Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big East Champions
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL
Big East Champions
Congrats to the Cardinals on their 2nd Big East football championship! Now, who joins the Cardinals? I doubt this will be an outright title and it may end up like 2004 with a 4 way tie.

Whether it turns out to benefit or harm the Cards I've never been a big fan of co-champions, at least in a 2 way tie. Since that's how the league does it though, Strong wins at least a co-title in year 2 after the 3 year period in the desert.
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2011 02:37 PM by CollegeCard.)
11-25-2011 02:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
RE: Big East Champions
If Rutgers wins tomorrow we're co-champs with you but since we're not going to the BCS it doesn't count in my book.
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2011 02:39 PM by brista21.)
11-25-2011 02:39 PM
Gopper Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Cards
I would have waited till after Pitt + Cinci lose, but meh u know how some people jump the gun
11-25-2011 02:40 PM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-25-2011 02:40 PM)Gopper Wrote:  I would have waited till after Pitt + Cinci lose, but meh u know how some people jump the gun

Ha ha, I didn't say we were BCS bound. We are league champs, even if I wish the league broke ties to declare a champion and half the league can still tie us!
11-25-2011 02:44 PM
SmallVoice Offline
Silly String

I Root For: Louisville
We've won at least a share of the title, but to me it doesn't count unless we actually go to the BCS bowl. I'm still holding out hope.
11-25-2011 02:47 PM
army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
From my preseason expectations.....

1. Beat UK 04-rock
2. Beat UC 03-no
3. Beat WVU 04-rock
4. Win 8 regular season games (missed it by a game, darn!)
5. Win conference 04-rock
6. Win Bowl game - (Yet to be determined)
7. Finish in Top 25 - (HIGHLY unlikely)

Definite tangible improvement. Last year we met only one of my goals. They are the same each season. I like where this is going. And we have such a young team.
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2011 02:58 PM by army56mike.)
11-25-2011 02:54 PM
Advertisement

ollin Offline
1st String

I Root For: BE
Big East was the laughing stock last year with an 8-4 team making the BCS. A 7-5 team making the BCS will just polarize the Big East even further. There's still multiple scenarios where other teams can still go to the BCS but Louisville has a clear advantage with wins against Rutgers and WVU. Cincy needs to win the last two games and that does not look good.
11-25-2011 02:55 PM
bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
Louisville Cardinals are Big East Champions, it does count. While an undisputed championship and a bcs bid are the real prize. Winning championship at any level isn't easy.

If UC can figure out a way to win the next two, I will happy to share it with everone.
11-25-2011 02:55 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
L-Yes...we are BIG EAST Champions...not the BCS Rep but BIG EAST Football Champs...now we are either going to Miami-(ORANGE BOWL)...or Charlotte-(BELK BOWL)...Charlie Strong is the Coach of the Year...2nd youngest team in FBS & now BIG EAST champs.
11-25-2011 03:16 PM
TUJim Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Temple U
Does the Big East recognize co-champs or would identical records then look at haed to head competition? My father-in-law is a big Rutgers fan and he and I were trying to figure out the scenarios.
11-25-2011 04:46 PM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-25-2011 04:46 PM)TUJim Wrote:  Does the Big East recognize co-champs or would identical records then look at haed to head competition? My father-in-law is a big Rutgers fan and he and I were trying to figure out the scenarios.

Yes, the league definitely recognizes co-champs. Rutgers can claim that if they win tomorrow. Maybe it makes more sense in a year with more than 2 teams tied, but everyone is a co-champ, even UConn in 2007 when they tied WVU at 5-2, despite the fact that WVU rolled them 66-21.
11-25-2011 04:56 PM
Advertisement

TUJim Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Temple U
(11-25-2011 04:56 PM)CollegeCard Wrote:  
(11-25-2011 04:46 PM)TUJim Wrote:  Does the Big East recognize co-champs or would identical records then look at haed to head competition? My father-in-law is a big Rutgers fan and he and I were trying to figure out the scenarios.

