Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is Ohio's Arena The Best?
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Is Ohio's Arena The Best?
Lots of articles lately about Ohio and saying they have the best basketball facilities in the MAC. But is that true?

Yes, at 13,000 the convocation Center is the MAC's largest and an impressive building from the outside. Over 40 years old, the building was basically a political pork project pushed through the Ohio senate by representatives from Southeast Ohio.

Having been there many times, I would maintain that the seating isn't very fan friendly, with upper level seats at such extreme angles that you feel you're falling forward. There are a few pull-out bleachers at floor level, but the rest of the lower-level seats are raised from court level like a hockey rink.

With no modern amenities like a center hung video board, luxury seating, first-rate wight and sports medicine facilities, the "Convo" is large, but that's about it.

Even with one of the best basketball teams in OU history, the Bobcats averaged 6,100 per home game, less that half capacity in the cavernous building.

Is it the best in the MAC?
04-04-2012 09:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EA3 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU
RE: Is Ohio's Arena The Best?
Ohio fans would argue that size in fact does matter...but unfortunately there are no adult film stars in the MAC.
04-04-2012 09:22 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(04-04-2012 09:22 AM)EA3 Wrote:  Ohio fans would argue that size in fact does matter...but unfortunately there are no adult film stars in the MAC.

Who was the ex-MAC player who made a film a few years back? I think he was a transfer out of ...NIU, maybe? Anyone recall this? Way off topic.
04-04-2012 09:33 AM
JSF Offline
Rich, Good Looking, Has a Rapist Wit

I Root For: World Peace
(04-04-2012 09:18 AM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  Even with one of the best basketball teams in OU history, the Bobcats averaged 6,100 per home game, less that half capacity in the cavernous building.

I thought it was around 7,500 this season.
04-04-2012 05:57 PM
Advertisement

rocket 51 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
Convo is interesting...when the place has a crazy crowd it is very hard to win there but when there is no interest it is anything but hostile...years ago worst part used to be the trip down and back especially the mid week games...roads are better now. Not sure how the seating is now but back then the students sat right behind the visitors bench...the seats were typical bleechers and they literally had their seats two rows behind the visitors team. They were really funny with what they used to yell at Coach Nichols especially when he wore a sweater vest.
04-04-2012 06:43 PM
rockytop Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo
[quote='DetroitRocket' pid='7757956' dateline='1333549131']
Lots of articles lately about Ohio and saying they have the best basketball facilities in the MAC. But is that true?

No!
04-04-2012 07:07 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
I think Savage Arena is the "Nicest" Arena. The Suites, and comfy seating on the one side are second to none... The concourse is nicer than most, and the main entrance is one of the best in the MAC. May not be the best environment, and it's not the biggest but for a non basketball fan I bet they would really like the lounge capability of UT 03-wink It's my favorite. I think Ball State, NIU, OU, and EMU have a big time feel to them.
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2012 07:41 PM by UofToledoFans.)
04-04-2012 07:41 PM
Advertisement

Terry Offline
All American

I Root For: The Rockets
EMU's Arena is a waste of (my) Michigan tax payers money!!!!!!03-hissyfit03-hissyfit03-hissyfit[/b]
04-05-2012 08:31 AM
inductchuck16 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
OU has a nice arena, with lots of seating...but I'll take Toledo's over theirs any day.
04-07-2012 11:12 PM
pono Online
Heisman

I Root For:
size is largely irrelevent in the mac where only the small arenas occasionally sell out.

the convo has always been a great big game environment and its a cool arena in some ways. who cares about club suites (unless you are concerned w corporate marketing). their students are great when its a big game.

savage is the best arena now to me. good size, great condition, cool fan friendly perks, the right layout. our fans for women's hoops are great, men's crowds not too intense.

emu has an excellent facility, and solely based on the building they are up there. however, tough to take it seriously w 600 fans inside.

kent probably has the most consistent crowd energy

ball st has a nice big facility but their fan base is way down from the old days

niu has the nice big new bldg but like emu tough to consider when 93% empty

central has a new arena now too along w the bright barn in bg. actually, mac bball facilities probably as strong as ever, really
04-08-2012 05:38 PM
Advertisement

H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I'll never forget my first trip to EMU's new place. guy in line for tickets said "Wow, we never draw this well. This has to be twice as many fans as usual. Are they running something special tonight?" Guess he thought I was an EMU fan-I ppoiinted out they wre playing Toledo and he was stunned that Toledo had that many fans there. The cheerleaders threw shirts to the crowd and my daughter got one after it laid on the floor for awhile because there were no EMU fnas anywhere near it. I gave her the stink-eye and she kinda looked at me and said "Hey, its free." She still has it.
04-08-2012 09:12 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo
She can wear it to school on days they study Australian fauna.
04-08-2012 09:48 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
(04-08-2012 09:48 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  She can wear it to school on days they study Australian fauna.

That's the name of EMU's Australian Punter right? lol
04-08-2012 11:52 PM
Advertisement

UT1 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(04-08-2012 05:38 PM)pono Wrote:  size is largely irrelevent

That's what she said!!!
04-09-2012 06:53 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

(04-08-2012 09:48 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  She can wear it to school on days they study Australian fauna.

Of course, being Eastern, they say EMU but have a picture that looks more like an eagle. The Graphic Arts program isn't that strong.
04-09-2012 08:27 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.