Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Will the ACC pull the rug out from under the Big East party?
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
Will the ACC pull the rug out from under the Big East party?
Is it now time for the ACC to toss its last two invites to Rutgers and UConn? Will they give up on waiting for Notre Dame now that the Big East is showing serious signs of revival and growth?

I would say it is very unlikely that Notre Dame will be leaving the Big East soon. If the ACC was to pull the trigger now, the loss of UConn and Rutgers throws a major twist in the plans of the Big East.

So what do you guys think? Will the ACC react?
12-07-2011 10:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Gopper Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Cards
RE: Will the ACC pull the rug out from under the Big East party?
no
12-07-2011 10:34 PM
ncbeta Offline
Suffering from trolliosis

I Root For: ECU
I wouldn't mind seeing the ACC take Rutgers and Uconn, and the BIGXII taking Louisville and Cincy, but hey i'm the jealous type. 05-stirthepot
12-07-2011 10:45 PM
pablowow Offline
1st String

I Root For: TULANE/AAC
Yes they will.

its just not a finished product for the power conferences. ACC sitting at 14 and SEC and you have BIG 12 at 10. the next move will be BIG 12. then ACC. Both conferences are doing it for defense purposes also. PAC 12 wants more and B1G is sitting quiet needing eastern presence for their future.

BIG 12 will load and ACC will load up for defense against SEC and B1G.
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2011 11:08 PM by pablowow.)
12-07-2011 11:04 PM
sierrajip Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
He1nousOne:
"Is it now time for the ACC to toss its last two invites to Rutgers and UConn? Will they give up on waiting for Notre Dame now that the Big East is showing serious signs of revival and growth?"

Why would the ACC want to go to 16 at this time. Would it make the situation any better. It would not bring down the BE and would lessen the ACC individual schools share of their contracted money with no guaratee not to be poached themselves. If any conference would be poaching the BE in that senario, I would think it would be the Big12-2.
12-07-2011 11:20 PM
He1nousOne Offline

(12-07-2011 11:20 PM)sierrajip Wrote:  He1nousOne:
"Is it now time for the ACC to toss its last two invites to Rutgers and UConn? Will they give up on waiting for Notre Dame now that the Big East is showing serious signs of revival and growth?"

Why would the ACC want to go to 16 at this time. Would it make the situation any better. It would not bring down the BE and would lessen the ACC individual schools share of their contracted money with no guaratee not to be poached themselves. If any conference would be poaching the BE in that senario, I would think it would be the Big12-2.

True, but I still hold the belief that eventually the NCAA will write rules for allowing four divisions for a 16 team conference. With the SEC and ACC knocking on the door to 16 teams, all they need is a reason to look at the direction of 16. With the Big East now threatening to create the first Nation wide conference that will have a conference championship, that isn't really something the major conferences will wish to see grow to fruition. They each have their own little fiefdom and such a move by the Big East is a move against the Big Three for sure. With the PAC, ACC and SEC all poised to be able to move to 16 easily they could easily counter the move made by the Big East.

If the ACC grabs Rutgers and UConn in an effort to stifle any Big East growth in an area of the country that the ACC has definitely staked their claim in then that leaves the SEC and the PAC to give their support to an ACC backed plan to have new divisional set ups for 16 team conferences. The ACC would want to crush Big East eastern power so any additions of ECU and Temple or any similiar additions would have a lessened impact due to a nearly obliterated Eastern footprint.

The move towards such was stagnated as we waited a next big move to happen. It has happened and it shall cause repercussions in my opinion. The first being the ACC telling Notre Dame that it is now or never and then going with them and either Rutgers or UConn or simply going with Rutgers and UConn if ND balks.

I could then see the SEC either then giving West Virginia that coveted invite or giving ECU a chance to build up from within the SEC. TCU looks pretty good for the West Division and there you have two full conferences in the ACC and SEC without them poaching on each other at all.

Of course I am reaching here but events certainly are not unfolding in a direction that would not allow for such a scenario to happen.
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2011 11:35 PM by He1nousOne.)
12-07-2011 11:34 PM
Advertisement

War Torn Ruston Offline
Banned

I Root For: Boise State
Depends on The Big East TV deal I am guessing. But with that many TV sets it is possible The Big East gets a deal no one see's coming and they would not wanna jump.
12-07-2011 11:34 PM
He1nousOne Offline

(12-07-2011 11:34 PM)War Torn Ruston Wrote:  Depends on The Big East TV deal I am guessing. But with that many TV sets it is possible The Big East gets a deal no one see's coming and they would not wanna jump.

Another very good reason for the ACC to move quickly, no?
12-07-2011 11:37 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
No its not going to happen esp w/ Notre Dame still being a big time free agent.
12-07-2011 11:56 PM
sierrajip Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
He1nousOne: I just don't see all of the conferences wanting to go to 16. Take the BIG for instance. Right now, the are making big bucks with just the teams they presently have. I don't see them going 16 any time soon unless ND has a change of mind.

War Torn Ruston: Yep. It would have to be a heck of a contract, though.
12-07-2011 11:57 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
(12-07-2011 10:32 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  Is it now time for the ACC to toss its last two invites to Rutgers and UConn? Will they give up on waiting for Notre Dame now that the Big East is showing serious signs of revival and growth?

I would say it is very unlikely that Notre Dame will be leaving the Big East soon. If the ACC was to pull the trigger now, the loss of UConn and Rutgers throws a major twist in the plans of the Big East.

