Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Louisville Can Cry All the Way to the Bank (Wall Street Journal)
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
Louisville Can Cry All the Way to the Bank (Wall Street Journal)
The Wall Street Journal reported this today. It states that Louisville is the most valuable College Basketball program. The link follows.

Louisville Can Cry All the Way to the Bank
04-02-2012 11:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
RE: Louisville Can Cry All the Way to the Bank (Wall Street Journal)
(04-02-2012 11:25 AM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  The Wall Street Journal reported this today. It states that Louisville is the most valuable College Basketball program. The link follows.

Cash Rules Everything Around Me-(C.R.E.A.M)...$$$$ Dolla $$$$ Dolla $$$$ bill y'all...lol04-cheers

04-02-2012 11:57 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
Very Nice...Louisville was the homerun addition for the BE.
04-02-2012 01:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(04-02-2012 11:25 AM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  The Wall Street Journal reported this today. It states that Louisville is the most valuable College Basketball program. The link follows.

The YUM Center is amazing.

And so are UofL's fans. Though reports from New Orleans said the fan split in the SuperDome was about 70-30 in favor of Kentucky.
04-02-2012 05:23 PM
cardshouse Offline
UofL 4 Playoff!

I Root For: UofL Cardinals
Money is nice and all but if it ain't used for cheating its no good. (Being sarcastic.)
04-02-2012 06:11 PM
ULdave Offline
Special Teams

(04-02-2012 05:23 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  And so are UofL's fans. Though reports from New Orleans said the fan split in the SuperDome was about 70-30 in favor of Kentucky.
There might be 500,000 UofL fans in the world, there may be more than 3 million UK fans. The nature of the state and its relationship to our city (oddly people from the state hate the city) will always make it hard for UofL's fanbase to compete in numbers with UK. The big difference however is that the city is the economic engine of the state, and Louisville fans and local businesses have the financial resources to support our programs at the same level, or better than actually, as UK.
04-02-2012 06:18 PM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

(04-02-2012 06:18 PM)ULdave Wrote:  
(04-02-2012 05:23 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  And so are UofL's fans. Though reports from New Orleans said the fan split in the SuperDome was about 70-30 in favor of Kentucky.
There might be 500,000 UofL fans in the world, there may be more than 3 million UK fans. The nature of the state and its relationship to our city (oddly people from the state hate the city) will always make it hard for UofL's fanbase to compete in numbers with UK. The big difference however is that the city is the economic engine of the state, and Louisville fans and local businesses have the financial resources to support our programs at the same level, or better than actually, as UK.

As far as traveling goes, i don't think anyone touches UK. Anywhere they go, a sea of blue-clad fans follows.
04-02-2012 07:57 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN
(04-02-2012 07:57 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

As far as traveling goes, i don't think anyone touches UK. Anywhere they go, a sea of blue-clad fans follows.

Makes you wonder why UK is ranked so low. Also, what methodology the guy used to make that assessment when Northwestern is on the list. Is it due to B1G's TV dollars?

Also, UL's biggest asset is the YUM center. While UL is generating higher revenue, YUM center is barely profitable with expenses keep going up. I wonder what they are doing to fix that problem without jacking up the rent. Profitability for YUM center is way below expectations. At end of the day, it is still a bottom line business.

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/2...louisville
04-02-2012 08:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
3rdandBlunder Offline
1st String

The Yum! Center has it's issues, but it's still been good for the city as a whole...not just Cardinal basketball. The money it generates in the local economy are sure to offset the money being spent on it's expenses at the moment. I'm curious as to what the solution will by myself, however.

As for the rest of the state hating Louisville...it's true. Most of us are OK with that. I hate the rest of the state, personally.
04-02-2012 08:16 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(04-02-2012 08:08 PM)SF Husky Wrote:  

Makes you wonder why UK is ranked so low. Also, what methodology the guy used to make that assessment when Northwestern is on the list. Is it due to B1G's TV dollars?

Also, UL's biggest asset is the YUM center. While UL is generating higher revenue, YUM center is barely profitable with expenses keep going up. I wonder what they are doing to fix that problem without jacking up the rent. Profitability for YUM center is way below expectations. At end of the day, it is still a bottom line business.

