Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Expansion
RIVER CITY PIRATE Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: East Carolina

I have copied apost from another board. Here is what the person says about a recent meeting they were at for the BE.

I attended a football meeting last week. A few things were said that lead me to believe that the Beast is not going to expand to 12 teams in the near future.

> > The first which was used to recruit this year (but can't be used too much longer), was that to get to a BCS bowl the Beast was the easiest route since you only had to win 7 conference games. Too bad ND doesn't jump on this thinking. Since the talking heads keep using this as a put down, I think this can only be used as a recruiting tool for this & maybe next year.

> > The other statement was, that while the coaches in the 12 team conferences publicly say they like the conference playoff game, privately & off the record they dislike it. It is not the coaches who are for it (but the money people). It was brought out that after wining 10-11 & possibly in the future 12 games, you can lose a conference championship game to a team with a lesser record & it will cost you a chance at a national championship. It was pointed out that this happened to Oklahoma with a loss to Kansas St and Nebraska with a loss to Texas in championship games.

> > So, I see the Beast only going to 9 or 10 teams at most. The likely candidates at present are ECU and Memphis.

> > Another possibility knowing how MT thinks would be only adding only a 9th team (ECU) for all sports (which C-USA would prbably agree to), & a formal affiliation with the independent-3 (ND, Navy & Army) for f/b. With the addition of ECU the Beast would have 9 members, that allows 4 home & 4 away games. Each of the Ind-3 would play 3 Beast members each year for two years. After two years, they would rotate to the next Beast group of three. ND would play 3 Beast teams per year, Navy would play 3 Beast teams per year & Army would do the same. This would allow the Ind-3 to fill out the rest of their schedules as the wish. This would also guarantee the Beast a 9th game, and we would only have to find 3 OOC games. It would make scheduling easier, 4 home conf games, 4 away conference games, and 2 home & 2 away split between the Ind-3/OOC games.

> > Adding only 1 full member (ECU) wouldn't upset the b/b side either. Every team could play one another, and then set aside 1-2 or 3 key rival games, filling out the rest of the b/b schedule with OOC games.

> > Sorry for the long post & that some don't want to talk about expansion. But unfortunately, it is the most important thing still facing the Beast on the f/b/side.

> > Go Beast!

> > RUfan03

> > Rutgers,
> > The State University of New Jersey
02-11-2005 09:56 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse

One thing to remember..Notre Dame is still in the Big East for all sports but FB right now. If the split happens Notre Dame would be forced to choose: aligning their BB +non revenue sports with Depaul, Marquette, Providence, Villanova, Georgetown, St Johns and Seton Hall or the FB schools. I tend to think they'll go with the FB schools. The Catholics would probably add Xavier-OH. Also, these two leagues could still be loosely associated with each other-I suspect interleague play.
02-11-2005 11:04 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Good Lord....this is some crazy stuff you are quoting River City

Quote:The first which was used to recruit this year (but can't be used too much longer), was that to get to a BCS bowl the Beast was the easiest route since you only had to win 7 conference game

-- Why can't it be used too much longer? Is he implying ND is coming in or the BE is losing its bid?

Quote: > Another possibility knowing how MT thinks would be only adding only a 9th team (ECU) for all sports (which C-USA would prbably agree to), & a formal affiliation with the independent-3 (ND, Navy & Army) for f/b. With the addition of ECU the Beast would have 9 members, that allows 4 home & 4 away games. Each of the Ind-3 would play 3 Beast members each year for two years. After two years, they would rotate to the next Beast group of three. ND would play 3 Beast teams per year, Navy would play 3 Beast teams per year & Army would do the same. This would allow the Ind-3 to fill out the rest of their schedules as the wish. This would also guarantee the Beast a 9th game, and we would only have to find 3 OOC games. It would make scheduling easier, 4 home conf games, 4 away conference games, and 2 home & 2 away split between the Ind-3/OOC games.

-- Most of us find the league confusing now...I can't imagine what it would be like if this happened...8 schools play everything....8 schools play everything but football...ND plays everything and 3 football games...ECU only plays football...Army and Navy are football only memberst that play only 3 BE games.... :bang: ....this has to stop...give me 9 or 10 teams that play each other in everything please

Quote:So, I see the Beast only going to 9 or 10 teams at most. The likely candidates at present are ECU and Memphis.

