Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If we beat WKU...
Bookmark and Share
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
If we beat WKU...
which I know is a big if (I know I am assuming they will beat FIU, but WKU is playing as good as anybody right now), it looks like Denver is bracketed in the #3 seed no matter if they win or lose today. I'd really rather play Denver than ULL. Denver is the better "team", but ULL has so much talent that they are unpredictable. We know what we'll get from Denver. We have already prepared for their style, twice, and handled it well. But right now, my biggest worry is getting past a likely matchup with WKU.
02-26-2012 09:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: If we beat WKU...
Well we've got to win three games to win the tournament, so let the chips fall where they may. With our team, you can rest assured we're probably not going to blow anybody out. Every game will be a nail biter, and just hope we can keep squeezing out wins. Most unusual season I can ever recall. Start out 3-10, and then win the West again. Can we win three games in a row? I don't know, but we won four last year, so why not? But we know it's a crapshoot, so let's hope we roll 7's instead of snake eyes!
02-26-2012 09:35 AM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-26-2012 09:35 AM)outsideualr Wrote:  Well we've got to win three games to win the tournament, so let the chips fall where they may. With our team, you can rest assured we're probably not going to blow anybody out. Every game will be a nail biter, and just hope we can keep squeezing out wins. Most unusual season I can ever recall. Start out 3-10, and then win the West again. Can we win three games in a row? I don't know, but we won four last year, so why not? But we know it's a crapshoot, so let's hope we roll 7's instead of snake eyes!

Is there any advantage to having the bye before we play WKU? I'd like to buy the "fresh legs" argument, but I've never bought it before. If WKU wins they will have won 4 of their last 5 games. They will come into our game with a ton of confidence, have gotten the tournament jitters out of their system, have gotten comfortable with the surroundings and the court in Hot Springs. I certainl do agree that winning 3 games is easier then winning 4. I just don't believe the bye gives you any advantage when the ball is tipped off and the game begins.
02-26-2012 09:45 AM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

I agree that in the first game, there is no advantage to a bye, but last season withstanding, I think each game after the first, the advantage, all things being equal, goes to the team who has played less games. Of course, on the other side of the argument, each game a team wins gives them more confidence, so who knows. But if you have a bye, the first game is probably the scariest because your opponent is coming off a win, and you haven't gotten the rust off yet, so you might dig yourself a hole that hard to get out of before your players get rid of their tournament nerves.
02-26-2012 10:13 AM
Advertisement

RBL Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Little Rock
(02-26-2012 09:45 AM)mjs Wrote:  
(02-26-2012 09:35 AM)outsideualr Wrote:  Well we've got to win three games to win the tournament, so let the chips fall where they may. With our team, you can rest assured we're probably not going to blow anybody out. Every game will be a nail biter, and just hope we can keep squeezing out wins. Most unusual season I can ever recall. Start out 3-10, and then win the West again. Can we win three games in a row? I don't know, but we won four last year, so why not? But we know it's a crapshoot, so let's hope we roll 7's instead of snake eyes!

Is there any advantage to having the bye before we play WKU? I'd like to buy the "fresh legs" argument, but I've never bought it before. If WKU wins they will have won 4 of their last 5 games. They will come into our game with a ton of confidence, have gotten the tournament jitters out of their system, have gotten comfortable with the surroundings and the court in Hot Springs. I certainl do agree that winning 3 games is easier then winning 4. I just don't believe the bye gives you any advantage when the ball is tipped off and the game begins.

Well when we played WKU at their place and lost this year they had fresh legs for a Saturday game not having played since the Sunday before at Denver. Who knows.
02-26-2012 10:54 AM
PTJR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LR / UR / CU
(02-26-2012 09:26 AM)mjs Wrote:  which I know is a big if (I know I am assuming they will beat FIU, but WKU is playing as good as anybody right now), it looks like Denver is bracketed in the #3 seed no matter if they win or lose today. I'd really rather play Denver than ULL. Denver is the better "team", but ULL has so much talent that they are unpredictable. We know what we'll get from Denver. We have already prepared for their style, twice, and handled it well. But right now, my biggest worry is getting past a likely matchup with WKU.

