Game 1 Preview - Mississippi State
beavabumm
Unregistered

[Image: Oregon.gif] vs. [Image: Mississippi_St_OLD2.gif]

August 31, 2002
Autzen Stadium
Eugene, OR

The Coaches
Miss. State - Jackie Sherrill, 12th season, 70-56-2 (.555)
Oregon - Mike Belotti, 8th season, 60-23 (.723)

The Series
First Meeting

Game Summary
Oregon loses its star QB Joey Harrington, so the offensive spotlight shifts over to new QB Jason Fife. The Ducks will keep the same ground power though, as State is likely to have fits with RB Onterrio Smith. The Ducks are used to the air attack, as most Pac-10 teams use it, so for State to win, they have to rely on a ground attack and run the clock as much as possible. The key to the State ground game is RB Dontae Walker, who for 3 years has stood in the shadow of hyped-out Dicenzo Miller. State needs to keep it low scoring. If Oregon's offense finds its flow, the Ducks will cruise to victory. Fife is a new QB, but he has a trio of experienced WRs which he'll benefit from greatly.

Prediction
Oregon won't push State over. Don't be surprised if Miss. State jumps out to a quick lead. This MSU team wants badly to forget last year's 3-8 fiasco, and I expect the first two quarters to be low-scoring, as MSU will control the clock with a patient ground offense. They'll even run the 24 second game clock all the way down..in the first half. I don't expect Miss. State to control the clock for the entire game though. All it'll take is one quick strike and the State game plan will fall. Joe Lee Dunn just doesn't have the magic he used to in creating defensive havoc. The game is in Oregon, and the Ducks simply have more talent. Onterrio Smith will have a big game, and the Oregon offense has too many weapons for Miss. State to handle. Give the win to Gang Green, but again, not a blowout. I had Oregon 23, Miss. State 16 earlier, but I'll tack on another 3 for the home team

Final - Oregon 26, Mississippi State 16
08-01-2002 10:07 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

muvet
Unregistered

This should be a very good game and I won't say that Oregon will just push over Miss State. I think the Bulldogs will be hungry this year because many people expected them to go to a bowl game last year.

I see Oregon coming out victors because of veterans like Garrett Graham, Onterrio Smith and Kenan Howry. Should be a fun game and I can't wait to watch it.

Go ducks!! Go Pac-10!!
08-01-2002 12:02 PM
Advertisement

RacerJoe01
Unregistered

I also see the Ducks pulling it out.

No one is on the hot seat more than MSU's Jackie Sherill. If they don't turn it around, it could be lights out.
08-13-2002 04:17 PM
muvet
Unregistered

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by JoltinJacket:
I also see the Ducks pulling it out.

No one is on the hot seat more than MSU's Jackie Sherill. If they don't turn it around, it could be lights out.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It could be lights out for Sherill. I think he is a great coach and I expected MSU to have a better season last year. I see Oregon winning the game too. The ducks defense should be outstanding and the offense will score but won't be as explosive as last year without Joey Heisman.
08-18-2002 08:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.