Bookmark and Share
icehole3 Offline
All American

I Root For:
Obama: Bush Is Food Stamp President, Not Me
never ends, he's like a broken record

[Image: obama-eating-burger-fries.jpg]

http://www.breitbart.tv/obama-bush-is-fo...nt-not-me/

"First of all, I don't put people on food stamps. People become eligible for food stamps. Second of all, the initial expansion of food-stamp eligibility happened under my Republican predecessor, not under me. Number three, when you have a disastrous economic crash that results in 8 million people losing their jobs, more people are going to need more support from government."

01-27-2012 12:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bearcatmark Offline

I Root For: the Deliverator
RE: Obama: Bush Is Food Stamp President, Not Me
Which part of that is not true?

01-27-2012 12:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user
(01-27-2012 12:28 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  Which part of that is not true?

having read decision points, i fail to see why liberals don't embrace bush the way they should. the man should be their hero. liberals start wars, give aid to starving africa, invest taxpayers dollars into education, bailed out wall st (though he admitted his hand was forced)... all in all, i think he is a good man with a good heart (which sometimes got in the way).

01-27-2012 12:54 PM
Coopdaddy67 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ice cream

Participation in the food stamps program is significantly higher on average under President Obama than it ever was under President Bush.

01-27-2012 01:20 PM
Advertisement

Billy_Bearcat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Donators

Geez mark, even if Obama was 100% correct, it's unpresidential to call out your predecessor like he does. How childish can you look being the leader of the free world. I've never heard a president (D or R) cry "It's not my fault" more than this guy.

01-27-2012 10:13 PM
bearcatmark Offline

I Root For: the Deliverator
(01-27-2012 01:20 PM)Coopdaddy67 Wrote:  

Participation in the food stamps program is significantly higher on average under President Obama than it ever was under President Bush.

Hence obama said "the initial expansion". It was not even said to be critical of bush. The largef point was people become elligible for food stamps when they are in tough economic times, the president does not put people on food stamps.

01-28-2012 10:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user
(01-28-2012 10:01 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  

Hence obama said "the initial expansion". It was not even said to be critical of bush. The largef point was people become elligible for food stamps when they are in tough economic times, the president does not put people on food stamps.

no, but he could greatly restrict what was made available. anything that has "nutrition facts" on the back of a product is fair game. chips? check. soda pop? check. red bull? check. candy? better believe it. i saw a sign in athens, ohio at a pizza joint saying they accept food stamps. the university encourages students to go on food stamps, which i don't have much of a beef with. but i've said all this before. and this country has an obesity problem?

01-28-2012 10:27 AM
Advertisement

Eastside_J Away
Impressing Jodie Foster

I Root For: Cincinnati.
Donators
(01-28-2012 10:01 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  

Mark you are correct that Bush increased FS participation rates.

Yet another lesson to be learned from the inevitable negative fallout from well intentioned social programs or tweaks to social programs such as this.

The biggest shift in FS benefits that started with Clinton but was fully implemented during G.W. Bush years was the migration from actual physical food STAMPS to EBT (Electronic Benefit Transfer) cards. EBT cards are easy, get filled automatically and virtually eliminate the stigma associated with pulling a wad of FS out of your pocket.

Now that the FS person in line at the grocery store (or convenience store) pays for their entitlement fund purchase the same way I do with earned taxed money: using a plastic swipe card. Easy, quick no embarrassment, no social pressure, no stigma.

Negative social pressure and stigma is pretty essential to keep people from being too comfortable being on and seeking welfare programs. The rise in people on FS under Obama is completely out of proportion to the number of people unemployed. IMO this is because a huge number of people have changed their opinions about who is entitled to what.

When you have a president that suggests that wealth is somehow unearned or unfairly earned and who constantly hammers people with lines about the haves and have nots, the greedy rich and "unfairness". I think it is logical and incredibly predictable that you are going to have a rise in "entitlement" attitude and behavior from the exact people (the "have nots") he is pandering to.

And the results pretty much speak for themselves. Take a look at this graph and please let me know how it correlates it to incomes and unemployment.

[Image: Food-Stamps-Yearly.jpg]

So is Obama the FS president? Yes. Gven the objective data, IMO that is an earned title.

