Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Could DeChellis come back?
Bookmark and Share
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I Root For: Justice
Could DeChellis come back?
Scenario- ETSU continues to be mediocre the rest of the way. With no raise coming Bartow takes a job as an assistant somewhere, goes to Samford, gets out of the business to raise sheep, whatever.

Realizing the problems of the ETSU athletic department, President Dr. Brian Noland calls Mullins into his office and tells him its time to retire.

ETSU now needs an AD and a basketball coach. They can do a massive search, but what that will probably lead to are a couple of new hires who will view ETSU as a stepping stone and leave after a couple of years.

Realizing he can kill two birds with one stone, Noland sees DeChellis struggling in his first year at Navy.

A phone call to Annapolis is made.

"Hey, Ed. Brian Noland here, new President at ETSU. Ed, I'll get right to the point. Your friend Mullins is retiring and we need a new AD. We also need a new basketball coach since Murry Bartow just left here to become the curator of the Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield.

"Know you're struggling there at Navy, but you've got a nice track record as a coach both in on the court and off. You also come from Penn State, which is known for fundraising.

"So would you be interested in becoming ETSU's next AD/basketball coach? You'd have far more stability here than at Navy, be close to your daughter who is working in our department in an entry level capacity, and could oversee things like a new arena development, move to another conference, and possible football reinstatement. What do you say?"

My guess is he'd be very interested.

Now, a lot has got to happen here. For one thing, ETSU would almost have to combine the salaries of the AD and basketball coach and would still come six figures short of what DeChellis is making now at Navy. You'd almost need a wealthy booster who was a friend of DeChellis back in the day to come in and pledge a certain amount of money every year to make this happen, and that would be a lot of leverage for a booster to have.

And the fact of the matter is Bartow and Mullins could still be around next fall.

But why not? And besides, there is that story floating around that DeChellis was the first choice of ETSU to take over as AD after Stansbury left, but he had his sights set on Penn State.

But since Penn State isn't going to be home for him for the rest of his professional career (one would think), why not his second home?
01-29-2012 08:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BucNut22 Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU, MICH, UC
RE: Could DeChellis come back?
I would never want my AD and coach to be the same person, especially with the shape ETSU is in. Divided attention would not be good for basketball nor running the athletic department. Digging both out of holes will take complete attention.

Would take him back as HC in a nano second however.
01-29-2012 09:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

Don't think he would come back for what ETSU would pay him without the AD job.

I hear what you're saying about wanting to split up the AD and coach's job. For all the good reputation Les Robinson had, didn't he let Mike Ayers go to D-II Wofford and hire Don Riley (DON RILEY!) as his replacement? That might have been the beginning of the end for football right there.

But if a new arena is to be on the horizon, wouldn't an experienced and successful coach like DeChellis be an asset getting funds raised for it? Wouldn't he be wise to delegate authority, thus giving his coaches more control and possibly keeping them on board? Don't you think he'd like to be there for his daughter as her own athletic administrative career grows?

And you know what? I really doubt Ed DeChellis would ever have hired Don Riley.
01-29-2012 09:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
abuc90 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ETSU
(01-29-2012 09:00 PM)BucNut22 Wrote:  I would never want my AD and coach to be the same person, especially with the shape ETSU is in. Divided attention would not be good for basketball nor running the athletic department. Digging both out of holes will take complete attention.

Agree 100%, but ETSU is a step down for him. He ain't comin back now. Go ahead slappy, say it....
01-29-2012 09:24 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

Would it be if you put the AD title on the job?

You'd give him security and the money.

Another thing. With Navy joining the Big East for football only, it would seem to me this is the second school he's been to that is football-first.

ETSU is basketball first (unless you claim it to be golf first). I know where you're going when you say it is a step down, but is it under that circumstance?
01-29-2012 09:28 PM
abuc90 Offline
Special Teams

(01-29-2012 09:28 PM)PittsburghBucs Wrote:  Would it be if you put the AD title on the job?

You'd give him security and the money.

