Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Will we get some fans out Saturday night?
Bookmark and Share
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
If we don't get a true 2000 or so out there we need to do something radical. It's not fair to our players, who work so hard, to not have a crowd out there to cheer them on. Students are out, so we won't have many of them. Hamrick used to let a business "sponsor" games and buy a large block of tickets and then distribute them locally. We need to get folks to start filling the upper deck. Getting the season ticket holders to show up is another story- I wonder if some of those folks would be willing to donate their seats to boy's clubs, youth teams, etc. Of course, the odds of a game day article are slim, with tomorrow's sport's section having 8-10 Cotton Bowl stories.
01-06-2012 01:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
RE: Will we get some fans out Saturday night?
This isn't brain surgery. No sense of urgency with the administration.
01-06-2012 01:06 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-06-2012 01:06 PM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  This isn't brain surgery. No sense of urgency with the administration.

Pappy you wouldn't think it was. However, I've been a fan for almost 30 years and it's always been a fight to get fans out to our games. I don't want to give the Democrap to much credit, but the reality it is that not getting coverage really hurts us. It's gotten worse and worse over the years. People don't view UALR as a real DI program when our coverage is only slightly better the Philander Smith. It simply deligitamizes us in the eyes of folks in Central Arkansas. Even if that is not true, it is unlikely that casual fans and "spectators" will attend games when they don't know we are playing. I really think we need to get a committee together made up of die-hard fans, community leaders, big-time boosters, and athletic department staff to figure out a way to deal with this situation in an organized manner. My individual calls to the paper, letters to the editor, etc. never did a thing. Neither have any suggests I've ever made about promotions, etc. Some have suggested hiring a coach who is a energetic "promoter". Problem is, anything short of hiring Nolan Richardson wouldn't even make the front page of the sport's section.
01-06-2012 01:24 PM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

(01-06-2012 01:24 PM)mjs Wrote:  [Pappy you wouldn't think it was. However, I've been a fan for almost 30 years and it's always been a fight to get fans out to our games. I don't want to give the Democrap to much credit, but the reality it is that not getting coverage really hurts us.

If you don't get coverage from others, then you make your own.
01-06-2012 01:36 PM
Advertisement

MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

Promotion is not difficult. But you have to have a little imagination and the will (and money) to do it. And not necessarily even a lot of money. You just have to be willing to do it.
01-06-2012 01:38 PM
Jim Tripcony Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UALR TROJANS
(01-06-2012 01:24 PM)mjs Wrote:  
(01-06-2012 01:06 PM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  This isn't brain surgery. No sense of urgency with the administration.

Pappy you wouldn't think it was. However, I've been a fan for almost 30 years and it's always been a fight to get fans out to our games. I don't want to give the Democrap to much credit, but the reality it is that not getting coverage really hurts us. It's gotten worse and worse over the years. People don't view UALR as a real DI program when our coverage is only slightly better the Philander Smith. It simply deligitamizes us in the eyes of folks in Central Arkansas. Even if that is not true, it is unlikely that casual fans and "spectators" will attend games when they don't know we are playing. I really think we need to get a committee together made up of die-hard fans, community leaders, big-time boosters, and athletic department staff to figure out a way to deal with this situation in an organized manner. My individual calls to the paper, letters to the editor, etc. never did a thing. Neither have any suggests I've ever made about promotions, etc. Some have suggested hiring a coach who is a energetic "promoter". Problem is, anything short of hiring Nolan Richardson wouldn't even make the front page of the sport's section.

I would be willing to cancel my subscription to the Demgaz if we could organize such a group in which EVERYONE would do the same, and then we could figure out how to publish the fact on-line, which is where more and more people are getting their news these days. I would also be glad to serve on or even chair a committee such as you describe.
01-07-2012 05:47 PM
Jim Tripcony Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UALR TROJANS
I really think we need to get a committee together made up of die-hard fans, community leaders, big-time boosters, and athletic department staff to figure out a way to deal with this situation in an organized manner.
[/quote]

Anyone who is really serious about that may RSVP me via this board that they will come to my office in Plaza West, ground floor, at 6:30 this coming Wednesday, January 11. If one person RSVPs, I will be there. Please do me the courtesy, however, of showing up if you say you will or call me with a cancellation, because otherwise I WILL BE THERE.
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2012 07:28 PM by Jim Tripcony.)
01-07-2012 07:27 PM
insideualr Offline
Lord of the Trojans

This is a good idea.
01-07-2012 10:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.