Looking ahead to next season....
Bookmark and Share
OrangeCamel Offline

I Root For: Campbell
MyBB Looking ahead to next season....
Things to anticipate during the off-season....

-Griffin, Merthie, Celestin will be gone. Newcomers are Kent State transfer Darius Leonard, Trae Bremer, and freshmen DJ Mason and Jordan Faciane. What can we expect from these four newcomers?

-Longwood will be in the Big South

-Yet-to-be-determined divisional scheduling
(supposedly) due to 12 teams

-Presbyterian eligible for Big South tournament

-Yet-to-be-determined tournament site and format

-New coach to be named at Winthrop

-Northwestern State will come to the Creek, right?

Anything else? Thoughts?
03-06-2012 07:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Statman101 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: N/A
RE: Looking ahead to next season....
(03-06-2012 07:51 PM)OrangeCamel Wrote:  Things to anticipate during the off-season....

-Griffin, Merthie, Celestin will be gone. Newcomers are Kent State transfer Darius Leonard, Trae Bremer, and freshmen DJ Mason and Jordan Faciane. What can we expect from these four newcomers?

-Longwood will be in the Big South

-Yet-to-be-determined divisional scheduling
(supposedly) due to 12 teams

-Presbyterian eligible for Big South tournament

-Yet-to-be-determined tournament site and format

-New coach to be named at Winthrop

-Northwestern State will come to the Creek, right?

Anything else? Thoughts?

I personally think Campbell will be picked in the upper half to upper third of the conference next season. I fully expect that with another year of seasoning for Freeman and White that CU will be looking at its third winning season in four years. Prior to the last three seasons, CU had only SIX winning seasons in 31 years. I also think its interesting to note that the last four years are the winningest four years in the history of the program (62 wins, if I am counting correctly).

As for the newcomers, I think Darius Leonard is the key. If he can even come close to filling the void of post scoring left by Griffin, then C-U can be very good. I do know he is long and athletic and out of HS had offers from, not only Kent State, but also College of Charleston and Iona (Initially verballed there). I do not know of his skill level however.

The tournament format will be interesting to see, but I think the Big South, unlike the A-Sun, will make certain EVERYONE makes the tournament. So we are looking at a 12 team event which would be awesome. I would assume the top four seeds would get a bye. I think the league loves having the tournament at the top seed, so that will probably remain the same.

As for Northwestern St., it is my understanding they have two years to either make up that game or buy it out. I would assume next season, but who really knows. Usually alot of schools wait to make up that game so they dont have two road games featuring bracket buster opponents in the same year.
03-07-2012 10:51 AM
OrangeCamel Offline

I forgot one....I assume we'll host the BracketBusters game next season. That will be fun.

Statman makes a good point about Northwestern State. With that logic, it might be a surprise to see NSU this coming season.

I agree that a 12 team tournament would be awesome. We've been in the A-Sun with 12 teams, but there were never 12 tourney slots and never were all the teams tourney-eligible.

As far as the site, I believe the Big South might consider a neutral site. Judging by the chatter on other Big South boards, it seems like fans would welcome it. Charlotte would be central, but where? The old Coliseum on Independence? (I haven't been in that place since the early 70s to see Ringling Bros as a kid.)

I'm very anxious to see what Leonard brings.
03-08-2012 08:18 AM
Advertisement

oldcamel Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: campbell
I think Leonard is a huge piece for us, but I also think Marvelle can help fill the void if he can stay out of foul trouble. I think we saw flashes that Andrew could help make up some of the shooting void left by Lorne. We do have to find someone that can effectively run the point to spell Trey.

Neutral site tournament needs to be a given until every arena in the league could actually host the thing. Since CSU can't with limited seating and no television capabilities, we need to axe that whole mess.

As far as scheduling, my assumption is we have the home bracket busters, UNCW and Appalachian at home and ECU on the road?
03-08-2012 10:11 AM
camelfan Offline
Special Teams

I would like for us to finish a season the way we start for a change. If we could we could go a long way.
03-08-2012 11:09 AM
Advertisement

OrangeCamel Offline

Since we're all still novices at following the Big South these days, this USA Today article includes a good breakdown of departing seniors and returning players...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/m...40728692/1
03-08-2012 12:00 PM
Mr. X Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Cornell
I can't wait to see how these new NCAA rules affect CU. Guys will actually have to be eligible when they leave CU (cough cough Eric Griffin) and go to class. Laing cant just add walk-ons with high GPA's to make it look like his team knows how to open a book. It really wouldn't surprise me if CU is ineligible in the next 5 years for post season play. There is a reason his teams always tank at the end of the season. 0 discipline. Attitude reflects leadership.
05-16-2012 11:47 AM
Advertisement

Statman101 Offline
2nd String

(05-16-2012 11:47 AM)Mr. X Wrote:  I can't wait to see how these new NCAA rules affect CU. Guys will actually have to be eligible when they leave CU (cough cough Eric Griffin) and go to class. Laing cant just add walk-ons with high GPA's to make it look like his team knows how to open a book. It really wouldn't surprise me if CU is ineligible in the next 5 years for post season play. There is a reason his teams always tank at the end of the season. 0 discipline. Attitude reflects leadership.