Good point. Makes you also wonder about the politics of a deal that is such a sweetheart for UofL but not nearly so much for the city?
04-02-2012 10:29 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

(04-02-2012 10:29 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  Good point. Makes you also wonder about the politics of a deal that is such a sweetheart for UofL but not nearly so much for the city?

UofL, Tom Jurich and Papa John Schnatter had City Officials by the short and curlys when the arena was being planned. If UofL didn't get the deal it wanted it would have simply built it's own arena, on campus, without assistance from the city or state, and Yum would never have been built. The city needed UofL and UofL knew it.

As for the position of some programs on the list like UK. Keep in mind they have a huge fan base... a huge poor fan base. The average UK fan has never been to a game in Rupp or saw the Cats play in person. They are what many would call a T-Shirt fan base. While Louisville, fans and the city, support Louisville with their checkbooks, Kentucky fans support UK by buying T-Shirts at Walmart. No doubt UK fans are rabid about UK. Unfortunately for the state they don't have the money to support it like many programs.

The bottomline is Louisville makes the money for the state and most of it stays in Louisville. UofL has a corporate base that would rival most NBA franchises. Couple that with the deal UofL gets with the Yum and UK, with it's antiquated basketball facilities, can't compete.
CJ
04-03-2012 03:59 AM
Advertisement

CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
YUM!Center revitalized a roll up Downtown area after 5 pm.outside of the recently built 4th St Live, and riverfront area it was a ghost town. Now the area is quickly becoming one of the most successful redevelopments in the nation. Even in a Horrible economy the last 3 years.
04-03-2012 06:02 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(04-03-2012 03:59 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  
(04-02-2012 10:29 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  Good point. Makes you also wonder about the politics of a deal that is such a sweetheart for UofL but not nearly so much for the city?

UofL, Tom Jurich and Papa John Schnatter had City Officials by the short and curlys when the arena was being planned. If UofL didn't get the deal it wanted it would have simply built it's own arena, on campus, without assistance from the city or state, and Yum would never have been built. The city needed UofL and UofL knew it.

Ok, well that explains it. Thanks! 04-cheers

Quote:As for the position of some programs on the list like UK. Keep in mind they have a huge fan base... a huge poor fan base. The average UK fan has never been to a game in Rupp or saw the Cats play in person. They are what many would call a T-Shirt fan base.

... but UK does sell out Rupp arena, and UK does have an immense traveling fan base. I've been to NCAA regional at least 4 times when UK happened to be one of the teams involved, and every time they absolutely numerically swamped the fan bases of other teams. Even of blue-chip teams like Kansas and Louisville this past weekend in New Orleans.

And Walmart fans don't travel.
04-03-2012 07:50 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(04-03-2012 07:50 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Quote:As for the position of some programs on the list like UK. Keep in mind they have a huge fan base... a huge poor fan base. The average UK fan has never been to a game in Rupp or saw the Cats play in person. They are what many would call a T-Shirt fan base.

... but UK does sell out Rupp arena, and UK does have an immense traveling fan base. I've been to NCAA regional at least 4 times when UK happened to be one of the teams involved, and every time they absolutely numerically swamped the fan bases of other teams. Even of blue-chip teams like Kansas and Louisville this past weekend in New Orleans.

+2

While every fan base as t-shirt fans (i.e. many that just don't have the means to travel to games or purchase season tix)...and yes, they are still IMPORTANT to any and every program (they buy merchandise, even from places like Walmart), to say that UK fans don't have CA$H is just laughable and naive.

UK fans poured in approx 15,000 of the 17,000 that showed up for days at the SEC Tourn in New Orleans 4 weeks ago.

UK fans poured in by 20,000 plus for the NCAA Regionals in Atlanta.

UK fans poured in by 50,000 plus to New Orleans for the Championship Game....spending THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of $$$$$ on expensive hotel rooms, stub hub tix, etc....

NO ONE in college hoops (its not even close) has the traveling fan base like UK...as their hoop traveling fan base rivals that of even the best football programs.