01-28-2012 12:30 PM
Crewdogz Offline
I'm Your Huckleberry

I Root For: America
Donators
EJ, 1 thing I whole-heartedly agree with you is the lack of stigma associated with using FS today. Our society is definitely an entitlement society.

01-30-2012 08:31 AM
subflea Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Free Thinking

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs
EBT cards have also had positive benefits, such as making the illegal sale of food stamps more difficult. Want to sell your food stamps, you have to sell everything they gave you instead of just $50 or $100 dollars worth.

(This post was last modified: 01-30-2012 09:47 AM by subflea.)
01-30-2012 09:46 AM
Advertisement

Butterfly Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cincinnati
Quote:Negative social pressure and stigma is pretty essential to keep people from being too comfortable being on and seeking welfare programs. The rise in people on FS under Obama is completely out of proportion to the number of people unemployed. IMO this is because a huge number of people have changed their opinions about who is entitled to what.

When you have a president that suggests that wealth is somehow unearned or unfairly earned and who constantly hammers people with lines about the haves and have nots, the greedy rich and "unfairness". I think it is logical and incredibly predictable that you are going to have a rise in "entitlement" attitude and behavior from the exact people (the "have nots") he is pandering to.

I think you're distorting the public perception of the rich, as somehow being directly related to entitlements.
That is not why it exists. The reason it exists, is many of the wealthier people in this country are not self made. What they have and what they have earned, are not one in the same. They are also not held accountable, to the same standards as the rest of society.

I think families should instill some level of shame in taking advantage of the system, but at the same time, adding stigma and ridicule, really doesn't make much of a difference for some.
Certain individuals have shown themselves to be out of touch with reality, in particular with the extension of unemployment benefits.
They expect some people to just take what ever job comes up, and not everyone who was and is being canned, was let go from Burger King.
When you have kids, illness, mortgages and a myriad of other things, you don't have that option. Of course, these people could cut back, yet the same people telling them to stop spending and charging, are the same dipshits, who have no problem with lenders offering these people charge cards or mortgages so they can continue to spend. Even though, we know they can't afford to.
If only, if only I was a hedge fund manager! Betting on people to fail and collecting money that nobody really has. It's genius...
Add to that, environmental disasters, caused by carelessness and greed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_County_sludge_spill You can ruin the water supply for nearly 30,000 people and it won't even cost you 6 grand. That's bat ****.
We also are treated differently by the legal system. Hell, I get drunk and kill somebody in the car, I go to prison for at least several years. Ted Kennedy does it and...
Laura Bush was sober when she did it.

Really, I think people look at the president and congress as coming from an alternate reality. They do not relate to the country, west of the Alleghenies. Every year, we get condensed, largely superficial ideology from politicians; that is not genuine. Every democrat is going to will us to success and is aware of all of our economic and evironmental woes. Every republican is going to with God, guns, abortion bans and Ronald Reagan, return America to the greatest generation, and after awhile, we just become wise to it.

02-01-2012 04:42 PM
Crewdogz Offline
I'm Your Huckleberry

I Root For: America
Donators
[Image: FoodStampBill.gif]

[Image: iFoodstamps.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 03-02-2012 12:22 PM by Crewdogz.)
03-02-2012 12:19 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(03-02-2012 12:19 PM)Crewdogz Wrote:  [Image: FoodStampBill.gif]

[Image: iFoodstamps.jpg]

Dam Obama, can you hook a brother up. I always pictured Obama as a guy who rigged up his apartments with free cable.

03-02-2012 12:41 PM
Advertisement

BearChatter v2.0 Offline
Rounding Third and headed...
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Da Bearcats!
Quote:Isn't It Ironic? The food stamp program, part of the Department of Agriculture, is pleased to be distributing the greatest amount of food stamps ever.

Meanwhile, the Park Service, also part of the Department of Agriculture, asks us to "please do not feed the animals" because the animals may grow dependent and not learn to take care of themselves.
- anonymous

03-02-2012 02:24 PM
beck Offline
All American

I Root For:
and under Bu$h, corporate food stamp$ were at an all time high.

lemmings on parade

03-07-2012 08:41 AM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
Incorrect

03-07-2012 09:00 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.