Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How is Newt attracting evangelical voters?
AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

I Root For: UMD / W&M
How is Newt attracting evangelical voters?
...over Santorum?

Is it about Santorum's lack of "electability" or is it something else?
01-23-2012 11:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BleedsHuskieRed Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU

Donators
RE: How is Newt attracting evangelical voters?
(01-23-2012 11:36 AM)AtlanticLeague Wrote:  ...over Santorum?

They are quite dumb as it is, so maybe they think he invented Butt Froth.
01-23-2012 11:38 AM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog

I'm going to modify my embargo on primary posts to just exclude those about Paul...

1) Newt gave up his philandering a decade ago and has both admitted it was wrong (without any qualifiers) and asked for forgiveness which his daughters have granted him.

So the 'he was a scumbag husband back in the 90's really holds no water with me. To those who have much been forgiven there is a burden to forgive others.

2) Newt is not the ideal conservative, not even close, but on core issues he is 'good enough', more trust worthy than Mitt, and more electable than Paul or Santorum.
01-23-2012 11:43 AM
Dak10 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ron Paul
How are any of them doing it over Paul? He's the only evangelical currently running for President.
01-23-2012 12:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
(01-23-2012 11:43 AM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  

I'm going to modify my embargo on primary posts to just exclude those about Paul...

1) Newt gave up his philandering a decade ago and has both admitted it was wrong (without any qualifiers) and asked for forgiveness which his daughters have granted him.

So the 'he was a scumbag husband back in the 90's really holds no water with me. To those who have much been forgiven there is a burden to forgive others.

2) Newt is not the ideal conservative, not even close, but on core issues he is 'good enough', more trust worthy than Mitt, and more electable than Paul or Santorum.
Given that you are a fundamentalist evangelical Christian, I suppose you would be the one to answer.
01-23-2012 12:10 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(01-23-2012 12:05 PM)Dak10 Wrote:  How are any of them doing it over Paul? He's the only evangelical currently running for President.

Paul's lack of tact, and his honesty.

Evangelicals have been beat down to the point where they're afraid of liberty and freedom. Saw it again yesterday.
01-23-2012 12:12 PM
Advertisement

Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

(01-23-2012 12:10 PM)RobertN Wrote:  

Given that you are a fundamentalist evangelical Christian, I suppose you would be the one to answer.

It matters not what box you try to put me in RN
01-23-2012 12:17 PM
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
(01-23-2012 12:17 PM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  

I guess if you fit, you must be it.
01-23-2012 12:24 PM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

(01-23-2012 12:24 PM)RobertN Wrote:  
(01-23-2012 12:17 PM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  

I guess if you fit, you must be it.

What you mean by evangelical christian is not what I mean when I say it.
01-23-2012 12:31 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
How is Newt attracting voters with so much as a pulse?
01-23-2012 12:32 PM
I'mMoreAwesomeThanYou Offline
Medium Pimping

I Root For: America
(01-23-2012 12:12 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  
(01-23-2012 12:05 PM)Dak10 Wrote:  How are any of them doing it over Paul? He's the only evangelical currently running for President.

Paul's lack of tact, and his honesty.

Evangelicals have been beat down to the point where they're afraid of liberty and freedom. Saw it again yesterday.

I would add he isn't an effective communicator. If people took the time to visit his website or do any research on their own he would probably get more votes. But if all you base your vote on is what he says during debates...you're not voting for Paul. He speaks over most peoples head...including mine sometimes. I just look up what he's talking about instead of writing it off.
01-23-2012 12:37 PM
Advertisement

I'mMoreAwesomeThanYou Offline
Medium Pimping

I Root For: America

I think people in the SE have a general distrust for liberal media and anyone who attacks them will be popular. And Newt is better at it than anyone.
01-23-2012 12:39 PM
Dak10 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ron Paul

Just stop. No poll shows that. All show Paul and Obama statistically tied. They all show Newt getting blown out.
01-23-2012 12:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HuskieFan84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
Because he apologized?? Really?? I mean come on.. at least just say you think he can beat Obama or that you don't put morals first. Its just baffling.. and hilarious to me, that legitimate Christians can justify voting for this guy.
01-23-2012 01:29 PM
Ninerfan1 Offline
Habitual Line Stepper

I Root For: Charlotte
(01-23-2012 01:29 PM)HuskieFan84 Wrote:  Because he apologized?? Really?? I mean come on.. at least just say you think he can beat Obama or that you don't put morals first. Its just baffling.. and hilarious to me, that legitimate Christians can justify voting for this guy.

