Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Chicago Sun-Times reports Ohio's Groce possible target for Illness
Bookmark and Share
Howl-n-Prowl Away
Three SDs above the mean

I Root For: Los NIU Huskies
MyBB Chicago Sun-Times reports Ohio's Groce possible target for Illness
Illinois looking at Butler’s Brad Stevens, Ohio’s John Groce

Quote:Even though Illinois is prepared to come up with an eight-year deal worth more than $20 million, it’s not clear whether Stevens is genuinely open to changing jobs or simply was interested in hearing what Illini representatives had to say.

Quote:Groce, 40, not only fits the hiring profile of Thomas, who took new football coach Tim Beckman from the Mid-American Conference, but he also would be more likely to be a long-termer at Illinois than some high-profile candidates who’d be tempted to leave for other jobs.
03-25-2012 07:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ouvan59 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Ohio
RE: Chicago Sun-Times reports Ohio's Groce possible target for Illness
Sigh
03-25-2012 08:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GFlash68 Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State

Crappies
Sorry for the Ohio fan base, but take it from one who has experienced this situation more that anyone else in the MAC. Bend over, it is probably done by tomorrow. Just when you think you have a coach who may not going just for the money, situation reverses in a hurry. My guess is that it is nearly a done deal at this moment. Just a few minor details being worked on tonight.
03-25-2012 08:50 PM
ouvan59 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Ohio
(03-25-2012 08:50 PM)GFlash68 Wrote:  Sorry for the Ohio fan base, but take it from one who has experienced this situation more that anyone else in the MAC. Bend over, it is probably done by tomorrow. Just when you think you have a coach who may not going just for the money, situation reverses in a hurry. My guess is that it is nearly a done deal at this moment. Just a few minor details being worked on tonight.

You can't blame him. As much as we like to talk about loyalty and trust he is looking out for more than just Ohio. This is a life changing event. Sucks for us but it's the reality of the successful mid-major program. It would be great if we had the ability to step up like VCU, Butler or Gonzaga and pay him a competitive salary but we aren't there yet (if ever). Apparently my keeping my fingers crossed over the last week didn't work.
03-25-2012 08:56 PM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
You can't downplay the effect of all the attention a coach gets when they make a run like OU did. Suddenly all the big time media are interviewing you, you're on network TV, you're in demand. It can be intoxicating. Coaches start to like the big time, and think, I could do this full-time! When you spend a few years in the MAC, the lack of attention and exposure and the fact that nobody knows you can wear down a big ego, which most head coaches have. Good MAC coaches can feel they deserve better, so when it comes along, it's hard to resist.

On the other hand, he has said he has a commitment to D.J...Maybe that will keep him another year.
03-25-2012 09:02 PM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

I Root For: High Fashion
I posted this report first in another thread and aside from a mention by a source there isn't anything to indicate that Groce to Illinois is a done deal.

Now what I have heard is the president of Ohio University brought some big name donors to the St. Louis regional to take a look and see what Groce has put together on a big stage. The biggest challenge the university faces in paying Groce more money is the Board of Trustees have to approve any salary package so Groce has to be deemed sufficiently worthy of the raise.

These Groce reports may be enough for Ohio to try and counter at 1 million per season with an incentive package for winning the MAC tourney and NCAA games at 100k per win.

The 450,000 figure offered by Ohio was the base offer prior to the Sweet 16 game by the university but his most impressive performance yet (even though in a losing effort) was in St. Louis. That sweet 16 game builds a belief that Groce COULD make a Final Four next year and build a regular top 25 program that earns respect from the public.

It should be interesting. If he leaves I hope we hire internally because what he's doing defensively needs to continue for a long time in Athens.
03-25-2012 09:25 PM
Advertisement

Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

Here's the problem I see about keeping Groce....almost every other viable candidate has declined.

BCS minority coaches: Lenonard Hamilton, Johnny Dawkins

Mid major Final 4 guys: Shaka Smart, Brad Stevens, Jim Larranaga (left for Miami FL last year)

Illinois could look at going with a big name assistant or even somebody from the NBA....

They couldn't really do much better than John Groce if they want a guy with college HC experience willing to take the job.

What about Stan Heath? He won Big East coach of the year at South Florida in 2012, a job with very little pedigree digging his way back to respectability after being fired by Arkansas.

Heath is a Midwest guy, played at Eastern Michigan and coached in the Midwest up until taking the Arkansas job in 2002. The Big East is going to have a lot of unknowns with some of the new names coming in 2013 and now would be a nice time to punch a ticket to get out of there.

How much would it cost Illinois to get Heath? They might be able to do it for 8 years and 20 million. I doubt he's making much more than 1 million at South Florida. It would be one of these unusually rare chances for Heath to move up in jobs after failing in the SEC.
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2012 10:01 PM by Louis Kitton.)
03-25-2012 09:58 PM
perimeterpost Offline
All American

I Root For: OHIO
logic says that Groce goes but the fan in me hopes he stays. I think the answer lies in this video, but I don't exactly what it is-

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketba...3-michigan

about 30 seconds into the video Groce chokes up when he mentions Athens, and in another interview later on he's asked the same question and gives the same answer, and chokes up at the same spot. What I can't figure out is why he chokes up there- is it because he's grown attached to the school/town/program and appreciates their support or is it because he knows he's about to leave and piss off a lot of people that have supported him?

maybe its neither, maybe its both.
03-25-2012 10:08 PM
Howl-n-Prowl Away
Three SDs above the mean

Chicago Tribune reports:
Butler's Stevens turns down Illinois' offer

Brad Stevens has formally REJECTED a reported 8-year $21 million contract offer from the Illness.

