BCS schools tried to steal DJ Cooper
03-18-2012 11:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Frozenbaugh Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ball State
RE: BCS schools tried to steal DJ Cooper
You don't think that kind of stuff really happens, do you?
03-19-2012 07:00 AM
MacLord Offline
All American

I Root For:
I'd read an article recently suggesting Scott Drew was on the sleazy side, and now we see why.
03-19-2012 08:20 AM
wmubroncopilot Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU
Bruce Pearl is one of the slimiest people alive. Easy to believe he'd do that.
03-19-2012 08:43 AM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(03-19-2012 08:43 AM)wmubroncopilot Wrote:  Bruce Pearl is one of the slimiest people alive. Easy to believe he'd do that.

Where is Bruce these days?

NBA?????

Running for Congress?

Teaching ethics?
03-20-2012 08:27 AM
MacLord Offline
All American

I Root For:
Waiting to get a job as Kentucky's head coach when Calipari retires.
03-20-2012 08:39 AM
uakronkid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Akron
I think this should be a bigger deal than it is. It's a major NCAA violation.
03-20-2012 08:51 AM
Advertisement

axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
Yesterday afternoon I was listening to a college basketball show on Sirius which was co-hosted by Bruce Pearl. Who was the guest? Scott Drew. The first thing they talked about was the Cooper story. Both denied ever trying to recruit him. Drew said he had just talked to Groce and said the whole thing was a "misunderstanding" after he had praised Cooper for his play two years ago in the NCAA, and Groce understood, etc. He claims he never recruited Cooper after he signed with Ohio out of high school

Pearl said he had told Cooper after they beat Ohio U in the 2nd round in 2010 that would love to coach him because he was a great player, but that was not intended to be recruitment, just a compliment.

My take? The coaches close ranks, Cooper gets the message to go with the "misunderstanding" version of the story, and it all gets swept under the rug. Nothing will come of it.
03-20-2012 09:43 AM
CMUprof Offline
1st String

I Root For: CMU
(03-20-2012 09:43 AM)axeme Wrote:  Yesterday afternoon I was listening to a college basketball show on Sirius which was co-hosted by Bruce Pearl. Who was the guest? Scott Drew. The first thing they talked about was the Cooper story. Both denied ever trying to recruit him. Drew said he had just talked to Groce and said the whole thing was a "misunderstanding" after he had praised Cooper for his play two years ago in the NCAA, and Groce understood, etc. He claims he never recruited Cooper after he signed with Ohio out of high school

Pearl said he had told Cooper after they beat Ohio U in the 2nd round in 2010 that would love to coach him because he was a great player, but that was not intended to be recruitment, just a compliment.

My take? The coaches close ranks, Cooper gets the message to go with the "misunderstanding" version of the story, and it all gets swept under the rug. Nothing will come of it.

Just heard Drew on the Scott Van Pelt Show. Same thing, it was a "misunderstanding." I am sure it was a little of both, probably sending out feelers and making it clear he would like to coach him but not officially asking him anything that would land him in hot water. The biggest thing to me is that Cooper has little/nothing to gain from mentioning this so I don't see any motive on his part.
03-20-2012 01:47 PM
uakronkid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Akron
(03-20-2012 01:47 PM)CMUprof Wrote:  The biggest thing to me is that Cooper has little/nothing to gain from mentioning this so I don't see any motive on his part.

He has a ton to gain. Gets his name in the media, and shows people that some top coaches think he could play on their teams. That helps his chances of playing professionally for a good Euro team or maybe become the next Earl Boykins in the NBA.
03-20-2012 01:55 PM
Advertisement

CMUprof Offline
1st String

I Root For: CMU
(03-20-2012 01:55 PM)uakronkid Wrote:  
(03-20-2012 01:47 PM)CMUprof Wrote:  The biggest thing to me is that Cooper has little/nothing to gain from mentioning this so I don't see any motive on his part.

He has a ton to gain. Gets his name in the media, and shows people that some top coaches think he could play on their teams. That helps his chances of playing professionally for a good Euro team or maybe become the next Earl Boykins in the NBA.

His name is already in the media. CBS was interviewing him because of Ohio's tourney success, not the recruiting. That came out in the interview. His play will make him attractive to scouts, this story is a distraction.
03-20-2012 02:33 PM
ouvan59 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Ohio
(03-20-2012 01:55 PM)uakronkid Wrote:  

This was not a new story and he didn't bring it up this time. He was asked about it in an interview. In the orginal version they didn't name any of the schools. And getting his name in the media doesn't help him one iota. Do you really think that European teams don't know who he is already?
03-20-2012 03:27 PM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison
(03-20-2012 08:51 AM)uakronkid Wrote:  I think this should be a bigger deal than it is. It's a major NCAA violation.

I agree 100%! Either they should want to investigate this to put an end to this shady tactic, or prove Cooper wrong and try to clear their name. Problem is Pearl is no longer there.
03-22-2012 06:22 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.