Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Conference Affiliation
Bookmark and Share
SubGod22 Offline
Average Joe

I Root For: Wichita
Conference Affiliation
I know of a lot of people in Kansas that would love to see Wichita find a new home outside of the MVC. I think not having any kind of football hurts us and leaves us with few, if any, options.

Option 1 - Hope the new MWC/CUSA conference would take non-football schools.

Option 2 - Step down to the Horizon and hope it continues to trend upward.

Option 3 - Hope the A-10 wants to go to 16 and wouldn't be opposed of going farther West and adding Wichita and Creighton.

None of the option look all that promising and it appears we're stuck in a conference that has too many schools that can't financially do what needs to be done to escalate the conference and their programs. Outside of Creighton and Wichita it gets a little shaky. Bradley I think could be up there with CU and WSU. UNI is at it's limit. MSU is in financial disarray. I like ISU, but not sure they have the finances to really bump themselves too much higher. That and they're focused on improving football with hopes of moving to the MAC some day. Drake is a small private school that can't go much farther. The two Indiana schools (ISUb and Evansville) are hopeless. Pretty sad when you have a head coach (ISUb) that left to take a job as an assistant elsewhere. SIU is a mess.

Life in The Valley...
03-07-2012 11:42 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

shocker3 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Wichita State
RE: Conference Affiliation
A lot of things have changed since that post nearly a year ago. But in spire of all of the changes nationally, the Shockers options still look pretty limited.
01-12-2013 03:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SubGod22 Offline
Average Joe

Now we're still hoping for anything. It looks more and more like Creighton will end up joining the C7. If they ever go to more than 12 we have an outside shot at that. There were a few rumblings that the MWC could eventually add a couple of nonfootball schools to strengthen and already strong basketball coference. That could be more likely if they land Tulsa. The A10 looks like it's going to be stripped of it's best schools and no longer looks attractive. Some rumblings that the BE might look into nonfootball members again and that could be a thought. Especially if they land Tulsa. Tulsa, Houston, SMU, Tulane, ECU, USF and UCF as well as Memphis are all in areas we recruit. Plus it currently has Cincy, UConn and will have Temple. Strong league and more money.

Otherwise, we're looking at replacing Creighton. If SLU or Dayton somehow get left out of the C7 they'd be targeted. Then we could also look at ORU, Denver, Arlington, NDSU, SDSU, Belmont, Murray State, Milwaukee, Green Bay and Wright State as either replacements or to move to 12. Would take a bit of a hit but some of those have potential to keep the MVC semi respectable.

I'd rather get out. Especially if CU leaves. UNI and ISU could look to upgrade football in the next decade and be gone. I do wonder if we could get into a conference with the promise of adding football in X amount of years. The new president seems open to the idea once he gets a few things taken care of.
01-12-2013 09:43 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Downtown Shocker Brown Offline

It is going to take a windfall to land football that quick. We need to upgrade things, starting with campus life.

We have started, just need to be a little patient and realize there are not many options for those schools who will sit and wait. I think we should reach out to the other basketball programs that do not fit in with the C7 and start our own.

Long LONG SHOT, but if you think about it, what schools would be possibilities:

Wichita State
Oral Roberts
Virginia Commonwealth
Richmond
George Washington
George Mason
UT-Arlington
??????
Denver
??????
Bradley
Illinois-Chicago
01-14-2013 08:07 PM

SubGod22 Offline
Average Joe

(01-14-2013 08:07 PM)Downtown Shocker Brown Wrote:  It is going to take a windfall to land football that quick. We need to upgrade things, starting with campus life.

We have started, just need to be a little patient and realize there are not many options for those schools who will sit and wait. I think we should reach out to the other basketball programs that do not fit in with the C7 and start our own.

Long LONG SHOT, but if you think about it, what schools would be possibilities:

Wichita State
Oral Roberts
Virginia Commonwealth
Richmond
George Washington
George Mason
UT-Arlington
??????
Denver
??????
Bradley
Illinois-Chicago
As far as football, with the right plan and leadership (not sure Sexton is or isn't that) the Koch and Devlin's of the world would be there to help. I know Bardo wants to drive enrollment up before taking on such a project and respect that. However, if a conference said you can join and have to start football up in 5 years or so, I think we could do it and find the money. I also think it MAY help drive enrollment as people love football and it would generate a buzz and excitement. I understand that's not likely but it's something that isn't impossible.

The new conference is interesting. Looking at a 6/6 E/W split....

East - VCU, G. Mason, G. Washington, Belmont, Wright State, ???

West - Wichita, Arlington, Bradley, UIC, ORU, Milwaukee

Other options would be Denver, Richmond, Murray State, Davidson, CoC, Duquesne, Cleveland State and Siena. There may be others.

If my map loads correctly, black are the ones I have and gray are the other possible options just for the sake of seeing locations....roughly.

.jpg  Made up Conference.JPG (Size: 41.98 KB / Downloads: 21)
01-15-2013 11:32 AM
Downtown Shocker Brown Offline

I think that could work.
01-19-2013 09:15 AM
Waterford Rider Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Illinois State
As for Milwaukee, I have read that they are thinking about adding football. If they do, would they still be desirable to you?
02-21-2013 06:48 PM

SubGod22 Offline
Average Joe

I've cooled on Milwaukee some since I've heard they're having financial issues. There's also been talk about VCU and Arlington looking into football.
02-22-2013 10:25 AM
r2pirate Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU
(03-07-2012 11:42 AM)SubGod22 Wrote:  I know of a lot of people in Kansas that would love to see Wichita find a new home outside of the MVC. I think not having any kind of football hurts us and leaves us with few, if any, options.

Option 1 - Hope the new MWC/CUSA conference would take non-football schools.

Option 2 - Step down to the Horizon and hope it continues to trend upward.

Option 3 - Hope the A-10 wants to go to 16 and wouldn't be opposed of going farther West and adding Wichita and Creighton.

None of the option look all that promising and it appears we're stuck in a conference that has too many schools that can't financially do what needs to be done to escalate the conference and their programs. Outside of Creighton and Wichita it gets a little shaky. Bradley I think could be up there with CU and WSU. UNI is at it's limit. MSU is in financial disarray. I like ISU, but not sure they have the finances to really bump themselves too much higher. That and they're focused on improving football with hopes of moving to the MAC some day. Drake is a small private school that can't go much farther. The two Indiana schools (ISUb and Evansville) are hopeless. Pretty sad when you have a head coach (ISUb) that left to take a job as an assistant elsewhere. SIU is a mess.

Life in The Valley...

From ECU I am hoping Wichita comes into AAC with Navy.....pulling for you guys to win it all.....best of lucks:)
04-03-2013 09:37 PM
SubGod22 Offline
Average Joe

Thanks
04-04-2013 08:45 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2017 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.