Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Groce rumored to be awaiting large raise from Ohio
Bookmark and Share
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

I Root For: High Fashion
MyBB Groce rumored to be awaiting large raise from Ohio
Quote:According to several Mid-American Conference sources, league rumors have Groce leaning — and leaning hard — toward staying at Ohio University if his only suitor is Nebraska.

To make sure they keep him, the Bobcats are believed to be willing to up Groce’s salary to close to $450,000 per year. His current salary is reportedly $250,000, with incentives bringing his total compensation to close to $300,000.

Unless a better job comes up — and it may if Ohio can upset of No. 1-seed North Carolina on Friday — expect Groce to stay in the best job in his league. That may not be worth giving up until the perfect opportunity comes his way.

http://www.recordpub.com/news/sports_article/5170323

-While the terms of Groce's contract haven't been released, the expected amount would make Groce the highest paid coach in the MAC by at least 50,000. And deservedly so as the guy has coached in more NCAA games than any other coach.

-When Groce brought the Bobcats to the round of 32 in 2010, he received an instant contract raise though extending for a fixed term of 5 years. Groce's new extension is likely again for 5 years.

Anytime he places the team in the NCAA's from here on out he'll be able to earn for himself a nice little payday and 5 more tacked onto the contract as general policy. That isn't a bad deal if you ask me. At 450,000 now he's a NCAA run away from 650,000 to 750,000 per year following this pattern.
03-22-2012 06:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GoBullsGo Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Buffalo Bulls
RE: Groce rumored to be awaiting large raise from Ohio
I hope for Ohio and the MAC's sake that it keeps Groce at OU and isn't just a glorified increase in his buyout for any potential suitors.
03-22-2012 07:03 PM
Bobcat110 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Guess
It'd be nice. I'm hoping for another run next year since all are back and Ohio gives him a nice raise to do so. After that, he'll get some offers he probably can't refuse.
03-22-2012 07:47 PM
OhioBobcatJohn Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio
The experience the rotation is getting with this kind of tournament run will make Ohio better next year. The sophmore class of Smith, Kellogg, Hall and Johnson are getting playing time and will be even more productive next year as they will have the confidence. Next years senior class of Cooper, Offutt, Baltic and Keely with be dominating after the confidence they have gained playing and playing well in college basketball's biggest stage. Ohio will be perhaps the top bracketbuster draw next year and really help the MAC's rpi earning a top TV game. ESPN likely shows Ohio a lot next year. Kent State had lots a benefits of deep teams after their elite eight run. The Ohio crowds in Cleveland next March should be huge and the team will be a favorite to win.
03-23-2012 12:15 AM
ilovegymnast Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State
I think Ohio's success next year depends on egos. If they come into next year thinking they are better than everyone and to good to play certain teams will be their downfall. If they come in humble and take every game seriously then they will be one hell of a force to deal with.
03-23-2012 01:30 AM
EA3 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU
Last week you claimed Groce was gonna get 600k from Ohio. Now the numbers comes out at 450k...and you claim it's "a NCAA run away from 650,000 to 750,000 following this pattern."

Huh? You think if Groce stays, Ohio is going to agree to increase his salary to more than double any other MAC coach? I realize he is worth it, but MAC AD's don't make decisions like that.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/col...story.html

You'd think if he was staying at Ohio and loved Athens so much, he would come out and say it. Instead he gives a "no comment" to the questions regarding Illinois and Nebraska.

Any new contract talk with Ohio and Groce right now is a dog and pony show...with the intent to change the buyout in Ohio's favor and let everyone know that Ohio stands behind its coach and bball program (and rightfully so).

Shaka turned down Illinois because he's already making 1.2 mill
Marshall turned down Nebraska because he already makes 900k PLUS incentives.

These guys are already multi millionaires because of their contracts! Its a heck of a lot easier to be picky when you are already taking in checks for 100k per month.
03-23-2012 11:32 AM
Advertisement

Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UMass
Hope he is well paid, Duquense fans have mentioned Groce as a possible coach candidate after firing Everhart. For some prospective the top A10 teams pay experience coaches around 1 Million.
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2012 05:49 PM by Steve1981.)
03-23-2012 05:33 PM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

(03-23-2012 05:33 PM)Steve1981 Wrote:  Hope he is well paid, Duquense fans have mentioned Groce as a possible coach candidate after firing Everhart. For some prospective the top A10 teams pay experience coaches around 1 Million.

Part of the reason why Groce isn't paid more than 450,000 a year is an overall MAC record of 34-30. That's not too fantastic.

Stick with Ohio. A few more NCAA runs and the money will come.
03-23-2012 06:12 PM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

Quote:Labeled a ‘hot, can’t-miss’ assistant at OSU, Groce didn’t jump at the first opening that came his way. It was a measured approach that led him to Athens in 2008. Former Ohio coach Tim O’Shea had just left the program to take a seven-year guaranteed contract with Bryant University, and fresh-to-Ohio Athletic Director Jim

Schaus conducted a quick search.

