Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
Bengals take a peek at Pead in UC's Pro Day workout
Bengals take a peek at Pead in UC's Pro Day workout

[Image: bilde?NewTbl=1&Site=AB&D...p;amp;q=60]
The Enquirer/Gary Landers
Pro scouts watch as UC running back Isaiah Pead performs during an agility drill during Pro Day activities held at the Sheakley Athletics Center on the University of Cincinnati campus Friday.

Written by
Joe Reedy

After largely staying away from Isaiah Pead during the NFL scouting combine, the Bengals were out in full force during the University of Cincinnati Pro Day Friday at the Sheakley Athletic Center.

Pead stood on his workout marks from the combine but did do position drills as running backs coach Jim Anderson, receivers coach James Urban and quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese looked on. Head coach Marvin Lewis did not attend, but director of player personnel Duke Tobin was there.

In addition to receiving drills, Pead also fielded punts under the watchful eye of special teams coach Darrin Simmons.

Said Pead on what Anderson told him during the workout: “He was just talking about every time I step on the field it is a work day. You always come to work and he noticed it here today and told me to continue it when I go to different teams when I work out.”

Pead did say he wanted another attempt at running the 40-yard dash but UC coach Butch Jones and his agent, Rick Smith, discouraged him from doing so. Pead still had the fifth-best time among running backs at 4.47 seconds in Indianapolis.

With the combine and pro day finished, it figures to be a long stretch from now until the draft starts April 28. In the meantime there will be plenty of individual running back workouts, starting with one March 12 with the Browns. The Bengals also will have a workout for local players at Paul Brown Stadium next month.

As for what the Bengals thought of Pead’s workout, they weren’t saying a lot, but Anderson is pleased with this year’s crop of running backs. After Alabama’s Trent Richardson, the best of the rest includes Pead, Miami’s Lamar Miller, Virginia Tech’s David Miller, Boise State’s Doug Miller and Oregon’s LaMichael James.

“It’s a good class. It will be interesting because it has some depth to it, and that’s what is really important,” he said.

Quarterback Zach Collaros had two former UC players and current Bengals on hand for his throwing drills – receivers Armon Binns and Vidal Hazelton. Pead, tight end Adrien Robinson and receiver D.J. Woods also took part.

The consensus was that Collaros had a solid day and displayed a nice touch on the deep balls. He also had no problems working behind center throwing a wide range of passes.

Robinson made the biggest impression with his workouts, with times of 4.51 and 4.58 in the 40. Had Robinson been at the combine, the 4.51 would have been the third-fastest time among tight ends.

“It was very important. This is like a big job interview, and it went well for me,” Robinson said. “I was anxious a little bit, but once I got in the flow things settled down.”

Five players – Evan Davis (ankle), Alex Hoffman (Achilles), John Hughes (hamstring), JK Schaffer (hamstring) and Orion Woodard (leg) – were limited or did not take part.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120...ad-workout

03-03-2012 08:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
RE: Bengals take a peek at Pead in UC's Pro Day workout
(03-03-2012 08:58 AM)ctipton Wrote:  Bengals take a peek at Pead in UC's Pro Day workout

[Image: bilde?NewTbl=1&Site=AB&D...p;amp;q=60]
The Enquirer/Gary Landers
Pro scouts watch as UC running back Isaiah Pead performs during an agility drill during Pro Day activities held at the Sheakley Athletics Center on the University of Cincinnati campus Friday.

Written by
Joe Reedy

After largely staying away from Isaiah Pead during the NFL scouting combine, the Bengals were out in full force during the University of Cincinnati Pro Day Friday at the Sheakley Athletic Center.

Pead stood on his workout marks from the combine but did do position drills as running backs coach Jim Anderson, receivers coach James Urban and quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese looked on. Head coach Marvin Lewis did not attend, but director of player personnel Duke Tobin was there.

In addition to receiving drills, Pead also fielded punts under the watchful eye of special teams coach Darrin Simmons.

Said Pead on what Anderson told him during the workout: “He was just talking about every time I step on the field it is a work day. You always come to work and he noticed it here today and told me to continue it when I go to different teams when I work out.”

