UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

BOT Meeting Projector Screen
the Dragon Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
BOT Meeting Projector Screen
Several of us noticed and complained that the main screen in the meeting said in large letters: The Board Of Trustees of the University of Alabama.

What a slap in the face!

That's like some parents having a son named Peter. They love the son and proudly call themselves the parents of Peter. then, later they have 2 more kids, Paul and Mary, and they continue to only refer to themselves as parents of Peter. How would Paul and Mary feel?

They would grow to hate their parents and resent their older brother.
02-03-2012 03:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

hooverblazer Online
Promoter of UAB

RE: BOT Meeting Projector Screen
I didn't like that either.
02-03-2012 04:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
KevMo4UAB Offline
#FreeUAB

They just don't get it, and I don't think they will ever understand.
02-03-2012 04:39 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I don't see the proble. For once, they were truthful and honest.
02-03-2012 04:44 PM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

That is the legal name of the board
02-03-2012 05:03 PM
BlazerGrad88 Offline
All American

(02-03-2012 05:03 PM)mixduptransistor Wrote:  That is the legal name of the board

Incredibly, that's true. I had assumed it was something like "The Board of Trustees of the University of Alabama System," but nay. Read the sentence at the bottom of page 1:

http://www.uasystem.ua.edu/UAS%20Mission...tement.pdf

Geez.
02-03-2012 06:37 PM
Advertisement

the_blazerman Offline
Legend

Then the first thing that needs to be done is get it legally changed.
02-03-2012 06:38 PM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-03-2012 06:38 PM)the_blazerman Wrote:  Then the first thing that needs to be done is get it legally changed.

That will (not sh!tting you) require a constitutional amendment
02-03-2012 07:03 PM
blazr Away
Hall of Famer

There's no problem with that. What you guys might not realize is the Tuscaloosa campus is the "University of Alabama - Tuscaloosa" to SACS and the NCAA. Go back and read the documents from the last two times UAT has been put on probation: "University of Alabama - Tuscaloosa." So the name of the Board is right...it's just that public "lingo" for the Tuscaloosa campus is misleading. Not much you can do about that.
02-03-2012 07:19 PM
the Dragon Offline
Heisman

(02-03-2012 07:19 PM)blazr Wrote:  There's no problem with that. What you guys might not realize is the Tuscaloosa campus is the "University of Alabama - Tuscaloosa" to SACS and the NCAA. Go back and read the documents from the last two times UAT has been put on probation: "University of Alabama - Tuscaloosa." So the name of the Board is right...it's just that public "lingo" for the Tuscaloosa campus is misleading. Not much you can do about that.

The name of the board should have been changed in 1969. However, since it wasn't, then we are justified in referring to them as UAT!

It's a horribly flawed system and attitude that we're dealing with.
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2012 08:05 PM by the Dragon.)
02-03-2012 08:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, N'Western
One of our fellow Blazertalkers best described them as "a millionaire boys club" that runs with near-rampant impunity. I'm inclined to agree. Something needs to be done about them.
02-04-2012 09:10 AM
Advertisement

blazr Away
Hall of Famer

We are justified in referring to them as UAT. The only people who object to that are Bammars who could care less what the BOT does until it's time to hire an AD or fire a university president for sticking his nose into football. But the idea that having "University of Alabama Board of Trustees" on a projector was provocative is incorrect.
02-04-2012 09:56 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
Ok everyone relax. We all get it or got it about the names. We were using that as another jab walking around saying in a voice that could be heard "shouldn't that say system"?

I suppose if UA went by UAT no one would have a philosophical issue with the screen. Technically it was correct. We all knew-know that. We were making a point. Jesus people are so critical.

I want as much effort into folks pointing out little details about everything we attempt to do to be placed into assisting with our efforts.
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2012 11:15 AM by ATTALLABLAZE.)
02-04-2012 11:13 AM
Dragoness Offline
Water Engineer

All, at the BOT meeting I had the pleasure (for real, a pleasure) to meet Mr. Ferniarny, the head of the UAB Health System. I happenned to mention the message on the projector and how I also thought it should read 'University of Alabama System'. He said he and all of us would have to take part of the responsibility for that because it would be our own doing... UAB was responsible for putting those slides together, not the BOT. Mr Ferniarny was genuinely interested, and seemed very supportive, and I enjoyed meeting him.
02-04-2012 11:27 AM
BlazrDawg Offline
Heisman

Folks, I think we are getting too chippy about some of this stuff, which belittles the real focus of what our attention and energies should be directed against. Sorry Grammar N for the prepositional faux pas, or whatever it is when one ends a sentence with of, against, etc, . :)
02-04-2012 02:24 PM
Marathon Blazer Online
Heisman

Been meaning to show something else that was on the BOT Projector screen (this was during Garrison's speech):

[Image: 6834248173_0e8a124717_m.jpg]
02-07-2012 01:35 AM
Advertisement

the Dragon Offline
Heisman

(02-04-2012 09:56 AM)blazr Wrote:  But the idea that having "University of Alabama Board of Trustees" on a projector was provocative is incorrect.

Sorry, I disagree. It's provocative (because many of us are "provoked" by it). It's not a major issue, but it underlines the major issue.

Again, the board's name should have been changed in 1969, but I guess they thought they could always keep UAB and UAH under their thumb. Slowly, we'll break the grip they have.
02-07-2012 09:28 AM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

Speaking of meeting, does anyone have Watts' speech online anywhere?
02-07-2012 09:29 AM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

I've been begging for the raw video from Mitchell and I'm willing to help him cut it up and host it but it's been a deafening silence. His report on BlazerTV didn't include any audio from the meeting at all.
02-07-2012 10:34 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
We must now haze him.
02-07-2012 01:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.