Yes, the league definitely recognizes co-champs. Rutgers can claim that if they win tomorrow. Maybe it makes more sense in a year with more than 2 teams tied, but everyone is a co-champ, even UConn in 2007 when they tied WVU at 5-2, despite the fact that WVU rolled them 66-21.
Thanks for the information
11-25-2011 05:06 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
(11-25-2011 02:55 PM)ollin Wrote:  Big East was the laughing stock last year with an 8-4 team making the BCS. A 7-5 team making the BCS will just polarize the Big East even further. There's still multiple scenarios where other teams can still go to the BCS but Louisville has a clear advantage with wins against Rutgers and WVU. Cincy needs to win the last two games and that does not look good.

Why wasnt the ACC a laughing stock when they sent an 8-4 FSU to the Orange Bowl 6 years ago in 2005? VT went 9-4 3 years ago and FSU did the same in '02. Stanford, Cuse, Purdue and Pitt all went 8-3 in previous years. So why was last year so bad? Because it was a team without a long standing reputation in CFB?
11-25-2011 05:16 PM
ollin Offline
1st String

I Root For: BE
(11-25-2011 05:16 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  
(11-25-2011 02:55 PM)ollin Wrote:  Big East was the laughing stock last year with an 8-4 team making the BCS. A 7-5 team making the BCS will just polarize the Big East even further. There's still multiple scenarios where other teams can still go to the BCS but Louisville has a clear advantage with wins against Rutgers and WVU. Cincy needs to win the last two games and that does not look good.

Why wasnt the ACC a laughing stock when they sent an 8-4 FSU to the Orange Bowl 6 years ago in 2005? VT went 9-4 3 years ago and FSU did the same in '02. Stanford, Cuse, Purdue and Pitt all went 8-3 in previous years. So why was last year so bad? Because it was a team without a long standing reputation in CFB?
Simple the media and the perception that the Big East is the worst of the BCS conferences. If the Cards do make the Orange bowl, they earned it. Problem is the press and ESPN specifically will continue to rag on the Big East and how they don't deserve a AQ bid in the future.
11-25-2011 05:30 PM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-25-2011 05:30 PM)ollin Wrote:  Problem is the press and ESPN specifically will continue to rag on the Big East and how they don't deserve a AQ bid in the future.

That's true. Of course the league rep will get trashed for the next month no matter who it is. Perhaps Rutgers or WVU if they are 9-3 and earn the bid are only trashed for 9.5 out of every 10 minutes of Big East talk, compared to 9.9 out of 10 minutes for UofL.
11-25-2011 05:41 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(11-25-2011 02:37 PM)CollegeCard Wrote:  Congrats to the Cardinals on their 2nd Big East football championship! Now, who joins the Cardinals? I doubt this will be an outright title and it may end up like 2004 with a 4 way tie.

Whether it turns out to benefit or harm the Cards I've never been a big fan of co-champions, at least in a 2 way tie. Since that's how the league does it though, Strong wins at least a co-title in year 2 after the 3 year period in the desert.

You can't congratulate your own team. That is against the rules.
11-25-2011 06:35 PM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
As of now you've clinched being Big East Co-Champions, not Champions.
11-25-2011 07:55 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(11-25-2011 07:55 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  As of now you've clinched being Big East Co-Champions, not Champions.

We get a trophy...in 2007 the "Official BIG EAST Champions" were UConn & WVU...both got trophies.

The same thing did happen in the Big Ten as late as last year. The Ohio State University, Wisconsin & Michigan State were the Big Ten Champions...Wisconsin got the BCS Bid but all 3 got trophies.

We are in the clubhouse and done...@ worst we clinch a trip to Charlotte but are hoping for something a little warmer...can you say "South Beach"...juz say'n.
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2011 08:12 PM by Maize.)
11-25-2011 08:11 PM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
Co-champs are still champs; they just aren't outright champs. I miss that with the new set-up in the Big Ten. I loved how hard it was to win an outright championship and special that was when you were able to do it.
11-25-2011 09:27 PM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-25-2011 08:11 PM)Maize Wrote:  We are in the clubhouse and done...@ worst we clinch a trip to Charlotte but are hoping for something a little warmer...can you say "South Beach"...juz say'n.

UofL could end up dropping to the Compass Bowl in Birmingham. If WVU ended up in Miami, then yes we're the 2nd most desirable fan base and I think we end up in Charlotte. If say Pitt took the BCS bid, look for Charlotte to jump on WVU a final time and then we fit in Birmingham better than anywhere else based on geography and not duplicating last year's bowl.
11-25-2011 09:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.