Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

On more reason to want to beat ASU Saturday
Bookmark and Share
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
We will very likely be the 2 seed. If ASU wins at WKU, they would have a chance to be the 7 seed if they beat us, meaning they would match up with us in the second round if they win their first tournament game. That would be pretty much the reverse of what happened last season. Beating ASU in the tourney made the season for me, last year, regardless of what happened after that. Beating us in the tourney would make their season, so I really don't want to give them that opportunity. We beat them, they end up as the 8th or 9th seeding, meaning a matchup with MTSU awaits if they win. Not a pleasant prospect.
02-19-2012 10:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: On more reason to want to beat ASU Saturday
I want to win every game, and would like to not meet Middle until the final. Of course we'll have to get past two other teams in order to do that, and in a one game elimination, as we learned last year, anything could happen. And definitely it would not be good to have to play ASU in the tournament, especially if we win the game Saturday. It's pretty hard to beat a team three times in a year. But if we're going to win the tournament, we have to beat the best, so let the chips fall where they may.
02-19-2012 10:23 AM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-19-2012 10:23 AM)outsideualr Wrote:  I want to win every game, and would like to not meet Middle until the final. Of course we'll have to get past two other teams in order to do that, and in a one game elimination, as we learned last year, anything could happen. And definitely it would not be good to have to play ASU in the tournament, especially if we win the game Saturday. It's pretty hard to beat a team three times in a year. But if we're going to win the tournament, we have to beat the best, so let the chips fall where they may.

I'll go with Wimp's theory on that one. If you beat a team twice, it's likely that you are better than them. No reason you shouldn't win the third one.
02-19-2012 10:26 AM
Advertisement

outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

Well, let's hope that theory holds true, especially if we win Saturday and then have to play them in the tournament.
02-19-2012 10:31 AM
Jim Tripcony Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UALR TROJANS
(02-19-2012 10:26 AM)mjs Wrote:  
(02-19-2012 10:23 AM)outsideualr Wrote:  I want to win every game, and would like to not meet Middle until the final. Of course we'll have to get past two other teams in order to do that, and in a one game elimination, as we learned last year, anything could happen. And definitely it would not be good to have to play ASU in the tournament, especially if we win the game Saturday. It's pretty hard to beat a team three times in a year. But if we're going to win the tournament, we have to beat the best, so let the chips fall where they may.

I'll go with Wimp's theory on that one. If you beat a team twice, it's likely that you are better than them. No reason you shouldn't win the third one.

We were just fortunate that Trey Finn got hurt last year so we could beat ASU the third time around.
02-19-2012 10:54 AM
Advertisement

ez272 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Little Rock
[/quote]

That's what ASU and North Texas said last year in the SBC tourney.
02-19-2012 10:58 AM
eh9198 Offline
All American

I Root For: Little Rock
(02-19-2012 10:54 AM)Jim Tripcony Wrote:  
(02-19-2012 10:26 AM)mjs Wrote:  

We were just fortunate that Trey Finn got hurt last year so we could beat ASU the third time around.

indeed
02-19-2012 12:08 PM
Advertisement

insideualr Offline
Lord of the Trojans

Speaking of which have we raised our ncaa tournament banner? Are we saving that for the stAte game?
02-19-2012 12:12 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-19-2012 10:31 AM)outsideualr Wrote:  Well, let's hope that theory holds true, especially if we win Saturday and then have to play them in the tournament.

If we beat them Saturday, we won't play them in the tournament. That is unless we both get to the final- possible, but quite unlikely.
02-19-2012 01:36 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-19-2012 01:36 PM)mjs Wrote:  
(02-19-2012 10:31 AM)outsideualr Wrote:  Well, let's hope that theory holds true, especially if we win Saturday and then have to play them in the tournament.

If we beat them Saturday, we won't play them in the tournament. That is unless we both get to the final- possible, but quite unlikely.

ASU could still be the 7th seed. They would have to win at WKU and at Little Rock. Also the loser of the FAU/USA game would also have to lose their last game. Crazier things have happened, but this scenario seems unlikely at the moment.
02-19-2012 02:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.