Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

100 Watt and up bulbs, stock up
Bookmark and Share
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU
100 Watt and up bulbs, stock up
As of Jan 1st, the traditional 100 watt bulb will no longer be sold. Need to stock up. Switching to Mercury filled bulbs is a danger. Thought our government was supposed to protect us. I have broken a couple o bulbs in my house and cleaning it scared the crap out of me. Now I am older and closer to death but having my kids exposed to it is a little upsetting. Have you read the disposal instructions if you break one of these bulbs?

I was listening to a radio show and one of the callers mentioned that everyone should go into their congressional office or senate office and break one of the bulbs. This would shut the office down for hours. Probably would get arrested.
12-02-2011 09:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
RE: 100 Watt and up bulbs, stock up
(12-02-2011 09:13 AM)klake87 Wrote:  As of Jan 1st, the traditional 100 watt bulb will no longer be sold. Need to stock up. Switching to Mercury filled bulbs is a danger. Thought our government was supposed to protect us. I have broken a couple o bulbs in my house and cleaning it scared the crap out of me. Now I am older and closer to death but having my kids exposed to it is a little upsetting. Have you read the disposal instructions if you break one of these bulbs?

I was listening to a radio show and one of the callers mentioned that everyone should go into their congressional office or senate office and break one of the bulbs. This would shut the office down for hours. Probably would get arrested.

I bought a couple cases of 100-watt bulbs a few months ago. I'm stocked for many years now - maybe the rest of my life. When the a-holes ban the lower wattage incandescents, I'll stock up on those too.
12-02-2011 09:17 AM
Rock Bottom Offline
All American

I Root For:
Another example of BOTH parties being morons with this legislation (Bush signed this into law). If I want to pay extra for electricity because incandescent cost more I should be able to do so. CFL just don't work well for some things. This sucks.
12-02-2011 03:20 PM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(12-02-2011 03:20 PM)Rock Bottom Wrote:  Another example of BOTH parties being morons with this legislation (Bush signed this into law). If I want to pay extra for electricity because incandescent cost more I should be able to do so. CFL just don't work well for some things. This sucks.

Correct. I have not found a CFL bulb I like. Their beef is that incandescents use too much energy and throw out too much heat. So what? What if I want that heat to help heat my house? If I am willing to pay for it, I should be able to have it. The bulbs have been good enough since the time of Edison, and they will be good enough for me for the rest of my life. No CFL crap for me!
12-02-2011 04:04 PM
huskiealum03 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU & Go Go Sox
(12-02-2011 03:20 PM)Rock Bottom Wrote:  If I want to pay extra for electricity because incandescent cost more I should be able to do so.

one of the largest overall consumer of energy are buildings. i know you want to pay extra for electricity, but when you look at big picture and see an entire population doing this, it is a massive consumer of our country's electricity.

i swear everyone wants something to complain about. i know its a hassle to all of you but this is low hanging fruit in energy conservation
12-02-2011 07:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

Like electric cars, let consumers decide. Don't stop production in u.s. because some feel it is best. It is my money. Now if u r talking the uneployed or people on welfare, well they should be forced to use the new bulbs
12-02-2011 11:02 PM
Advertisement

Rock Bottom Offline
All American

I Root For:
(12-02-2011 07:36 PM)huskiealum03 Wrote:  
(12-02-2011 03:20 PM)Rock Bottom Wrote:  If I want to pay extra for electricity because incandescent cost more I should be able to do so.

one of the largest overall consumer of energy are buildings. i know you want to pay extra for electricity, but when you look at big picture and see an entire population doing this, it is a massive consumer of our country's electricity.

i swear everyone wants something to complain about. i know its a hassle to all of you but this is low hanging fruit in energy conservation

Wait until there is a mercury problem decades from now due to the millions of improperly disposed of bulbs.
12-03-2011 12:02 AM
niuguy Offline
The first in, last out!

LOL

This whole "light bulb crises" is such a stupid thing to get worked up over. You guys are getting sucked into this nonsense by partisan idiots.

10 years from now nobody is gonna give a ****. Hell, 2 years from now.

And, actual question, where do people use 100 watt bulbs? I've been using 60 watt bulbs in my apartment and its perfect. 100 would so bright!
12-03-2011 04:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-03-2011 04:34 PM)niuguy Wrote:  LOL

This whole "light bulb crises" is such a stupid thing to get worked up over. You guys are getting sucked into this nonsense by partisan idiots.

And, actual question, where do people use 100 watt bulbs? I've been using 60 watt bulbs in my apartment and its perfect. 100 would so bright!

