Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
This board is getting stupid...
Bookmark and Share
slappycajun Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UL
You want to call us ULL, fine call us ULL. Want to do it to get under my skin. That's fine too.

I'm as respectful and care free as they come. The school has requested that we be called Louisiana athletically. Which is not illegal. If you don't want to call us that fine, don't call us that. If someone corrects you ignore them.

All I know is that there are two or three posters here that ruin a lot of fun for everyone. And the board is getting less and less fun.
12-15-2011 02:46 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

AstroCajun Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: UL Ragin Cajuns
RE: This board is getting stupid...
You said it.
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2011 02:58 PM by AstroCajun.)
12-15-2011 02:57 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
I do my best to use Louisiana and UL but as a veteran of public school playgrounds I beg you guys to not take the bait every time someone goads you on this or worse jump all over the poor unsuspecting person who does not do it to piss you off.
12-15-2011 03:10 PM
MT FAN Offline
All American

I Root For: Middle Tennesse
(12-15-2011 03:10 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  I do my best to use Louisiana and UL but as a veteran of public school playgrounds I beg you guys to not take the bait every time someone goads you on this or worse jump all over the poor unsuspecting person who does not do it to piss you off.

Exactly! We get callled "MUTS" all the time and athletically we prefer to be called MT or Middle Tennessee, but we still get called MTSU. Still, there is no need to derail thread after thread. Just ignore it.
12-15-2011 03:17 PM
BraveCajun Offline
Bench Warmer

+1

A lot folks seem to think that EVERY cajun fan gets butt hurt everytime someone uses ull instead of Louisiana. Apparently it's easier for them to make broad judgements about us Cajun fans. For every one Cajun fan that complains about the name issue there is 3 others that complain about the one Cajun fan!

(12-15-2011 02:46 PM)slappycajun Wrote:  You want to call us ULL, fine call us ULL. Want to do it to get under my skin. That's fine too.

I'm as respectful and care free as they come. The school has requested that we be called Louisiana athletically. Which is not illegal. If you don't want to call us that fine, don't call us that. If someone corrects you ignore them.

All I know is that there are two or three posters here that ruin a lot of fun for everyone. And the board is getting less and less fun.
12-15-2011 03:18 PM
cajunhawk Offline
Banned

Is it out of the realm of possibility that we expect this board to be above all that nonsense? Is it out of the realm of possibility that we can be one big happy SBC family(except for ULM, they are the shunned child locked in the basement)? These are not unreasonable requests.
12-15-2011 03:20 PM
Advertisement

BraveCajun Offline
Bench Warmer

(12-15-2011 03:17 PM)MT FAN Wrote:  
(12-15-2011 03:10 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  I do my best to use Louisiana and UL but as a veteran of public school playgrounds I beg you guys to not take the bait every time someone goads you on this or worse jump all over the poor unsuspecting person who does not do it to piss you off.

Exactly! We get callled "MUTS" all the time and athletically we prefer to be called MT or Middle Tennessee, but we still get called MTSU. Still, there is no need to derail thread after thread. Just ignore it.

Everyone needs to ignore the name crap and not just the Louisiana fans!
12-15-2011 03:21 PM
Vobserver Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Louisiana

Mark, the problem is, we are expected to honor everyone else's self-chosen branding and then just accept that they refuse to honor ours. Every well-run forum in the world has rules to which members must adhere. I don't think it is asking too much to set a rule that posters must respect the branding chosen by each University, at least in the non-smack folders.

Sure there would be issues for about a month. After that, the people who have a legitimate desire to communicate with fans of other schools in the conference will comply with the rules; and the rest are only there to stir the pot and talk smack anyway. Relegate them to the Smack folder and let them have their childish fun.

In one way you hit the nail on the head; this forum has become a children's playground for a bunch of disrespectful brats.
12-15-2011 03:29 PM
OwlFamily Offline
FLORIDA ATLANTICS DEFENDER OF THE FAITH

I Root For: FLORIDA ATLANTIC
It's really simple folks.

Simply don't react IF someone calls your school by an INCORRECT name and the post is in an informative, respectful manner. Therein lies the problem IMHO. I will use the Cajuns as an example since its the most prevelant.

If someone has a thread that says "Congrats UL-L on your bowl win!" Then simply respond WITHOUT bringing up the fact that YOU want them to say "Congratas Cajuns on your bowl win"

The 18K ticket thread was a prime example of a legitimate thread that a few posters took to be backhanded and decided to blow it up. So was the one about the Driving distance.