Pead did say he wanted another attempt at running the 40-yard dash but UC coach Butch Jones and his agent, Rick Smith, discouraged him from doing so. Pead still had the fifth-best time among running backs at 4.47 seconds in Indianapolis.

With the combine and pro day finished, it figures to be a long stretch from now until the draft starts April 28. In the meantime there will be plenty of individual running back workouts, starting with one March 12 with the Browns. The Bengals also will have a workout for local players at Paul Brown Stadium next month.

As for what the Bengals thought of Pead’s workout, they weren’t saying a lot, but Anderson is pleased with this year’s crop of running backs. After Alabama’s Trent Richardson, the best of the rest includes Pead, Miami’s Lamar Miller, Virginia Tech’s David Miller, Boise State’s Doug Miller and Oregon’s LaMichael James.

“It’s a good class. It will be interesting because it has some depth to it, and that’s what is really important,” he said.

Quarterback Zach Collaros had two former UC players and current Bengals on hand for his throwing drills – receivers Armon Binns and Vidal Hazelton. Pead, tight end Adrien Robinson and receiver D.J. Woods also took part.

The consensus was that Collaros had a solid day and displayed a nice touch on the deep balls. He also had no problems working behind center throwing a wide range of passes.

Robinson made the biggest impression with his workouts, with times of 4.51 and 4.58 in the 40. Had Robinson been at the combine, the 4.51 would have been the third-fastest time among tight ends.

“It was very important. This is like a big job interview, and it went well for me,” Robinson said. “I was anxious a little bit, but once I got in the flow things settled down.”

Five players – Evan Davis (ankle), Alex Hoffman (Achilles), John Hughes (hamstring), JK Schaffer (hamstring) and Orion Woodard (leg) – were limited or did not take part.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120...ad-workout

Impressive speed for Robinson. Very fast for a 270lb guy.

03-03-2012 09:12 AM
bearcat54 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
The bengals need to start looking seriously at UC football players. Pead could really help them as with some of the others.

03-03-2012 09:24 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(03-03-2012 09:24 AM)bearcat54 Wrote:  The bengals need to start looking seriously at UC football players. Pead could really help them as with some of the others.

With what Gruden is doing I agree about Pead. He would be a great fit with a team like the Saints or the Pats also.

03-03-2012 10:58 AM
DelhiBearcat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Wholesome Chat
(03-03-2012 09:24 AM)bearcat54 Wrote:  The bengals need to start looking seriously at UC football players.

I'm pretty certain the Bengals have had more UC players on their roster in their history than any other team in the NFL.

They have 3 as we speak.

I really hope they take Pead as well though. Not just because he's a UC guy, but because I've seen what he's capable of for the last 4 years.

03-03-2012 11:12 AM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

DonatorsDonators
Not to derail BUT, Delhi, that is the most electrifying, mind-numbing sports picture (your signature) I have ever seen. Just to imagine the hops that Kenyon had is unreal.

03-03-2012 11:27 AM
Advertisement

subflea Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Free Thinking

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs
Robinson is an impressive athlete and I think he will definitely find a roster spot in the NFL. Unfortunately he had a quarterback who juust was't tall enough to find a TE over the middle.

03-03-2012 11:54 AM
WarningSigns Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cincinnati
I gotta imagine Adrien will get some serious looks from his numbers alone. 6' 5", 270 lbs, runs a 4 freakin 5.

03-03-2012 11:54 AM
WarningSigns Offline
Special Teams

(03-03-2012 11:54 AM)subflea Wrote:  Robinson is an impressive athlete and I think he will definitely find a roster spot in the NFL. Unfortunately he had a quarterback who juust was't tall enough to find a TE over the middle.

My biggest complaint all season was our lack of TE use on offense. Both Robinson and Kelce are pretty amazing athletes, big targets with good hands. Very under utilized.

03-03-2012 11:56 AM
subflea Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Free Thinking

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs
I think once we get a taller QB starting we will use them more. During Pike's senior year year Guidugli hardly saw a ball during Zach's 4 starts, but was one of Tony's favorite targets.

