Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

$$ is the only thing holding the MAC behind BCS
Bookmark and Share
Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Offline
All American

I Root For: Collar Popping
$$ is the only thing holding the MAC behind BCS
Is money the only thing holding back the MAC from BCS quality? I think so. If the MAC could find the money to keep our coaches we would be outstanding. Its like an automatic feedback-loop that ensures whenever a program is gaining momentum and producing Top 20 results, that coach is hired away for more money, the program stalls with disruption, and back down the program slides.

We have been the proving grounds for the Big Ten and others. Several coaches and assistant ADs have been taken by the B1G this year alone.

What if today BG still had Urban Meyer, Toledo had Gary Pinkel, Akron could hold onto Terry Bowden, Ohio held onto Groce, Kent State had Stan Heath, CMU had Brian Kelly etc...? There was like 60 active MAC players on NFL rosters this year, the talent is there. If we could hold onto our coaches, we could build monster programs and fans follow.

I know there are many other great coaches, but those are who popped in my head.

No coach stays in the MAC more than 5 or so years on average. If they are good, they are hired away for more money and if they are losing, they are replaced. Only mediocre coaches ever stick around longer. (Although I'm impressed that Solich is content)

By the way, I found this funny: Illinois has a MACohol problem.

http://mobile.hustlebelt.com/2012/3/27/2...tervention

(This post was last modified: 03-28-2012 12:26 PM by Miami (Oh) Yeah !.)
03-28-2012 12:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Zippy989 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Akron
RE: $$ is the only thing holding the MAC behind BCS
(03-28-2012 12:23 PM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  Is money the only thing holding back the MAC from BCS quality? I think so. If the MAC could find the money to keep our coaches we would be outstanding. Its like an automatic feedback-loop that ensures whenever a program is gaining momentum and producing Top 20 results, that coach is hired away for more money, the program stalls with disruption, and back down the program slides.

We have been the proving grounds for the Big Ten and others. Several coaches and assistant ADs have been taken by the B1G this year alone.

What if today BG still had Urban Meyer, Toledo had Gary Pinkel, Akron could hold onto Terry Bowden, Ohio held onto Groce, Kent State had Stan Heath, CMU had Brian Kelly etc...? There was like 60 active MAC players on NFL rosters this year, the talent is there. If we could hold onto our coaches, we could build monster programs and fans follow.

I know there are many other great coaches, but those are who popped in my head.

No coach stays in the MAC more than 5 or so years on average. If they are good, they are hired away for more money and if they are losing, they are replaced. Only mediocre coaches ever stick around longer. (Although I'm impressed that Solich is content)

By the way, I found this funny: Illinois has a MACohol problem.

http://mobile.hustlebelt.com/2012/3/27/2...tervention

FYI.. Mike Thomas. AD at Illinois, is the former AD at Cincinnati and before that???

Drum Roll........ AD at Akron.....

Mike Thomas Bio

"Prior to taking the athletic director position at UC, Thomas spent five years as the Director of Athletics at the University of Akron and seven years as associate athletic director at the University of Virginia, an institution known for achieving impressive success both academically and athletically, before bringing that model to Akron. Virginia finished in the Top 25 in the Director's Cup in each year of Thomas' tenure there while at the same time finishing in the Top 10 nationally in student-athlete graduation rates.

Under Thomas' direction, Akron rose from last place to second among Mid-American Conference schools in the Director's Cup annual rankings. Simultaneously, Akron vaulted from last to second place in the MAC Academic Achievement Awards. Thomas increased the financial base of the Akron athletics program through increasing corporate sponsorship levels by 750 percent and boosted annual giving to athletics to its highest level in the school's history. Community support was rallied, with record increases shown in both football and basketball attendance.

During this time period, the Zips won their first MAC football championship and Thomas' hire of men's basketball coach Keith Dambrot has led to unparalleled success on the hardwood with Dambrot's program becoming the most successful in the MAC over the past six seasons. While at Akron, support services and facilities for academic support for student-athletes were significantly improved, resulting in jumps in grade point averages and graduation rates of UA student-athletes. During his Akron tenure, Thomas was a member of the MAC Infractions Committee and chaired the Women's Basketball Committee. "
03-28-2012 01:59 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
Don't forget paying the players and their parents.
03-28-2012 02:56 PM
Advertisement

Howl-n-Prowl Away
Three SDs above the mean

I Root For: Los NIU Huskies
Then there's the hookers. There's always hookers.
03-28-2012 03:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Karl Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbs
(03-28-2012 03:08 PM)Howl-n-Prowl Wrote:  Then there's the hookers. There's always hookers.

And blow. Hookers and blow.
03-28-2012 03:11 PM
Advertisement

bronconick Offline
Hockey Nut

I Root For: WMU/FSU
(03-28-2012 03:11 PM)Karl Wrote:  
(03-28-2012 03:08 PM)Howl-n-Prowl Wrote:  Then there's the hookers. There's always hookers.

Oh yeah? We're going to have a conference with hookers and blow.

In fact, just forget about the conference.
03-28-2012 05:40 PM
Okie Chippewa Offline
All American

I Root For: The MAC
I've just realized the REAL meaning of "Hook'em Horns"!
03-28-2012 07:00 PM
Advertisement

NIU007 Online
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(03-28-2012 05:40 PM)bronconick Wrote:  

Oh yeah? We're going to have a conference with hookers and blow.

In fact, just forget about the conference.

I just thought of 2 good names for the Big 10's divisions....03-idea
03-30-2012 03:57 PM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I Root For: Broncos

and Tats. Gotta have 'em. Ask tOSu.

As for the idea behind this thread, the main difference is fans, or the lack of them for the MAC. We don't have schools with legions of bandwagon fans simply because the school name is the same as the state in which it resides. Call them Wal Mart Wolverines or whatever, but they don't flock to MAC schools because it's been implied for many years by the pro BCS press that the MAC is minor league.
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2012 05:56 PM by MileHighBronco.)
03-30-2012 05:53 PM
NIUfilmmaker Online
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
(03-30-2012 05:53 PM)MileHighBronco Wrote:  

and Tats. Gotta have 'em. Ask tOSu.

As for the idea behind this thread, the main difference is fans, or the lack of them for the MAC. We don't have schools with legions of bandwagon fans simply because the school name is the same as the state in which it resides. Call them Wal Mart Wolverines or whatever, but they don't flock to MAC schools because it's been implied for many years by the pro BCS press that the MAC is minor league.

I think we've changed that a bit in our favor over the last decade, with increased bowl appearances, etc. Lets beat on the press for more love, raise more $, the fans and hookers will come naturally thereafter (hopefully not in that order).
03-30-2012 06:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.