Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

QUICK HYPOTHETICAL
aTxTIGER Offline
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
QUICK HYPOTHETICAL
I realize this these are two issues that have no causal relationship with each other. However, I'd still like to have your opinions.

Which scenario would you rather have?

1) Unemployment is down to 2-5% for the next 20 years, however, gay marriage is legal in every state in the country.

2) Unemployment is between 10-15% for the next 20 years, however, gay marriage will be outlawed all throughout the country for that time span.

Once again, i realize the lack of causality. Just curious to your opinions.
02-21-2012 11:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

rice09 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
RE: QUICK HYPOTHETICAL
(02-21-2012 11:19 PM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  I realize this these are two issues that have no causal relationship with each other. However, I'd still like to have your opinions.

1) Unemployment is down to 2-5% for the next 20 years, however, gay marriage is legal in every state in the country.

2) Unemployment is between 10-15% for the next 20 years, however, gay marriage will be outlawed all throughout the country for that time span.

#1. As Carville sort-of said: 'It's the economy, stupid!'

While they aren't really related I do find it an interesting question, because by devoting campaign or legislative time toward economic or social issues, Republicans are implicitly demonstrating their preference for one of these two outcomes. Democrats are also implicitly choosing between good economy+ban gay marriage vs bad economy+gay marriage, though since Republicans and Democrats approach 'solving' the economy in completely different manners, it seems likely that either the Republicans or Democrats (or both) actually hurt the economy whenever they spend their political capital to try to make it better.
02-22-2012 01:33 AM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
(02-21-2012 11:19 PM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  I realize this these are two issues that have no causal relationship with each other. However, I'd still like to have your opinions.

Anybody who answers #2 concerns me deeply.
02-22-2012 03:35 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(02-22-2012 03:35 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
Anybody who answers #2 concerns me deeply.

No kidding.

What really concerns me is that the only way to get unemployment down is to revitalize the producer side of our economy, and the only hope for doing that would seem to lie with republicans, and that's not much of a hope because they're spending all their time trying to outlaw gay marriage.
02-22-2012 07:59 AM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
Yep, #1 is a win-win, imo.
02-22-2012 08:31 AM
I'mMoreAwesomeThanYou Offline
Medium Pimping

I Root For: America
02-22-2012 08:33 AM
Advertisement

flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
who would answer 2?
02-22-2012 08:50 AM
Medium Pimping

How about the reverse...

1.) Gay marriage was banned and the economy would boom for the next 20-25 years

2.) Gay marriage was legal and the economy continued south for 20-25 years.
02-22-2012 09:03 AM
AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

I Root For: UMD / W&M

(is this a "common ground" thread where we all hug it out before going to our respective corners?)
02-22-2012 09:11 AM
Medium Pimping

(02-22-2012 09:11 AM)AtlanticLeague Wrote:  #1

(is this a "common ground" thread where we all hug it out before going to our respective corners?)

No. Just seeing how far your/their ideology goes.
02-22-2012 09:12 AM
AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

I Root For: UMD / W&M
(02-22-2012 09:12 AM)ImMoreAwesomeThanYou Wrote:  

Need a more subtle question than this then. It's disappointing to see the GOP double-down on social issues the past few weeks. The RNC has to be having a heart attack watching Santorum's poll numbers surge.
02-22-2012 09:15 AM
Advertisement

Medium Pimping

(02-22-2012 09:15 AM)AtlanticLeague Wrote:  
(02-22-2012 09:12 AM)ImMoreAwesomeThanYou Wrote:  

Need a more subtle question than this then. It's disappointing to see the GOP double-down on social issues the past few weeks. The RNC has to be having a heart attack watching Santorum's poll numbers surge.

Gay marriage ins't my big issue. My number one issue right now is the economy. I don't think Santorum can beat Obama.
02-22-2012 09:19 AM
aTxTIGER Offline

Donators
(02-22-2012 09:03 AM)ImMoreAwesomeThanYou Wrote:  How about the reverse...

