Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

"Low effort thinking," high BAC linked to conservative thought
Max Power Offline
Not Rod Carey

I Root For: NIU, Bradley
Maybe instead of breathalyzers cops should ask drivers' opinions on trickle down economics and gay marriage. 03-lmfao

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/...opular_art

Conservatives and liberals don't seem to agree about much,and they might not agree about recent studies linking conservatism to low intelligence and "low-effort" thinking.

As The Huffington Post reported in February,a study published in the journal "Psychological Science" showed that children who score low on intelligence tests gravitate toward socially conservative political views in adulthood--perhaps because conservative ideologies stress "structure and order" that make it easier to understand a complicated world.

Ouch.

And now there's the new study linking conservative ideologies to "low-effort" thinking.

"People endorse conservative ideology more when they have to give a first or fast response," the study's lead author,University of Arkansas psychologist Dr. Scott Eidelman,said in a written statement released by the university.

Does the finding suggest that conservatives are lazy thinkers?

"Not quite," Dr. Eidelman told The Huffington Post in an email. "Our research shows that low-effort thought promotes political conservatism, not that political conservatives use low-effort thinking."

For the study,a team of psychologists led by Dr. Eidelman asked people about their political viewpoints in a bar and in a laboratory setting.

Bar patrons were asked about social issues before blowing into a Breathalyzer. As it turned out,the political viewpoints of patrons with high blood alcohol levels were more likely to be conservative than were those of patrons whose blood alcohol levels were low.

But it wasn't just the alcohol talking,according to the statement. When the researchers conducted similar interviews in the lab,they found that people who were asked to evaluate political ideas quickly or while distracted were more likely to express conservative viewpoints.

"Keeping people from thinking too much...or just asking them to deliberate or consider information in a cursory manner can impact people's political attitudes,and in a way that consistently promotes political conservatism," Dr. Eidelman said in the email.

The study was published online in the journal "Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin."
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2012 10:46 PM by Max Power.)
04-11-2012 10:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
RE: "Low effort thinking," high BAC linked to conservative thought
The news just reported another story today. People get smarter after a couple of drinks.
04-11-2012 10:53 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
The Russians found Sasquatch, must be true, I saw it in the paper.
04-11-2012 11:04 PM
Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
Quote:Drink a couple of brewskies and you might ace that test

9 hrs ago

We can just imagine Budweiser's top brass high-fiving each other upon hearing that drinking alcohol before a test might improve your score (no, you're not sloshed, you read that right). In a study of 40 men, University of Illinois researchers found that subjects who downed two pints of beer before a quiz fared better than their sober counterparts. And not just a little better - the drinkers solved 40 percent more brain teasers than the teetotalers, and solved them faster. We're not advocating getting hammered before the LSATs, but if you've got a breathalyzer handy, the study says that the optimum blood alcohol level for enhanced "creative problem solving" is 0.07.

http://now.msn.com/living/0411-alcohol-i...cores.aspx
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2012 11:13 PM by Paul M.)
04-11-2012 11:12 PM
Advertisement

georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
Makes sense. You need ALOT of mental gymnastics to justify massive institutionalized generational and class theft.

But it is realllllll simple to say "You don't have any right to take my property, and that includes the fruits of my labor. Luckily for you, I don't have any right to take any of yours either."
04-11-2012 11:14 PM
Ninerfan1 Offline
Habitual Line Stepper

I Root For: Charlotte
Is Zimmerman still on the run?
04-12-2012 07:01 AM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(04-11-2012 11:14 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  Makes sense. You need ALOT of mental gymnastics to justify massive institutionalized generational and class theft.

But it is realllllll simple to say "You don't have any right to take my property, and that includes the fruits of my labor. Luckily for you, I don't have any right to take any of yours either."

Exactly.