Its my god given right! Lol
12-03-2011 06:06 PM
BleedsHuskieRed Offline
All American

Donators
How much mercury is even in those things? I've never felt scared cleaning one up if it breaks. Hell I have thrown the big florescent in the trash to watch them break.
12-03-2011 07:55 PM
HuskieRak Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU! NIU! NIU!
never knew light bulbs would create such a big debate
12-03-2011 11:38 PM
Advertisement

Rock Bottom Offline
All American

I Root For:

60 watts will be out too - they are just starting with the 100 watt. And this isn't a partisan thing. Bush signed the law, and the Dem controlled Congress didn't go along with the override last year, so both parties are equally to blame for it.
12-04-2011 02:50 AM
niuguy Offline
The first in, last out!

(12-04-2011 02:50 AM)Rock Bottom Wrote:  

60 watts will be out too - they are just starting with the 100 watt. And this isn't a partisan thing. Bush signed the law, and the Dem controlled Congress didn't go along with the override last year, so both parties are equally to blame for it.

I was just wondering where and when people use 100 watt bulbs, is all. I'll admit im not using CFLs. I would if I was planning on staying in my apartment longer and I didn't already, for some odd reason, have a bunch of 60 watt bulbs.

About the light, my parents have switched over to all CFL and the light looks, to me, as it always has in there.
12-04-2011 11:16 AM
huskiealum03 Offline
Heisman

(12-03-2011 07:55 PM)BleedsHuskieRed Wrote:  How much mercury is even in those things? I've never felt scared cleaning one up if it breaks. Hell I have thrown the big florescent in the trash to watch them break.

coal power plants also produce mercury. so if you save energy, you do have mercury in fluorescent bulbs, but you are reducing the mercury and any other heavy metals being produced by coal plants.
12-04-2011 11:28 AM
niuguy Offline
The first in, last out!

(12-04-2011 11:28 AM)huskiealum03 Wrote:  
(12-03-2011 07:55 PM)BleedsHuskieRed Wrote:  How much mercury is even in those things? I've never felt scared cleaning one up if it breaks. Hell I have thrown the big florescent in the trash to watch them break.

coal power plants also produce mercury. so if you save energy, you do have mercury in fluorescent bulbs, but you are reducing the mercury and any other heavy metals being produced by coal plants.

Lets not forgot, many of the people who use the mercury argument are pro-coal. /facepalm
12-04-2011 11:31 AM
BobL Offline
Heisman

LED's are the way to go...kinda expensive right now but the technology gets better every year and cost comes down. They use a fraction of the energy and last 30,000 hours.

By the way I have not used a 100 watt bulb in ages.
12-04-2011 09:56 PM
Advertisement

huskiealum03 Offline
Heisman

(12-04-2011 09:56 PM)BobL Wrote:  LED's are the way to go...kinda expensive right now but the technology gets better every year and cost comes down. They use a fraction of the energy and last 30,000 hours.

By the way I have not used a 100 watt bulb in ages.

at this stage in the technology curve, you will never get the payback on LEDs. it is a great technology, but cost has a long way to go
12-04-2011 11:43 PM
GeorgeBorkFan Offline
All American

I Root For:
(12-04-2011 09:56 PM)BobL Wrote:  By the way I have not used a 100 watt bulb in ages.

I have them in my outside fixtures.

CFL's don't do well in cold, so that is why I use them outside.

And, CFL's don't do well in an application where they are cycled on and off frequently. It shortens their life significantly.
12-05-2011 09:14 AM
NIU17 Offline
All American

(12-05-2011 09:14 AM)GeorgeBorkFan Wrote:  
(12-04-2011 09:56 PM)BobL Wrote:  By the way I have not used a 100 watt bulb in ages.

And, CFL's don't do well in an application where they are cycled on and off frequently. It shortens their life significantly.
IS that true or just initially? I have them in my garage and when it is cold they do take a while to get bright. But they eventually do.
12-05-2011 01:16 PM
BobL Offline
Heisman

(12-05-2011 09:14 AM)GeorgeBorkFan Wrote:  

CFL's have many drawbacks...i use them only indoors and rooms where lights tend to stay on and do not require dimming.

As to LED's the costs have dropped dramatically in the last 3 years. Three years ago, we had looked at specifying them for a new project that was seeking LEED certification. The first costs were prohibitive...more than $75 per lamp(for PAR30 lamp, like a flood) now costs are less than $30(for non-dimmable, dimmable LED's are about $50)

For similar light output to a incandescent 60 watt lamp, a 7 watt LED is required and lasts 20x longer than the incandescent.

Current simple payback are about 5 years.
12-05-2011 01:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.