Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
Whitney Houston, superstar of records, films, dies
Posted: Feb 11, 2012 8:04 PM EST
Updated: Feb 11, 2012 8:18 PM EST

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Whitney Houston, who reigned as pop music's queen until her majestic voice and regal image were ravaged by drug use, has died. She was 48.

Publicist Kristen Foster said Saturday that the singer had died, but the cause and the location of her death were unclear.

At her peak in the 1980s and `90s, Houston the golden girl of the music industry and one of the world's best-selling artists.

Among her hits were "How Will I Know," "Saving All My Love for You" and "I Will Always Love You." She won multiple Grammys including album and record of the year.

Her success carried her beyond music to movies like "The Bodyguard."

But by the end of her career, drug use took its toll as her record sales plummeted and her voice became raspy and hoarse.

http://www.fox19.com/story/16915325/whit...ormat=HTML

02-11-2012 08:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
RE: Whitney Houston, superstar of records, films, dies

Written by
NEKESA MUMBI MOODY
Associated Press

LOS ANGELES — Whitney Houston, who reigned as pop music’s queen until her majestic voice and regal image were ravaged by drug use, erratic behavior and a tumultuous marriage to singer Bobby Brown, has died. She was 48.

Publicist Kristen Foster said Saturday that the singer had died, but the cause and the location of her death were unknown.

At her peak, Houston the golden girl of the music industry. From the middle 1980s to the late 1990s, she was one of the world’s best-selling artists. She wowed audiences with effortless, powerful, and peerless vocals that were rooted in the black church but made palatable to the masses with a pop sheen.

Her success carried her beyond music to movies, where she starred in hits like “The Bodyguard” and “Waiting to Exhale.”

She had the he perfect voice, and the perfect image: a gorgeous singer who had sex appeal but was never overtly sexual, who maintained perfect poise.

She influenced a generation of younger singers, from Christina Aguilera to Mariah Carey, who when she first came out sounded so much like Houston that many thought it was Houston.

But by the end of her career, Houston became a stunning cautionary tale of the toll of drug use. Her album sales plummeted and the hits stopped coming; her once serene image was shattered by a wild demeanor and bizarre public appearances. She confessed to abusing cocaine, marijuana and pills, and her once pristine voice became raspy and hoarse, unable to hit the high notes as she had during her prime.

“The biggest devil is me. I’m either my best friend or my worst enemy,” Houston told ABC’s Diane Sawyer in an infamous 2002 interview with then-husband Brown by her side.

It was a tragic fall for a superstar who was one of the top-selling artists in pop music history, with more than 55 million records sold in the United States alone.

She seemed to be born into greatness. She was the daughter of gospel singer Cissy Houston, the cousin of 1960s pop diva Dionne Warwick and the goddaughter of Aretha Franklin.

Houston first started singing in the church as a child. In her teens, she sang backup for Chaka Khan, Jermaine Jackson and others, in addition to modeling. It was around that time when music mogul Clive Davis first heard Houston perform.

“The time that I first saw her singing in her mother’s act in a club … it was such a stunning impact,” Davis told “Good Morning America.”

“To hear this young girl breathe such fire into this song. I mean, it really sent the proverbial tingles up my spine,” he added.

Before long, the rest of the country would feel it, too. Houston made her album debut in 1985 with “Whitney Houston,” which sold millions and spawned hit after hit. “Saving All My Love for You” brought her her first Grammy, for best female pop vocal. “How Will I Know,” ”You Give Good Love“ and ”The Greatest Love of All“ also became hit singles.

Another multiplatinum album, ”Whitney,“ came out in 1987 and included hits like ”Where Do Broken Hearts Go“ and ”I Wanna Dance With Somebody.“

The New York Times wrote that Houston ”possesses one of her generation’s most powerful gospel-trained voices, but she eschews many of the churchier mannerisms of her forerunners. She uses ornamental gospel phrasing only sparingly, and instead of projecting an earthy, tearful vulnerability, communicates cool self-assurance and strength, building pop ballads to majestic, sustained peaks of intensity.“

Her decision not to follow the more soulful inflections of singers like Franklin drew criticism by some who saw her as playing down her black roots to go pop and reach white audiences. The criticism would become a constant refrain through much of her career. She was even booed during the ”Soul Train Awards“ in 1989.

”Sometimes it gets down to that, you know?“ she told Katie Couric in 1996. ”You’re not black enough for them. I don’t know. You’re not R&B enough. You’re very pop. The white audience has taken you away from them.“

Some saw her 1992 marriage to former New Edition member and soul crooner Bobby Brown as an attempt to refute those critics. It seemed to be an odd union; she was seen as pop’s pure princess while he had a bad-boy image, and already had children of his own. (The couple had a daughter, Bobbi Kristina, in 1993.) Over the years, he would be arrested several times, on charges ranging from DUI to failure to pay child support.

But Houston said their true personalities were not as far apart as people may have believed.

