Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

A "What if" question
Bookmark and Share
Anonymous
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

If you are one of those people that don't like to ponder "what if".................then hit your back button right now. :D

I can't help but wonder sometimes how the fate of UC might have changed had Kenyon Martin not gotten hurt before the NCAA Tourney in 2000. "What if" UC wins the national champioship that year? "What if"?

Would it have made a difference in recruiting at UC? Would it have made a difference in how Conference USA was perceived? How much pressure would that have taken off of Huggins? Heck, would Huggins have left for West Virginia had he won it all that year?

It's kind of a question like what would the world be like had the Germans succeeded in taking over the entire world during WWII?

How would the UC program be different today had they won the national championship in 2000?

Look at UConn's program since they won it all. Top recruits galore.

UC has had some decent players and continued to win 20 to 25 games since then and make the tourney. But if they'd gotten some better players, in all liklihood they would have maybe gone further in the tourney, right?

It's like Lance pointed out. It took Jim Calhoun and Jim Boeheim 26 plus years to win the big one. And look at their recruiting resources now!

I think it could have changed the entire face of UC basketball easily. And I'm sure that is a huge understatement.

Okay, I'm expecting a negative comment from Snart any minute now.......any minute now........................any minute now. :ninja: :rolleyes:

01-26-2005 06:51 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fanatical Offline
lost in dreams of hops & barley

I Root For: South Park Cows

Bearcattitude Wrote:It's kind of a question like what would the world be like had the Germans succeeded in taking over the entire world during WWII?
:laugh:
I wouldn't go quite that far

I was all set to go to the Final Four that year, being a member of the band. I remember sitting in my chem lab when the grad student came in and told me. I wouldn't believe him.

If UC would have won that year, they would have been the only team not in a BCS conference to win the title since UNLV in 1990

Ah, what if.... :bang:

01-26-2005 07:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Anonymous
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

If it's going to set people in a depression thinking about this.......THEN TURN BACK NOW! :D :crying:

01-26-2005 07:16 PM
chatcat Offline
All American

I Root For: BEARCATS

You guys are too young to remember this, but what if Ed Jucker had not gone into the stall game in the 1963 National Championship game and UC had won their third straight national championship as they should have. The dynasty that was UCLA in the '60s and '70s could have been UC and there probably wouldn't have been an Ed Badger or Tony Yates era. What if, yada, yada, yada. :)

01-26-2005 07:56 PM
Fanatical Offline
lost in dreams of hops & barley

I Root For: South Park Cows

Loyola-Chicago is also the only team from the state of Illinois to have won an NCAA title....

learned that in the Sears Tower :D

01-26-2005 08:24 PM
DP3113 Offline
1st String

I Root For:

what if

in 3 years UC has the starting lineup of:

PG- Downey Jr
SG- Evans Jr
SG- Banks Sr
PF- Walker Fr
C- Herrera Jr?

Will we win it all?

01-27-2005 03:14 AM
Advertisement

Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user

What if everyone who's supposed to show up next year, shows up?? What if we have an offseason w/out incident? I think those are better questions, and more realistic ones to ponder. You guys and your what ifs.

01-27-2005 03:51 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Gee, you weren't suppose to get this far. The thread starts out by saying, people who don't like What IFs should click the back button. Obviously somewhere between your eyes and your brain and your fingers something is not communicating. You better have that fixed.

01-27-2005 06:31 AM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

Bearcattitude Wrote:Gee, you weren't suppose to get this far. The thread starts out by saying, people who don't like What IFs should click the back button. Obviously somewhere between your eyes and your brain and your fingers something is not communicating. You better have that fixed.
Sorry. Some times my fingers do the thinking.

01-27-2005 06:36 AM
Intimidate Dominate Celebrate Offline
1st String

I Root For:

DP3113 Wrote:what if

PG- Downey Jr
SG- Evans Jr
SG- Banks Sr
PF- Walker Fr
C- Herrera Jr?

Will we win it all?
Where's Bright?! Dude will be a senior and AA candidate!
(No, not alcaholics annonymous, All American)

And yes, if Kenyon did not break his leg it was a guaranteed Natl Championship. We woulda played UNC to get to the final 4 and we blew them out in the regular season that year! and you can't seriously tell me Mateen cleaves woulda beat Kenyon!

01-27-2005 10:39 AM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

Intimidate, Dominate, Celebrate Wrote:
DP3113 Wrote:what if

PG- Downey Jr
SG- Evans Jr
SG- Banks Sr
PF- Walker Fr
C- Herrera Jr?

