Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

AQ conferences, TV (ESPN/Fox) & BCS playing us like a fiddle
Bookmark and Share
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU
AQ conferences, TV (ESPN/Fox) & BCS playing us like a fiddle
Isn't this merger thing with a playoff seems too convenient for ALL the powers that be? Why would there be a buzz about a 4 team playoff where the champion is just a non-AQ super conference/alliance champ? Even if they also included the top 18 teams from the MAC and SB then call it the non-AQ national championship...oh thatIS the point.

They are all working an angle on us by having the TV people convince first the MWC/CUSA then the MAC along with the SB to form a super "alliance" that would bring them in the most $ per team while keeping most of their conference mates.

It seems so simple. They will say...Here is the stack of guaranteed cash each team will receive for your TV money. The teams qualifying for a playoff will get more and you get even more if you advance to the next round. All you have to do is join this "alliance" which will leave behind some "poor" teams who you don't need concern yourselves with since you are moving to a better situation financially with this "alliance". For all this we do expect cooperation with some creative scheduling on Tuesdays and Wednesdays as this is how we are able to offer you this much money. Oh and another positive is that you don't have to go to those silly expensive bowl games anymore. Instead the "alliance" can have an 8 team playoff where everyone has a shot at the "alliance" national championship.

So are we going to eat what they are spoon feeding?

For 90% of us it would be a good deal but for 10% there would be an opportunity lost for historic greatness. Is it worth it? Who won the FCS national championship this last season? Heck, I watched part of the game and don't even remember.
02-14-2012 11:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
RE: AQ conferences, TV (ESPN/Fox) & BCS playing us like a fiddle
I've been saying this for years.

I also said the nonAQ's should have formed an "Alliance" years ago, and had a playoff for national champ...making trademark claims and such to the titles. Then if the power conferences tried to make a move, you could claim infringment. Might have kept the nonAQs having a seat at the table.
02-14-2012 12:05 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU
(02-14-2012 12:05 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  I've been saying this for years.

I also said the nonAQ's should have formed an "Alliance" years ago, and had a playoff for national champ...making trademark claims and such to the titles. Then if the power conferences tried to make a move, you could claim infringment. Might have kept the nonAQs having a seat at the table.

FYI IHSA came up with March Madness, then the NCAA took it and used it for their own where they have made millions off of it. IHSA asked (eventually with lawyers) for some royalty or payment from the NCAA for using the term they created...that didn't work out so well.
02-14-2012 12:31 PM
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(02-14-2012 12:31 PM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  
(02-14-2012 12:05 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  I've been saying this for years.

FYI IHSA came up with March Madness, then the NCAA took it and used it for their own where they have made millions off of it. IHSA asked (eventually with lawyers) for some royalty or payment from the NCAA for using the term they created...that didn't work out so well.

Did IHSA formally trademark it?

Anyway, I can't speak to the justice in this country. It seems to be waning to very low levels.
02-14-2012 12:33 PM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

I Root For: High Fashion
By merging into a larger conference the CUSA/MWC leftovers have a greater probability of being included with the big guys later.

The AQ conferences can conquer and divide the non-AQ leagues by league when each conference has only 8 or 9 members and the AQ super conferences are sitting at 12-14.

If the networks are negotiating with only 2 non-AQ conferences (Alliance and the MAC) vs. MWC, CUSA, SBC, WAC, MAC it should give the 2 remaining non-AQ's leverage in negotiation.

The resume of a 15-0 team out of the alliance would be even greater than before with a chance of cracking the national championship semifinal. That is what its about, giving schools a chance to compete nationally.
02-14-2012 12:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.