Schaus quickly identified Groce as his best candidate.
“It was really easy,” Schaus said in 2010, after Ohio made the NCAA Tournament and then upset Georgetown in the opening round in Providence, R.I.

In Ohio, Groce saw a chance to build a program — something he witnessed first-hand at his stops in Butler and Xavier. He felt Ohio’s tradition, stability and leadership were such that his goal of building a national program could take root.

He touched on the subject again Tuesday. Ohio’s run to the Sweet 16? Groce never doubted it was possible.

“Yes I thought it was possible or I wouldn’t have left Ohio State. I had a good job there,” he said. “I came because I saw a lot of potential in this place.”

http://www.athensohiotoday.com/sports/oh...3ce6c.html
03-24-2012 10:41 AM
Okie Chippewa Offline
All American

I Root For: The MAC
Groce has a good thing going at Ohio. Seems to me he isn't gonna jump unless an opportunity arises at one of the Big Boy conferences with a school having a decent basketball predigree.
03-24-2012 11:21 AM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

(03-24-2012 11:21 AM)Okie Chippewa Wrote:  Groce has a good thing going at Ohio. Seems to me he isn't gonna jump unless an opportunity arises at one of the Big Boy conferences with a school having a decent basketball predigree.

At least for this season, there aren't many openings available for Groce. Groce is also a Midwest guy so I couldn't see him in a conference like the PAC-10 or somewhere in the South. Louisville, Indiana, Michigan State....jobs like that will be open to him after 8 years of success at Ohio.

Nebraska had to settle for Tim Miles out of Colorado State:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120323/NEWS01/703239880
03-24-2012 11:36 AM
Advertisement

Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

Groce may be in the mix again with Illinois.....or Groce is just using the Illinois job opening as leverage for an even bigger raise at Ohio than what was scheduled.

Quote:Butler coach Brad Stevens met with Illinois officials Sunday, multiple sources told the Sun-Times, but it might not have been what people think.

Even though Illinois is prepared to come up with an eight-year deal worth more than $20 million, it’s not clear whether Stevens is genuinely open to changing jobs or simply was interested in hearing what the Illini representatives had to say.

‘‘They may even have called him to ask about [Ohio coach] John Groce,’’ one source said, referring to someone else on athletic director Mike Thomas’ radar after he guided the Bobcats to their second strong NCAA tournament in three years.

Stevens and Groce, who worked together briefly at Butler, remain close. Stevens was Butler’s coordinator of basketball operations in 2000-01, when Groce was a Bulldogs assistant.

Groce has been contacted by Illinois. Sources said that was a preliminary move, but it might move forward this week if Stevens’ interest doesn’t heat up.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/colleges/...groce.html
03-25-2012 06:24 PM
DICK Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I think Illinois could fit the criteria of a Midwest school with a bigtime tradition who would be willing to make Coach Grose a rich man. I tend to agree with Louis K that Coach Groce should not leave unless it is a bigtime program, but I think Illinois is big enough to be hard to turn down.
03-25-2012 08:41 PM
ouvan59 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Ohio
(03-25-2012 08:41 PM)DICK Wrote:  I think Illinois could fit the criteria of a Midwest school with a bigtime tradition who would be willing to make Coach Grose a rich man. I tend to agree with Louis K that Coach Groce should not leave unless it is a bigtime program, but I think Illinois is big enough to be hard to turn down.

Unfortunately I agree. Damn you Shaka Smart!
03-25-2012 08:43 PM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
That kind of money and opportunity is life-changing. Smart has a different situation at VCU. Besides the money, there are people and family issues keeping him there that are more than what I imagine Groce has in Athens or most itinerant (i.e. almost all) coaches have.

And coaches know that you really can't predict what the next year will bring if you stay put. You have to decide if you want to be there in a not so successful season, knowing you passed up a major job. Smart could say 'yes' to that question. Very few other coaches would. And you can't blame them.
03-25-2012 08:51 PM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

(03-25-2012 08:51 PM)axeme Wrote:  And coaches know that you really can't predict what the next year will bring if you stay put. You have to decide if you want to be there in a not so successful season, knowing you passed up a major job. Smart could say 'yes' to that question. Very few other coaches would. And you can't blame them.

I think Groce should feel safe that the Bobcats will finish at least in the top 4 of the MAC with everybody returning.

Groce's career MAC regular season record is 34-30 (.531) after four seasons. He goes 12-4 in the MAC next year and he moves his regular season MAC record to 46-34 (.575) and has time to sign a few big name 2014 recruits that he'll promise to take with him if he switches jobs before he leaves.

Groce has made a killing off of landing Big Ten transfers like Bassett (Indiana) and Offutt (Ohio State). He hasn't recruited that great outside of them and DJ Cooper. I think he still could use a few more years to build a reputation.