God didn't disqualify Paul from leadership in the church because he had persecuted other Christians (read sin). Peter openly denied Christ (sin) yet went on to be a powerful leader in the church.

Those who believe a "legitimate" Christian can't justify voting for Newt have no knowledge of what forgiveness and redemption really are. They also have no clue of what it means to legitimately be Christian.
01-23-2012 01:36 PM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

(01-23-2012 01:29 PM)HuskieFan84 Wrote:  Because he apologized?? Really?? I mean come on.. at least just say you think he can beat Obama or that you don't put morals first. Its just baffling.. and hilarious to me, that legitimate Christians can justify voting for this guy.

A 'Legitimate Christian' looks at his own sin, and the forgiveness of that sin on a daily and continuing basis with such awe, that his heart breaks for the pure mercy and Grace that has been bestowed on him.

The 'Legitimate Christian' knows there is *nothing* they do which warrants the affections of, or forgiveness from Christ. The mystery that a perfect and holy God would forgive them for their transgressions against his rather simple law will floor a 'Legitimate Christian'.

Finally a 'Legitimate Christian', being aware of both the Grace and Mercy they have been bestowed and that they completely lack any just claim to that forgiveness seek to pass that same forgiveness along to others.

Quote:Romans 4:

“16 So the promise is received by faith, It is given as a free gift. And we are all certain to receive it, whether or not we live according to the law of Moses, if we have faith like Abraham’s.”

“Because of our faith, Christ has brought us into this place of undeserved privilege where we now stand,”

15 years ago I was fornicating, drinking too much, and committing more sins as practice than I care to list. How dare I claim that I have been forgiven and *NOT* be willing to look for that in others.
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2012 02:15 PM by Bull_In_Exile.)
01-23-2012 02:11 PM
Advertisement

HuskieFan84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
(01-23-2012 01:36 PM)Ninerfan1 Wrote:  

God didn't disqualify Paul from leadership in the church because he had persecuted other Christians (read sin). Peter openly denied Christ (sin) yet went on to be a powerful leader in the church.

Those who believe a "legitimate" Christian can't justify voting for Newt have no knowledge of what forgiveness and redemption really are. They also have no clue of what it means to legitimately be Christian.

Apparently all it means is that you can be a terrible person but if you apologize its no big deal. No wonder we give trophies for last place in this country.. talk about lowering the bar.
01-23-2012 02:28 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(01-23-2012 02:28 PM)HuskieFan84 Wrote:  

Apparently all it means is that you can be a terrible person but if you apologize its no big deal. No wonder we give trophies for last place in this country.. talk about lowering the bar.

It depends on what you mean.

Are you concerned about "lowering the bar" for a high level political leader?

Or b/c that's what is acceptable in Christianity.

B/c if it's the latter, you have it backwards. The bar is set by Jesus' absolute perfection. Anyone who thinks they get salvation b/c of their own good life is the one who lowers the bar.

If it's the former, you may have a valid point. However, given that we know Clinton and Obama have led very flawed lives, I assume you've been outspoken critics of them.
01-23-2012 02:41 PM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

(01-23-2012 02:28 PM)HuskieFan84 Wrote:  

There is a difference between apology and repentance... If you want a perfect moral man to lead you then you're an anarchist by default.
01-23-2012 02:43 PM
Ninerfan1 Offline
Habitual Line Stepper

I Root For: Charlotte
(01-23-2012 02:28 PM)HuskieFan84 Wrote:  Apparently all it means is that you can be a terrible person but if you apologize its no big deal.

No, that is not what it means. You don't understand the concept of forgiveness and redemption.

Quote:No wonder we give trophies for last place in this country.. talk about lowering the bar.

Giving trophies to those in last place is entirely an invention of the left in this country.
01-23-2012 02:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.