Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Ohio's APR
Bookmark and Share
EMU03' Offline
2nd String

I Root For: EMU
Ohio's APR
Ohio would not be eligible under next years plans.

"The NCAA plans to bar teams from postseason play beginning next season if they fail to achieve academic progress rates of 930, which equate to graduating roughly half of their players."

"Thirteen men's teams and three women's teams in the 2012 tournaments have APRs below 930, according to figures compiled by The Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sport at the University of Central Florida."

"The men's teams: Colorado, Colorado State, Connecticut, Florida State, Indiana, Mississippi Valley State, New Mexico State, Norfolk State, Ohio, Saint Louis, St. Bonaventure, Southern Mississippi and Syracuse. The women's teams: McNeese State, Prairie View, Tennessee-Martin."

http://athleticbusiness.com/articles/lex...=136030023
03-15-2012 02:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Campbell4President Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo
RE: Ohio's APR
I like it. I wonder how many of our football n basketball teams as a conference would've been ineligible. The sec will b screwed I hafta imagine. It'll force teams 2 start doing the rite things.
03-15-2012 03:33 PM
JSF Offline
Rich, Good Looking, Has a Rapist Wit

I Root For: World Peace
Armon Bassett effect. I believe their APR will climb back over the mark next year.
03-15-2012 03:41 PM
Advertisement

Bobcat110 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Guess
So 8 of the 13 men's teams targeted are from mid-major or small conferences? Yet, 90% of at-large bids are awarded to major conferences? Seems suspicious to me.

Also, the sampling rate for basketball is pretty small. Ohio only has one senior this year, so they could get a 0% or 100% depending on him?
03-15-2012 10:57 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
Interesting rule. So if you don't make it, do you forfeit the conference championship to the next best team so they can go to the tourney? I doubt Toledo is above that 930. Our mens program has been terrible accademically in the past 10 years.
03-16-2012 12:09 AM
Advertisement

Falcon1407 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: BGSU
(03-15-2012 10:57 PM)Bobcat110 Wrote:  So 8 of the 13 men's teams targeted are from mid-major or small conferences? Yet, 90% of at-large bids are awarded to major conferences? Seems suspicious to me.

Also, the sampling rate for basketball is pretty small. Ohio only has one senior this year, so they could get a 0% or 100% depending on him?

Connecticut will not play in next years tournament because of this. They were informed of this while being the defending national champion. The NCAA isn't picking on mid majors.
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2012 08:12 AM by Falcon1407.)
03-16-2012 08:12 AM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
It's not like the NCAA decided which teams to put on the list. The schools own numbers put them there.

Which raises the question: if Groce knows his team can't make the tourney next year, will he be more likely to take an offer this year?
03-16-2012 08:24 AM
Advertisement

CMUprof Offline
1st String

I Root For: CMU
(03-15-2012 10:57 PM)Bobcat110 Wrote:  So 8 of the 13 men's teams targeted are from mid-major or small conferences? Yet, 90% of at-large bids are awarded to major conferences? Seems suspicious to me.

Not quite. It's the Academic Progress Rate, not Graduation Rate. As long as a player stays in the program and is academically eligible s/he does not cause any deductions. If a player transfers, goes pro but has a high enough GPA (not sure what that is exactly) it doesn't count against your APR. The ncaa website, ncaa.org, has more information on it than you probably want to know.
03-16-2012 12:34 PM
BrianNowicki Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
(03-16-2012 12:09 AM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  Interesting rule. So if you don't make it, do you forfeit the conference championship to the next best team so they can go to the tourney? I doubt Toledo is above that 930. Our mens program has been terrible accademically in the past 10 years.

If you are not eligible for the post-season you can't play in the MAC Tournament, so not sure how it affects anything there at all.

Coach K is doing a great job with the APR at Toledo and finally for the first time in years there will be no scholarship reductions because of APR at UT next season. Also, Toledo met with the NCAA a couple of months back and they are satisfied with the improvement in APR. Toledo should be find next year.
03-16-2012 05:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bobcat_backer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: OHIO

actually, we don't have any seniors this year.
03-17-2012 12:17 AM
notauser Offline
1st String

I Root For: WMU
Ohio doesn't deserve to play in the post season IF the players aren't their for school, or aren't smart enough to pass classes.
03-19-2012 07:50 AM
bobcat_backer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: OHIO
(03-19-2012 07:50 AM)notauser Wrote:  Ohio doesn't deserve to play in the post season IF the players aren't there for school, or aren't smart enough to pass classes.

there ya go. i just made you look a little more credible! you're welcome! :-)
03-19-2012 10:01 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.