Louisville and UConn bring a better basketball product than Rutgers. Louisville is a better football product than Rutgers. 05-stirthepot
12-08-2011 12:00 AM
Advertisement

The Brown Bull Offline
usf97

I Root For: USF
I don't think some of these folks get it....Besides the dream of landing Notre Dame.....there is nothing left at the table aside from Louisville.....that anyone wants. The table has been picked clean. No offense to everybody left......UConn has a nice BB and soccer program....but nobody really WANTS any of the 5 leftover Big East teams.

I know this going to rub somebody wrong....but right now....Temple offers any conference about the same value as anyone from the Big East. Big market, okay football, good basketball.....sounds identical to Louisville, UConn and Cincy. Rutgers doesn't even offer good basketball. Right now the only thing USF has going for it is the market.
12-08-2011 12:04 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
I really think if they were wanting anyone else, they would have done it by now.
12-08-2011 12:18 AM
SergiofromFresno Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Fresno State
UConn/Rutgers to the ACC..

At the absolute latest would be just about the time their contract is up..
12-08-2011 12:19 AM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
(12-07-2011 10:32 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  Is it now time for the ACC to toss its last two invites to Rutgers and UConn? Will they give up on waiting for Notre Dame now that the Big East is showing serious signs of revival and growth?

You call a league with a 3,000+ mile in conference game a revival?

Uh...... no.

Notre Dame and Rutgers or bust.
12-08-2011 12:24 AM
He1nousOne Offline

(12-08-2011 12:24 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  

You call a league with a 3,000+ mile in conference game a revival?

Uh...... no.

Notre Dame and Rutgers or bust.

If they can sell it to the Networks then you are damn right I call it that. This is a basketball conference making a move entirely based around football. It is all about the money and if they have time to sign the contracts for that money then it is a step in a direction the Archonic Regional power conferences will not like to see.

Do you think it is a decision that Notre Dame will appreciate? Sending its "other" sports teams down to Texas?
12-08-2011 12:38 AM
Advertisement

Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
If the ACC wanted to add Rutgers and UConn, they would've done it already. As long as Notre Dame is an independent, neither the ACC nor Big Ten are making moves. I could see the Big 12 expanding further, but once again, they really wanted 2 Big East schools, they would've added them by now. They're looking for BYU and/or convincing Notre Dame to join for non-football sports.

The inevitability of 16 team conferences is way overstated. It looks nice and clean from a macro view, but it requires micro moves (individual conferences with different financial and academic standards than other ones) that can't be ordered by fiat. Both the Big Ten and ACC need ND to go to 16 and they obviously both can't have the Irish.

As for whether the ACC and Big Ten will get tired of waiting for NF, the answer is absolutely not. As long as ND is a free agent, they'll hold a spot open for them.
12-08-2011 12:39 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns

If the ACC wanted to kill the Big East it would have added Rutgers and UConn when it added Pitt and Cuse OR it could have made that move after the Big XII took TCU and WVU...and for that matter the Big XII would have taken UofL and Cincy if it was a big conspiracy. They didnt want to kill the Big East just make it weaker.
12-08-2011 12:49 AM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
Re: RE: Will the ACC pull the rug out from under the Big East party?
(12-08-2011 12:39 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  If the ACC wanted to add Rutgers and UConn, they would've done it already. As long as Notre Dame is an independent, neither the ACC nor Big Ten are making moves. I could see the Big 12 expanding further, but once again, they really wanted 2 Big East schools, they would've added them by now. They're looking for BYU and/or convincing Notre Dame to join for non-football sports.

The inevitability of 16 team conferences is way overstated. It looks nice and clean from a macro view, but it requires micro moves (individual conferences with different financial and academic standards than other ones) that can't be ordered by fiat. Both the Big Ten and ACC need ND to go to 16 and they obviously both can't have the Irish.

As for whether the ACC and Big Ten will get tired of waiting for NF, the answer is absolutely not. As long as ND is a free agent, they'll hold a spot open for them.

This. Unless Rutgers becomes a power in football and consistently decent in mens bball the ACC nor the Big Ten are coming calling. A market and compatible academics aren't gonna get that done.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2011 12:51 AM by brista21.)
12-08-2011 12:51 AM
Melky Cabrera Offline
Bill Bradley

I Root For: UConn
(12-08-2011 12:04 AM)The Brown Bull Wrote:  I don't think some of these folks get it....Besides the dream of landing Notre Dame.....there is nothing left at the table aside from Louisville.....that anyone wants. The table has been picked clean. No offense to everybody left......UConn has a nice BB and soccer program....but nobody really WANTS any of the 5 leftover Big East teams.

I know this going to rub somebody wrong....but right now....Temple offers any conference about the same value as anyone from the Big East. Big market, okay football, good basketball.....sounds identical to Louisville, UConn and Cincy. Rutgers doesn't even offer good basketball. Right now the only thing USF has going for it is the market.

Temple??? Okay football & good basketball???

Sure. Temple has posted 3 straight winning seasons. But those are their only 3 winning seasons in the past 20 years! UConn has had twice as many winning seasons in the past 8 years as Temple has had in the past 20!!

As good as Temple basketball has been, they haven't been to a Final Four since 1958. They haven't been to an Elite 8 in the past decade. Elite 8's ended when Chaney retired. OTOH, UConn is in the midst of one of the great runs in college basketball history. With 3 national championships & 4 Final fours in the past 13 years, they have accomplished something exceeded by only 4 teams in history - UCLA, Kentucky, & Duke. They are currently one of the elite programs in the country, something which Temple can't claim to be.

Temple sits in a big city but one that is crowded with competition of the attention of the sports fan. UConn is its state's flagship, a state with no pro sports & no other AQ football or high major basketball program in its market.

Temple certainly can't match Louisville in either football or basketball & it can't match Cincinnati or USF in football.

It's not that your post rubs me the wrong way, it's just that it's factually inaccurate.
12-08-2011 12:59 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.