Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CUSA Not Losing that Much in the Big Picture
Bookmark and Share
KittyHawkPirate Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: ECU
CUSA Not Losing that Much in the Big Picture
I was curious to see what CUSA was losing when the 4 team left for the Big Least so I pulled the records of the teams for the last 6 years. I do have to admit Houston has had a good run over that time period that I didn’t realize. UCF was slightly better than a .500 team while SMU and Memphis were horrible.

How hard can it be to find 4 teams that can average less than .500 ball over a 6 year span? If you take Houston out of the equation then you would think it would become a lot simpler to find 3 other teams that could have a combined record of 93-134. For those that think the sky is falling if you simply look at the numbers it’s not that bad.

Team Record Comments
Houston 54-26 Going to be tough to immediately replace with a quality program

UCF 42-35 FIU beat them this year and we’re back in Florida.

SMU 31-45 Any FBS can match their record and better them in attendance

Memphis 20-54 Extremely easy to replace for football even using an all woman’s college

Totals 147-160
02-11-2012 01:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bambu Offline
Starving Artist

I Root For: Memphis
RE: CUSA Not Losing that Much in the Big Picture
(02-11-2012 01:27 AM)KittyHawkPirate Wrote:  I was curious to see what CUSA was losing when the 4 team left for the Big Least so I pulled the records of the teams for the last 6 years. I do have to admit Houston has had a good run over that time period that I didn’t realize. UCF was slightly better than a .500 team while SMU and Memphis were horrible.

How hard can it be to find 4 teams that can average less than .500 ball over a 6 year span? If you take Houston out of the equation then you would think it would become a lot simpler to find 3 other teams that could have a combined record of 93-134. For those that think the sky is falling if you simply look at the numbers it’s not that bad.

Team Record Comments
Houston 54-26 Going to be tough to immediately replace with a quality program

UCF 42-35 FIU beat them this year and we’re back in Florida.

SMU 31-45 Any FBS can match their record and better them in attendance

Memphis 20-54 Extremely easy to replace for football even using an all woman’s college

Totals 147-160

I have no idea what is shared by the football programs, but I would bet my ass it's not a third of the dough you've made from our NCAA runs.

Replace a National Championship appearance in the last decade?

Good luck ladies.
02-11-2012 01:38 AM
transitt Offline
The William Hung of Memphis music

I Root For: A fresh start
That plus the fact that football is cyclic. Anyone who thinks Memphis will stay horrible is mistaken
02-11-2012 01:45 AM
Big Dub Offline
C-USA Troll?

I Root For: Southern Miss
(02-11-2012 01:45 AM)transitt Wrote:  That plus the fact that football is cyclic. Anyone who thinks Memphis will stay horrible is mistaken

And so begins the meteoric rise to mediocrity!!!!
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2012 01:52 AM by Big Dub.)
02-11-2012 01:47 AM
TIGERBANDIT Offline
Banned

I Root For:
OK, I call foul on my fellow Memphis posters.

I can absolutely understand where you are coming from.

From a pure football stand point, I think you make a good case that C-USA really isn't missing that much.
02-11-2012 01:59 AM
Advertisement

UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
CUSA and the MWC will merge and the anger should start to go away...it's going to be a good conference.
02-11-2012 02:39 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
transitt Offline

(02-11-2012 01:47 AM)Big Dub Wrote:  
(02-11-2012 01:45 AM)transitt Wrote:  That plus the fact that football is cyclic. Anyone who thinks Memphis will stay horrible is mistaken

Check your record against that mediocre program over the last decade? At least Memphis never rushed the field for beating USM.

Should have expected this...I think Memphis fans have been incredibly gracious about the Big East invite for the most part. The slams against the departing schools have been largely uncalled for. ANY school in CUSA would take an invite to the Big East if offered. It's the way the NCAA works right now. It's unfortunate, but is what it is.
02-11-2012 02:50 AM
RUNVSFD MINER Offline
The voice in your head...See?

I Root For: UTEP
What I feel we will miss is the competition with familiar schools (at least schools we were becoming familiar with).

Recent Examples:
-UTEP/Memphis bball games for the last few years were anyone's guess as to who would come out on top.

-UTEP/Houston fball at the Sun Bowl was always interesting.

-UTEP/SMU had more UTEP fans in the stadium (regardless which hosted)

-UTEP/UCF had Rompza, which gave me much needed laughs
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2012 02:53 AM by RUNVSFD MINER.)
02-11-2012 02:51 AM
MinerTime Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UTEP
I'm going to miss Memphis the most, I just wished we played them more but the games we did play recently have been a lot of fun.
02-11-2012 03:09 AM
Advertisement

Big Dub Offline
C-USA Troll?

(02-11-2012 02:50 AM)transitt Wrote:  

Check your record against that mediocre program over the last decade? At least Memphis never rushed the field for beating USM.

Should have expected this...I think Memphis fans have been incredibly gracious about the Big East invite for the most part. The slams against the departing schools have been largely uncalled for. ANY school in CUSA would take an invite to the Big East if offered. It's the way the NCAA works right now. It's unfortunate, but is what it is.

