Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

BYU AD Update (Link)
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
BYU AD Update (Link)
Tom Holmoe, BYU's Athletic Director, gave an update on BYU.

From his update:

"There is open communication but nothing is imminent with the Big 12 conference."

“Conference affiliation and realignment is something that I think is going to be on-going,” Holmoe said. “Is it done? Is it dormant? I don’t know how to describe it. There are obviously still conferences that are jockeying.

“I need to be able keep open discussion with key friends of mine and people in conferences to find out where they are at and what they are doing. That communication continues but I can’t say that it has changed from how it has been for awhile. We continue to have discussions but to say they are earth-shattering would be wrong.”

Holmoe talked about how even though the rumors have calmed down, there is always a possibility things will change quickly.

“It’s important for me to get the information I need to lead BYU athletics forward to where we want to be,” he explained. “You know that there is potential, scenarios that everyone has talked about from the doomsday where we are left out to where we are in the best conference in America and everything in between

“We have a contingency plan for every one of those scenarios. In order to have those, you have to reshape them every time something new comes up. For every action, there is a reaction and that is how we try to play it.”

BYU and The Big 12

Note: Why is this important to UofL? We need a 12th. I continue to believe that The Big 12 will add two and neither will be from The ACC. Perhaps the door is open for UC.
CJ
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2012 09:26 AM by CardinalJim.)
04-14-2012 09:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
RE: BYU AD Update (Link)
Over heard several fans at the Red/White game today say They wanted Cincinnati and FSU or USF to come with Us.Also heard others say they loved staying in the BE as They didn't relate to schools that far West and thought recruiting Florida would suffer if No Florida schools were in the Big12 to play against.
Will Stien looked Great Today .
04-14-2012 04:20 PM
LaBradfordsTWill Offline
Special Teams

I really do believe a large segment of the UofL fanbase is okay with staying in the Big East. I also believe the football program would do better in the Big XII financially which helps the overall athletic department revenue, but is UofL interested in more money or stability? If Jurich and Ramsay feel the Big East is now stabilized, does that make their decision more difficult? Or is money the deciding factor no matter what?
04-14-2012 11:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

03-shhhh The only way Louisville does not go to the Big 12 now is they tell us no. I am hearing we will start Big 12 play in the Fall of 2013. 04-cheers
04-14-2012 11:24 PM
Advertisement

LaBradfordsTWill Offline
Special Teams

(04-14-2012 11:24 PM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  03-shhhh The only way Louisville does not go to the Big 12 now is they tell us no. I am hearing we will start Big 12 play in the Fall of 2013. 04-cheers

I've made my peace with the fact that we are moving to the Big XII. A small part of me hopes the ACC teams jump us so that we will have to stay in the Big East, but that is being selfish. If they feel moving to the Big XII is in the school's best interest, then I trust their judgment. I just hope we can keep playing our rivals in OOC schedules.
04-16-2012 10:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dgrace4cards Offline
All American

I Root For: UL
I would have liked to rebuild the Big East with some football teams previously and play underdog that could rise up, like we basically did as a school. But that's previous to Pitt, Cuse, WVU leaving town and now the core is gone, and the conference is obviously in desperation mode with some of the schools it has picked up. Now we have to look out for ourself more and more. The Big 12, provides a built in football schedule, helps with recruiting, and keeping coaches, while our traditional basketball image/results will take care of the basketball part of our schedule/recruiting/getting coaches. We can get the best of both worlds in the Big 12 with the 2 biggest sports, I dont' think we can get that in the Big East anymore.
(This post was last modified: 04-16-2012 11:32 AM by dgrace4cards.)
04-16-2012 11:08 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
(04-16-2012 11:08 AM)dgrace4cards Wrote:  I would have liked to rebuild the Big East with some football teams previously and play underdog that could rise up, like we basically did as a school. But that previous to Pitt, Cuse, WVU leaving town and now the core is gone, and the conference is obviously in desperation mode with some of the schools its picked up. Now we have to look out for ourself more and more. The Big 12, provides a built in football schedule and helps with recruiting, and our traditional basketball image/results will take care of the basketball part of our schedule/recruiting. We can get the best of both worlds in the Big 12 with the 2 biggest sports, I dont' think we can that in the Big East anymore.

