Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big Men
Bookmark and Share
AtlantaJag Offline
Beltbbs USA INsider

I Root For: USA Jaguars
Big Men
Ever since the fall signing period ended I've been looking around at JC big men we might try and get with our last scholarship. Here are the candidates I've come across:

Raymon Austin (6'8" 230lbs) from Paris JC. Austin father is a very good heavyweight boxer but his son has chosen the basketball route. He plays for our old friend Chuck Taylor at Paris. He had committed to Seton Hall but ended up not signing with them this fall, although he is quoted as wanting to sign with them in the spring. He is currently averaging 11.3 points, 6.1 rebounds and 1.4 blocks per game.

Chris Patton (6'10 270lbs) from Neosho CC. Will Neosho be the gift that keeps on giving? In the last two years it has given us Antoine Lundy, Trey Anderson and assistant coach Dominique Taylor. Patton is a very big kid from Australia. He is currently averaging 15 points, 12.8 rebounds and .9 blocks per game. He might be best suited for a team that wants to run a methodical half-court offense.

Gregoryshon Magee (6'11 190lbs). Yep, also from Neosho CC. A really skinny left-hander from New Orleans. He's averaging 13.3 points, 7.4 rebounds and 2.4 blocks per game. He would seem to a better fit for a team that likes to run and can even shoot from outside a bit (4 of 6 on threes last year). I hate his photo on the Neosho website - link
12-03-2011 09:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

AtlantaJag Offline
Beltbbs USA INsider

RE: Big Men
(12-03-2011 09:42 AM)AtlantaJag Wrote:  Ever since the fall signing period ended I've been looking around at JC big men we might try and get with our last scholarship. Here are the candidates I've come across:

Raymon Austin (6'8" 230lbs) from Paris JC. Austin father is a very good heavyweight boxer but his son has chosen the basketball route. He plays for our old friend Chuck Taylor at Paris. He had committed to Seton Hall but ended up not signing with them this fall, although he is quoted as wanting to sign with them in the spring. He is currently averaging 11.3 points, 6.1 rebounds and 1.4 blocks per game.

Chris Patton (6'10 270lbs) from Neosho CC. Will Neosho be the gift that keeps on giving? In the last two years it has given us Antoine Lundy, Trey Anderson and assistant coach Dominique Taylor. Patton is a very big kid from Australia. He is currently averaging 15 points, 12.8 rebounds and .9 blocks per game. He might be best suited for a team that wants to run a methodical half-court offense.

Gregoryshon Magee (6'11 190lbs). Yep, also from Neosho CC. A really skinny left-hander from New Orleans. He's averaging 13.3 points, 7.4 rebounds and 2.4 blocks per game. He would seem to a better fit for a team that likes to run and can even shoot from outside a bit (4 of 6 on threes last year). I hate his photo on the Neosho website - link

Yes, I'm relying to my own post because this is a separate, but related, topic. While it has seemed for several seasons that we needed a true 5 so that Rubit can play the 4 full time, has the emergence of Javier Carter changed that need? If we bring in a true big man, that means that to play him Carter must move to the bench. After the way he's played recently, i just can't see moving JC out of the starting lineup. We have the luxury of waiting and seeing how the season plays out, but maybe finding a prep point guard will make more sense when the spring signing period rolls around.
12-03-2011 09:46 AM
BLEEDITRED Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
Magee's picture reminds me of last year's issues for some reason.

I think it all depends. If we could somehow land Patton, I'd be all for that. If you can improve at a position, you do it. We need size. Rotate them based on need. I wouldn't be worried about the kind of offense. If we're in transition, we're not typically relying on the big guy to be there to score anyway.
12-03-2011 12:34 PM
cb960 Offline
Water Engineer

(12-03-2011 09:46 AM)AtlantaJag Wrote:  
(12-03-2011 09:42 AM)AtlantaJag Wrote:  Ever since the fall signing period ended I've been looking around at JC big men we might try and get with our last scholarship. Here are the candidates I've come across:

Yes, I'm relying to my own post because this is a separate, but related, topic. While it has seemed for several seasons that we needed a true 5 so that Rubit can play the 4 full time, has the emergence of Javier Carter changed that need? If we bring in a true big man, that means that to play him Carter must move to the bench. After the way he's played recently, i just can't see moving JC out of the starting lineup. We have the luxury of waiting and seeing how the season plays out, but maybe finding a prep point guard will make more sense when the spring signing period rolls around.

Carter has played so well that I think we have the luxury of not signing a kid just because he's big but because he's big AND talented AND fit's CRA's schemes.
12-03-2011 01:50 PM
AtlantaJag Offline
Beltbbs USA INsider

(12-03-2011 12:34 PM)BLEEDITRED Wrote:  Magee's picture reminds me of last year's issues for some reason.

I think it all depends. If we could somehow land Patton, I'd be all for that. If you can improve at a position, you do it. We need size. Rotate them based on need. I wouldn't be worried about the kind of offense. If we're in transition, we're not typically relying on the big guy to be there to score anyway.

That perfectly captures why I don't like that picture.
12-03-2011 02:43 PM
Advertisement

usmgh Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: G5
(12-03-2011 02:43 PM)AtlantaJag Wrote:  
(12-03-2011 12:34 PM)BLEEDITRED Wrote:  Magee's picture reminds me of last year's issues for some reason.

