Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UNO to stay D-1
Bookmark and Share
Courtside Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Jacksonville
UNO to stay D-1
The University of New Orleans has decided to stay D-1 instead of dropping down to Division Two. I wonder if they will try to get back into the Sun Belt or look elsewhere like the ASC.
03-10-2012 12:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HatterFan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Stetson
RE: UNO to stay D-1
All signs point towards UNO to the Southland. They can proceed with their football expansion at a leisurely pace, getting all their ducks in a row, rather than rush in; several local Louisiana state schools to play and the rest in east Texas.
03-10-2012 04:33 PM
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
UNO sucks. I don't think the Sun Belt will let them come back.
03-11-2012 05:35 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lolly Popp Offline
Magically Delicious

I Root For: Football
Over the past few years, Longwood popped up on this board a number of times, so I am surprised no one posted that they finally got into the Big South back in January. That gives the Big South 4 schools in Virginia, 4 in North Carolina, and 4 in South Carolina. Great footprint.

BIG SOUTH AS OF JULY 2012
Liberty (FB) \ Longwood
VMI (FB) \ Radford
UNC Asheville \ Gardner-Webb (FB)
High Point \ Campbell (NS FB)
Winthrop \ Presbyterian (FB)
Coastal Carolina (FB) \ Charleston Southern (FB)

Winthrop needs to stop merely talking, and get football started, while Campbell needs to figure out how to add scholarships. Now it is the A-Sun's turn to expand to 12 members. What two schools in the northern part of the footprint would help everyone save money on travel?

A-SUN WHEN BELMONT GOES
Northern Kentucky \ Lipscomb
East Tennessee \ South Carolina Upstate
Kennesaw State (NS FB) \ Mercer (NS FB)
Jacksonville (NS FB) \ North Florida
Stetson (NS FB) \ Florida Gulf Coast

I saw Bellarmine and Southern Indiana mentioned in another thread but those two would push the A-Sun even further northward. Both might have other options depending on how realignment trickles down going forward. Too bad non-football Belmont decided to go to the OVC.
03-12-2012 08:10 AM
Statman101 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: N/A
Kennesaw State will be SCHOLARSHIP football! Just some FYI.
03-12-2012 11:08 AM
CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF/Tulsa
Although I believe West Florida has every intention of playing D-2 scholarship football with no plans to move to D-1, I'd sure like to see them in an A-Sun with non-scholly football.
03-12-2012 01:45 PM
Advertisement

Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I Root For: ETSU/Mid Majors
They need two more in the Tennessee, Kentucky, perhaps Alabama region. The northern schools are on islands.
03-13-2012 08:57 AM
Lolly Popp Offline
Magically Delicious

What conference will Kennesaw State play football in? Big South as an associate member? Maybe look to move to that league in all sports if one of the current 12 goes elsewhere?
03-14-2012 01:50 PM
Statman101 Offline
2nd String

I would assume independent like ODU the first couple of years but I know the Southern Conference or CAA could possibly take a look.

The Big South would probably pass because KSU does not fit the conferences blueprint. KSU is a massive state institution and would be the largest enrollment school by far in the league. I could be wrong but Big South would probably pass in my mind.

KSU is a short timer in the ASun. Two more years...three years tops.
03-14-2012 04:20 PM
MercerFan Offline
Orange & Black

I Root For: The Bears

Donators
I could see New Orleans being interested in the ASUN. They have got to be in somewhat of a panic mode and checking out every single possible conference home they can.
03-14-2012 04:29 PM
Statman101 Offline
2nd String

UNO will not go ASun. They will want a football league like the Southland PLUS ASun would crush UNOs travel budget. Every trip is virtually a plane trip.
03-14-2012 05:17 PM
Advertisement

HatterFan Offline
Special Teams

Totally agree - it would be a really bad fit for both sides. UNO also lacks three of the "core" sports that the A-Sun wants its members to have, m/w soccer and softball. I read they're starting m/w indoor/outdoor track & field to get them back to the Division I 14-sport minimum.
03-15-2012 09:44 AM
Lolly Popp Offline
Magically Delicious

UNO seems to have no idea what they really want to do. They change their minds every few months. I agree that the Sun Belt will not want them back, and there should be no interest by the A-Sun, so the Southland might be their only -- still slim -- chance of finding a viable conference.
03-15-2012 02:05 PM
Golden Jedi Knight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
(03-10-2012 12:32 PM)Courtside Wrote:  The University of New Orleans has decided to stay D-1 instead of dropping down to Division Two. I wonder if they will try to get back into the Sun Belt or look elsewhere like the ASC.

