Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Coaching Search Part III
Bookmark and Share
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
Coaching Search Part III
I'll try my best to update this thread w/ sources from twitter and media reports...
12-14-2011 01:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SoCalPanther Online
All American

I Root For: Pitt RPI
RE: Coaching Search Part III
I can't help it but:

Panthernation 'not pleased'
Paul Zeise 'gathering facts'

Life as a Pittfan I guess.
12-14-2011 04:31 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

Donators
Just reading the same names as last year in Foster, Lewis, Austin, Bradley, and so on. Not sure if Morris from Clemson is a real possibility or not. I think that Foster with Frank Cignettit as the OC would be a great start. Who knows. Just frustrating.
12-14-2011 08:48 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

Donators
BobL of Panther Digest

http://twitter.com/#!/BobLichtenfels/sta...7007969280
Quote:Tom Bradley gaining steam with a lot of folks at #Pitt we'll see
12-14-2011 08:57 PM
ndlutz Offline
I am the liquor.

I Root For: Pitt
I'm so torn on Bradley. He was my top choice last year but now that everything has come out with the PSU scandal I couldn't help but feel hypocritical by wanting him to come in and coach us next year. I'm not sure I have really good justification for this.

Also, Pederson has to go. He can't make this decision. It's just too important.
12-14-2011 09:21 PM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
I don't know what will happen to SP. I think he doesn't survive this, but you never know.

Coaches I like who I think are a real possibility: Austin, Chryst, Foster, Stoops

Coaches I'd like to see them shoot for but probably fall short: Boise HC and TCU HC

Coach Pitt likely ends up with: Mario Cristobal.
12-14-2011 09:31 PM
Advertisement

ndlutz Offline
I am the liquor.

I Root For: Pitt
In the nicest way possible, Patterson from TCU and Petersen at Boise State are just not even going to happen. They're out of our league completely.

I think Austin, Chryst, and Foster are possibilities. Austin will probably get an interview and may well be our next coach in my opinion. Foster probably won't even get an interview. His name comes up every time there is a search but he never even gets a sniff. I'd be OK with him, though. Chryst would be an excellent candidate but I fear that he's the type of highly sought after candidate that will ultimately not get this job because he may ultimately be too desirable for us - aka in the first category above.

I'm imagining that Bradley doesn't even get considered. Penn State is so toxic that I just can't see it. I wouldn't mind so much if he were hired, though. I still like him. One thing is for sure - he has friends in the Pittsburgh media because his name ALWAYS comes up as a serious candidate whether he is or not.

I don't know anything about Cristobal. I will have to look him up.
12-14-2011 10:22 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

Donators
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2011 04:38 AM by ClairtonPanther.)
12-15-2011 01:33 AM
SoCalPanther Online
All American

There's absolutely no way that Pitt can touch Tom Bradley. Not even if the Steelers brass pays his and his coaching staffs salary, endows 20 FB scholarships, and require Steeler season ticket holders to buy at least 15k of Pitt FB season tickets too .

I think Pitt should make a run at Jeff Mullen at Miss St. but I doubt Pitt will pay him what is necessary (his wife is from USC?)

What about Paul Rhoads @ISU?

Anyone think Smiley is going to be a problem here?

EDIT: I see Zeise already mentioned Rhoads. Oh well......
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2011 05:44 AM by SoCalPanther.)
12-15-2011 05:30 AM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

Donators
Hoquista... I agree. I like Paul Rhoads, and DC Foster the most out of the bunch. Sweatervest is intriguing but I'll pass. I hope Frank Cignetti gets a serious look this time around.
12-15-2011 05:43 AM
SoCalPanther Online
All American

(12-15-2011 05:43 AM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  Hoquista... I agree. I like Paul Rhoads, and DC Foster the most out of the bunch. Sweatervest is intriguing but I'll pass. I hope Frank Cignetti gets a serious look this time around.

I have no interest in Cignetti. I thought Sweatervest would have been interesting before he was hired at OSU but Pitt can't hire him now.