Just stop. THINK before you post. RE-READ the thread and look at the other responses to see if your initial reaction is on the mark or perhaps you took it the wrong way.
12-15-2011 03:38 PM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
(12-15-2011 03:29 PM)Vobserver Wrote:  

Mark, the problem is, we are expected to honor everyone else's self-chosen branding and then just accept that they refuse to honor ours. Every well-run forum in the world has rules to which members must adhere. I don't think it is asking too much to set a rule that posters must respect the branding chosen by each University, at least in the non-smack folders.

Sure there would be issues for about a month. After that, the people who have a legitimate desire to communicate with fans of other schools in the conference will comply with the rules; and the rest are only there to stir the pot and talk smack anyway. Relegate them to the Smack folder and let them have their childish fun.

In one way you hit the nail on the head; this forum has become a children's playground for a bunch of disrespectful brats.
. You might, but your fanbase instigates ULM posters by calling them JUCO, you can't sit here and say your other posters are respectful, because they're not. It's a two way street. You seem like a good one, but unfortunately you don't represent the rest who choose to be disrespectful.
12-15-2011 03:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Tuffguy21 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(12-15-2011 03:41 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  

. You might, but your fanbase instigates ULM posters by calling them JUCO, you can't sit here and say your other posters are respectful, because they're not. It's a two way street. You seem like a good one, but unfortunately you don't represent the rest who choose to be disrespectful.

In his defense, when he did mention the idea of a board rule about what to and not to call schools, he mentioned Juco by name as well as MUTS and Troy State as examples of stuff that would be moved to the smack folder.
12-15-2011 03:49 PM
Advertisement

Vobserver Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(12-15-2011 03:41 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  

IF, and I realize that it is a big if, there were rules about using chosen branding, all that would disappear, except in the smack folder where it belongs. I have no issue with our folks being hammered for being disrespectful in here. I acknowledge that we [as a group] make as many childish posts as the next fan base. Those posts should go to smack, just like anyone else's, even if it's me that makes it.
12-15-2011 03:55 PM
cajunhawk Offline
Banned

Were Cajuns...we are aggressive, stubborn, and passionate. If that upsets your ego then check it at the door. We know no other way to be.
12-15-2011 04:01 PM
FIU Panther Fan Offline
1st String

I Root For: FIU
I'm not too interested in this, but I love this comment. Basically it is telling the rest of us the your fans have a license to be d*cks and everyone else should take it. If that's the general attitude in your fan base then it is no wonder other fans are reacting the way they are.

(12-15-2011 04:01 PM)cajunhawk Wrote:  Were Cajuns...we are aggressive, stubborn, and passionate. If that upsets your ego then check it at the door. We know no other way to be.
12-15-2011 04:25 PM
Vobserver Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(12-15-2011 04:25 PM)FIU Panther Fan Wrote:  I'm not too interested in this, but I love this comment. Basically it is telling the rest of us the your fans have a license to be d*cks and everyone else should take it. If that's the general attitude in your fan base then it is no wonder other fans are reacting the way they are.

(12-15-2011 04:01 PM)cajunhawk Wrote:  Were Cajuns...we are aggressive, stubborn, and passionate. If that upsets your ego then check it at the door. We know no other way to be.

No, it's telling you that we will not gracefully accept others being d*cks with us. There's a difference.
12-15-2011 04:29 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(12-15-2011 02:46 PM)slappycajun Wrote:  You want to call us ULL, fine call us ULL. Want to do it to get under my skin. That's fine too.

The ironic part is that it would be the conference and the state of Louisiana if you guys where called Louisiana and Monroe just went by ULM or even Monroe. Has having a a Cal and a UCLA hurt the Pac-12? Nevada and UNLV seem to have survived. As for legall vs. athletically, none of the Cal-State schools seem to go by their legal hyphenated names.
12-15-2011 04:34 PM
Advertisement

FIU Panther Fan Offline
1st String

I Root For: FIU
I think its fairly evident how people are reacting to your fanbase, but if you chose to ignore the evidence that is on you.

(12-15-2011 04:29 PM)Vobserver Wrote:  
(12-15-2011 04:25 PM)FIU Panther Fan Wrote:  I'm not too interested in this, but I love this comment. Basically it is telling the rest of us the your fans have a license to be d*cks and everyone else should take it. If that's the general attitude in your fan base then it is no wonder other fans are reacting the way they are.

No, it's telling you that we will not gracefully accept others being d*cks with us. There's a difference.
12-15-2011 04:40 PM
cajunhawk Offline
Banned

React anyway you chose...it's your right to do so. But don't be surprised when we defend ourselves. It's in our nature. You want this all to stop...you all know what to do. The non-Cajun fans are as much to blame if not more for this.
12-15-2011 05:09 PM
InjunJohn Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: ULM
I will give you a ULM fan perspective on the name issue. When this occured, there was a requirement for at least 2 schools to go along with this change. Against the expressed desire of the alumni and students, a former president (who ran the university into the ground) went ahead and agreed. The requirement was for any university to use the city name along with the University of Louisiana. Having known the history of our friends in Lafayette and their desire to become the University of Louisiana (no city name) for decades and their attempt in the mid 80s to accomplish that, many of us knew what was going to happen and that they would try to drop Lafayette and just become the University of Louisiana.