I heard they were dropping to Division 3 back when the news first broke out that they were moving down. If they have announced that they are staying in Division 1 after all, then my guess is that they either (a) already have made a commitment to a Division 1 conference or (b) two or more Division 1 conferences have expressed interest in them and they are trying to pick one. Either way, good luck to them. My cousin earned one of his degrees from UNO.
03-18-2012 12:04 AM
Fresno St. Alum Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Fresno St.
(03-12-2012 11:08 AM)Statman101 Wrote:  Kennesaw State will be SCHOLARSHIP football! Just some FYI.

That is why I thought they would be #12 in the Big South and not Longwood who the Big South rejected before this year.

I figure UNO will go to the SLC but I don't get why they want them over ACU and UIW who both have football in D-II and have been discussing moving up to D-I. ACU top notch D-II football team. UIW has Saints owner Benson's money and located in San Antonio. Maybe thy go to 14?

UNA is still homeless, are they too far west for you? They are a solid D-II program as well. If you added them I figure the Big South might take both as fb only.
03-21-2012 06:19 PM
Golden Jedi Knight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
(03-21-2012 06:19 PM)Fresno St. Alum Wrote:  
(03-12-2012 11:08 AM)Statman101 Wrote:  Kennesaw State will be SCHOLARSHIP football! Just some FYI.
UNA is still homeless, are they too far west for you? They are a solid D-II program as well. If you added them I figure the Big South might take both as fb only.

UNA is in the northwest part of Alabama, in a town called Florence, right near the Tennessee line. It is arguably within the A-Sun's footprint even though the A-Sun currently has no schools in Alabama. That would not be a bad drive coming from Lipscomb or East Tennessee State, or from Northern Kentucky or Kennesaw State, for that matter. The map at this link shows where UNA is located in relation to Nashville, Tennessee and other larger cities.
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2012 03:21 AM by Golden Jedi Knight.)
03-22-2012 03:19 AM
Advertisement

Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I Root For: ETSU/Mid Majors
Una belongs in the ovc.
03-22-2012 10:00 AM
CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF/Tulsa
Don't worry, Nova Southeastern will still be interested and they have a nice new arena.
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2012 07:18 PM by CitrusUCF.)
03-22-2012 07:17 PM
HatterFan Offline
Special Teams

(03-22-2012 07:17 PM)CitrusUCF Wrote:  Don't worry, Nova Southeastern will still be interested and they have a nice new arena.

anything you know about this that you can share? The more northern members that pack up and head out the door, the more the A-Sun might as well become Florida-based. I'd be all in favor.
03-23-2012 01:01 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
(03-12-2012 08:10 AM)Lolly Popp Wrote:  Now it is the A-Sun's turn to expand to 12 members. What two schools in the northern part of the footprint would help everyone save money on travel?

A-SUN WHEN BELMONT GOES
Northern Kentucky \ Lipscomb
East Tennessee \ South Carolina Upstate
Kennesaw State (NS FB) \ Mercer (NS FB)
Jacksonville (NS FB) \ North Florida
Stetson (NS FB) \ Florida Gulf Coast

I saw Bellarmine and Southern Indiana mentioned in another thread but those two would push the A-Sun even further northward. Both might have other options depending on how realignment trickles down going forward. Too bad non-football Belmont decided to go to the OVC.

With NKU in the first year of transition next year (NKU won't count as a DI team when ASUN schools play them), it really makes sense to wait one more year before two schools are added and divisions formed.

Could see this:

North
NKU / Bellarmine
Lipscomb / ETSU
USC-U / Kennesaw

South
Mercer / Jacksonville
N Florida / Stetson
FGCU / Nova SE

By waiting another year, scheduling becomes manageable with the transition schools. ASUN schools are only allowed 3 games vs non-DI schools. If NKU and Bellarmine were both brought in next year (when both would be non-DI for scheduling purposes), scheduling becomes problematic.
03-23-2012 02:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.