”When you love, you love. I mean, do you stop loving somebody because you have different images? You know, Bobby and I basically come from the same place,“ she told Rolling Stone in 1993. ”You see somebody, and you deal with their image, that’s their image. It’s part of them, it’s not the whole picture. I am not always in a sequined gown. I am nobody’s angel. I can get down and dirty. I can get raunchy.“

It would take several years, however, for the public to see that side of Houston. Her moving 1991 rendition of ”The Star Spangled Banner“ at the Super Bowl, amid the first Gulf War, set a new standard and once again reaffirmed her as America’s sweetheart.

In 1992, she became a star in the acting world with ”The Bodyguard.“ Despite mixed reviews, the story of a singer (Houston) guarded by a former Secret Service agent (Kevin Costner) was an international success.

It also gave her perhaps her most memorable hit: a searing, stunning rendition of Dolly Parton’s ”I Will Always Love You,“ which sat atop the charts for weeks. It was Grammy’s record of the year and best female pop vocal, and the ”Bodyguard“ soundtrack was named album of the year.

She returned to the big screen in 1995-96 with ”Waiting to Exhale“ and ”The Preacher’s Wife.“ Both spawned soundtrack albums, and another hit studio album, ”My Love Is Your Love,“ in 1998, brought her a Grammy for best female R&B vocal for the cut ”It’s Not Right But It’s Okay.“

But during these career and personal highs, Houston was using drugs. In an interview with Oprah Winfrey in 2010, she said by the time ”The Preacher’s Wife“ was released, ”(doing drugs) was an everyday thing. … I would do my work, but after I did my work, for a whole year or two, it was every day. … I wasn’t happy by that point in time. I was losing myself.“

In the interview, Houston blamed her rocky marriage to Brown, which included a charge of domestic abuse against Brown in 1993. They divorced in 2007.

Houston would go to rehab twice before she would declare herself drug-free to Winfrey in 2010. But in the interim, there were missed concert dates, a stop at an airport due to drugs, and public meltdowns.

She was so startlingly thin during a 2001 Michael Jackson tribute concert that rumors spread she had died the next day. Her crude behavior and jittery appearance on Brown’s reality show, ”Being Bobby Brown,“ was an example of her sad decline. Her Sawyer interview, where she declared ”crack is whack,“ was often parodied. She dropped out of the spotlight for a few years.

Houston staged what seemed to be a successful comeback with the 2009 album ”I Look To You.“ The album debuted on the top of the charts, and would eventually go platinum.

Things soon fell apart. A concert to promote the album on ”Good Morning America“ went awry as Houston’s voice sounded ragged and off-key. She blamed an interview with Winfrey for straining her voice.

A world tour launched overseas, however, only confirmed suspicions that Houston had lost her treasured gift, as she failed to hit notes and left many fans unimpressed; some walked out. Canceled concert dates raised speculation that she may have been abusing drugs, but she denied those claims and said she was in great shape, blaming illness for cancellations.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120...eakingnews

02-11-2012 08:28 PM
Billy_Bearcat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Donators
Unfortunately this is no real surprise.

02-11-2012 09:04 PM
Murph29 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: humble people
Saw this coming only question was would it be her or bobby brown first.

02-11-2012 09:10 PM
BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

I Root For: Who's playin uk
Let the turning her into a saint begin. She was a crack head who could sing. Nothing more.

02-11-2012 09:47 PM
BearChatter v2.0 Offline
Rounding Third and headed...
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Da Bearcats!
(02-11-2012 09:47 PM)BeerCat Wrote:  Let the turning her into a saint begin. She was a crack head who could sing. Nothing more.

I don't completely agree.

She was a very talented girl that for all we know never hit drugs hard until she hooked up with Bobby Brown. Unfortunately, she was easily influenced, and not strong enough to walk away from Brown or the drugs. I guess she got rid of Bobby, but not what he taught her.

First she lost her self respect. Then she lost her talent. And now she has lost her life.

I agree that I'm not surprised. I was not a huge fan or anything. But some pop ballads just are made great by a great singer, and for a period of time, she was a great singer.

Whitney Houston was my generation's diva, followed by Mariah Carey to Christina Aguilera. Not always my style, but on some songs, I can appreciate their special gifts.

It is a sad story of someone being influenced in the wrong way and eventually losing it all. But we've heard this story many times before.

02-11-2012 10:08 PM
Advertisement

BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

The media will turn it into a sob story when in reality she did what happens when you make horrible decisions, she paid the consequences. This will be the same kind of thing that happened with Michael Jackson. That POS went from at the worst child molester, at best huge creepy weirdo, to the greatest thing that ever happened to music in the history of human civilization.

02-11-2012 10:26 PM
BearChatter v2.0 Offline
Jersey Retired

(02-11-2012 10:26 PM)BeerCat Wrote:  The media will turn it into a sob story when in reality she did what happens when you make horrible decisions, she paid the consequences. This will be the same kind of thing that happened with Michael Jackson. That POS went from at the worst child molester, at best huge creepy weirdo, to the greatest thing that ever happened to music in the history of human civilization.

I think there's a difference between their personal lives and their musical contributions. Many musicians, actors, celebrities have lived troubled lives, while still making major contributions with their talent to the industry they are in.

