Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What a playoff system should look like
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
What a playoff system should look like
The 25 teams in the BCS standings, at the end of the regular season, get in. The #24 and #25 teams battle it out for the last spot. If the season ended today here is how it would look.

[Image: 376343_128611913915383_100002997257374_1...0803_n.jpg]

There are 4 regions and 4 BCS bowls. See where I'm going? The Fiesta and Rose alternate one final 4 spot, likewise the Orange and Sugar alternate hosting the other final 4 spot. The title game rotates though all 4.

What becomes of other bowls? They make deals with conferences. This becomes the post season NIT of basketball. Teams that got snubbed, or are simply bowl eligible get in. This way everyone is happy. Bowls continue to get money, and there is a playoff system.

What do you guys think of it? 04-cheers
11-23-2011 07:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

darkdragon99 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: geography
RE: What a playoff system should look like
If it will stop the madness of teams like Boise State and San Diego State trying to get into the Big east then I'm all for it.
11-23-2011 07:44 PM
Mestophalies Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF
(11-23-2011 07:40 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  The 25 teams in the BCS standings, at the end of the regular season, get in. The #24 and #25 teams battle it out for the last spot. If the season ended today here is how it would look.

There are 4 regions and 4 BCS bowls. See where I'm going? The Fiesta and Rose alternate one final 4 spot, likewise the Orange and Sugar alternate hosting the other final 4 spot. The title game rotates though all 4.

What becomes of other bowls? They make deals with conferences. This becomes the post season NIT of basketball. Teams that got snubbed, or are simply bowl eligible get in. This way everyone is happy. Bowls continue to get money, and there is a playoff system.

What do you guys think of it? 04-cheers

I'm all for a playoff system but, the +1 system simply isn't adequate. This would give real meaning to being in the top 25. 02-13-banana
(This post was last modified: 11-23-2011 07:52 PM by Mestophalies.)
11-23-2011 07:47 PM
TomThumb Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: stuff
Oklahoma State and Virginia Tech in the Rose Bowl? Yeah, that's going to fly with the folks in Pasadena.

Why even bother using bowls at that point? A OSU/VT matchup has absolutely nothing to do with the tradition or history of the Rose Bowl. It's like advertising the RRSO and then having KSU play Baylor.
11-23-2011 08:12 PM
Advertisement

OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

(11-23-2011 08:12 PM)TomThumb Wrote:  Oklahoma State and Virginia Tech in the Rose Bowl? Yeah, that's going to fly with the folks in Pasadena.

Why even bother using bowls at that point? A OSU/VT matchup has absolutely nothing to do with the tradition or history of the Rose Bowl. It's like advertising the RRSO and then having KSU play Baylor.

I just put the bowls down randomly calm the f@ck down. 03-lmfao
11-23-2011 08:15 PM
vinman3 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: WVU & Big 12
You'll never get a 25 team playoff.

You'll never get my suggestion either, but it should be a 16 team playoff, with the 11 conference champions getting automatic bids, with 5 at large. Those left out of the playoffs could take their team to a bowl game. That gives you the best of both worlds.
11-23-2011 08:18 PM
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

(11-23-2011 08:18 PM)vinman3 Wrote:  You'll never get a 25 team playoff.

You'll never get my suggestion either, but it should be a 16 team playoff, with the 11 conference champions getting automatic bids, with 5 at large. Those left out of the playoffs could take their team to a bowl game. That gives you the best of both worlds.

That works too. I was just trying to find a way to get the entire top 25 into the playoffs.
11-23-2011 08:20 PM
Advertisement

BeagleUSM Offline
Thrillsville

I Root For: Southern Miss
(11-23-2011 07:40 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  The 25 teams in the BCS standings, at the end of the regular season, get in. The #24 and #25 teams battle it out for the last spot. If the season ended today here is how it would look.

What do you guys think of it? :cheers:

I disagree with that system, but you're pretty close to want I want

I DO agree with the following part: "What becomes of other bowls? They make deals with conferences. This becomes the post season NIT of basketball. Teams that got snubbed, or are simply bowl eligible get in. This way everyone is happy. Bowls continue to get money, and there is a playoff system."