Another thing. With Navy joining the Big East for football only, it would seem to me this is the second school he's been to that is football-first.

ETSU is basketball first (unless you claim it to be golf first). I know where you're going when you say it is a step down, but is it under that circumstance?

I like DeChellis a lot, but I just don't see how you go from 2 schools that are household names back to ETSU. And this isn't even the ETSU that he left in the first place.
01-29-2012 09:37 PM
Advertisement

BucNut22 Offline
All American

(01-29-2012 09:23 PM)PittsburghBucs Wrote:  Don't think he would come back for what ETSU would pay him without the AD job.

I hear what you're saying about wanting to split up the AD and coach's job. For all the good reputation Les Robinson had, didn't he let Mike Ayers go to D-II Wofford and hire Don Riley (DON RILEY!) as his replacement? That might have been the beginning of the end for football right there.

But if a new arena is to be on the horizon, wouldn't an experienced and successful coach like DeChellis be an asset getting funds raised for it? Wouldn't he be wise to delegate authority, thus giving his coaches more control and possibly keeping them on board? Don't you think he'd like to be there for his daughter as her own athletic administrative career grows?

And you know what? I really doubt Ed DeChellis would ever have hired Don Riley.
I think an experience and successful AD and fund raiser would be an asset for that. As well as someone who doesn't have recruiting, player discipline, coaching clinics, etc on his mind.

The days of the coach/AD are over at the highest levels of athletics. Division 1 AD is an administrative position not a coaching position.

p.s I know he won't come back just as HC. I considered it a pipe dream to begin with.
01-29-2012 09:40 PM
slappywhite Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: etsu
(01-29-2012 09:24 PM)abuc90 Wrote:  
(01-29-2012 09:00 PM)BucNut22 Wrote:  I would never want my AD and coach to be the same person, especially with the shape ETSU is in. Divided attention would not be good for basketball nor running the athletic department. Digging both out of holes will take complete attention.

Agree 100%, but ETSU is a step down for him. He ain't comin back now. Go ahead slappy, say it....

im not a big fan of ed, so im not the one to ask if he would come back...with that said...easy boys...ed dechellis is not walking through that door...
01-29-2012 09:50 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

Okay, but who then comes to ETSU with that kind of experience? You're hypothetically talking about someone who was an assistant administrator somewhere, so he wouldn't be the lead man, or maybe someone coming from a smaller college, and frankly I don't know if I want that mindset developing Mister Jennings Arena.

I mean, I remember when UNLV AD Jim Weaver was a finalist for the job in 1994 and I desperately wanted him to get the position because I felt that UNLV had once been in the place that ETSU was then. He later took himself out of the running, wound up getting the job at Virginia Tech, and look at what they've become.

ETSU didn't do too bad in my opinion there- Keener Fry. But the point here is even when ETSU had the chance to get an experienced AD with vision and success, they didn't.

I'm just saying- if this was to happen DeChellis would obviously be better received than when he got the job years ago. I think he'd be much more successful on the rubber chicken circuit and raising money than just about anyone else you could possibly consider to come in.

And as a coach, a young up-and-comer could deliver a really good team, but that coach would soon be gone and so would that era of victory with it. DeChellis, if my scenario were to come to fruition (a big if) would not be leaving, and so therefore could take the program to a higher level and keep it there.
01-29-2012 09:52 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

(01-29-2012 09:50 PM)slappywhite Wrote:  

im not a big fan of ed, so im not the one to ask if he would come back...with that said...easy boys...ed dechellis is not walking through that door...

Yeah. I'm sure your two beloved high school coaches could do better.
01-29-2012 09:52 PM
abuc90 Offline
Special Teams

A quick search tells me Ed is making 450,000 at Navy. So there endeth that discussion.
01-29-2012 09:55 PM
Advertisement

slappywhite Offline
Special Teams

(01-29-2012 09:52 PM)PittsburghBucs Wrote:  

yes, both would
01-29-2012 09:55 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

Touched on that above. As I said, you'd have to combine Mullins and Bartow's salaries and then come up with an additional $100,000-$200,000.