Why try to rebuild Illinois which could be very difficult to do when Louisville could be open in a couple of years which if he could get a job like that its pretty much lifetime job security when he could be out the door in 3 years at Illinois.
03-25-2012 09:12 PM
Advertisement

Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

Brad Stevens turns down the job at Illinois...Groce moves up in the pecking order.

Quote:Ohio University coach John Groce has become the leading candidate to replace Bruce Weber as head coach of Illinois, according to Jeffe Goodman of CBSSports.com.

Groce led the Bobcats to the Sweet 16 this season. The Illini also targeted Virginia Commonwealth coach Shaka Smart, but he turned down the offer.

Goodman is also reporting that Butler coach Brad Stevens was contacted and also declined the job.

Groce, 40, is 85-56 in his career at Ohio.

http://tracking.si.com/2012/03/25/report...-illinois/
03-25-2012 09:29 PM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

(03-23-2012 11:32 AM)EA3 Wrote:  Huh? You think if Groce stays, Ohio is going to agree to increase his salary to more than double any other MAC coach? I realize he is worth it, but MAC AD's don't make decisions like that.

You keep saying that Ohio will dictate its behavior based on MAC norms. I don't see it.

Ohio laid a contract extension on the table that was about twice what any other MAC school would pay. Ohio is committed to having success with for its basketball program. They are spending more than MAC schools, they buying home games unlike other schools in the conference. Quite simply we are looking for national success.

What you aren't understanding is our program made a cultural shift from a front court/half court oriented team about 8 years ago and since that time its resulted in 3 MAC tourney championships. The AD and president at Ohio have as much to do with how our basketball program operates than what Groce does.

If it were not for some of the issues of players leaving the program abruptly in the 2005-2010 timeframe Ohio would have won far more conference championships. For the first time we've finally got the roster stabilized and the result is a Sweet 16.
03-25-2012 10:40 PM
EA3 Offline
Heisman

It's extremely hard to read your opinions about Groce with a straight face.

Last week you said Groce should be getting 600k from Ohio. The other day, it came out that he was getting a 450k extension. Then you said he was another tourney run away from reaching 600-700k. Now you claim Ohio brought in some big time donors that might pay him 1 mill per season. Huh?

When are you going to realize that Ohio is still in the MAC? You grossly over exaggerate everything you state in regards to Ohio. It's quite exhausting.

I don't care if Ohio is buying home games (although you exaggerated that last week as well). I don't care if Ohio's bball budget is 400k larger than it's next MAC opponent (although you claimed it was 1 million last week).

You need to separate your wishful thinking and reality.
03-26-2012 05:57 AM
EA3 Offline
Heisman

(03-25-2012 10:40 PM)Louis Kitton Wrote:  
(03-23-2012 11:32 AM)EA3 Wrote:  Huh? You think if Groce stays, Ohio is going to agree to increase his salary to more than double any other MAC coach? I realize he is worth it, but MAC AD's don't make decisions like that.

You keep saying that Ohio will dictate its behavior based on MAC norms. I don't see it.

Ohio laid a contract extension on the table that was about twice what any other MAC school would pay. Ohio is committed to having success with for its basketball program. They are spending more than MAC schools, they buying home games unlike other schools in the conference. Quite simply we are looking for national success.

What you aren't understanding is our program made a cultural shift from a front court/half court oriented team about 8 years ago and since that time its resulted in 3 MAC tourney championships. The AD and president at Ohio have as much to do with how our basketball program operates than what Groce does.

If it were not for some of the issues of players leaving the program abruptly in the 2005-2010 timeframe Ohio would have won far more conference championships. For the first time we've finally got the roster stabilized and the result is a Sweet 16.

Your AD will make decisions based the fact that Ohio is part of the MAC. Why? Because they aren't going anywhere in the near future. I know you desperately want to believe that a bigger/better conference is knocking on the door...but it isn't. The AD laid out an extension worth 450k, because despite the sweet 16 run this year, Ohio's bball budget isn't going to double or triple anytime soon. Your AD isn't dumb enough to pay himi more because he realizes that once you pay a certain amount, its practically impossible to tell the next coach that he isn't getting that amount. Not to mention, when Groce leaves, your AD has to roll the dice with another coach. You think AD's like to gamble when they are on a limited budget?

You think what Ohio has done is greater than anything ever accomplished in the MAC. That is the problem. You fail to realize that Groce still hasn't won the regular season MAC title in four years, has a 34-30 league record, and won in 2010 because Bassett got hot.

You think your AD is gonna pull down his pants because Ohio finished 3rd in the MAC this year, got hot at tourney time and won the MACC, and got the most favorable draw for a double digit seed in the tourney hence making a Sweet 16 run?

As for the bolded portion above. Again...wishful thinking.

You just make stuff up in your fantasy land and expect people to buy what your selling in this forum.
03-26-2012 08:21 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.