Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Soul of the Big East
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN
Soul of the Big East
This is a great article out of Philly on the Big East. I believe BE will remain the premier basketball conference even with departure of CUSE, Pitt and WVU. There are some old rivalries that will live on. There is simply too much history to ignore all of that. NOVA/GTOWN/UCONN/ST Johns will still be around. With Temple coming, BE basketball will live on.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/pretz...64473.html
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2012 03:33 PM by SF Husky.)
02-27-2012 03:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
RE: Soul of the Big East
It's funny- I think with Memphis and Temple, to some degree, things will get back a bit more to the Big East of yesteryear- with more or an inner city presence. I think that'll help the recruiting out quite a bit quite frankly.
02-27-2012 03:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tigeer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UoM & WVU
The Memphis, UC and UoL trifecta will not hurt. Let's just hope the UoL hangs around.
02-27-2012 03:57 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
Great piece! 04-cheers
02-27-2012 03:59 PM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
UConn, Villanova, Georgetown, Temple, Louisville, Memphis, Cincinnati, Marquette, St. John's.

We were light years ahead of the ACC. Now we're going to be in a dog fight for #1, but we'll be ok.
02-27-2012 06:09 PM
mikeinsec127 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
Nice piece. I was watching RU/SH Saturday. The Rock was packed, having been a sellout for weeks. BE basketball is alive and well, even with those three schools leaving.
02-27-2012 06:35 PM
Advertisement

HtownOrange Offline
All American

I Root For: Syracuse
(02-27-2012 06:09 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  UConn, Villanova, Georgetown, Temple, Louisville, Memphis, Cincinnati, Marquette, St. John's.

We were light years ahead of the ACC. Now we're going to be in a dog fight for #1, but we'll be ok.

The dog fight for #1 is with the B1G and then the Big 12, then the ACC. You know I cheer my Orange on, but basketball wise, moving to the ACC was a bad move. Only Duke and UNC are worth talking about in basketball. Everyone else racks up wins by playing weak schedules or they fail to win enough to go to the Big Dance. Maryland has fallen very far. Syracuse and Pitt will add depth, but the others need to step up.

The Big 12 has been very good for a while now. The B1G is regaining prominence but really could use Indiana to shine again.
02-27-2012 07:13 PM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
Re: RE: Soul of the Big East
(02-27-2012 07:13 PM)HtownOrange Wrote:  
(02-27-2012 06:09 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  UConn, Villanova, Georgetown, Temple, Louisville, Memphis, Cincinnati, Marquette, St. John's.

The dog fight for #1 is with the B1G and then the Big 12, then the ACC. You know I cheer my Orange on, but basketball wise, moving to the ACC was a bad move. Only Duke and UNC are worth talking about in basketball. Everyone else racks up wins by playing weak schedules or they fail to win enough to go to the Big Dance. Maryland has fallen very far. Syracuse and Pitt will add depth, but the others need to step up.

The Big 12 has been very good for a while now. The B1G is regaining prominence but really could use Indiana to shine again.

I think the ACC other than the big 2 has been down for a while now. Occasionally Maryland or NC State make a run but otherwise its down. That being said Pitt and Cuse being in the ACC will help with depth and with recruiting northeastern players. The Big 12 is the most underrated conference in America. Its always good and several teams deep. Shame Missouri is leaving it for the SEC.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
02-27-2012 07:58 PM
Bearcat_Bounce Offline
God Like Summoner

I Root For: Winners
(02-27-2012 03:57 PM)Tigeer Wrote:  The Memphis, UC and UoL trifecta will not hurt. Let's just hope the UoL hangs around.

Agreed. 04-cheers
02-27-2012 07:59 PM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
(02-27-2012 07:13 PM)HtownOrange Wrote:  

The Big 10 has been #4 or #5 for 30+ years. It's going to take a long time for them to earn respect.
02-27-2012 08:01 PM
tnzazz Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
The Big East and CUSA are similar in that they are mainly city schools. We will fit in nicely. Cal started playing in the NE from day one and Pastner has continued it. Most people in the NE know Memphis basketball.
02-27-2012 08:07 PM
Advertisement

Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
(02-27-2012 07:59 PM)Bearcat_Bounce Wrote:  
(02-27-2012 03:57 PM)Tigeer Wrote:  The Memphis, UC and UoL trifecta will not hurt. Let's just hope the UoL hangs around.

Agreed. 04-cheers

x3
02-27-2012 08:12 PM
pzz189 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Temple
I can assure you when Temple's recruiting picks up it will not disappoint....

