Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
SEC exp
templefootballfan Online
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX

IF SEC were to expand, I'm sure they have models. How about Hous & Mia. Or WV & Mia. These conf are like bussiness, grap your ground. IF ACC schools or B-10 decide to grap NE market. SEC would have to make move. WV & Mia would hurt ACC & B-10. Jumping into Tex would hurt B-12.
02-20-2005 11:20 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

WacoBearcat Away
Heisman

I Root For: UC

IF the SEC were to expand, it would go after Texas and Texas A & M. The league is not interested in Houston. In fact I think the SEC did make some informal overtures to these schools a few years ago. By grabbing Texas and A & M, it would create a tighter, geographic western division comprised of the following:

Texas
Texas A & M
LSU
Arkansas
Ole Miss
Miss State
Alabama

That would force the hand of the Big 12. Do you grab a couple of Texas schools (TCU. Houston), or go after Colorado State and Utah? Again the real prizes for the SEC would be A & M, and Texas.

IF the Pac 10 were to expand, it would also go after Texas and A & M.
02-20-2005 11:40 AM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

First of all the SEC and ACC aren't expanding past 12. And if they did adding West Virginia wouldn't effect the ACC, if it did then the ACC would have rushed to scoop up Virginia Tech and WVU. Instead they passed over WVU and were forced to take Virginia Tech. But people are going WAY overboard with this "the conferences are just picking and choosing who they'll get, they're EXPANDING". There is no reason for any of those conferences to expand outside of the Big East and MAYBE Pac-10 or Big Ten (Notre Dame). People keep acting like if this conference does something the OTHER conference has to do something. The SEC doesn't have to do anything. People claimed they had to do something when the ACC expanded and they didn't do anything. None of those conferences have to do anything and making any moves is a huge gamble that they can't clean up. If expanding to 14 teams fails you're screwed. Why risk doing that because another conference is stupid enough to expand to 14?
02-20-2005 12:11 PM
WacoBearcat Away
Heisman

I Root For: UC

Expansion talk is one way that fans of schools outside of the BCS conferences can hope for inclusion someday into a BCS conference. I don't begruge these fans for dreaming. What irritates me, however, is when fans from other conferences post on this Big East board and trash the Big East, it schools, or predict the Big East's failure. Kit Kat is a perfect example of who and what I am talking about here. Here's a fan from Ohio University making claims about the Big East and the University of Cincinnati that are just not true. UC fans don't go over to the MAC board and trash Ohio University, do we? No, I don't know a great deal about Ohio University, but I'm sure it's a fine school.

Now, in terms of expansion, I don't see any conferences going to 14 schools. It's not only the money, but by going to 14, rivalvies are not developed, or killed. What the point of being in a league if teams rarely compete against one another? 12 is the max, but I think 10 schools is an ideal number for a league. 10 gives you 9 league games, and basketball teams can play each other on a home-and-home basis.

I hope the Big East ultimately settles for 10 schools.
02-20-2005 12:24 PM
Advertisement

BullsFanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF

I agree with Waco....we should only go to 10. Really, 10 and 12 are the only numbers that are going to make sense. ACC would have been better off at 10 by adding only Miami.
But that doesn't mean a conference such as the ACC is going to listen to logic. I bet there is a decent chance they try to pick off Syracuse and UConn to form a "super conference". Doesn't mean they will, but they'll certainly look into it.
If you weren't going to give BC a travel partner within 1000 miles...why would you take them? I think somethin might be up.
02-20-2005 07:21 PM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

WacoBearcat Wrote:Expansion talk is one way that fans of schools outside of the BCS conferences can hope for inclusion someday into a BCS conference. I don't begruge these fans for dreaming. What irritates me, however, is when fans from other conferences post on this Big East board and trash the Big East, it schools, or predict the Big East's failure. Kit Kat is a perfect example of who and what I am talking about here. Here's a fan from Ohio University making claims about the Big East and the University of Cincinnati that are just not true. UC fans don't go over to the MAC board and trash Ohio University, do we? No, I don't know a great deal about Ohio University, but I'm sure it's a fine school.

Now, in terms of expansion, I don't see any conferences going to 14 schools. It's not only the money, but by going to 14, rivalvies are not developed, or killed. What the point of being in a league if teams rarely compete against one another? 12 is the max, but I think 10 schools is an ideal number for a league. 10 gives you 9 league games, and basketball teams can play each other on a home-and-home basis.

I hope the Big East ultimately settles for 10 schools.
That is so true. I've seen fans of MAC schools trash the Big East yet talk about one day being included in the Big Ten or Big East during conference expansion. It wouldn't bother me if there were people coming on the Big East board making a fool out of themselves. It's one thing to come on the Big East board and talking things out rationally, even if it's negative against the Big East, but trashing the conference and schools endlessly is ridiculous. I mean, you know it's getting bad when you have an Ohio U fan coming on the board claiming UC fans don't know what they're talking about when it comes to Notre Dame and the Big East and saying we're not a big deal then claiming that Ohio U. is a serious candidate for Big East expansion.
02-21-2005 07:18 AM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

BullsFanatic Wrote:I agree with Waco....we should only go to 10. Really, 10 and 12 are the only numbers that are going to make sense. ACC would have been better off at 10 by adding only Miami.
But that doesn't mean a conference such as the ACC is going to listen to logic. I bet there is a decent chance they try to pick off Syracuse and UConn to form a "super conference". Doesn't mean they will, but they'll certainly look into it.
If you weren't going to give BC a travel partner within 1000 miles...why would you take them? I think somethin might be up.
The ACC won't expand to 14 for a number of reasons. One, the presidents of the universities won't allow it, and second, it would cost them money. They're BARELY making a profit right now compared to ACC pre-expansion and that is with the huge T.V. deal they just signed. Adding anymore schools is going to cost them big time. That's what people who talk about superconferences don't understand. The SEC and ACC are not guaranteed to make more money expanding to 14 and there is a much, much stronger chance of them LOSING money expanding past 12 then it is staying at 12. The ACC WOULD NOT have been better off staying at 10. They wanted a championship game and adding Miami wasn't going to get them the T.V. deal they wanted.
02-21-2005 07:21 AM
David Krysakowski Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Right now the SEC doesn't have any plans to expand.
02-21-2005 09:47 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.