Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big East/ESPN thought
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
Big East/ESPN thought
Just a thought but what if ESPN told the Big East, hey if you add these teams(with the east/west group)- we'll give you $130 million a year right now for a 10 year deal. ....

Would the Big East take it?

From ESPN's perspective-
* locks up Big East Basketball and keeps as viable top tier basketball conference. Maybe even spreads their presence to take over the CBS games.
* gains foothold in 2nd tier football over alliance
* gets championship game with Big East in football

From Big East's perspective-
* certainty with respect to TV money
* ESPN on their side instead of against
* Likely would remain AQ if ESPN was with them.
12-06-2011 01:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Zombiewoof Offline
1st String

I Root For: players
RE: Big East/ESPN thought
How does that relate to the deal they turned down?
12-06-2011 01:15 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

right at the same level....

Thing is, ESPN isn't going to want to lose their basketball. Still a lot of good teams there...
12-06-2011 01:26 AM
onlinepole Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NU & NIU
I'll bet BE leadership is playing ESPN against NBC(Versus) to maximize their leverage and $. You'd think they'd want to get the negotiation rapped up for no other reason than to entice programs that have received invitations to formally announce their acceptance and entrance into the conference.
12-06-2011 01:47 AM
monty Offline

I Root For: SDSU
ACC got way more than they deserved by playing Fox against ESPN and packaging the product. That set the market.
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2011 02:25 AM by monty.)
12-06-2011 02:25 AM
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
ESPN wanted the Big East to take UCF, before Syracuse and Pitt left.
12-06-2011 04:07 AM
Advertisement

RUfan03 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers, MCC
Do we want to continue with a partner that works toward our demise?05-nono
12-06-2011 11:38 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(12-06-2011 11:38 PM)RUfan03 Wrote:  Do we want to continue with a partner that works toward our demise?05-nono

You do if that partner now controls the BCS.
12-06-2011 11:47 PM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
Big East will probably sign with NBC Sports, just a personal hunch
12-06-2011 11:49 PM
ivet Offline
1st String

I Root For: ThePaul, Hoya
(12-06-2011 02:25 AM)monty Wrote:  ACC got way more than they deserved by playing Fox against ESPN and packaging the product. That set the market.

The Pac-12 set the market. By comparison, the ACC got shafted, probably why they wanted to look for some schools to expand their markets

"The (Pac-12) contract, which will begin with the 2012-13 season, will be worth more than $225 million per year -- or $2.7 billion over the life of the deal, Sports Business Daily and The Associated Press reported on Tuesday."

"The ACC recently signed a deal for $155 million a year, and the Big 12 reached a deal with Fox that made its total annual package worth about $130 million.

"The Pac-10, which will be renamed the Pac-12 in July with the additions of Utah and Colorado, topped those deals, as well as the $205 million the SEC gets and the $220 million paid to the Big Ten."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6471380

BE was offered between $110-$130 by ESPN and they felt it was a slap in the face so they rejected it. ESPN probably did not plan this Western Expansion by the BE, they tried to destroy the beast but it grew three fold. Fox and NBC have recently grown major interest with college athletics, look at the side contracts they are doing to air the non-revenue sports and not-premium matchups. after these 10,12 year contracts are over expect to see a major bidding war between the top networks. We are witnessing the last era of ESPN's monopoly on college athletics, that's why they designed the contracts to last as long as possible.
12-07-2011 12:04 AM
OneSockUp Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Alabama
I think what is more likely is that the upcoming media negotiations are going to be the straw that breaks the hybrid model in the Big East.

The football schools need money to justify the taxpayer and alumni monies that have been thrown at football and they will take a deal comparable to the ACC's current deal, but with Versus or Fox. Meanwhile the Big East Catholics, who don't have those football expenses to make up and would rather keep their alumni happy by remaining visible with a great basketball product, will get a deal with ESPN.

The Catholics' deal with ESPN will not be for a ton of money, which works out tremendously for ESPN as the bar would actually be lowered in future negotiations, while the Big East Catholics (presumably plus Xavier and maybe St. Louis or another school or two depending on Notre Dame) could remain in the national spotlight on The Worldwide Leader.
12-07-2011 12:58 AM
Advertisement

DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

I Root For: Southern Miss
(12-06-2011 01:47 AM)onlinepole Wrote:  I'll bet BE leadership is playing ESPN against NBC(Versus) to maximize their leverage and $. You'd think they'd want to get the negotiation rapped up for no other reason than to entice programs that have received invitations to formally announce their acceptance and entrance into the conference.

