Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is Cantor Resisting Insider Trading Restrictions?
AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

I Root For: UMD / W&M
Is Cantor Resisting Insider Trading Restrictions?
http://www.louise.house.gov/index.php?op...Itemid=139

Quote:On January 26, 2009, Congresswoman Slaughter and Congressman Baird introduced HR 1148, the Stop Trading on Congressional Knowledge (STOCK) Act. The STOCK Act prohibits, by SEC rule, any members of Congress, Congressional staff, or Executive Agency employee from buying or selling stocks, bonds, or commodities based on nonpublic information they obtain because of their status.

The STOCK Act also prohibits anyone outside of Congress or the Executive Branch from making investment decisions on nonpublic information received from a Member of Congress, Congressional staff, or Executive Branch employee.

The legislation prohibits, by House Rule, Members or staff from disclosing material nonpublic information to individuals or firms if they believe that information will be used to inform stock trading decisions.

The STOCK Act requires Members of Congress and staff (those subject to financial disclosure requirements) to report the purchase, sale, or exchange of any stock, bond, or commodity transaction exceeding $1,000 within 90 days. Stocks in blind trust or mutual funds would be exempt from reporting.

Finally, the legislation requires firms that specialize in "political intelligence" to register with the House and Senate, as lobbying firms are required to do.

In the final months of 2011, the STOCK received an sudden surge of support from Members of Congress after a report by 60 Minutes about possible insider trading by Members of Congress. On December 6, 2011, Rep. Slaughter testified at a hearing by the House Financial Services Committee regaring the STOCK Act.

On December 7, 2011, House Majority Leader Eric Cantor indefinitely postponed a scheduled markup of the legislation. The bill currently has 235 co-sponsors- 153 Democrats and 82 Republicans. A bill needs 218 votes for passage by the House of Representatives.
01-25-2012 04:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

I'mMoreAwesomeThanYou Offline
Medium Pimping

I Root For: America
RE: Is Cantor Resisting Insider Trading Restrictions?
I wonder why he postponed it? I wouldn't read too much into this...yet.
01-25-2012 04:41 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
I hope this gets moving again soon. We need this.
01-25-2012 04:46 PM
RaiderATO Offline
Puddin' Stick

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
Doesn't sound like this will do anything other than aid in purely partisan attacks.
01-25-2012 05:32 PM
Advertisement

HuskieFan84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
Well.. he's making it pretty easy to attack one side. Even die-hard conservatives should be questioning him on this issue.
01-25-2012 10:26 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
Unless he plans to replace it with something stronger, this makes no sense.
01-25-2012 10:58 PM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
(01-25-2012 04:41 PM)ImMoreAwesomeThanYou Wrote:  I wonder why he postponed it? I wouldn't read too much into this...yet.

Maybe he is waiting for Harry Reid to pass a budget 1002 days and counting.
01-26-2012 09:44 AM
Ninerfan1 Offline
Habitual Line Stepper

I Root For: Charlotte
Cantor on Stock Act

Quote:House Majority Leader Eric Cantor says he’ll push for broad action early next year to crack down on alleged congressional corruption and make sure lawmakers don’t profit from inside information.

In an interview excerpt released Friday, Cantor says the measure will expand on the STOCK Act – legislation explicitly banning congressional insider trading that’s rapidly gained traction on both sides of Capitol Hill since a “60 Minutes” report in November highlighted the practice.

We'll see if they take it up again as he said they would. They need to. And I like that he wants to expand it past just stock trades to include land deals. Though I'm sure Harry Reid won't like that.
01-26-2012 09:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.