Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

This should settle the ULL or U of La matter
Bookmark and Share
eager eagle Offline
All American

I Root For:
This should settle the ULL or U of La matter
Lots of flack back and forth on this and other boards about The University of Louisiana at Lafayette and their desire to be called The University of Louisiana without the city name attached. The president of the University of Louisiana SYSTEM, Randy Moffett, made the following statement as quoted this morning in regards to the recent transfer of University of New Orleans to the U of La System. He said "The addition of UNO complements our eight REGIONAL comprehensive research universities truly making the UL System nine universities strong". So, UL Lafayette is ONE of the nine REGIONAL universities in the UL system (La Tech is in this same system). So sayeth the man in charge. These are the facts so everyone can draw their own conclusions.
12-18-2011 09:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Eagle in the gym Online
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
RE: This should settle the ULL or U of La matter
(12-18-2011 09:10 PM)eager eagle Wrote:  Lots of flack back and forth on this and other boards about The University of Louisiana at Lafayette and their desire to be called The University of Louisiana without the city name attached.

1. Really? Has there been?
2. Let them call themselves whatever they so desire. Why do you care?

If they wanted to call themselves the University of King Kong at Moscow, I really wouldn't mind.
12-18-2011 09:20 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Go UKKM! 03-lol
12-18-2011 09:27 PM
MUHERD76 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall Thundering Herd
(12-18-2011 09:10 PM)eager eagle Wrote:  Lots of flack back and forth on this and other boards about The University of Louisiana at Lafayette and their desire to be called The University of Louisiana without the city name attached. The president of the University of Louisiana SYSTEM, Randy Moffett, made the following statement as quoted this morning in regards to the recent transfer of University of New Orleans to the U of La System. He said "The addition of UNO complements our eight REGIONAL comprehensive research universities truly making the UL System nine universities strong". So, UL Lafayette is ONE of the nine REGIONAL universities in the UL system (La Tech is in this same system). So sayeth the man in charge. These are the facts so everyone can draw their own conclusions.

It's funny how names can play a big role in attractiveness when talking expansion. For Example....Would North Texas be more attractive if the school was simply name "Dallas'? Would UNC-Charlotte be more attractive if the name was simply "Charlotte"?

So what is the general consensus?....does people expect them to drop the "Laffayette" and simply go "Louisiana"? Can they do that? Will they do that?
12-18-2011 09:30 PM
Observer Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For:
Many of us already refer to ULL as Louisiana.
12-18-2011 09:37 PM
BRtransplant Offline
1st String

I Root For: La Tech
(12-18-2011 09:10 PM)eager eagle Wrote:  Lots of flack back and forth on this and other boards about The University of Louisiana at Lafayette and their desire to be called The University of Louisiana without the city name attached. The president of the University of Louisiana SYSTEM, Randy Moffett, made the following statement as quoted this morning in regards to the recent transfer of University of New Orleans to the U of La System. He said "The addition of UNO complements our eight REGIONAL comprehensive research universities truly making the UL System nine universities strong". So, UL Lafayette is ONE of the nine REGIONAL universities in the UL system (La Tech is in this same system). So sayeth the man in charge. These are the facts so everyone can draw their own conclusions.

I don't know why the people in Lafayette are bothered so by the name ULL. If it bothers them so much, why in heck did they agree to be OFFICIALLY NAMED the University of Louisiana at Lafayette? I mean, get real. UTEP has the name of the city in which they are located as part of their name and nobody has a problem with it. The same thing is true of UCLA. And Cincinnati. And having Boise as part of its name hasn't seemed to hurt BSU any. They all seem fine with the names that they chose to be called. It has been 20 years or more since ULL changed its name from USL to ULL. If they were going to become known as Louisiana, it would have happened by now. To everybody outside of Lafayette, Louisiana, they are UL-Lafayette. What is so bad about that?
12-18-2011 09:39 PM
Advertisement

NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
(12-18-2011 09:30 PM)MUHERD76 Wrote:  

It's funny how names can play a big role in attractiveness when talking expansion. For Example....Would North Texas be more attractive if the school was simply name "Dallas'? Would UNC-Charlotte be more attractive if the name was simply "Charlotte"?

So what is the general consensus?....does people expect them to drop the "Laffayette" and simply go "Louisiana"? Can they do that? Will they do that?