03-03-2012 12:02 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(03-03-2012 11:56 AM)WarningSigns Wrote:  
(03-03-2012 11:54 AM)subflea Wrote:  Robinson is an impressive athlete and I think he will definitely find a roster spot in the NFL. Unfortunately he had a quarterback who juust was't tall enough to find a TE over the middle.

My biggest complaint all season was our lack of TE use on offense. Both Robinson and Kelce are pretty amazing athletes, big targets with good hands. Very under utilized.

That seemed to be the case for sure. However we went Run heavy in many games then toss in 39 receptions for Pead. Pead became the man, then McClung. The TEs scored 5 TDs. Woods, Thompkins and Chism combined for 6 TDs.

Pead and McClung combined for 21 TDs. Zach had 8 TDs himself running the ball.

03-03-2012 12:06 PM
Advertisement

Racinejake Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
With Collaros, most of the throws were outside of the hashes. Tight ends just weren't utilized much not were there many short throws over the middle mainly due to Zach's height and inability to see over the middle. With Munchie, if he can keep the ball up, we can effectively throw over the middle. The UConn game was a perfect example of that until the second half when he started drilling DL in the chest again.

As for Robinson, he's a great athlete. I assumed he would blow out the pro day. He's always been somewhat inconsistent despite being one of the most physically gifted players on the team. He never seemed to be the go-to TE on the team. I think he certainly has the physical abilities to be successful in the NFL given the right situation.

03-03-2012 12:16 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

Count me as surprised that Guidugli was able to keep Robinson on the bench as much as he did.

03-03-2012 12:47 PM
Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

I Root For: Zinzinnati
(03-03-2012 12:47 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  Count me as surprised that Guidugli was able to keep Robinson on the bench as much as he did.

I think both Guidugli and Robinson were underrated by many - don't forget that Ben is still in the NFL with the Rams as far as I can tell.

03-03-2012 01:13 PM
eroc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC, Liverpool
Plus, more teams are trying to go two TEs so they need depth at that position.

03-03-2012 02:44 PM
Butterfly Offline
Special Teams

No!!!
Flee, Pead, flee!
I don't want to see him on the bungles!

03-03-2012 04:29 PM
Advertisement

ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

DonatorsDonators
I would love to see Pead go to the Bengals.

03-03-2012 04:31 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(03-03-2012 01:13 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  
(03-03-2012 12:47 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  Count me as surprised that Guidugli was able to keep Robinson on the bench as much as he did.

I think both Guidugli and Robinson were underrated by many - don't forget that Ben is still in the NFL with the Rams as far as I can tell.

Guidugli = classic hard charging overachiever. What did have have a UC offer, maybe Colorado late in the process. Worked his ass off.
Adrien had multiple Big East, Big East and Big Ten offers.

03-03-2012 04:45 PM
WarningSigns Offline
Special Teams

(03-03-2012 04:45 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  

Guidugli = classic hard charging overachiever. What did have have a UC offer, maybe Colorado late in the process. Worked his ass off.

Robinson definitely wasn't underrated coming out of HS. He was largely considered the prize of that class. He was still a little raw/awkward his first couple of years, once he hit his stride in the college game we just weren't throwing to the tight end a whole lot.

I hope Travis Kelce gets more looks this year. Similar build to A-Rob and one of the best athletes on the team. It'd be a shame if he came and went with his career highlight being a couple wildcat TD's at Rutgers.

03-03-2012 05:18 PM
Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

I Root For: Zinzinnati
(03-03-2012 05:18 PM)WarningSigns Wrote:  
(03-03-2012 04:45 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  

Robinson definitely wasn't underrated coming out of HS. He was largely considered the prize of that class. He was still a little raw/awkward his first couple of years, once he hit his stride in the college game we just weren't throwing to the tight end a whole lot.

I hope Travis Kelce gets more looks this year. Similar build to A-Rob and one of the best athletes on the team. It'd be a shame if he came and went with his career highlight being a couple wildcat TD's at Rutgers.

I'm not sure how this became about high school rankings or what that has to do with it. I was referring to the fact that Ben didn't get a lot of publicity over his career at UC yet is in the NFL and that Robinson has a chance to do the same thing.

I agree about Kelce and could see him following in Ben's footsteps.

03-03-2012 05:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.