1.) Gay marriage was banned and the economy would boom for the next 20-25 years

2.) Gay marriage was legal and the economy continued south for 20-25 years.

it would still be number 1. Social issues will work themselves out eventually, especially in prosperous times.
02-22-2012 10:50 AM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog

1) How about Unemployment is down to 2-5% for the next 20 years, however, Weed, alcohol, tobacco, and caffeine are all outlawed in every state

2) Unemployment is between 10-15% for the next 20 years, however, the above substances are all legal.

Saying that you 'understand' there is no causality does not make the act of acting like their is some causality any less silly.
02-22-2012 11:05 AM
aTxTIGER Offline

Donators
(02-22-2012 11:05 AM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  

Saying that you 'understand' there is no causality does not make the act of acting like their is some causality any less silly.

Seriously? I think you need to slow your roll. It's just to see what is more important to people.

BTW, on yours, I would choose the economy. Drugs and alcohol can be banned but can't be made to disappear.
02-22-2012 11:10 AM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
(02-22-2012 11:10 AM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  

Seriously? I think you need to slow your roll. It's just to see what is more important to people.

BTW, on yours, I would choose the economy. Drugs and alcohol can be banned but can't be made to disappear.

It's a silly question, sorry if that seems like a hard core criticism worthy of me 'slowing my roll'

[Image: bacon-cinnamon-roll-150x150.jpg]

Slow down you damn roll!
02-22-2012 11:18 AM
Advertisement

aTxTIGER Offline

Donators
(02-22-2012 11:18 AM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  
(02-22-2012 11:10 AM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  

It's a silly question, sorry if that seems like a hard core criticism worthy of me 'slowing my roll'

[Image: bacon-cinnamon-roll-150x150.jpg]

Slow down you damn roll!

damn, that roll looks good.
02-22-2012 11:20 AM
BlazerFan11 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB

1) How about Unemployment is down to 2-5% for the next 20 years, however, Weed, alcohol, tobacco, and caffeine are all outlawed in every state

2) Unemployment is between 10-15% for the next 20 years, however, the above substances are all legal.

There might not have been causality in aTx's situation, but at least the two outcomes were independently possible. If all those substances were banned nationwide, there is absolutely no way unemployment would drop that low, unless you are depending on so many people leaving the labor force (or the country altogether). There are too many people who work in the entertainment/hospitality/tourism sectors that depend on high profit margins from alcohol, and worker productivity would plummet due to the caffeine prohibition. Plus, California would completely disintegrate. 03-lmfao
02-22-2012 12:27 PM
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

How abt...

#1 Illegal immigration is banned and the economy takes off like a rocket and unemployment is below 2% for 20+ years
#2 Leave thing the way they are for the next 20 years
02-22-2012 12:51 PM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
The point of the question is likely... How far or deep do your social mandates go. Interestingly, virtually all of the right wants a stronger economy... As does, I suspect the left. On the social question, certainly SOMe want to punish gays, but it's a small group, and even smaller that would sacrifice the economy to "win". The right is probably around 50/50 or even better of people who, despite their personal opinion, want the government out of our lives.

You would think, with most liberals wanting gay marriage legal, and half of republicans wanting it to not be an issue for the government, which would make it defecto, legal... It is still slow to get done. The left will argue that the far right controls the party, but the truth is, the left isn't satisfied with accomplishing the goal. It insists on outlawing the thoughts. This is true of Abortion, racism, sexism etc etc. the left just can't see that the whole reason the far rights argument has any traction at all, is because the left wants to criminalize their belief system to support another belief system. Freedom is freedom... The right to be wrong... The right to be different. That includes differences that the majority finds abhorrent.

I just don't understand why the left doesn't see this... And I'd call out the resident lefties to answer the real question...

If marriage were a religious distinction alone and carried no weight with the government, would you drop the gay marriage issue?
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2012 02:52 PM by Hambone10.)
02-22-2012 02:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.