-- I think most on this board can live with that

Jackson
02-11-2005 11:05 AM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators

TexanMark Wrote:One thing to remember..Notre Dame is still in the Big East for all sports but FB right now. If the split happens Notre Dame would be forced to choose: aligning their BB +non revenue sports with Depaul, Marquette, Providence, Villanova, Georgetown, St Johns and Seton Hall or the FB schools. I tend to think they'll go with the FB schools. The Catholics would probably add Xavier-OH. Also, these two leagues could still be loosely associated with each other-I suspect interleague play.
I've said this over and over... Xavier will not leave the A-10 without Dayton. If the basketball schools want Xavier, they will have to bring Dayton as well.
02-11-2005 11:13 AM
TopCoog Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

And if they did all that River City the NBE would be even weaker in football than it is now. They are not going to add Army and navy....geeeeez
02-11-2005 11:14 AM
Special Teams

Jackson,

I think you know where some of us with ECU stand on the Big East. We want in. Not simply becasue the BE is a BCS league and CUSA is not, it is simply for playing schools in the same time zone. Creating new rivalries with Eastern schools and maintaining others. I have respect for all the schools in CUSA but ECU has gotten a geographic nightmare on our hands.

I agree with you on how confusing these arrangements above would be. I too would like to see the Big East football playing schools form its own 12 team conference. It is the right thing to do. I hate the argument about teams losing a championship game and not getting to the BCS. Settle it on the field. I think as long as Trainedgeese is in charge of the Big East the b-ball playing schools will have their interests above the football playing schools.
02-11-2005 11:17 AM
Advertisement

Special Teams

TopCoog Wrote:And if they did all that River City the NBE would be even weaker in football than it is now. They are not going to add Army and navy....geeeeez
This is not my opinion there Coog. I simply relayed another post from a Rutgers alum.

And to you Coog, ECU will become a national power again in football. We have been there before and we wil be there again.

I will say this to you in hopes you can understand. ECU is on an island by itself with most schools in CUSA in another time zone. I respect each and every University in CUSA. But we at ECU would like to play schools in our own art of the country. That is my outlook.

It is more about that than the BCS to me.
02-11-2005 11:20 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

TopCoog Wrote:And if they did all that River City the NBE would be even weaker in football than it is now. They are not going to add Army and navy....geeeeez
Adding Army and Navy in this scenario would be as an associate--not a full fledged memeber. Remember Coog--the academies bring national TV eyeballs, provide realitively short drives for Pitt, WVU, Syracuse, Rutgers and Cuse and would make good ESPN2 games.
02-11-2005 11:38 AM
SO#1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Connecticut

I hate Mega-conference. The reason we have a conference so members can play each other. If everyone can’t play all of the members why have a conference at all?

I can live with 10-members conference but 9 are ideal. After the split, one spot must always stay available for Notre Dame. It’s harder kick someone out than to bring them in, look at Temple. If we can get a guarantee from ND a minimum of 4 games a year I’ll take it. Now it would be easier to bring back Penn Sate by guarantee them Notre Dame every year. I see no reason for PSU get kick out of C.I.C. seeing that it’s a mutual arrangement.

I understand ECU fans advancing 12-members conference for the BE or EAC because that the only way they have a change of getting in. USF is f…ing lucky
02-11-2005 12:56 PM
Brick City Pirate Offline
All American

I Root For:

If there is an opening for BE membership within the next 5 years, I'd put my money on ECU's AD Terry Holland, getting ECU invited over any other school except ND & Penn State.
02-11-2005 05:15 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN

I think the three schools that would be good for expansion would be: UCF, Memphis or ECU. UCF adds a big market and gives USF an instant rival. Memphis is a little out of the foot print but it does bring decent FB and BB and Liberty Bowl. ECU has good fans but not sure how big of a market it is adding to the conference.

