Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New subdivision in D1 coming?
TOGC Offline
Resident genius

I Root For: Memphis
New subdivision in D1 coming?
Good thing Memphis finally made it into the Big East.

Quote:NCAA President Mark Emmert told reporters this week he has suggested to university presidents they consider changing the setup of NCAA governance to address the Division I financial gap. It's a gap where Alabama and Auburn spend more than $100 million, and UAB, South Alabama, Troy and Samford operate budgets of $25 million or less. And the gap keeps widening.

This issue isn't new to former NCAA President Cedric Dempsey. The NCAA restructured itself in the 1990s, largely due to concerns about legislative equity. The one-school, one-vote model was abandoned. The 11 Football Bowl Subdivision conferences -- including all six BCS conferences -- are now permanently on the 18-member Division I Board of Directors.

"I would suspect there's going to be either another subdivision or a separate division itself," Dempsey said. "Control and money are the driving forces."

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/...i_wea.html
03-31-2012 08:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

broncodude Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Boise State
RE: New subdivision in D1 coming?
It will stop when the SEC gets everything and everyone in the place they want them, those with
no place to sit at the table goes to the kiddie table and eats scraps.
We Broncos are still in shock were being asked to tag along, at least for a year or two.
03-31-2012 03:15 PM
Bleedin Blue Offline
Bench Warmer

If not officially, there's bound to be a subdivisions naturally. Here's how I see it forming:

Tier 1: SEC - B1G - PAC12
Tier 2: Big 12 - ACC
Tier 3: Big East
Tier 4: MW - CUSA - MUSA - Whatever
Tier 5: Sun Belt WAC
03-31-2012 04:25 PM
Bleedin Blue Offline
Bench Warmer

Not sure why the article makes it a basketball issue though. Isn't this more of a football problem? Football is the sport that makes, and costs, the most money BY FAR. As it is, there are 20 some odd basketball conferences in Division 1. smaller schools can better afford it. I have no doubt a football restructure will happen, but other than a few schools dumping their olympic sports in other conferences, I don't see how it will effect basketball all that much. You can still have the same amount of basketball teams in D-1.
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2012 04:33 PM by Bleedin Blue.)
03-31-2012 04:32 PM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
(03-31-2012 04:32 PM)Bleedin Blue Wrote:  Not sure why the article makes it a basketball issue though. Isn't this more of a football problem? Football is the sport that makes, and costs, the most money BY FAR. As it is, there are 20 some odd basketball conferences in Division 1. smaller schools can better afford it. I have no doubt a football restructure will happen, but other than a few schools dumping their olympic sports in other conferences, I don't see how it will effect basketball all that much. You can still have the same amount of basketball teams in D-1.

they could do something like seperate divisions or classes for schools that offer and dont offer FB. Every now and then you'll see a "cup ranking" of schools that dont offer FB.

They could tier teams in a fbs, fcs and then non fb thus "forcing" a conference to be all sport. who knows?
03-31-2012 09:40 PM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

I Root For: The Bridge of Death
(03-31-2012 04:25 PM)Bleedin Blue Wrote:  If not officially, there's bound to be a subdivisions naturally. Here's how I see it forming:

I don't see the ACC being ahead of the Big East. Public perception is already sliding with the ACC. Where the Big East has a history / tradition / powerhouse / top heavy problem, the ACC is just mediocre across the board, exceptions being a Virginia Tech / FSU every other year. Hell, in terms of football power, the only powers in the PAC12 are USC / Stanford / Oregon and MAYBE Utah, and their basketball is worse than some Oly sport only conferences.

If these "divisions" are based solely on tv deal and bowl tie-in agreements, then you may be spot on, but in football performance they need modification.
03-31-2012 10:14 PM
Advertisement

TOGC Offline
Resident genius

I can't wait for the nBE to start up in 2013. We will prove our point on the field and on the court. At worst, I see the nBE being the fifth best football conference and the second best basketball conference. Most likely, they'll do better than that.
03-31-2012 10:18 PM
TOGC Offline
Resident genius

BTW, I posted the same thread on the "Conference Expansion" board. Every troll on CSNBBS is over there ripping the nBE a new one. I'd avoid that thread unless you enjoy arguing with crazy people.
03-31-2012 10:19 PM
DFW HOYA Online
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
(03-31-2012 04:25 PM)Bleedin Blue Wrote:  If not officially, there's bound to be a subdivisions naturally. Here's how I see it forming:

Except you haven't tiered the America East, Atlantic Sun, A-10, Big Sky, Big South, Big West, Colonial, Horizon, Ivy, MAAC, MEAC, Missouri Valley, Norheast, Ohio Valley, Patriot, Southern, Southland, SWAC, Summit, and West Coast, all of whom have a seat at the table and are not going away quietly or without a fight.
03-31-2012 10:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
I love competition. The ACC is pathetic. I see the nBe performing very well in respect to them in the future. I see our recruiting grounds being a key advantage.
03-31-2012 11:02 PM
TOGC Offline
Resident genius

Honestly, I'd like to thank the ACC for taking some dead weight off our hands.
03-31-2012 11:07 PM
Advertisement

Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

I Root For: The Bridge of Death
I say, OOC games should be our most important focus. We can rip each other a new one in conference all we want, but if we don't lose OOC games (including post season), who cares? Just proves that the conference as a whole is better than anything out there. I wish there was a way to send a message to our AD's to schedule the best OOC games we can, and place heavy incentives on winning those, akin to winning conference championships, like a bonus for going undefeated OOC (dependant on SOS) akin to a bowl victory.

That would be nice.

That being said, I am now an avid Big East fan. If there comes a Big East exclusive tv package i'd be the first to buy it, AND get the largest tv I can so I can split screen the games (considering we will have games ALL day every saturday, come 2013) 03-cloud9
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2012 11:13 PM by Kruciff.)
03-31-2012 11:12 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(03-31-2012 11:07 PM)TOGC Wrote:  Honestly, I'd like to thank the ACC for taking some dead weight off our hands.

[Image: cops_agree_gif.gif]

I don't believe Cuse and Pitt are going to catch fire anytime soon... It'll be interesting to watch. That was a basketball move, pure and simple.
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2012 11:19 PM by BigEastHomer.)
03-31-2012 11:13 PM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
(03-31-2012 10:18 PM)TOGC Wrote:  I can't wait for the nBE to start up in 2013. We will prove our point on the field and on the court. At worst, I see the nBE being the fifth best football conference and the second best basketball conference. Most likely, they'll do better than that.

+1,000 04-cheers
03-31-2012 11:25 PM
justinslot Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers&Temple
The thread in the other forum was closed, but I still wanted to ask: does anybody really think this is going to involve any sport other than football? I mean, any decision that takes all the non-"BCS" (in quotes since who knows what they'll call it) schools out of March Madness is going to be staggeringly unpopular.
04-01-2012 08:58 AM
TOGC Offline
Resident genius

(04-01-2012 08:58 AM)justinslot Wrote:  The thread in the other forum was closed, but I still wanted to ask: does anybody really think this is going to involve any sport other than football? I mean, any decision that takes all the non-"BCS" (in quotes since who knows what they'll call it) schools out of March Madness is going to be staggeringly unpopular.

It's all speculation at this point. The Big 6 + ND, BYU, and the remaining service academies could break away for all sports, but that doesn't seem as likely. I'm guessing that they'll break away from the other football playing members to form another football division, but it will only have a marginal effect on the other sports.
04-01-2012 10:09 AM
Advertisement

Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
It will involve only football. Football is the big money separator. I think these is why the alliance is being formed. They want to make sure they are included if this does happen. By going to 24 they can protect themselves as the lowest wrung in the top category. Sun Belt, MAC and WAC are the ones that might be in trouble.
04-01-2012 10:17 AM
TOGC Offline
Resident genius

Of course, they could do essentially the same thing by making the requirements for FBS more stringent.

Mandatory home attedance average of 20K or more.

Mandatory athletic budget of $40M or more.

Minimum sixteen varsity sports sponsored.

The attendance requirement alone would've knocked 26 schools out of FBS.
04-01-2012 10:26 AM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(04-01-2012 10:26 AM)TOGC Wrote:  Of course, they could do essentially the same thing by making the requirements for FBS more stringent.

Mandatory home attedance average of 20K or more.

Mandatory athletic budget of $40M or more.

Minimum sixteen varsity sports sponsored.

The attendance requirement alone would've knocked 26 schools out of FBS.

Attendance will never be used. It is hard to get a real number and you can always sell discount tickets or give tickets away to change numbers.
The same thing with budgets. They are all not accounted the same way.
The reality is that it doesn't bother the Big Ten nor the SEC for the Sun Belt and MAC to survive in same division because they are not a real competitor. As long as football in the biggest division can stay away from an NCAA playoff that gives every conference champion the same access to NC there will be no split
04-01-2012 11:08 AM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns

No no no, to many levels.

D1-6 BCS conferences and maybe MWC-USA.
D1AA-WAC, MAC, Sun Belt, MWC-USA (if not included in D1), top current 1AA teams. (Delaware, App St, Montana, Eastern Wash etc)
D1AAA-Rest of 1AA and anyone in D2 who wants to move up.
04-01-2012 01:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.