So the coaching search now focuses on Groce as the top candidate the Tribune reports.
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2012 10:21 PM by Howl-n-Prowl.)
03-25-2012 10:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

(03-25-2012 10:20 PM)Howl-n-Prowl Wrote:  Chicago Tribune reports:
Butler's Stevens turns down Illinois' offer

Brad Stevens has formally REJECTED a reported 8-year $21 million contract offer from the Illness.

So the coaching search now focuses on Groce as the top candidate the Tribune reports.

That is what the reports are saying BUT they are interested in a minority coach...perhaps Stan Heath? He made a nice run with the South Florida Bulls this year.

If Groce goes, quite honestly he got the job done in Athens by loading the roster with talent. We will NEVER go back to the way played ball under Larry Hunter with big man oriented half court offense and crappy guard play.

We're in the top 4 of the MAC to stay.
03-25-2012 10:27 PM
Campbell4President Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo
If Groce leaves, I hope he holds out for the biggest possible contract from Illinois. All of their fans are sooooo above taking head coaches from the MAC but maybe not so much now that Ohio has had that Sweet 16 run. If they only made it to the field of 32 or simply made the NCAA tournament, they would have a huge issue with hiring that same coach. Illinois fans believe their athletic programs are much better than they actually are but I do admit that their bball program is a much better sell than their football program.

I would however lmao if both Stevens and Groce turned down the offer, although I do not see that happening. As far as I see it, Groce is in the drivers seat should Stevens turn it down. He is now a name and returns a whole Sweet 16 team next year. The confidence that team will have going into next season will be sky high and he can use it as leverage in negotiations. He can basically walk into negotiations making it known that he is in a really great position and expects to have many high profile job opportunities next year and beyond and that he doesn't need this job at Illinois unless they are going to make it very worth his while. I hope he runs it up.

After reading that article about Cooper's parents saying that he refused to look at transferring to Baylor and someone else because he committed to Groce, if Groce were to leave, I think the respectable thing to do is to meet with Cooper and his parents and the parents of the other players first to explain his situation and get their understanding. He doesn't have to but it would be the right thing to do. And they would respect him for it and they'd understand.
03-25-2012 10:30 PM
Advertisement

Howl-n-Prowl Away
Three SDs above the mean

(03-25-2012 10:27 PM)Louis Kitton Wrote:  That is what the reports are saying BUT they are interested in a minority coach...

Stevens is Caucasian. Fair to say it's not a prerequisite.
03-25-2012 10:46 PM
onlinepole Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NU & NIU
Have heard that the Illini were interested in former Chicago Bull standout Reggie Theus. Well known name in the state and has head coaching experience. Was a huge star at UNLV. Wouldn't be surprised if he got an offer.
03-26-2012 02:10 PM
EA3 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU
(03-25-2012 10:46 PM)Howl-n-Prowl Wrote:  
(03-25-2012 10:27 PM)Louis Kitton Wrote:  That is what the reports are saying BUT they are interested in a minority coach...

Stevens is Caucasian. Fair to say it's not a prerequisite.

Feeling pressure to hire a minority coach and actually having one that they are interested in are two completely different things.

Illinois is interested in hiring the best coach available. They felt the same pressure when the hired Beckman, and he still got the job.
03-26-2012 02:16 PM
onlinepole Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NU & NIU
There however was not a football equivalent of Reggie Theus available during the football coach hiring period.
03-26-2012 02:23 PM
EA3 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU
Ohio fans better hope that some idiot with a "source" isn't telling the truth on the Twitter.

@SiggySports: "John Groce will be the next coach @Illinois.His plane arrives @Williard Airport at 3:30 today.My sources say "it's done"

Guy only has 5 followers and 2 tweets total. Not sure if that qualifies as credible...but if it is, he's the first to break the story and Twitter is gonna start blowing up.

If not, this Twitter account probably just became the least popular one in the Midwest.
03-26-2012 03:27 PM
Advertisement

uakronkid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Akron
The Ohio players were notified. It's done.
03-26-2012 03:34 PM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

(03-26-2012 03:34 PM)uakronkid Wrote:  The Ohio players were notified. It's done.

Not so fast my friend......

Quote:Arkley just tweeted that Cooper's "bad news" tweet was non-basketball related, according to Coop.

I thought Twitter was creepy, but camping out in front of an airport webcam is a new one.

http://www.bobcatattack.com/messageboard...D=1&page=2
03-26-2012 04:48 PM
Howl-n-Prowl Away
Three SDs above the mean

Chicago Tribune

Haugh: Illinois' search turns into debacle
Process that began amid such promise will end smacking of desperation

[Image: 600]

Quote:Had Akron guard Brian Walsh hit an open 18-footer with nine seconds left in the Mid-American Conference championship game two weeks ago, Illinois fans never would have spent Monday Googling the name John Groce.

But Walsh missed, the Ohio team coached by Groce hung on for a 64-63 victory to clinch an automatic berth in the NCAA tournament and, here we are, with Illinois ready to take home the girl it met five minutes before closing time.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2012 12:32 AM by Howl-n-Prowl.)
03-26-2012 11:15 PM
Campbell4President Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo
That's exactly what that dbag of an AD deserves. Not that Groce will be a bad hire but still...
03-27-2012 12:06 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.