Will we win it all?
Where's Bright?! Dude will be a senior and AA candidate!
(No, not alcaholics annonymous, All American)

And yes, if Kenyon did not break his leg it was a guaranteed Natl Championship. We woulda played UNC to get to the final 4 and we blew them out in the regular season that year! and you can't seriously tell me Mateen cleaves woulda beat Kenyon!
I know you're not being sarcastic IDC. Though I hope you are. Bright an All-American by his senior campaign?? I'm thinking he's a better chance of transfering than making an All-American. He hasn't found his role, yet. I also think the chances of him transferring are great. Though I thought the same about Hicks after his freshman year.

And no, Kenyon's team wouldn't have been a guarentee to win it all his senior year, had he not broken his leg. No question that was the most talented team in the NCAA that year, but I'm sure had Kenyon even been healthy, the luck that Cincy seemingly doesn't get would have knocked them out. That Temple game really makes me believe that. Talent on Huggs' teams doesn't necessitate success.

peace.

01-27-2005 10:59 AM
Advertisement

apoe Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Bright will be an AA by his senior year. Not first team but I think he could be among the top players by then.

And yes they would have won it all Kenyons senior year....All the negativity gets tiring. In the end complaining does nothing.

01-27-2005 11:34 AM
1st String

I Root For:

apoe Wrote:Bright will be an AA by his senior year. Not first team but I think he could be among the top players by then.

And yes they would have won it all Kenyons senior year....All the negativity gets tiring. In the end complaining does nothing.
Bright has shown me a lot this year, despite not playing big minutes. Sure, he takes some bad shots now and then, but we have to remember he is playing out of position(like everybody on this team). He can really crash the boards. Hopefully, after Kirk and White are gone he can move to the SF spot where he would be the most effective. I don't think we've had a really good look at him because he's not playing that much, hopefully he gets a lot of action against USF and Houston.

01-27-2005 12:17 PM
nkybearcat6 Offline
Excellent

I Root For: Cincinnati

apoe Wrote:Bright will be an AA by his senior year. Not first team but I think he could be among the top players by then.

I also think Bright will be an All American in his senior year

01-27-2005 03:26 PM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

Speculation does nothing either. And BTW who's complaining? It was an unfortunate incident.

Bright a AA by his senior year. Give me a break.

01-27-2005 09:07 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

I won't predict AA. But nor will I predict him to transfer. He is one of those versatile players that can do a little bit of everything. I think once he gets the green light to score more.......HE WILL. I see tremendous ability to put the ball in the basket, no matter what his stats say. He's a frosh. Kirkland, Hicks, and others played just like he did when they were frosh too.

01-27-2005 09:11 PM
Advertisement

Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

Bearcattitude Wrote:I won't predict AA. But nor will I predict him to transfer. He is one of those versatile players that can do a little bit of everything. I think once he gets the green light to score more.......HE WILL. I see tremendous ability to put the ball in the basket, no matter what his stats say. He's a frosh. Kirkland, Hicks, and others played just like he did when they were frosh too.
I think he'll eventually find his niche with the team. He does seem worthy of the minutes (even if this team had those other 3). He does have a nice inside game. I was also impressed with how well he can block shots. Say 15-20 more lbs, an Eric Hicks incarnate?

01-27-2005 09:15 PM
1st String

I Root For:

THG Wrote:
Bearcattitude Wrote:I won't predict AA. But nor will I predict him to transfer. He is one of those versatile players that can do a little bit of everything. I think once he gets the green light to score more.......HE WILL. I see tremendous ability to put the ball in the basket, no matter what his stats say. He's a frosh. Kirkland, Hicks, and others played just like he did when they were frosh too.
I think he'll eventually find his niche with the team. He does seem worthy of the minutes (even if this team had those other 3). He does have a nice inside game. I was also impressed with how well he can block shots. Say 15-20 more lbs, an Eric Hicks incarnate?
Maybe, but with a lot more offensive skills than eric!

01-27-2005 09:18 PM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

I was just about to add that IDC. Roy just needs to work on his outside shot. He seems to have a good inside game, and some good court awareness.

01-27-2005 09:23 PM
apoe Offline
1st String

I Root For:

THG.... speculation does nothing either? Then don't "speculate" that these players won't show show up to campus next season, or that there will be an off season "incident".

01-27-2005 09:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.