Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What the Big 12, Big Ten and SEC Might Look Like as Future 16-Team Conferences
buckaineer Offline
Banned

I Root For: WV Mountaineers
A blog on possible realignment.

excerpt:

With the Big 12′s move to bring in West Virginia last fall, they signaled that they are no longer bound to the Midwest. They are willing to branch out if the right teams are available. And make no mistake, there are some “right teams” available and ripe for the picking in the ACC.

ACC football as a major player in the college landscape is living on borrowed time. You know it. I know it. Everybody knows it.

http://www.cfbdailynews.com/acc/what-the...nferences/
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2012 10:00 PM by buckaineer.)
04-14-2012 09:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
RE: What the Big 12, Big Ten and SEC Might Look Like as Future 16-Team Conferences
If this guy is going to grab ideas he has seen hypothesized about here, he should have followed those ideas fully.

Cincinnati over Pittsburgh in the Big 12?

Notre Dame will not have to move to the Big Ten in his scenario. The Big East will have plenty of pick ups after his supposed ACC armageddon. The remnants of the ACC staying and picking up schools like UCF and USF instead of taking the bigger money elsewhere? It is funny how people can get so close yet so far.
04-14-2012 10:23 PM
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
RE: What the Big 12, Big Ten and SEC Might Look Like as Future 16-Team Conferences
This is retarded.
04-15-2012 02:58 AM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
(04-15-2012 02:58 AM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  This is retarded.

Though I don't agree with most of it. It is just one man's opinion. It makes for interesting reading and is certainly thought provoking. Thanks for posting Buck.
CJ
04-15-2012 05:26 AM
ShoreBuc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU
Theory probably makes sense to the author but not to some of the schools he named. I know it would take a stick of dynamite to move NCST out of the ACC despite the fact it would make financial sense for them to go to the SEC. VT loves the Academics of the ACC and also dominating the ACC in Football. If they move to the SEC they take a step down in Academics and become an also ran in Football. They would also get an earful from the Gov of VA and State Legislators who sign off on their funding about leaving UVA when the politicians basically shoe horned them into the ACC with political manuevering.
I think the most ripe targets in the ACC for moving are FSU, Miami and Clemson. When it comes to expnasion you never know but I see a long pause in the process except for the Big 12 who will try and land some ACC schools. If they fail and go the easy route with inviting BYU, UL, UC etc.. then that pause on the march to Super 16 Conferences will probably last even longer.
04-15-2012 06:01 AM
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
First of all, if Florida State and Clemson break out of the ACC (which is a better way of saying it--if it happens, it's because FSU and Clemson ain't happy. ) one of two things happen.

One, more likely because ego >> money, (money just gives ego an excuse): Chapel Hill rallies and starts working their relationships to save the ACC. UNC and NC State have overlapping governing boards, Virginia and Duke REALLY don't want to leave North Carolina. Add in that Virginia Tech politically can't leave Virginia in the dust, and add in that Wake Forest knows that, if the ACC implodes, Wake Forest doesn't land a power conference spot. Make a public declaration by those six schools that the ACC is here to stay, and the ACC stays. It may lose members to the Big XVI, but the ACC will continue. And if the Virginia and North Carolina schools are off the table, then the Big Ten isn't interested, and the SEC is much less interested.

In that situation, the Big XVI East has Iowa State, West Virginia and picks up FSU, Clemson, Louisville, Miami and 2 more from the group of Pitt, Georgia Tech, Rutgers, UConn. That puts the ACC at 11 (they invite UConn and Rutgers if they're not XVI-bound) and they have to find a #12.

Two, if money beats ego, the ACC is done. The Big Ten gets first pick, and takes UNC, Duke, and two of GT, U-VA and U-Md. The SEC gets NC State, and Virginia Tech--either Virginia is in the Big Ten, or Virginia is sunk whatever VT does. Now Notre Dame is facing the four-superconference-apocalypse, still hates the Big Ten and still wants a "national schedule" and the Big XVI stretching from Texas to Miami to Morgantown and Ames is pretty national.

So the Big XVI East has Iowa State, West Virginia, FSU, Miami, Clemson, Notre Dame, and three of Louisville, Rutgers, UConn, Pitt, Syracuse, BC, Virginia/Maryland/GT.
04-15-2012 06:28 AM
Advertisement

Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
This is a personal blog. This is an exact copy of a Bleacher Report article.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/11450...onferences
04-15-2012 07:09 AM
blazr Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
ACC's days as a major football conference are numbered?!? Compared to the NBE?!? This blog = news bull**** has got to stop...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
04-15-2012 07:20 AM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
If NCSU and VT provide enough value to boost the SEC contract...

...and Miami, FSU, Clemson and GT provide enough value to boost the B12 contract...

...and Maryland and UVA provide enough value to boost the B1G contract...

