BCS Format change in offing
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First

BCS format change in offing

FIFTH BOWL: EXTRA GAME IN '06 WOULD HAVE HELPED CAL IN '04:
By Jon Wilner
Mercury News

In the end, Cal's bid for the Rose Bowl was derailed by bad weather (Hurricane Ivan), a bad impression (the narrow win at Southern Mississippi) that led to a drop in the polls, and very bad timing.

If Sunday's scenario had played out two years from now -- with the Bears finishing fifth in the Bowl Championship Series rankings -- they'd be headed to Pasadena to play Michigan, not to the Holiday Bowl to face Texas Tech.

The caveats in the rules that blocked Cal's path to the Rose Bowl will not exist when the new BCS format takes effect for the 2006 season.

Of course, that's little consolation for a team that went 10-1 and dominated No. 1 USC, for fans who waited 46 years for a trip to the Rose Bowl or for the Pacific-10 Conference, which was hoping for an additional $3 million (approximately) to be divided equally among its members.

``We're thrilled that USC is the first team from our league to play in the championship game,'' Commissioner Tom Hansen said. ``But it's bittersweet because of what happened to Cal.''

After an unimpressive victory at Southern Mississippi last weekend -- the game was postponed from Sept. 16 because of Hurricane Ivan -- the Bears dropped to fifth in the final BCS rankings.

In that spot, they were victimized by rules that govern which teams receive the two at-large bids to the major bowls: Utah, which is not a BCS-conference member, got one bid for finishing sixth; Texas, which is a BCS member, got the other after vaulting Cal into fourth.

``If Utah had not been there, Cal would have been fine, and if Texas had stayed fifth, Cal would have been fine,'' Rose Bowl chief executive Mitch Dorger said.

Under contract

Dorger said he learned of Cal's snub Sunday morning, several hours before the BCS pairings show. He shared his frustration with Hansen.

``We talked about alternatives,'' Dorger said, ``but it's clearly in no one's best interest to pull out of the BCS.''

Contractually, it can't happen. The Rose Bowl signed an eight-year deal with ABC last summer worth an average of $30 million per game -- a more lucrative deal than the one the Sugar, Orange and Fiesta bowls signed with Fox ($20 million per bowl per year).

The contract negotiations last summer prompted bowl officials to re-evaluate the BCS format, Dorger said, and they considered four options: going back to the pre-BCS system; using the current format with a few tweaks; changing to the ``BCS-plus'' system in which the BCS standings would be recalculated after the four major bowls, with the top two teams playing for the national title; and a playoff.

`Double-hosting'

In the end, officials chose to tweak the current system by adding a fifth game.

In what has been dubbed the ``double-hosting'' format, each BCS bowl will host a second game every fourth year. (When the new contract takes effect for the '06 season, the Fiesta Bowl will host its traditional game one week and a national title game the next.)

The extra game creates two more slots: six automatic bids to conference winners and four at-large berths, instead of the current two.

In addition, the automatic bids reserved for BCS teams in the top four (i.e. Texas) and non-BCS teams in the top six (i.e. Utah) will be eliminated.

``The BCS was initially intended to pick the top two teams,'' Hansen said. ``Then we added other responsibilities . . . and got ourselves in the position where the bowls have less freedom of choice and a team like Cal can be passed over by a team below it like Utah.'
12-09-2004 12:55 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

WacoBearcat Away
Heisman

I Root For: UC

The extra game creates two more slots: six automatic bids to conference winners and four at-large berths, instead of the current two.

In addition, the automatic bids reserved for BCS teams in the top four (i.e. Texas) and non-BCS teams in the top six (i.e. Utah) will be eliminated.