Imagine, people wanting structure and order! Next thing you know they'll start using the scientific method to understand the world. 04-jawdrop
04-12-2012 07:04 AM
Advertisement

Jugnaut Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
I'm glad it says social conservative-ism lol. Economic conservative-ism still the realm of geniuses hehe
04-12-2012 07:06 AM
TampaKnight Offline
Knight Family

I Root For: The American
Now you guys aren't even being subtle. Everyone on this board posts a link to an article, and then turns the Topic title around to make it sound like something its not.

Groooow up. 03-lmfao
04-12-2012 08:00 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
I'mMoreAwesomeThanYou Offline
Medium Pimping

I Root For: America
(04-11-2012 11:14 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  Makes sense. You need ALOT of mental gymnastics to justify massive institutionalized generational and class theft.

Agreed. Max really has to make some intellectual leaps to justify his positions...I guess I'm too dumb to comprehend.
04-12-2012 08:17 AM
Advertisement

I'mMoreAwesomeThanYou Offline
Medium Pimping

I Root For: America
(04-12-2012 08:00 AM)TampaKnight Wrote:  Now you guys aren't even being subtle. Max posts a link to an article, and then turns the Topic title around to make it sound like something its not.

Groooow up. 03-lmfao

FIFY
04-12-2012 08:17 AM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
So max I take it all the inaccuracies in intelligence test have been taken care of... you know the ones that made "the bell curve" racist?id

(04-11-2012 10:46 PM)Max Power Wrote:  Maybe instead of breathalyzers cops should ask drivers' opinions on trickle down economics and gay marriage. 03-lmfao

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/...opular_art

Conservatives and liberals don't seem to agree about much,and they might not agree about recent studies linking conservatism to low intelligence and "low-effort" thinking.

As The Huffington Post reported in February,a study published in the journal "Psychological Science" showed that children who score low on intelligence tests gravitate toward socially conservative political views in adulthood--perhaps because conservative ideologies stress "structure and order" that make it easier to understand a complicated world.

Ouch.

And now there's the new study linking conservative eologies to "low-effort" thinking.

"People endorse conservative ideology more when they have to give a first or fast response," the study's lead author,University of Arkansas psychologist Dr. Scott Eidelman,said in a written statement released by the university.

Does the finding suggest that conservatives are lazy thinkers?

"Not quite," Dr. Eidelman told The Huffington Post in an email. "Our research shows that low-effort thought promotes political conservatism, not that political conservatives use low-effort thinking."

For the study,a team of psychologists led by Dr. Eidelman asked people about their political viewpoints in a bar and in a laboratory setting.

Bar patrons were asked about social issues before blowing into a Breathalyzer. As it turned out,the political viewpoints of patrons with high blood alcohol levels were more likely to be conservative than were those of patrons whose blood alcohol levels were low.

But it wasn't just the alcohol talking,according to the statement. When the researchers conducted similar interviews in the lab,they found that people who were asked to evaluate political ideas quickly or while distracted were more likely to express conservative viewpoints.

"Keeping people from thinking too much...or just asking them to deliberate or consider information in a cursory manner can impact people's political attitudes,and in a way that consistently promotes political conservatism," Dr. Eidelman said in the email.

The study was published online in the journal "Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin."
04-12-2012 11:52 AM
Max Power Offline
Not Rod Carey

Well this doesn't have anything to do with IQ. It suggest the "first or fast response" is more likely to be conservative.

"Gays marrying?"
"Heeeeeeeeeeyel no it's Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve" *spits tobacco and passes out in the puddle*
04-12-2012 11:57 AM
Advertisement

Max Power Offline
Not Rod Carey

"Lower taxes on the rich improves the economy?"
"Heeeeeeeeyel yes, poor people don't hire" *blank stare, passes out in tobacco spit again*
04-12-2012 11:59 AM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
(04-12-2012 11:59 AM)Max Power Wrote:  "Pay people to destroy the used cars that lower income people will buy?"
"Heeeeeeeeyel yes, it's greener and we can give the poor people money to buy more expensive cars" *blank stare, passes out a flyer on the evils of money*

FIFY
04-12-2012 12:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.