My bet is UCF would gurantee all the BE members a trip to Florida every single year.
02-11-2005 05:21 PM
Advertisement

bu72ny Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

The Big East isn't interested in ECU-this was mentioned by Tranghese several weeks ago in response to the rumor of ECU as a ninth member. Now the rotation of games with Army, Navy, and Notre Dame makes sense especially with the 12 game schedule on the horizon.
02-11-2005 09:18 PM
USFBullSpit Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

You will still need to add a team to have 4 home and 4 away games. Army, Navy, and ND will not be BE conference members for football, but play against BE teams. That is the way I am reading this.
02-12-2005 01:12 AM
templefootballfan Online
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX

During the 90's, SI had message board. B-E board would discuss exp to strenghten conf to avoid raid from ACC. B-E is in the same spot. Look for B-10 get tired of waiting for ND & take WV. I'm sure Uconn, Rutgers, WVU, & Syc [not to mentioned Memphis] have already made informal calls.
02-12-2005 07:37 AM
All American

I Root For:

bu72ny, I don't think the BE is in the market for adding any school for at least a year. This does not mean that the BE will never be interested in ECU. If there is one spot open & all the AD's of the potential additions are put in a room in front of BE decision makers, I'd put my money on Terry Holland getting ECU an invite! This man is VERY impressive! This man can work a room, has a list of contacts a mile long, & is well known from his days at UVA.
02-12-2005 09:31 AM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators

Brick City,

You should know that Holland was also a major mover and shaker since the late 1990s to get VT into the ACC over SU.

So if the topic of a split and/or BE football expansion does come up over the next few years, I wouldn't count on SU's vote.

Cheers,
Neil
02-12-2005 09:46 AM
Advertisement

All American

I Root For:

Omni, Coach Holland probably didn't have a choice. VaTech was forced into the ACC since UNC & Duke would not vote for the Miami, BC, Syracuse Combo. Virginia held out because the Virginia politicans blackmailed them. If UNC or Duke would have changed their vote, Syracuse would be in the BE today. Another reason Coach Holland probably wanted VaTech was because he was tired of fighting the North Carolina 4 ACC members. Another school in Virginia would have helped balance the power in the ACC. Coach Holland hates UNC. In the end, I was very surprised that Syracuse was not invited. You can blame UNC & Duke. I would have thought they would have wanted Syracuse over VaTech. I guess they didn't want another challenger in basketball.

Omni, I'm sure every potential candidate for possible BE expansion has issues with the other BE schools. UCF just stiffed West Virginia when the Knights pulled out on a committed football game. Memphis, I think, has negative issues with Louisville. I do know that ECU has played Syracuse in football mulitple times. There has to be people within the university that view ECU favorably.
02-12-2005 09:57 AM
nflsucks Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Quote:In the end, I was very surprised that Syracuse was not invited. You can blame UNC & Duke. I would have thought they would have wanted Syracuse over VaTech.
I think they were against any expansion, which is why they voted no on the SU, BC, and Miami combo, despite it being a more desirable alternative to BC, Miami, and VPI.
02-12-2005 10:28 AM
All American

I Root For:

You are right NFL. Duke & UNC were against any expansion. The problem was the writing was on the wall. Expansion was going to happen. The ACC Commish. was bound & determined to get his way. UNC & Duke put Virginia in a tough situation. Virginia had to vote against expansion if it didn't include VaTech. Swofford, the ACC Commish., had to substitute VaTech for Syracuse in order to get Virginia's vote. Duke & UNC knew the pressure that was placed on Virginia. They had to know that Virginia would change it's vote if VaTech was included. It would seem to me, if UNC & Duke knew expansion was going to happen no matter if they voted against it, It would have been in their best interest to change their vote in order to get the best schools possible. VaTech is a fine school. It just seemed to me that Syracuse would have been preferred by UNC & Duke.
02-12-2005 10:40 AM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

templefootballfan Wrote:During the 90's, SI had message board. B-E board would discuss exp to strenghten conf to avoid raid from ACC. B-E is in the same spot. Look for B-10 get tired of waiting for ND & take WV. I'm sure Uconn, Rutgers, WVU, & Syc [not to mentioned Memphis] have already made informal calls.
Wrong. I may not have "inside" information but I do know for a fact that the Big Ten isn't going to expand to 12 unless it's Notre Dame. And I do know they're not interested in UConn, Rutgers, WVU and Syracuse. That's just internet gossip. Seriously there is no way the Big Ten would take West Virginia, and that's not a knock on West Virginia.
02-12-2005 10:49 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.