Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Playing UCA
Bookmark and Share
mjs Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
Playing UCA
UCA finished last in the Southland and had an RPI of 321. No way we play them until they decide the publicity stunt of hiring Corliss was a mistake and they bring in a credible coach who turns things around.

The UCA women are another story. Won the Southland regular season title. RPI of 91 (we are 93). Seems like a natural home and home that would be good for both programs. Joe Foley obviously isn't afraid to play anyone. It makes no sense not to play a very good program that is 30 minutes away. Since they didn't make the NCAA tournament this year, I guess we could use the old "nothing to gain argument" that UAF uses. I know I wouldn't want lose the next Taylor Gault, that comes out of Conway, to UCA.
03-11-2012 01:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: Playing UCA
I assume that we already compete for the same players anyway, both men and women, within the state. Playing their men and women each year, home and home would be good for our program, IMO. I'd be happy to have a road game I could get to in 30 minutes of driving. I could care less about the RPI. In most cases, it's never had any bearing on our post season play. Didn't we have a relatively high RPI one season, and still didn't get in? Play the games you want to play, and screw the RPI.
03-11-2012 01:35 PM
eh9198 Offline
All American

I Root For: Little Rock
As someone who can't stand the basketball Hogs for not playing us or ASU, etc., I can never turn up my nose against playing a UCA or a UAPB. I'd love to play them.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2012 02:30 PM by eh9198.)
03-11-2012 02:29 PM
mjs Online
Hall of Famer

(03-11-2012 02:29 PM)eh9198 Wrote:  As someone who can't stand the basketball Hogs for not playing us or ASU, etc., I can never turn up my nose against playing a UCA or a UAPB. I'd love to play them.

Basically I agree with you. But the Sun Belt initiated a rule that we should play a schedule (OOC) that averages 150. We are attempting to meet that. I applaud our coach and AD for trying to do that. Playing either UCA or UAPB would make it quite a bit harder to meet that standard. Again, the UCA women are good and I think we should play them.
03-11-2012 03:05 PM
PTJR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LR / UR / CU
(03-11-2012 03:05 PM)mjs Wrote:  
(03-11-2012 02:29 PM)eh9198 Wrote:  As someone who can't stand the basketball Hogs for not playing us or ASU, etc., I can never turn up my nose against playing a UCA or a UAPB. I'd love to play them.

Basically I agree with you. But the Sun Belt initiated a rule that we should play a schedule (OOC) that averages 150. We are attempting to meet that. I applaud our coach and AD for trying to do that. Playing either UCA or UAPB would make it quite a bit harder to meet that standard. Again, the UCA women are good and I think we should play them.

When UCA achieves an RPI that makes playing them a reasonable deal to meet our conference scheduling requirement, then we by all means need to play them. Same deal with UAPB. But as long as both remain at the bottom of the RPI, we can't afford to do it under conference rules.
03-11-2012 08:35 PM
Advertisement

mjs Online
Hall of Famer

(03-11-2012 08:35 PM)PTJR Wrote:  

When UCA achieves an RPI that makes playing them a reasonable deal to meet our conference scheduling requirement, then we by all means need to play them. Same deal with UAPB. But as long as both remain at the bottom of the RPI, we can't afford to do it under conference rules.

If UCA becomes a competive Southland program I believe we will play them. We played Northwest Louisiana this year home and home. It would cost us next to nothing to go to UCA and would probably sell a bunch of extra tickets in Little Rock. But, I like most fans, ***** when we schedule teams with RPI's over 300. Just because these 2 over 300 RPI teams (UCA and UAPB) are in Arkansas is not enough reason to schedule them.
03-11-2012 08:47 PM
PTJR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LR / UR / CU
(03-11-2012 08:47 PM)mjs Wrote:  

If UCA becomes a competive Southland program I believe we will play them. We played Northwest Louisiana this year home and home. It would cost us next to nothing to go to UCA and would probably sell a bunch of extra tickets in Little Rock. But, I like most fans, ***** when we schedule teams with RPI's over 300. Just because these 2 over 300 RPI teams (UCA and UAPB) are in Arkansas is not enough reason to schedule them.

Who did the Little Rock schedule this year with and RPI over 300? None that I can think of.
03-11-2012 09:00 PM
mjs Online
Hall of Famer

(03-11-2012 09:00 PM)PTJR Wrote:  
(03-11-2012 08:47 PM)mjs Wrote:  

Who did the Little Rock schedule this year with and RPI over 300? None that I can think of.

No one close, that I can think of. I like our scheduling. I certainly prepared us for the Sun Belt season. Unfortunately, a bad 5 minute span against WKU cost us a chance at advancing in a tournament that I think we could have won. But, of course, 5 other teams could say the same thing.
03-11-2012 09:07 PM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES

Hear, hear!
03-12-2012 11:26 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.