Let's see how this plays out but they need someone ASAP
12-15-2011 05:46 AM
Advertisement

ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

Donators
I hope we have a new coach before Christmas or the New Year and really hope that the new staff is in place to coach the bowl game. I want Patterson as far away from the program as possible.
12-15-2011 06:00 AM
miko33 Offline

I'm starting to get the feeling that Pitt will hire Mario Cristobal from FIU. The guy is definitely going places, and I think Pitt could expect at a minimum a 3 - 5 year commitment from him. His name is not well known, but it seems like he is one of the hot young coaches coming up. I'm actually surprised "The U" didn't hire him the last go around.

Anyone think Pitt has a shot at or would consider Al Golden? I would like to see him be a serious candidate for the job if he would be interested. I know he inked a nice long term deal with Miami, but who knows what trouble Miami will be in before it's all said and done. He may be a candidate.
12-15-2011 08:17 AM
Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
Are there any good candidates who already know Pennsylvania recruiting well? I'm thinking/hoping there will be a window of opportunity while Penn St gets their act together, and I'd hate to see you guys miss out.
12-15-2011 08:34 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
miko33 Offline

(12-15-2011 08:34 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  Are there any good candidates who already know Pennsylvania recruiting well? I'm thinking/hoping there will be a window of opportunity while Penn St gets their act together, and I'd hate to see you guys miss out.

The only good candidates that I could think of are toxic - Tom Bradley or Larry Johnson Sr. - and are at PSU.

Right now, I think the front runners will be Teryl Austin and Mario Cristobal. I'd like to see Bud Foster get a look, but I don't think that will happen. He appears too entrenched at VT. One name that would know Pitt's recruiting areas is Al Golden. I realize he signed the long term contract with Miami, but Miami is still going to be an unknown because of the looming NCAA investigations and eventual sanctions. I think Golden might be a possibility, but my money would be on Teryl Austin and Mario Cristobal right now - based on how the search went last year.
12-15-2011 09:15 AM
SoCalPanther Online
All American

Golden isn't leaving for Pitt. He just signed an extension to stay at Miami until 2020.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/stor...nsion-2020

There are a lot of candidates that know PA including Teryl Austin, Zook (yes, that Ron Zook), Bud Foster, etc. Not as well as the PSU retreads though......Alot of these guys are currently recruiting PA or have done so in the past.

I'm not feeling it for Cristobal.

Mark Stoops (DC FSU) is under consideration for the DC at Auburn. I'd give him a look (as Miko said earlier in the thread).

No matter who is hired, the guy has to put together a great staff. Can he do that so late in this years recruiting cycle?
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2011 09:18 AM by SoCalPanther.)
12-15-2011 09:16 AM
Advertisement

miko33 Offline

Actually, I'm warming to the idea of Sal Sunseri as the next HC. He's coached for one of the best CFB coaches out there today. He is an assistant HC, so he likely has experience with taking on the role of the HC from time to time. I think this time he would be ready.
12-15-2011 09:55 AM
natibcats22 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Cincinnati
What about Steve Addazio at Temple, Up and coming guy and is in Philly right now so could ease recruiting.
12-15-2011 11:49 AM
SoCalPanther Online
All American

Don't see how it can be Sal. SP is going to want his guy and not someone tied to the older alumns/fans.
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2011 12:11 PM by SoCalPanther.)
12-15-2011 12:10 PM
miko33 Offline

(12-15-2011 12:10 PM)Hoquista Wrote:  Don't see how it can be Sal. SP is going to want his guy and not someone tied to the older alumns/fans.

His guy didn't pan out. Wanny didn't either. So right now I think the pendulum is swinging back to finding someone who WANTS to be coach at Pitt because of the school itself more so than the opportunity it presents. That means we're likely to see a guy with Pitt ties or PA ties to become coach.

I wouldn't discount Golden just yet. Despite the big contract extension, don't be surprised if he is still chapped over the NCAA issues coming down the pike. But right now I think it will be Sal's job to lose. JMHO.
12-15-2011 01:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.