I can't argue with that sentiment at all. Interestingly, there are still quite a few people who think the nBE's TV contract will be huge.

I don't see how, but it will be interesting to find out.
04-16-2012 11:18 AM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
I tend to agree with you, beej. I don't think the folks in The BEast are going to be as pleased as they think...
(04-16-2012 10:11 AM)LaBradfordsTWill Wrote:  
(04-14-2012 11:24 PM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  03-shhhh The only way Louisville does not go to the Big 12 now is they tell us no. I am hearing we will start Big 12 play in the Fall of 2013. 04-cheers
I've made my peace with the fact that we are moving to the Big XII. A small part of me hopes the ACC teams jump us so that we will have to stay in the Big East, but that is being selfish. If they feel moving to the Big XII is in the school's best interest, then I trust their judgment. I just hope we can keep playing our rivals in OOC schedules.
With only 3 OOC games to work with, that's going to be hard to do. Unless TV steps in with an offer that can't be refused, the Brawl is probably dead...
(This post was last modified: 04-16-2012 01:13 PM by bitcruncher.)
04-16-2012 01:12 PM
BigOwensboroCard Offline
1st String

Bit it was rumored before Pitt and Syracuse ran off to the ACC that the Big12 was actually pursuing the three of us ( WVU, Louisville, Pitt ) to form a the Big12 back to a actual 12 team conference. What, Why and When did Pitt decide this was a bad thing??? I for one think this would have been a awesome advantage for not only us three, but the Big12 as well. They ( Big12 ) already have a national rivalry with Texas and Oklahoma, and would gained another with the Back Yard Brawl of WVU and Pitt. Also in that package the would be getting the Cards who everyone knows is no push over in football, and if it were not for the worst hire ever by the program in 07 we could have competed IMO for a National Title with the talent we had. Also we have one of the best basketball teams in the country.

But as I get off topic here again Bit can you answer in your opinion WHY, WHEN, and What was Pitt thinking when they apparently declined basically voiding that move to the Big12??? yes I know everyone assumed that UT and OU were leaving, but everyone knew it was going to be to difficult to do so due to the Lognhorn network. So WHY turn that opportunity down for that lowly ACC invite???
04-17-2012 08:16 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
Pitt had more traditional rivals in the ACC. I guess they felt renewing those rivalries was more important...
04-17-2012 12:51 PM
Advertisement

EnterSandman Offline
Master Of Your Domain

I Root For: The Ville
(04-17-2012 12:51 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  Pitt had more traditional rivals in the ACC. I guess they felt renewing those rivalries was more important...

Makes since.
04-17-2012 01:27 PM
BigOwensboroCard Offline
1st String

(04-17-2012 01:27 PM)EnterSandman Wrote:  
(04-17-2012 12:51 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  Pitt had more traditional rivals in the ACC. I guess they felt renewing those rivalries was more important...

Makes since.

Who are they considering more traditional rivalries other than the ones who defected from the Big East 1st time around as well as Syracuse this time??? I really think their President screwed them for it sounds more like he just wanted to rub elbows with more distinguish institutions of the ACC than give rats ass about what the Big East was looking to do as well as possibly joining the Big12.

Outside of Syracuse, Boston College, Virginia Tech, and Miami who once upon a time belong to the Big East I just don't see them having rivalries with the other schools or long history of any kind in any other sport. So as much as that seems to make sense it really doesn't make sense either. I am wondering if the ACC showed them just how much more money they could see verse what they might expect from the Big East for the long haul. I just don't buy the traditional rivals for I have a hard time seeing them playing the likes of Virginia, Duke, NC State, Wake, UNC in all sports much less the big ones for yes they might have played them here and there on occasions, but to have history dating back to the ice age I doubt, but I could be wrong also, but it doesn't sound kosher IMO.
04-17-2012 02:27 PM
ctkatz Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: colorado avs
if the b12 was considering us, wvu, and pitt with a built-in rivalry, i don't really see then any problems with swapping out cincinnati for pitt. the b12 does gain a rivalry, although i admit it isn't as big or prominent in the media. virtually the same footprint is covered. the only stumbling block i see in this is if the b12 is giving serious consideration to uc. i don't see it, but i'm not a uc fan nor do i live in the area.
04-17-2012 07:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.