That perfectly captures why I don't like that picture.
Since Dominique Taylor coached Magee last year, if we recruit him, I'll feel pretty comfortable that he isn't the type of player that railroaded last season.

That will carry more weight with me than his picture on the website.
12-04-2011 03:30 PM
usmgh Offline
Bench Warmer

Last year on a loaded College of Southern Idaho team, Chris Patton averaged 6.9 ppg (58% from the field) and 4.6 rpg in 12.7 minutes. That's a very productive 12 and a half minutes a game.

Last year Gregoryshon Magee averaged 9.9 ppg, 8 rpg and 3.1 bpg. He showed some shooting touch last year as well, hitting 78% from the charity stripe and 4 of 6 threes.

The way I look at it, we'd get more production out of Chris Patton and Gregoryshon "Slim" Magee than we will out of Andre Gowins and Deandre Hersey.
12-05-2011 09:50 AM
Cat13 Offline
Water Engineer

Well, we definately need a big for next year. Right now, Lundy(our only Senior) is out best inside scorer. Neosho would seem to be the pipe line.
12-08-2011 04:29 PM
usmgh Offline
Bench Warmer

(12-08-2011 04:29 PM)Cat13 Wrote:  Well, we definately need a big for next year. Right now, Lundy(our only Senior) is out best inside scorer. Neosho would seem to be the pipe line.

The highlights for Patton start 10:28 in...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ4RY4g1TUI
12-08-2011 05:07 PM
Advertisement

EAGLEJAG65 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: USA JAGUARS
How many 1 and 2 position players do we have now?

How many 3 and 4 position players do we have now?

How many 5 position players do we have?

I mean true position players. Not placing them because of their athletic ability and trying to fit them in where they don't belong. True players by size and ability to position?

I want to see us compete with the big boys.......and, that requires some big boys...with skills.
12-09-2011 11:40 PM
jcljag Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: south alabama
AJ..Do we have a legit shot at any of these guys you mentioned?
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2011 07:31 AM by jcljag.)
12-10-2011 07:30 AM
AtlantaJag Offline
Beltbbs USA INsider

At the moment we do, but between now and May a lot can change. Their stocks can go sky high with a great year and other programs who wouldn't have looked at them before may have some transfers/defections and will unexpectedly be in the big, experienced player market.
12-10-2011 07:33 AM
EAGLEJAG65 Offline
Bench Warmer

So our only way to secure a committment from any one of them is that they show no improvement as basketball players? The reason being....that if they show good talent and improvement, that a big time program will swoop down and put them on their team.

If another big time program might find them to have become potentionally worthy of a scholarship ..why couldn't we.

However, if they don't show that required improvement to get selected to that big time institution, isn't that why we have coaches. Can't our coaches take one or more of them and "coach them up". I think that is why they are called "coach".

Darn it! That's what confuses me most about some ....coaches.
12-10-2011 05:52 PM
Advertisement

EAGLEJAG65 Offline
Bench Warmer

BTW. If I'm not mistaken.....haven't we played a few teams this year that had a couple of big men and we lost to three of them. Fla State. Miss State and USM.

We did play a great game against LSU though.

One in four isn't bad.....so far.
12-11-2011 03:26 PM
AtlantaJag Offline
Beltbbs USA INsider

Don't forget UAB and 6'9" Cameron Moore, the CUSA Preseason POY. And we owned them because they don't have good play at the smaller positions.
12-11-2011 05:28 PM
EAGLEJAG65 Offline
Bench Warmer

Sorry about that. Two out of five......OK.
12-11-2011 08:55 PM
grandbayjohn Offline
Water Engineer

(12-11-2011 08:55 PM)EAGLEJAG65 Wrote:  Sorry about that. Two out of five......OK.

We didn't lose to Southern Miss because of rebounding. We beat them everywhere except the three. I believe coach Price is out looking to fix that part of the program now. Rubit, Lundy, & Carter can stand up to anyone in the Sunbelt, and, probably, do pretty well against the best of the rest. Turnovers, low threes, and lax perimeter defense has been the crux of our problems thus far.
12-12-2011 09:15 PM
Advertisement

EAGLEJAG65 Offline
Bench Warmer

Are you saying that this years team is guilty of some of what last years team had as problems.

It would seem that we could eventurally solve our problems.
12-15-2011 12:50 AM
JagOfClubs Offline
Water Engineer

(12-15-2011 12:50 AM)EAGLEJAG65 Wrote:  Are you saying that this years team is guilty of some of what last years team had as problems.

It would seem that we could eventurally solve our problems.

I think it's fair to say that we haven't remedied every flaw in our game, but it's unfair not to recognize the vast improvement over last year. Last year we get embarrassed by LSU at home, this year we beat them on the road. Last year we get completely blown away by Southern Miss. This year we make a run at them in spite of their 65% 3-pt shooting. Do we still have some areas to improve? Absolutely. Is there any comparison between this year and last year? Only in a positive way.

I'm not asking CRA to "solve our problems" 8 games into a season with so many new players, but I am asking him to show significant improvement over last year's disaster. And FSU aside, I think he's done that.
12-15-2011 07:23 AM
EAGLEJAG65 Offline
Bench Warmer

So far....the indications may be that you are right. He may have this group of (talented) guys moving in the right direction.

Onward!
12-15-2011 12:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.