Temple, like others in the NBE, is a very up-and-coming school athletically and academically. After being a commuter school until as recently as the 90s Temple is now solidifying its identity as a major national university and the Big East brand will help to continue that. Nova-Temple has the potential to become huge in Philly and build interest in the conference for casual college basketball fans.
02-27-2012 09:12 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
Glad for Temple...come on in boys
02-27-2012 09:14 PM
snowycuse Offline
Special Teams

(02-27-2012 06:35 PM)mikeinsec127 Wrote:  Nice piece. I was watching RU/SH Saturday. The Rock was packed, having been a sellout for weeks. BE basketball is alive and well, even with those three schools leaving.

Someone needs to get their head on straight at the league office and SCHEDULE THE DAMN RIVALRY GAMES!!!!! Screw TV, competitive balance, or integrating the new teams with the old. I have no doubt the Big East will survive but they should continue to aspire to be #1 and they cannot do that if Rutgers is playing SMU, USF, and Marquette twice a year instead of Seton Hall and St. Johns.
02-27-2012 10:25 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
The "soul" of the Big East was built around Georgetown, St. John's, Syracuse, and Villanova from 82-88 and then it began a slight renaissance just before the ACC raid built around UConn, Pitt, and Syracuse, and then came into its full glory with the New Big East and unbelievable top programs UConn, Georgetown, Louisville, Marquette, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Villanova, and West Virginia.

In this thread a poster by the handle of Moqui gives a chart of the wins during the regular season since the beginning of the New Big East.

I doubt the college landscape will ever see a greater collection of basketball programs in one conference again.

Cheers,
Neil
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2012 12:21 AM by omniorange.)
02-28-2012 12:19 AM
Advertisement

USFMike Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(02-28-2012 12:19 AM)omniorange Wrote:  The "soul" of the Big East was built around Georgetown, St. John's, Syracuse, and Villanova from 82-88 and then it began a slight renaissance just before the ACC raid built around UConn, Pitt, and Syracuse, and then came into its full glory with the New Big East and unbelievable top programs UConn, Georgetown, Louisville, Marquette, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Villanova, and West Virginia.

In this thread a poster by the handle of Moqui gives a chart of the wins during the regular season since the beginning of the New Big East.

I doubt the college landscape will ever see a greater collection of basketball programs in one conference again.

Cheers,
Neil

agreed 100%, 11 bids from 1 conference,, 3 #1 seeds in one season, etc. i do wish we had more championships to show for it though...
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2012 01:14 AM by USFMike.)
02-28-2012 01:12 AM
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

(02-27-2012 07:13 PM)HtownOrange Wrote:  The dog fight for #1 is with the B1G and then the Big 12, then the ACC. You know I cheer my Orange on, but basketball wise, moving to the ACC was a bad move. Only Duke and UNC are worth talking about in basketball. Everyone else racks up wins by playing weak schedules or they fail to win enough to go to the Big Dance. Maryland has fallen very far. Syracuse and Pitt will add depth, but the others need to step up.

Have you seen the recruiting classes the rest of the ACC is bringing in for basketball? Rivals has 7/14 teams in the top 25. There are only 3 schools, (BC, CU, and UM), without a 4* recruit or better.

The move will help basketball.
02-28-2012 01:14 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
Big East has
Providence 7
Houston 14
Villanova 17
Notre Dame 18
Georgetown 23
Memphis 25

The move won't help Syracuse basketball one iota. The ACC simply currently is not as good as the Big East. ACC this year will be LUCKY to have 5 tourney teams. Big East has a real shot at 10 bids, probably will settle for 8-9. One of the 10 teams that might not get a bid- West Virginia. Meanwhile, coming in is Memphis and Temple- and heck, Houston with a top 15 recruiting class(and you know that's going to continue). And, the bottom line, Syracuse, when Boeheim leaves, who knows what that will be like. Heck, I'd say it's a very real possiblity that Boeheim NEVER coaches in the ACC.
02-28-2012 01:37 AM
cttu Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Temple
(02-28-2012 01:14 AM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  
(02-27-2012 07:13 PM)HtownOrange Wrote:  The dog fight for #1 is with the B1G and then the Big 12, then the ACC. You know I cheer my Orange on, but basketball wise, moving to the ACC was a bad move. Only Duke and UNC are worth talking about in basketball. Everyone else racks up wins by playing weak schedules or they fail to win enough to go to the Big Dance. Maryland has fallen very far. Syracuse and Pitt will add depth, but the others need to step up.

Have you seen the recruiting classes the rest of the ACC is bringing in for basketball? Rivals has 7/14 teams in the top 25. There are only 3 schools, (BC, CU, and UM), without a 4* recruit or better.

The move will help basketball.

Doesn't Syracuse already anually have a top recruiting class? So how will it help?
Also, Syracuse gets a good amount of recruits form Philly, and some of those will go to T U now : ) (not me just saying that, I remember an article saying that citing scoop jardine as an example )
02-28-2012 01:55 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.