Why just the last decade? That's right because if you look at it from that perspective it helps conceal the massive nose-dive Memphis football has taken in recent years. Hey, don't blame me, it's out there for anyone to see.

So Memphis is going to get better in football how exactly? Look, I concede that the possibility is definitely there, but how does that work for the Tigers when they're supposedly getting into a more difficult league? Everybody is going to "improve", Memphis football won't exist in a vacuum.

Finally, spare me the "gracious Memphis fan" rhetoric. There have been a-word-holes on both sides, and Memphis has their fair share too. I was referring to your "horribly mistaken" comment. How can anyone be "horribly mistaken" given Memphis' body of work? In a way you're right I guess though, football has nowhere to go but up.
02-11-2012 03:22 AM
Bambu Offline
Starving Artist

I Root For: Memphis
Kiss my AQ ass. 05-stirthepot
02-11-2012 04:05 AM
tigerjohn Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(02-11-2012 03:22 AM)Big Dub Wrote:  

Why just the last decade? That's right because if you look at it from that perspective it helps conceal the massive nose-dive Memphis football has taken in recent years. Hey, don't blame me, it's out there for anyone to see.

So Memphis is going to get better in football how exactly? Look, I concede that the possibility is definitely there, but how does that work for the Tigers when they're supposedly getting into a more difficult league? Everybody is going to "improve", Memphis football won't exist in a vacuum.
Aw look at the southern miss fan he got his little feelings hurt cause he got left out of the big boys table. 03-hissyfit03-hissyfit03-hissyfit03-hissyfit

on bmistaken" comment. How can anyone be "horribly mistaken" given Memphis' body of work? In a way you're right I guess though, football has nowhere to go but up.
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2012 04:48 AM by tigerjohn.)
02-11-2012 04:28 AM
Big Dub Offline
C-USA Troll?

(02-11-2012 04:28 AM)tigerjohn Wrote:  

Finally, spare me the "gracious Memphis fan" rhetoric. There have been a-word-hole

Aw look at the southern miss fan he got his little feelings hurt cause he got left out of the big boys table. 03-hissyfit03-hissyfit03-hissyfit03-hissyfit

Uh oh, seems I've touched a nerve. You're not being very "gracious". 05-nono

Don't be angry with me, I didn't submarine your program.
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2012 04:44 AM by Big Dub.)
02-11-2012 04:42 AM
Advertisement

tigerjohn Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
No nerve here. You just seem like all your post are sour grapes.
02-11-2012 04:52 AM
Big Dub Offline
C-USA Troll?

(02-11-2012 04:52 AM)tigerjohn Wrote:  No nerve here. You just seem like all your post are sour grapes.

In this thread? Yeah, I definitely see it. Overall, not a chance.
02-11-2012 05:01 AM
KittyHawkPirate Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: ECU
If you look at the W's & L's you have to admit that the teams leaving, with the exception of Houston, should be very easy to replace. I truly don't see why some people are panicking. We lose 2 very mad football teams with attendence problems and 1 mediocre team. That’s a fact. Finding two team that can go 51-99 over a 6 year period shouldn’t be very hard. For example, Temple is on par with UCF, if not better. You then add 2 more SunBelt , MAC or FCS teams (ex. ODU, GA State, UNC-Charlotte, etc) and you have a stronger football conference than we have now. Houston with be much harder to replace. Personally, I would rather keep CUSA and reload, but would be happy with the Alliance too.
02-11-2012 09:03 AM
transitt Offline

Finally, spare me the "gracious Memphis fan" rhetoric. There have been a-word-holes on both sides, and Memphis has their fair share too. I was referring to your "horribly mistaken" comment. How can anyone be "horribly mistaken" given Memphis' body of work? In a way you're right I guess though, football has nowhere to go but up.

How are they going to get better? Simple, they are, for the first time really since the mid 70s, putting real money into football facilities. They are also giving the new staff a large enough salary where we won't be losing assistants every season.

Ok, if you want to go back further you'd see the 90s....and victories vs Southern Cal, 3 wins vs Arkansas, multiple victories over Mississippi and Mississippi St, Missouri, Tennessee, Vandy, etc.

The 80s were pretty rough due to the death of our football coach and some top players in 83 (Rex Dockery) but still managed wins vs Alabama and @ Florida.

60s and 70s? Memphis averaged 7 wins per season from 1960 to 1977.

We'll be fine now that football and hoops are getting the same amount of attention.
02-12-2012 07:54 PM
IceJus10 Offline
All American

I Root For: Sports
I think the loss for CUSA comes from the influence of advertisers and television not so much the overall product or quality of the competition... though Memphis basketball and Houston football has been pretty good as of late. That said, just stick around long enough for Charlotte to join in a few years! My school to be will need a home soon and by then it'll be a 30,000 student campus with a basketball legacy and a new football stadium in the middle of NC's largest city and metro area.
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2012 02:58 AM by IceJus10.)
02-13-2012 02:53 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.