It's simply separating their musical contributions from their screwed up lives. We can name a long list of great musicians who were tragically messed up.

02-11-2012 10:32 PM
BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

(02-11-2012 10:32 PM)BearChatter v2.0 Wrote:  
(02-11-2012 10:26 PM)BeerCat Wrote:  The media will turn it into a sob story when in reality she did what happens when you make horrible decisions, she paid the consequences. This will be the same kind of thing that happened with Michael Jackson. That POS went from at the worst child molester, at best huge creepy weirdo, to the greatest thing that ever happened to music in the history of human civilization.

I think there's a difference between their personal lives and their musical contributions. Many musicians, actors, celebrities have lived troubled lives, while still making major contributions with their talent to the industry they are in.

It's simply separating their musical contributions from their screwed up lives. We can name a long list of great musicians who were tragically messed up.

True, true Chatter. I don't separate them though. I have a hard time rooting for people that I know are worthless in their everyday life. Needless to say being a Bengals fan is not easy. But it is also the Reason I really enjoy seeing someone like Joe Votto succeed, because he seems to actually be a decent person off the field.

02-11-2012 10:36 PM
BearChatter v2.0 Offline
Jersey Retired

She was older than the following clip of deceased young celebrities, but you get my drift.

02-12-2012 09:08 AM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user
(02-11-2012 10:08 PM)BearChatter v2.0 Wrote:  
(02-11-2012 09:47 PM)BeerCat Wrote:  Let the turning her into a saint begin. She was a crack head who could sing. Nothing more.

I don't completely agree.

She was a very talented girl that for all we know never hit drugs hard until she hooked up with Bobby Brown. Unfortunately, she was easily influenced, and not strong enough to walk away from Brown or the drugs. I guess she got rid of Bobby, but not what he taught her.

First she lost her self respect. Then she lost her talent. And now she has lost her life.

I agree that I'm not surprised. I was not a huge fan or anything. But some pop ballads just are made great by a great singer, and for a period of time, she was a great singer.

Whitney Houston was my generation's diva, followed by Mariah Carey to Christina Aguilera. Not always my style, but on some songs, I can appreciate their special gifts.

It is a sad story of someone being influenced in the wrong way and eventually losing it all. But we've heard this story many times before.

sounds like you knew her pretty well. i'm just glad that i'll have something to read when i'm checking out at the grocery store.

02-12-2012 09:29 AM
Advertisement

beck Offline
All American

I Root For:
How do you get appointed to decide which people are worthless?

02-12-2012 12:43 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
(02-12-2012 12:43 PM)beck Wrote:  How do you get appointed to decide which people are worthless?

Outstanding Beck 04-bow I get tired of some people's judgemental attitudes.

Regardless of which side of the fence you're on here, one thing is for certain: she was a top-notch talent. Too bad.

02-12-2012 01:20 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
Tragic, I say!

Whaddeva. Throw your life away, I have little compassion.

She was a great singer and an ok actress That's it. Just another junkie cliche who had it all and pissed it away. Millions of people nobody has ever heard of will pass away and they are all a much greater loss to society. I'll save my compassion for them, thanks very much.

02-12-2012 01:41 PM
subflea Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Free Thinking

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs
Some crack dealer is really worried about how he is going to make it through the next year after losing so much of his profits. Poor guy.

02-12-2012 01:49 PM
Bearcat04 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The CATS
This would not have happened if Kevin Costner was still her bodyguard.

02-12-2012 02:01 PM
Advertisement

Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
(02-12-2012 01:41 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Tragic, I say!

She was a great singer and an ok actress That's it. Just another junkie cliche who had it all and pissed it away. Millions of people nobody has ever heard of will pass away and they are all a much greater loss to society. I'll save my compassion for them, thanks very much.

I guess I can't argue with that.

02-12-2012 02:40 PM
BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

(02-12-2012 01:41 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Tragic, I say!

Nice.

02-12-2012 02:49 PM
SeniorBearcat Offline
I can eat fifty eggs

I Root For: Binturongs

Donators

02-12-2012 05:03 PM
b Away
Greatest of All Time

I Root For: YO MOMMA!!

Donators
I know people and have family members who have fought, still fighting, or loss the battle to their demons. I'm really happy none of you do.

Drug abuse is a sickness and it doesn't make them a bad person. Pretty sure I can say without fear of contradiction that whitney has done more for others then you folks who are attacking her combined. You'd think she'd blew up a daycare center the way some of you are talking.

I remember watching Nixon's funeral on tv. at the time the only thing i knew about him was watergate and everyone makes jokes about him. During the service they only spoke of the good things, that's the way it should be. What's lower then kicking a dead person?

Hop off your high horse for 5 minutes and think about all the people you like, be it an actor, musician, or athlete and i'll bet some of them are using drugs or have broken a law or two.

You don't have to shed a tear or anything but to some she was a mother, a daughter, a friend. People who didn't need the tabloids to form their opinion of her. She'll have more people at her funeral then you'll have at yours. So I'll wish her family peace and be grateful i have another day on this earth. I'm getting to an age when people around my age and some people who are younger then me are dying.
It's kinda scary.

02-12-2012 05:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.