for a 4th round pick per ESPN

03-21-2012 11:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user
RE: Tim Tebow traded to the Jets
wow! was just listening to furman and artrell this morning about sanchez' bltching from yesterday. i still do love rex ryan

03-21-2012 12:02 PM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
I despise Rex Ryan, but the Jets just stole a QB for a 4th rounder. That is the baseball equivalent of a sack of baseballs and three bats.

03-21-2012 12:24 PM
Advertisement

Bearcat_Bounce Offline
God Like Summoner

I Root For: Winners
Final details of the trade are Tim Tebow and a 7th round pick for a 4th and 6th round pick per ESPN

03-21-2012 12:29 PM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

DonatorsDonators
Jets acquire Tim Tebow for 2 picks

By Rich Cimini

Unusually quiet in recent weeks, the New York Jets shattered the calm Wednesday by completing a trade for polarizing quarterback Tim Tebow.

The Jets sent two picks -- a fourth-rounder and sixth-rounder in 2012 -- to the Denver Broncos in exchange for a seventh-round selection.

Tebow, a former first-round pick, went on the trading block Monday when the Broncos secured free agent Peyton Manning, who signed a five-year, $96 million contract.

Several teams expressed interest, including Tebow's hometown Jacksonville Jaguars, but the Jets -- perceived as a sleeper at the outset -- pulled off the splashiest trade of the offseason.

Tebow -- he has three years remaining on his contract, with a base salary in 2012 of $1.1 million -- will join a cast of backups behind incumbent Mark Sanchez, but his presence could ignite a quarterback controversy. Cornerback Antonio Cromartie tweeted before the trade that "we don't need Tebow," expressing his confidence in Sanchez and the current roster.

Asked on Tuesday what he thought it would be like to play with a player of Tebow's caliber, Sanchez told FoxSportsRadio in Los Angeles, "I think Peyton (Manning) will do great, I think Tim will do great no matter what happens. He's either going to get a great chance to learn from one of the best quarterbacks to ever play, or he moves on somewhere else and he uses his skills at another ballclub. He definitely has talent. He knows how to win, he knows how to inspire players."

The timing of the trade is curious.

Two weeks ago, the Jets gave Sanchez a three-year, $40.5 million contract extension, professing their faith in him even though he regressed in certain areas last season. They signed former Detroit Lions backup Drew Stanton last week to be their No. 2 quarterback, handing him a $500,000 signing bonus. They also have former Alabama star Greg McElroy.

The Jets see Tebow as a change-of-pace player with the ability to run the wildcat offense. They've used the wildcat in recent years, but cut back last season with the departure of Brad Smith. The new offensive coordinator is Tony Sparano, who introduced the wildcat to the NFL as coach of the Miami Dolphins.

Coach Rex Ryan also wants the Jets to get back to being a power-running team, but they have only one proven back, Shonn Greene. The 6-foot-3, 238-pound Tebow rushed for 660 yards last season, including a 20-yard touchdown in the final minute to beat the Jets, 17-14, in a November game at Denver.

A few weeks earlier, Tebow beat Sparano and the Dolphins with one of his trademark comebacks, overcoming a 15-0 deficit to win in overtime, 18-15.

There's also some thought that Tebow and his clean-cut image could help polish the negative perception of the locker room, torn by discord last season. But others close to the team said that was no factor whatsoever in the decision.

But there could be potential backlash for the Jets. Tebow's enormous popularity could turn into a distraction, especially for Sanchez. If Sanchez struggles, the fan base ostensibly could turn on him and start clamoring for Tebow.

This also will be an adjustment for Tebow as he returns to a backup role. He became one of the most popular athletes in the nation last season, replacing Kyle Orton and leading the Broncos -- seemingly dead after a 1-4 start -- to an 8-8 record and the AFC West title. He did it with a run of miraculous finishes, one more improbable than the next.