While Cajun fans state on here that they just want this for the branding of sports, many of us who attended that school in Monroe see it as getting the one foot in the door so everything to do with the school in Lafayette will be known as Louisiana. Some of you may disagree with me and honestly believe that it is just a branding issue for athletics. Others of you know that is exactly what is happening. For those of us who graduated from NLU, which is now ULM, we see it that way and you won't see us refer to you as UL or Louisiana. You will be ULL or Cajuns. Showing respect to other posters and their Alma Maters will get you a Cajuns from this Warhawk (Indian).

Go back and look at threads. The vast majority of the time, it isn't ULM fans who start the naming fights. It isn't ULM fans who post a link to a blog where someone said Louisiana instead of ULL with the expressed purpose of stirring up sh*t.

Again, this was to give you perspective from ULM. Not intended to get into some long drawn out discussion about "UNO gave us the right" and "the didn't have the ownership of the name" and "the state legislature slapped you down in the 80s" and "well it is just branding."

As far as the general board goes, I find that the vast majority of the posters on here are pretty insightful, respectful, ready to offer up congratulations, and support the SBC and the member schools. I truly do pull for the other schools here when they play. There are a few folks with a quick temper and will fire back with the slightest provocation and there are a few who see fault when anyone challenges them. Then there are some who just want to poke sticks constantly.

As I said before, respect is a two way street. You want it, you give it.

Ok, I will get off my soapbox. Come on Jacksonville. Beat those Falcons!!
12-15-2011 05:12 PM
cajunhawk Offline
Banned

(12-15-2011 03:38 PM)OwlFamily Wrote:  It's really simple folks.

Simply don't react IF someone calls your school by an INCORRECT name and the post is in an informative, respectful manner. Therein lies the problem IMHO. I will use the Cajuns as an example since its the most prevelant.

If someone has a thread that says "Congrats UL-L on your bowl win!" Then simply respond WITHOUT bringing up the fact that YOU want them to say "Congratas Cajuns on your bowl win"

The 18K ticket thread was a prime example of a legitimate thread that a few posters took to be backhanded and decided to blow it up. So was the one about the Driving distance.

Just stop. THINK before you post. RE-READ the thread and look at the other responses to see if your initial reaction is on the mark or perhaps you took it the wrong way.

(12-15-2011 05:12 PM)InjunJohn Wrote:  I will give you a ULM fan perspective on the name issue. When this occured, there was a requirement for at least 2 schools to go along with this change. Against the expressed desire of the alumni and students, a former president (who ran the university into the ground) went ahead and agreed. The requirement was for any university to use the city name along with the University of Louisiana. Having known the history of our friends in Lafayette and their desire to become the University of Louisiana (no city name) for decades and their attempt in the mid 80s to accomplish that, many of us knew what was going to happen and that they would try to drop Lafayette and just become the University of Louisiana.

While Cajun fans state on here that they just want this for the branding of sports, many of us who attended that school in Monroe see it as getting the one foot in the door so everything to do with the school in Lafayette will be known as Louisiana. Some of you may disagree with me and honestly believe that it is just a branding issue for athletics. Others of you know that is exactly what is happening. For those of us who graduated from NLU, which is now ULM, we see it that way and you won't see us refer to you as UL or Louisiana. You will be ULL or Cajuns. Showing respect to other posters and their Alma Maters will get you a Cajuns from this Warhawk (Indian).

Go back and look at threads. The vast majority of the time, it isn't ULM fans who start the naming fights. It isn't ULM fans who post a link to a blog where someone said Louisiana instead of ULL with the expressed purpose of stirring up sh*t.

Again, this was to give you perspective from ULM. Not intended to get into some long drawn out discussion about "UNO gave us the right" and "the didn't have the ownership of the name" and "the state legislature slapped you down in the 80s" and "well it is just branding."

As far as the general board goes, I find that the vast majority of the posters on here are pretty insightful, respectful, ready to offer up congratulations, and support the SBC and the member schools. I truly do pull for the other schools here when they play. There are a few folks with a quick temper and will fire back with the slightest provocation and there are a few who see fault when anyone challenges them. Then there are some who just want to poke sticks constantly.

As I said before, respect is a two way street. You want it, you give it.

Ok, I will get off my soapbox. Come on Jacksonville. Beat those Falcons!!
Louisiana or nothing. You don't want to call us what we want to be called...keep our name out of your mouths. Pretty simple.
12-15-2011 05:15 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.