I think NBC wins out in this round. They really want the BE basketball portion, and I think will offer them the moon for that portion of the sports package. They realize they got burned when they went with the "one school only" contract with Notre Dame football, and can't afford to have it happen again
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2011 01:30 AM by DaSaintFan.)
12-07-2011 01:29 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
So the thinking is that NBC ends up with the Big East, CBS ends up with the MWC-CUSA alliance, and ABC/ESPN keeps everything else?

If so, at least there would be a little more competition in college sports coverage than today.
12-07-2011 01:33 AM
DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

I Root For: Southern Miss
(12-07-2011 01:33 AM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  So the thinking is that NBC ends up with the Big East, CBS ends up with the MWC-CUSA alliance, and ABC/ESPN keeps everything else?

If so, at least there would be a little more competition in college sports coverage than today.

My guess:
NBC = Big East / Notre Dame
FOX = PAC/Alliance/B1G
CBS = SEC / Armed Forces (unless that changes?) / 2nd tier rights not taken by ESPN.
ABC/ESPN = ACC/ top games out of the other conferences.
12-07-2011 01:53 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(12-07-2011 01:29 AM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  
(12-06-2011 01:47 AM)onlinepole Wrote:  I'll bet BE leadership is playing ESPN against NBC(Versus) to maximize their leverage and $. You'd think they'd want to get the negotiation rapped up for no other reason than to entice programs that have received invitations to formally announce their acceptance and entrance into the conference.

I think NBC wins out in this round. They really want the BE basketball portion, and I think will offer them the moon for that portion of the sports package. They realize they got burned when they went with the "one school only" contract with Notre Dame football, and can't afford to have it happen again

You may be right about NBC winning this round, but they have not been "burned" by the "one school only" contract with NBC.

They only pay ND $15 million per year, they have very low production costs and they think that it is a good deal.

Look for NBC to renew the ND deal and sign a Big East deal with ND acting as a broker.
12-07-2011 08:13 AM
ollin Offline
1st String

I Root For: BE
I just don't think Big East would resign it's TV deal with ESPN. There's obvious acrimony between the two after Big East turned down ESPN's offer and BC's AD stated that ESPN wanted Syracuse and Pitt. My guess is that Big East would want more than ACC's TV contract and there's no way ESPN is going to do that. Also NBC/Comcast needs another partner my guess Google/Youtube or Netflix joins in for Big East online rights.
12-07-2011 08:29 AM
Advertisement

Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
(12-07-2011 12:58 AM)OneSockUp Wrote:  I think what is more likely is that the upcoming media negotiations are going to be the straw that breaks the hybrid model in the Big East.

The football schools need money to justify the taxpayer and alumni monies that have been thrown at football and they will take a deal comparable to the ACC's current deal, but with Versus or Fox. Meanwhile the Big East Catholics, who don't have those football expenses to make up and would rather keep their alumni happy by remaining visible with a great basketball product, will get a deal with ESPN.

The Catholics' deal with ESPN will not be for a ton of money, which works out tremendously for ESPN as the bar would actually be lowered in future negotiations, while the Big East Catholics (presumably plus Xavier and maybe St. Louis or another school or two depending on Notre Dame) could remain in the national spotlight on The Worldwide Leader.

Yep, clearly this major expansion is the first move towards a schism because that is how all schisms work - starting with major expansions.

What planet do some of you people live on?
12-07-2011 08:32 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

The thing is- the bball schools won't be unanimous. For one- Notre dame would side with the football schools in the TV- for their partner NBC. So right there the vote would be 9-7.
12-07-2011 08:41 AM
OneSockUp Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Alabama
(12-07-2011 08:32 AM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  Yep, clearly this major expansion is the first move towards a schism because that is how all schisms work - starting with major expansions.

What planet do some of you people live on?

There are no shortage of women out there who think that having a baby will save a marriage. Oregon, Minnesota, and Kansas were all added to the United States in the three years before the Civil War. Those are two examples of misguided thoughts that expansion would bind.

What does Seton Hall have in common with the University of Central Florida? What does Georgetown have in common with the University of Cincinnati? How much should the basketball schools that are revenue positive for the conference (Villanova, Georgetown, Marquette, Notre Dame) have to share in their spoils with the Florida schools, Rutgers, and SMU that make money for the football league but add nothing to the basketball side?

The different goals of the football schools and the Catholic schools will come to a head at some point and I think the most likely time for that division is the media rights negotiations.
12-07-2011 09:04 AM
sierrajip Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
(12-07-2011 08:13 AM)TerryD Wrote:  
(12-07-2011 01:29 AM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  

You may be right about NBC winning this round, but they have not been "burned" by the "one school only" contract with NBC.

They only pay ND $15 million per year, they have very low production costs and they think that it is a good deal.

Look for NBC to renew the ND deal and sign a Big East deal with ND acting as a broker.

This^

The real fun starts when the BIG contract runs out.
12-07-2011 02:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.