Then again, if you would fire Fred Warren and could get out of that contract . . . .
01-29-2012 09:57 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

(01-29-2012 09:55 PM)slappywhite Wrote:  

yes, both would

Small minds are alive and well in Johnson City!!!!!
01-29-2012 09:58 PM
abuc90 Offline
Special Teams

(01-29-2012 09:57 PM)PittsburghBucs Wrote:  Touched on that above. As I said, you'd have to combine Mullins and Bartow's salaries and then come up with an additional $100,000-$200,000.

Then again, if you would fire Fred Warren and could get out of that contract . . . .

Ok the discussion continues I guess. If you combined the 2 salaries and threw in the other 200k...1) Is THAT even enough? and 2) Do you honestly believe Warren is fireable?
01-29-2012 10:11 PM
slappywhite Offline
Special Teams

(01-29-2012 09:58 PM)PittsburghBucs Wrote:  
(01-29-2012 09:55 PM)slappywhite Wrote:  
(01-29-2012 09:24 PM)abuc90 Wrote:  Agree 100%, but ETSU is a step down for him. He ain't comin back now. Go ahead slappy, say it....

yes, both would

Small minds are alive and well in Johnson City!!!!!

alive and doing very well...thanks pitt
01-29-2012 10:24 PM
Advertisement

BucNut22 Offline
All American

(01-29-2012 09:52 PM)PittsburghBucs Wrote:  Okay, but who then comes to ETSU with that kind of experience? You're hypothetically talking about someone who was an assistant administrator somewhere, so he wouldn't be the lead man, or maybe someone coming from a smaller college, and frankly I don't know if I want that mindset developing Mister Jennings Arena.

I mean, I remember when UNLV AD Jim Weaver was a finalist for the job in 1994 and I desperately wanted him to get the position because I felt that UNLV had once been in the place that ETSU was then. He later took himself out of the running, wound up getting the job at Virginia Tech, and look at what they've become.

ETSU didn't do too bad in my opinion there- Keener Fry. But the point here is even when ETSU had the chance to get an experienced AD with vision and success, they didn't.

I'm just saying- if this was to happen DeChellis would obviously be better received than when he got the job years ago. I think he'd be much more successful on the rubber chicken circuit and raising money than just about anyone else you could possibly consider to come in.

And as a coach, a young up-and-comer could deliver a really good team, but that coach would soon be gone and so would that era of victory with it. DeChellis, if my scenario were to come to fruition (a big if) would not be leaving, and so therefore could take the program to a higher level and keep it there.
It probably will be an associate AD from somewhere else, maybe a former AD. Doesn't necessarily make that person inexperienced overall, just at holding the big chair.

I`ll gladly take two, young and hungry executives running the show. I could see Noland mixing his vision with a more experienced i.e older candidate as well though.
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2012 10:35 PM by BucNut22.)
01-29-2012 10:35 PM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Pretty sure Bartow makes over 200k and I would assume Mullins being AD would make more then him so combined I would think they make more then the 450,000 DeChellis is making.

http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/spo.../index.htm
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2012 10:38 PM by RodShaw2.)
01-29-2012 10:37 PM
abuc90 Offline
Special Teams

(01-29-2012 10:37 PM)RodShaw2 Wrote:  Pretty sure Bartow makes over 200k and I would assume Mullins being AD would make more then him so combined I would think they make more then the 450,000 DeChellis is making.

I could be wrong, but I thought Mullins actually made less than Bartow.
01-29-2012 10:54 PM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(01-29-2012 10:54 PM)abuc90 Wrote:  
(01-29-2012 10:37 PM)RodShaw2 Wrote:  Pretty sure Bartow makes over 200k and I would assume Mullins being AD would make more then him so combined I would think they make more then the 450,000 DeChellis is making.

I could be wrong, but I thought Mullins actually made less than Bartow.

He should, hell min. wage is overpaying him.
I am not a fan of Bartow but Mullins is just useless.
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2012 11:52 PM by RodShaw2.)
01-29-2012 11:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.