I agree with you totally on preferring Denver over ULL for the reasons you state. However, if Denver loses today to UNT, that will make ULL the #3 seed instead of Denver. Here's a link to BTH that explains this:

http://www.burnthehorse.blogspot.com/201...final.html

Of course if we don't get by that first game on Sunday, it's all academic.
02-26-2012 12:31 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-26-2012 12:31 PM)PTJR Wrote:  
(02-26-2012 09:26 AM)mjs Wrote:  which I know is a big if (I know I am assuming they will beat FIU, but WKU is playing as good as anybody right now), it looks like Denver is bracketed in the #3 seed no matter if they win or lose today. I'd really rather play Denver than ULL. Denver is the better "team", but ULL has so much talent that they are unpredictable. We know what we'll get from Denver. We have already prepared for their style, twice, and handled it well. But right now, my biggest worry is getting past a likely matchup with WKU.

I agree with you totally on preferring Denver over ULL for the reasons you state. However, if Denver loses today to UNT, that will make ULL the #3 seed instead of Denver. Here's a link to BTH that explains this:

http://www.burnthehorse.blogspot.com/201...final.html

Of course if we don't get by that first game on Sunday, it's all academic.

Thanks for the heads up. I knew Denver had beaten MTSU and thought that would be the tie-breaker. I think it would have been if just ULL and Denver tied. I guess I'll be pulling for Denver today. Really doesn't matter a whole lot since any of the 11 teams in the tourney can beat anyone else. And, of course, and doesn't matter to me at all if we don't get by our first game.
02-26-2012 01:45 PM
Advertisement

Hilltopper2K Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: WKU!!!
(02-26-2012 10:54 AM)RBL Wrote:  Well when we played WKU at their place and lost this year they had fresh legs for a Saturday game not having played since the Sunday before at Denver. Who knows.

That definately was a factor.
02-27-2012 06:58 AM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

Plus we've always had problems with WKU, but I don't think our team will be intimidated by Western this year on a neutral court. If Western wins, it will just be because they were better that day. Not because of any supposed jinx.
02-27-2012 10:11 AM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-27-2012 10:11 AM)outsideualr Wrote:  Plus we've always had problems with WKU, but I don't think our team will be intimidated by Western this year on a neutral court. If Western wins, it will just be because they were better that day. Not because of any supposed jinx.

Maybe that's the positive. Although most of our players haven't been here long, Western Kentucky still is the biggest "name" in the Belt no matter what there record is. No problem convincing the players how good they are despite their seed. And, of course, they beat us this year.
02-27-2012 01:02 PM
Advertisement

Robert C Offline
littlerocktrojans.com

I Root For: LR,Tulsa
(02-27-2012 01:02 PM)mjs Wrote:  Maybe that's the positive. Although most of our players haven't been here long, Western Kentucky still is the biggest "name" in the Belt no matter what there record is. No problem convincing the players how good they are despite their seed. And, of course, they beat us this year.

When it comes to fan support for their basketball, there's no comparison.
02-27-2012 02:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

Our players might not know anything about the past, but they'll remember that WKU beat them this year, so there will be a little payback factor there.
02-27-2012 04:41 PM
Hilltopper2K Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: WKU!!!
I know that you guys lost a lot off of last year's team but don't discount the tournament experience that your returning guys have from last year.

You often see teams go on "runs" of championships. WKU, UNT, Ulala, etc.

It is easier to maintain success than it is to build it.
02-27-2012 11:29 PM
Advertisement

MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
(02-27-2012 11:29 PM)Hilltopper2K Wrote:  It is easier to maintain success than it is to build it.

That is a profound statement.
02-28-2012 08:13 AM
ez272 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Little Rock
I like the fact WKU is playing FIU first. What we need is a fight to break out so some players are suspended for the next game. With that bunch at FIU, that is possible.
03-01-2012 05:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.