Mr. X, not that you will respond to this, but lets add a little fact to your hate of Robbie Laing. However, we won't let facts get in the way of your thought process.

First, the APR rules that are currently in place have been in place since 2004-2005. Second, here are the new rules:

http://diverseeducation.com/article/1703...ation.html

Third, the NCAA publishes APR rates. Under the old rules a team has to maintain a 900 4-year APR (CU has a 935) OR a 930 2-year APR (CU has a 939.5) in order to be postseason eligible. The new rules would start to kick in for the 2014-2015 and beyond with a 930 4-year APR (CU again passes). Campbell has only been below 930 once and that was year one (2004-05) with a 926.

Also, student grades are private and there is no way you know if Eric is leaving eligible or not. I am going on the assumption that he is leaving eligible and as long as he graduates at some point, you get ALL of his APR points back (Meaning he won't hurt even if he is ineligible now!). Also if you work for the school (which you don't) you are making an assumption on Eric Griffin based on what you see not what you know and even if you do work for the school and you are releasing grade information, you sir are breaking the law.

Am I forgetting anything else fatual?
05-16-2012 02:17 PM
Mr. X Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Cornell
I'm struggling to respond after that verbal beating you just gave me but here we go:

I never said it would be a fact that they would be ineligible. I am making an assumption based on what I see and what I hear from friends.

I just found it interesting that of three seniors this year none of them graduated this May. (I know you are going to say they could graduate over the summer) Well just make sure you throw away a little piece of your diploma IF any of them graduate.

Again all I said was it WOULDN'T surprise me. Not they will be or I know they will be but I wouldn't be surprised if something happened.

Also thank you for the lesson on the law I'm pretty sure I didn't sit here and tell you Eric's grades. I don't know them and how could I. This was an opinion of mine. Just like it is my opinion that he will not get drafted, like all of you want to believe or that his dunk was a whole lot of hype for dunking on a scrub player at NC A&T.

I admit I don't think Laing is a good coach. I think CU needs someone who can coach for all 40 minutes of the game and all the way until March. Not someone who beats his players down and gets them to quit. How many 1st round losses do they have. I think CU needs someone who doesn't just bring in JUCO players every year because he can't develop talent.

Sorry if I touched a nerve. I will let you go back to praising your mediocre coach for winning 17 games in the Big South, a step down from the A-Sun.

you did forget something...the C
05-16-2012 04:33 PM
Statman101 Offline
2nd String

Thanks for catching the "c." Hard to type all of that from my phone.

Your assumptions are fine, but here are my issues. Why would my diploma need to be tossed if any of them graduate? In fact, I hope they all graduate. It will only help them down the line. I just want to know besides "friends" where this perception comes from because without first hand knowledge its really a moot point.

Why it wouldn't suprise you is interesting because despite all the "opinions" because history and FACTS state that CU is actually improving its APR each year not getting worse. The way its being scored doesn't change and has been in place for nearly 8 years. The only thing changing is the number each program needs to reach and CU is far above that number already. I will go on record and say that they graduate at some point or at the very least leave eligible (If Kentucky can do it, CU is doing it.). *Side note: Amir and Lorne have been here four years. Most college degrees take 4 1/2 or 5 to complete. I know it took me five to get my undergrade and I wasn't a DI basketball player.

As for Eric, I never said anything about him getting drafted or playing in the NBA. He will definitely make a nice living overseas if he would like however and see more money than I ever will. I personally don't think he can play in the NBA, but suprises do happen. As for the dunk, it was a breakaway and a guy was trying to take a charge. That guy could have been from UNC with the same height and weight and the same thing would have happened. Who it was against doesn't matter. Regardless, great pub for the University. Most ESPN exposure for the school in its history.

You can not like Coach Laing's coaching that is fine and your perogative, but there are only three JUCO's out of 13 scholarships this past year. The upcoming class is all four year guys and Lorne/Amir/Junard/Preston and others were all four year guys. A good mix is exactly what they are doing and even doing a great job of balancing out classes (having a solid number in each class FR, So, Jr, Sr). First round losses? CU had a whole bunch of those prior to Coach Laing's arrival.

No nerve but just try to post something positive every now and again. Its ok. No one will think less of you.
05-17-2012 08:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Geo Visitors Map
Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.