Tebow won his first playoff game, beating the Pittsburgh Steelers with an 80-yard touchdown pass to Demaryius Thomas on the first play of overtime. The following week, Tebow crashed hard in a 45-10 loss to the New England Patriots.

Broncos executive John Elway anointed Tebow as the starting quarterback going into training camp, but that didn't prevent him from entering the Manning sweepstakes.

Clearly, the Broncos were troubled by his flawed mechanics as a passer. Tebow completed only 46.5 percent of his throws last season.

It should be interesting to see how Tebow is welcomed in the locker room. During the run-up to last November's game, the Jets' defensive players weren't complimentary when discussing his passing skills. Cornerback Darelle Revis said Tebow's unorthodox style as an option quarterback couldn't sustain long-term success in the NFL.

As it turned out, Tebow made the playoffs and Sanchez didn't. Sanchez struggled down the stretch, fueling speculation about his future. Publicly, team officials backed him, but also promised the quarterback depth chart would have a different look in 2012.

They weren't kidding.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/...ource-says

03-21-2012 12:34 PM
Advertisement

Marcus Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
What a dumb move by the Jets. Two below average QB's now on the roster that are going to cause their lunatic fans and the media to call for a QB change every single time one of the guys makes a mistake.

I think the Broncos came out good in the deal for simply unloading Tebow and his salary.

The Broncos got lucky to get rid of him so easily.

(This post was last modified: 03-21-2012 01:32 PM by Marcus.)
03-21-2012 01:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Coopdaddy67 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ice cream
(03-21-2012 01:30 PM)Marcus Wrote:  What a dumb move by the Jets. Two below average QB's now on the roster that are going to cause their lunatic fans and the media to call for a QB change every single time one of the guys makes a mistake.

I think the Broncos came out good in the deal for simply unloading Tebow and his salary.

That's the key. Tebow could be a great wildcat QB in the right situation, but this isn't it.

03-21-2012 01:35 PM
Advertisement

Marcus Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-21-2012 01:35 PM)Coopdaddy67 Wrote:  
(03-21-2012 01:30 PM)Marcus Wrote:  What a dumb move by the Jets. Two below average QB's now on the roster that are going to cause their lunatic fans and the media to call for a QB change every single time one of the guys makes a mistake.

That's the key. Tebow could be a great wildcat QB in the right situation, but this isn't it.

I agree. This is going to do the Jets far more harm than good for the very reasons I mentioned. You're going to see all kinds of dissention and a divided locker-room IMO.

03-21-2012 01:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

DonatorsDonators
I couldn't give two hoots in hell about Tebow. Why is everyone reading/commenting about a 3rd string QB, when there is a coach that has been suspended for a year, another coach who has suspended indefinitely, a team fined 1/2 million dollars, among other more important matters?

03-21-2012 02:00 PM
Bearcat04 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The CATS
Jets’ trade for Tebow hits a snag, could be voided, Rams may get him

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 21, 2012, 3:26 PM EDT

Tim Tebow may not become a New York Jet after all.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that the Broncos and the Jets have encountered a hangup in the language in Tebow’s contract that could nullify the trade. Schefter cites a Broncos source as saying the hangup could keep the trade from happening.

The contractual issue apparently arises from a clause in Tebow’s contract that could require the Jets to pay up to $5 million to the Broncos. The Jets may refuse to do that.

If this turns out to be a serious enough problem that the Tebow-to-Jets deal cannot be completed, then Tebow would go back on the market and the Broncos would try to find a new trading partner.

According to Schefter, the Rams may be that new trading partner, and Tebow could be shipped to St. Louis if the deal with the Jets falls apart. It’s not clear whether Tebow would prefer the Rams or Jets, or if he’ll have any say in the matter at all.

At the moment, the deal is Tebow and the Broncos’ seventh-round pick for the Jets’ fourth- and sixth-round picks. We don’t yet know what the Rams would be willing to give up for Tebow.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...y-get-him/

03-21-2012 03:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.