``The BCS was initially intended to pick the top two teams,'' Hansen said. ``Then we added other responsibilities . . . and got ourselves in the position where the bowls have less freedom of choice and a team like Cal can be passed over by a team below it like Utah.'
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unequivocal evidence that the Big East will not lose its BCS spot. But there is also another interesting thing here. The conventional thinking is the addition of a 5th BCS bowl increases access to a BCS bowl for non-BCS teams. But by eliminating the automatic bids based on BCS rankings, hasn't it actually decreased the access for non-BCS teams into these bowls, and increased the likelhood that a second team from the ACC, SEC, Big 12, Big 10, Pac10, or Big East will be selected? It really looks like the answer to this question is a big yes. A 5th BCS bowl may in fact work against non-BCS leagues. A 5th BCS bowl = more money for BCS conferences.
12-09-2004 01:27 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

Not really, it increases the chance because if a Non BCS Champ get a Final BCS ranking of 12 or higher-(Louisville, Utah and Boise State did that this year) they get an automatic bid. So more then likely the Rose Bowl would have chosen Cal over Texas and they would have been screwed. But you would have had 3 Non BCS Conference champs in the BCS. That would have pissed off the networks. 04-cheers
12-09-2004 01:32 AM
WacoBearcat Away
Heisman

Here is my point Maize.

Had the auto-bids not been in place this year, the Fiesta and Rose Bowls could have passed on Utah and taken Texas and Cal. And that's a likely scenario. And just because there are more slots doesn't necessarily increase the odds that a non-BCS team will get selected. It will be interesting to see what these new rules create in the BCS. But I am convinced had the auto-bids not been in play this year, Texas not Utah would be in the Fiesta Bowl.
12-09-2004 01:41 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I think you are a little confused. They are doing away with the Top 6 for Non BCS because it is not needed. If a school from a Non BCS Conference is in the Top 12 they get an automatic bid.

Let say the rules were in effect this year, this is how it would have went down.

Big 10-Michigan Automatic Bid
Pac 10-USC Automatic Bid
SEC-Auburn Automatic Bid
Big 12-Oklahoma Automatic Bid
Big East-Pittsburgh Automatic Bid
ACC-Virginia Tech Automatic Bid

Now you have 4 at large slots. But with Louisville, Boise State and Utah in the Final Top 12 in the Final BCS Rankings they receive Automatic Bids.

Louisville-Automatic Bid Final BCS Ranking of 10
Boise State-Automatic Bid Final BCS Ranking of 9
Utah-Automatic Bid Final BCS Ranking of 6

That leaves only 1 At Large Bid that would probably go to Cal since the Rose Bowl had the first pick.
12-09-2004 01:55 AM
Advertisement

WacoBearcat Away
Heisman

Ok, I see what you are saying, and I am misinterpreting the rules.
12-09-2004 02:27 AM
EnterSandman Offline
Master Of Your Domain

I Root For: The Ville

Maize Wrote:I think you are a little confused. They are doing away with the Top 6 for Non BCS because it is not needed. If a school from a Non BCS Conference is in the Top 12 they get an automatic bid.

Let say the rules were in effect this year, this is how it would have went down.

Big 10-Michigan Automatic Bid
Pac 10-USC Automatic Bid
SEC-Auburn Automatic Bid
Big 12-Oklahoma Automatic Bid
Big East-Pittsburgh Automatic Bid
ACC-Virginia Tech Automatic Bid

Now you have 4 at large slots. But with Louisville, Boise State and Utah in the Final Top 12 in the Final BCS Rankings they receive Automatic Bids.

Louisville-Automatic Bid Final BCS Ranking of 10
Boise State-Automatic Bid Final BCS Ranking of 9
Utah-Automatic Bid Final BCS Ranking of 6

That leaves only 1 At Large Bid that would probably go to Cal since the Rose Bowl had the first pick.
Hey Maize...I think that only two non-BCS teams get the auto bid if they finish in the top 12, not three or more. So if that had been in place this year than #6 Utah and #9 Bosie St. would be playing in the BCS, while #10 Louisville would still be playing in Memphis in the Liberty Bowl.
12-09-2004 12:30 PM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I Root For: Omar Sneed

EnterSandman Wrote:Hey Maize...I think that only two non-BCS teams get the auto bid if they finish in the top 12, not three or more. So if that had been in place this year than #6 Utah and #9 Bosie St. would be playing in the BCS, while #10 Louisville would still be playing in Memphis in the Liberty Bowl.
That hasn't been decided yet (allowing only 2 non-BCS automatic bids if there are 3 teams in the top 12), but you're probably right in that they probably will limit it to 2 non-BCS bids.
12-10-2004 04:53 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville

One thing is sure the BCS is broke.
12-12-2004 08:52 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.