...then either the ACC is seriously undervalued, or those schools need to drop BC, Duke, UNC, and Wake because they are really holding the league back financially.
04-15-2012 07:35 AM
buckaineer Offline
Banned

(04-15-2012 07:20 AM)blazr Wrote:  ACC's days as a major football conference are numbered?!? Compared to the NBE?!? This blog = news bull**** has got to stop...

Don't think the NBE is being considered a major football conference in the discussion.
04-15-2012 07:46 AM
buckaineer Offline
Banned

(04-15-2012 07:09 AM)Wolfman Wrote:  This is a personal blog. This is an exact copy of a Bleacher Report article.

Or is the Bleacher report an exact copy of this blog?
04-15-2012 07:47 AM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
(04-15-2012 02:58 AM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  This is retarded.
Is it any more retarded than many of the expansion scenarios that have come out in this forum over the last few years?
04-15-2012 07:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
buckaineer Offline
Banned

(04-15-2012 07:35 AM)Chappy Wrote:  If NCSU and VT provide enough value to boost the SEC contract...

...and Miami, FSU, Clemson and GT provide enough value to boost the B12 contract...

...and Maryland and UVA provide enough value to boost the B1G contract...

...then either the ACC is seriously undervalued, or those schools need to drop BC, Duke, UNC, and Wake because they are really holding the league back financially.

Not necessarily. Consider that the ACC is being offered essentially the entire Big East media contract or more for adding just two teams from the Big East. No different if ACC teams moved on. For the BIG--they would likely gain revenues from expansion of the BIG network into big markets with higher payouts from cable providers, so they could make money right away--and gain more in renegotiations with tv partners too.
04-15-2012 07:54 AM
hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
The SEC will not ever invade the ACC. The ACC and SEC actually work together on most things. Thats why both expanded at the same time and similar ideas about expansion. Any scenerio that has the ACC and SEC screwing each other over is simply trash.
04-15-2012 08:32 AM
buckaineer Offline
Banned

The SEC works with the ACC?

The SEC works for itself. It is commonly accepted that they indeed looked at adding ACC schools recently. The ACC reacted by working to up their buyouts--a move that was held back a bit by schools such as FSU and Maryland-- and rushing to add Pitt and SU. Had there not been a gentleman's agreement to not add same state schools some ACC schools would likely be in the SEC already.
04-15-2012 08:57 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
I've noticed a trend here. It used to be when a wild expansion situation was posted, everyone would jump in and give their opinions on who should do what. Now when a wild expansion situation is posted, everyone jumps in to give their opinions on why it won't happen...

Very interesting...
[Image: Laugh-In---Very-interesting-758874.jpg]
04-15-2012 09:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

He1nousOne Offline

(04-15-2012 09:03 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  I've noticed a trend here. It used to be when a wild expansion situation was posted, everyone would jump in and give their opinions on who should do what. Now when a wild expansion situation is posted, everyone jumps in to give their opinions on why it won't happen...

Very interesting...
[Image: Laugh-In---Very-interesting-758874.jpg]

That is what I do not get about this place. I absolutely understand why people would think a situation like this wouldnt happen. It is a very extreme situation.

What is the harm in talking about it in a "what if" type of discussion? That is all I do yet some folks get seriously bent out of shape. Now if I was a fan of an ACC school I suppose I might be a little worried about such a happening. If the Big Ten was to implode though I know that Iowa would still have a football program and would still land on it's feet.

It isn't like ANY wild theory that includes the ACC dwindling or falling apart includes the notion that any of those ACC schools do not land in another top conference. Hell if enough of them land back in the Big East that makes the Big East the conference Notre Dame is likely to fully join should they be pushed into such a decision.

It is JUST theory crafting people. Why get so bent out of shape?
04-15-2012 09:15 AM
He1nousOne Offline

(04-15-2012 07:20 AM)blazr Wrote:  ACC's days as a major football conference are numbered?!? Compared to the NBE?!? This blog = news bull**** has got to stop...

Why? Who is it harming?
04-15-2012 09:17 AM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
(04-15-2012 07:09 AM)Wolfman Wrote:  This is a personal blog. This is an exact copy of a Bleacher Report article.

If you look here:

In 20 years, the big conferences will break up once again and become smaller, more regionally friendly conferences. And when the money isn’t as big, conferences will start trying to pry members from one another once again.

Read more Florida State Football news on BleacherReport.com

Go to Source
Posted in ACC, Florida State Seminoles | Tagged conference realignment, oliver luck, west virginia university

Leave a Reply

the article actually links back to the source.
CJ
04-15-2012 10:00 AM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
(04-15-2012 07:47 AM)buckaineer Wrote:  

Or is the Bleacher report an exact copy of this blog?

The bleacher report is dated 2 days ago. The blog is dated yesterday. Either way it is one unreliable source quoting another unreliable source. The blogger didn't even make an attempt to offer his own opinion.
04-15-2012 10:11 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.