Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Article: Q+A with Paul Zeise of the PPG
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Q: Should the Big East expand to 12 teams in order to keep its status as a major conference?
Larry Braasch of Carney's Point, N.J.

ZEISE: Only if the football schools do what they should have done last year - break away from the basketball schools and make a commitment to becoming a football conference. As it is, in order to expand to 12 football schools, it would either have to find four football-only members or add four new members and have a 20-team hoop league - which would be ridiculous. I think if the Big East were going to expand as a football conference, the other issue would be finding four more teams worthy of being in a BCS league -- or capable of growing into a legitimate program. They would also have to fit geographically, academically and have strong, or at least potentially strong, basketball programs so as to ensure the grouping of football schools also yields a strong basketball conference. Obviously with Pitt, UConn, Syracuse, Cincinnati and Louisville, the basketball conference is off to a great start. Given that criteria, however, I'm not sure there are four schools out there that make sense at this point. So in short, the best the Big East football conference can do is schedule well out of conference, win the majority of those games and field multiple top 25 teams every year.

Next year, I think, will be a huge year for the conference because it will prove whether or not it can be a competitive BCS conference. Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville and West Virginia could all end up being ranked by the end of the season if all four play up to their capabilities. It is critical, for the conference's sake, for instance, that Pitt win at Nebraska and beat Notre Dame. Those are the kind of out of conference wins the Big East needs to start compiling and those four teams appear capable of doing it next year.

---

Q: I keep hearing the Big East football schools want to break away from the basketball schools, but never a reason why. I trust basketball schools do not share money from bowl games.
Joel Nace of Girard, Pa.

ZEISE: That was one of the great debates during the whole Big East break-up and frankly there was some sentiment to split up between basketball and football schools. That is one of the reasons Miami wanted to leave -- they felt the conference was dominated by the basketball school's voice and that the commissioner was a basketball guy. I'm not sure that sentiment still exists today, especially since the basketball conference is going to carry the load until the football conference gets on its feet. And you are correct, the bowl money is split among the football members only.

---

Q: Do you think Boston College is thinking twice about its decision to join the ACC?
Chris F. of Pittsburgh

ZEISE: If they aren't, they should be. My goodness, this has to go down as one of the most asinine conference jumps ever. They have no geographical rivals in the ACC, the non-revenue sports travel costs will balloon (there aren't any more bus trips or short, easy flights) and the football team has almost no chance of ever winning the conference and going to the BCS. If they were still in the Big East, they'd contend for the football title every year (the conference would be stronger and thus, the BCS berth less in question) and they'd maintain their geographical rivalries. Of course, I'm sure the Bostonians are thinking about giving up their ALCS tickets and lining up to catch that scintillating Boston College versus Georgia Tech football match-up in Chestnut Hill. You didn't know it but those two are storied rivals and there is far more interest in that game than say, Syracuse versus BC. Please! More importantly, the fact that BC doesn't want to play Connecticut and Syracuse tells me they are clueless. They should want to play those two schools, especially at home -- at least then they may have a chance at selling a few tickets to a game other than Notre Dame.
12-10-2004 06:31 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

TopCoog Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

This guy is a complete idiot. If they could have kept Miami they would have done anything to do so. he also knows that there are not 4 BCS worth schools out there for the Big East to add or that would go. Boston College hasn't spent 10 seconds regretting its move and of the 8 football schools every single one would trip over their dong to get into the ACC.
12-10-2004 06:38 PM
nflsucks Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Quote:This guy is a complete idiot.
Of course he is. Anyone who even discusses (not necesarilly even saying they are for or against it) a split is an idiot. He must be from this board. :rolleyes:
12-10-2004 07:05 PM
Advertisement

Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

Looks like TopCoog is getting bent out of shape that someone is actually agreeing with us! :laugh:

This guy is a complete idiot. If they could have kept Miami they would have done anything to do so.

And? The guy didn't say the conference could keep them, he said the reason Miami left was because they felt the basketball side dominated the conference.

he also knows that there are not 4 BCS worth schools out there for the Big East to add or that would go.

His opinion.

Boston College hasn't spent 10 seconds regretting its move and of the 8 football schools every single one would trip over their dong to get into the ACC

Funny you should say that. The BC AD was interviewed a few months ago and he basically let on that he regretted the move. He never said it, but when asked about whether BC would have stayed if they had known that the Big East would keep their BCS bid he danced around the question. If you really believe Boston College hasn't spent time regretting their move you're even dumber then we think you are. Heck, Boston College's AD and many of the alum didn't want to move to the ACC but they were overruled by the BC president who had dream of academic hobknobbing with Duke and others.
12-10-2004 08:39 PM
L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Cat's_Claw Wrote:Looks like TopCoog is getting bent out of shape that someone is actually agreeing with us! :laugh:
Someone? Everyone that has any sense agrees with us.
12-10-2004 09:33 PM
Advertisement

Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:I think if the Big East were going to expand as a football conference, the other issue would be finding four more teams worthy of being in a BCS league -- or capable of growing into a legitimate program. They would also have to fit geographically, academically and have strong, or at least potentially strong, basketball programs so as to ensure the grouping of football schools also yields a strong basketball conference

-- Right now...there is only one school that fits that discription (although were stretching the geography a bit)....the Memphis Tigers

Jackson
12-11-2004 09:10 AM
WacoBearcat Away
Heisman

I Root For: UC

Agreed Jackson,

We need to find a way to get Memphis into the league as a all-sports member. I know that creates 17 schools for basketball, but this can work for the short-term until a split occurs. Actually an all-sports conference of West Virginia, Syracuse, Connecticut, Pittsburg, Rutgers, Louisville, Cincinnati, and Memphis would be an outstanding 9-team conference. Then, if Notre Dame wants to agree to a partial Big East schedule of football to protect its basketball and other sports you have 10 football schools. That's a solid and extremely marketable conference.
12-11-2004 09:21 AM
Advertisement

wvucrazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: West Virginia

we have 16 already, which is ridiculous - why not go to 17? At this point, one more hardly makes a difference in an already too-large BB league, but at least we would have 9 FT for football. Memphis would be great for the league.
12-11-2004 02:10 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First

wvucrazed Wrote:we have 16 already, which is ridiculous - why not go to 17? At this point, one more hardly makes a difference in an already too-large BB league, but at least we would have 9 FT for football. Memphis would be great for the league.
Go to 18 and add either Xavier or Dayton along with either Memphis or ECU. Reason when the split happens and even though Top Coog doesn't believe it will happen it will make the adjustment easier for both sides with ready made All Sports/Basketball Conference. Notre Dame would have to decided whether to stick with the Basketball schools or join either the Big 10 or Big East.
12-11-2004 02:34 PM
Advertisement

Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:we have 16 already, which is ridiculous - why not go to 17? At this point, one more hardly makes a difference in an already too-large BB league, but at least we would have 9 FT for football. Memphis would be great for the league.

-- I was referring to future expansion at the end of the decade when the football schools will split....it would be really nice to be able to work out somekind of football only membership for Memphis now...pretty sure their fans would much rather see A10 hoops for the next 5 yrs then CUSA basketball

Jackson
12-11-2004 02:46 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville

Topcoog = Topstooge! 04-rock 04-rock 04-rock 04-rock 04-rock
12-11-2004 05:58 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.