UNC-C has adopted the name Charlotte to represent their university and is displayed in all their athletic gear, field logo's, etc... and I do think they are more attractive as "Charlotte"... same goes for Memphis, Cinci, etc.
st932253 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Knights
UT-Austin, UN-Lincoln, UNC-Chapel Hill etc are in the same situation - but got "dibs" on the shortened version...
Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

I Root For: TROY
I'll say this, their fans are very passionate about the subject.
12-18-2011 09:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JDTulane Offline
Sazeracs and Retirement

I Root For: Peace
And their fans are wrong. Unlike Observer, not all Tulanians have roll'd over to give up a piece of our history. The title of University of Louisiana belongs to Tulane. Just like LSU tries to steal our NOLA culture, ULL tries to steal our Louisiana name rights 03-wink 05-stirthepot
12-18-2011 09:53 PM
techdawg88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
There already is a real University of Louisiana, and yall know it pretty well. Tulane was originally University of Louisiana from 1847–1884
12-18-2011 09:54 PM
Advertisement

rodtheman Offline
2nd String

I Root For: *E*C*U*
Actually, it is my understanding that LSU has a hand in making sure there is no University of Louisiana.
In reference to the UNC-XXX comments. As part of the greater University system of North Carolina, NCSU and ECU have an advantage having a separate name, even though they are technically UNC-xx. Some other schools want to be better known as Charlotte instead of UNC-C, and Wilmington instead of UNC-W in order to better separate themselves from those a--ho--s in Chapel Hill. And I Can't really blame them.
12-18-2011 09:55 PM
RiceDoc Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Rice

The Parliament AwardsFootball GeniusNew Orleans BowlCrappiesDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(12-18-2011 09:37 PM)Observer Wrote:  Many of us already refer to ULL as Louisiana.

(12-18-2011 09:39 PM)BRtransplant Wrote:  To everybody outside of Lafayette, Louisiana, they are UL-Lafayette. What is so bad about that?

To the contrary, many of us refer to that school as U-La-La. Sort of a Cajun Shangrila!
12-18-2011 09:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

I am so happy my Trojans dont share this delimma. we have an extremely marketable name. TROY. and no other University holds sway over us.
12-18-2011 10:01 PM
OwlFamily Offline
FLORIDA ATLANTICS DEFENDER OF THE FAITH

I Root For: FLORIDA ATLANTIC
(12-18-2011 10:01 PM)Burn the Horse Wrote:  I am so happy my Trojans dont share this delimma. we have an extremely marketable name. TROY. and no other University holds sway over us.

Love that market ya'll have. 04-cheers

[Image: Trojan-Condoms.gif]
12-18-2011 10:08 PM
The Original Timmy Chan Offline
Bad Mammy Jammy

I Root For: my wife
(12-18-2011 09:57 PM)RiceDoc Wrote:  
(12-18-2011 09:37 PM)Observer Wrote:  Many of us already refer to ULL as Louisiana.

(12-18-2011 09:39 PM)BRtransplant Wrote:  To everybody outside of Lafayette, Louisiana, they are UL-Lafayette. What is so bad about that?

To the contrary, many of us refer to that school as U-La-La. Sort of a Cajun Shangrila!

I've always been slightly jealous that they can refer to themselves as OO-LA-LA...

Much cooler than what you can do with UH. (But as the MOB likes to remind us, you can't spell DUH without UH!) :)
12-18-2011 10:12 PM
Advertisement

Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

haters gonna hate OF. 02-13-banana

hard to argue though, "Troy" is a very catchy and marketable brand name.
12-18-2011 10:13 PM
CalallenStang Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: SMU Mustangs
(12-18-2011 09:30 PM)MUHERD76 Wrote:  Would North Texas be more attractive if the school was simply name "Denton'?

FIFY.

UNT is located 41 miles from downtown Dallas. The University of Akron doesn't say it's in Cleveland.
12-18-2011 10:23 PM
EagleRockCafe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Eagles
Geez, I am old I guess. I remember playing them when they were Southwestern Louisiana.
12-18-2011 10:54 PM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
(12-18-2011 09:53 PM)JDTulane Wrote:  And their fans are wrong. Unlike Observer, not all Tulanians have roll'd over to give up a piece of our history. The title of University of Louisiana belongs to Tulane. Just like LSU tries to steal our NOLA culture, ULL tries to steal our Louisiana name rights 03-wink 05-stirthepot

So why doesn't Tulane go by the name U of L? Seems like a much more marketable name if you ask me.
12-18-2011 11:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.