What some probably don't know is that while Rupp is the largest on-campus "Basketball" arena (i.e. not a dome used for football) in the country, the 36 yr old building doesn't have suites or club seats, which generate tons of incomes for those with new buildings today...plus, most, if not all seats in the upper deck are "bleacher seats", which offers more seating for more fans vs individual chairback seats which are found in mostly new arenas today.

UK and Lexington are trying to come up with plans to either renovate Rupp Arena...or possible build a new one...but they have to figure out how not to displace many long-time season tix holders...as with a renovation or a new arena will include new suites and club seats, which will most likely take away general seating from some long-time season tix holders.
(This post was last modified: 04-03-2012 08:01 AM by KnightLight.)
04-03-2012 07:59 AM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
They know they can find a Walmart in any city or town They visit.They save the tuition money They didn't spend on Their kids education to support UK by going to these Tournaments and Bowl games as their Vacations.
04-03-2012 08:08 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(04-03-2012 08:08 AM)CardFan1 Wrote:  They know they can find a Walmart in any city or town They visit.They save the tuition money They didn't spend on Their kids education to support UK by going to these Tournaments and Bowl games as their Vacations.

Come on....don't be "that" fan.

One would never want FACTS to get in the way now would they?

Common Data Set (Gov't Numbers):

Full-time Applications to:
Louisville: 7,749
Kentucky: 13,537

Full-time Freshmen that enrolled:
Louisville: 2,514
Kentucky: 4,325
(This post was last modified: 04-03-2012 08:33 AM by KnightLight.)
04-03-2012 08:23 AM
Advertisement

Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(04-03-2012 07:50 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Yeah, Kentucky definitely has the best traveling basketball fan base. They certainly have a lot of T-shirt fans like any SEC school, but they also have a large alumni base that has plenty of money and is willing to spend it on tickets. By all accounts from who I've talked to that was in New Orleans this past weekend, Kentucky fans dominated and it wasn't even close (and that's competing with 3 other schools of Kansas, Louisville and Ohio State that are among the VERY best in terms of traveling fan bases).
04-03-2012 08:47 AM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul

The use of profits as a factor is actually why this WSJ list isn't as good as the Forbes ranking that came out a couple of weeks ago. That sounds weird (isn't the point to make a profit?), but school report expenses so dramatically different that it's impossible to compare them. Top line revenue (without taking into account expenses), though, is fairly comparable among schools. There's no logical universe where the Kentucky basketball program is only a few spots ahead of Northwestern in terms of value. Northwestern probably reports very low expenses because their basketball arena is literally nothing more than a high school gym with pullout bleachers, so they're basically just pocketing the Big Ten conference level revenue without having to do much else.

Regardless, Louisville came out on top of the Forbes ranking, too. The YUM! Center deal is a sweet one for Louisville - no one else in college basketball has anything like it right now.
04-03-2012 08:57 AM
CD11 Offline
I won.

I Root For: Myself
Can someone tell me why the other thread with the ESPN blog piece about UL's revenue against UK was deleted instead of being moved or merged with this one?
04-03-2012 09:03 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(04-03-2012 08:57 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  

The use of profits as a factor is actually why this WSJ list isn't as good as the Forbes ranking that came out a couple of weeks ago. That sounds weird (isn't the point to make a profit?), but school report expenses so dramatically different that it's impossible to compare them. Top line revenue (without taking into account expenses), though, is fairly comparable among schools. There's no logical universe where the Kentucky basketball program is only a few spots ahead of Northwestern in terms of value. Northwestern probably reports very low expenses because their basketball arena is literally nothing more than a high school gym with pullout bleachers, so they're basically just pocketing the Big Ten conference level revenue without having to do much else.

Regardless, Louisville came out on top of the Forbes ranking, too. The YUM! Center deal is a sweet one for Louisville - no one else in college basketball has anything like it right now.

I think if we combine Knightlight's post with yours we get a picture here: On one hand, UK's arena doesn't have the sweet profit-making amenities of modern arenas so they don't make nearly as much per-seat as UofL does. On the other, even taking that into account, it beggars belief that UK's program is worth only a little more than Northwestern's, so there is also something wrong with the data being used ...

After all, UofL's YUM amenities, which are basically NBA-level, are pretty much unique. No one else has that either, so why is UK behind other programs too?
04-03-2012 10:43 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.