Here is my idea:

- 16 team playoff (Single elimination, of course)
- 11 conference champions make up the field along with 5 at large bids.
- 1st and 2nd rounds are hosted at highest seeds

Here is how it would look like with this year's results:

1. LSU (SEC Champion) vs. 16. Arkansas State (SBC Champion)
8. Houston (C-USA Champion) vs. 9. Oklahoma (At large)
4. Oklahoma State (B12 Champion) vs. 13. TCU (MWC Champion)
5. Virginia Tech (ACC Champion) vs. 12. Louisville (Big East Champion)
2. Alabama (At large) vs. 15. Northern Illinois (MAC Champion)
7. Boise State (At large) vs. 10. Oregon (PAC 12 Champion)
3. Arkansas (At large) vs. 14. Louisiana Tech (WAC Champion)
6. Stanford (At large) vs. 11. Penn State (B1G Champion)

11-23-2011 08:38 PM
MinerEric Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UTEP
Skip the "bowl" part of this and I like what is going on here.

North/South/East/West divisions etc.

But yes, a 24 team playoff is the way to go however, this leaves the bowls out in the cold.

16 is ideal because it keeps the other bowls happy. I'm not sure how happy they'd be but - whatever.
(This post was last modified: 11-23-2011 09:03 PM by MinerEric.)
11-23-2011 09:00 PM
Blaster Offline
Bench Warmer

I would prefer the top 8 for a playoff. first 2 rounds played at higher seeds place

Houston @ LSU
BSU at Bama
Stanford @ Ark
VT @ OSU

You get the best 8 schools in the country. A playoff but keep it refined enough to keep the regular season important.
Makes it so loosing a game could knock you out of the playoff picture rather than just lowering your seeding at the end of the year.(ex. oklahoma, Oregon)
Most non aq's can make the top 8 undeafeated or with 1 loss, so as long as you take care of business on the field your fine. I could live with 16 but 8 seems just right to me. strong teams and short n sweet. Also in no way should conf. champs make it automatically, top 8 or bust
11-23-2011 09:14 PM
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(11-23-2011 09:14 PM)Blaster Wrote:  I would prefer the top 8 for a playoff. first 2 rounds played at higher seeds place

Houston @ LSU
BSU at Bama
Stanford @ Ark
VT @ OSU

You get the best 8 schools in the country. A playoff but keep it refined enough to keep the regular season important.
Makes it so loosing a game could knock you out of the playoff picture rather than just lowering your seeding at the end of the year.(ex. oklahoma, Oregon)
Most non aq's can make the top 8 undeafeated or with 1 loss, so as long as you take care of business on the field your fine. I could live with 16 but 8 seems just right to me. strong teams and short n sweet. Also in no way should conf. champs make it automatically, top 8 or bust

I tend to agree --> 8 is enough
I'm not comfortable with the polls selecting the top 8 though. I mean, who says the SEC deserves 3/8, while no other conference gets more than 1? You think you know the SEC is best, but are they REALLY that much better?
11-24-2011 10:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TOGC Offline
Resident genius

I Root For: Memphis
24 is a bad number. Take 16 or take 32.

I'd prefer 32, since that's roughly the number of teams that currently make bowl games anyway. The playoffs would be done in five weeks. Take every single conference champion as an AQ team, and make the rest at-large bids just like the basketball tournament. Use a system like RPI to determine rankings. It would force teams to look a little bit more seriously at their out of conference schedule.
11-24-2011 11:07 PM
RUNVSFD MINER Offline
The voice in your head...See?

I Root For: UTEP
I like the concept as drawn up.

But I also suspect that extending a season by up to an additional 5 games would be opposed by those who feel the season would be too long. Player durability/injuries may be seen as an obstacle. Maybe it's a non-issue.
11-24-2011 11:47 PM
TOGC Offline
Resident genius

I Root For: Memphis
(11-24-2011 11:47 PM)RUNVSFD MINER Wrote:  I like the concept as drawn up.

But I also suspect that extending a season by up to an additional 5 games would be opposed by those who feel the season would be too long. Player durability/injuries may be seen as an obstacle. Maybe it's a non-issue.

FCS teams already do it, and they do it with fewer scholarship players.
11-25-2011 01:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.