Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Another one bites the dust????NOPE another one adds FOOTBALL
Bookmark and Share
missletoe9 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: ETSU
Another one bites the dust????NOPE another one adds FOOTBALL
Here is another D-1AA school adding football.....and they were a former ASUN school to boot

http://www.hbuhuskies.com/news/2011/11/2...co.twitter
11-21-2011 06:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

slappywhite Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: etsu
RE: Another one bites the dust????NOPE another one adds FOOTBALL
(11-21-2011 06:01 PM)missletoe9 Wrote:  Here is another D-1AA school adding football.....and they were a former ASUN school to boot

private school that costs student 25-30K per year to attend...not to mention its in the middle of houston, tx. apples and oranges as it pertains to etsu. but good for them. with their mens bball winning 5 or 6 games and the women winning 5 or 6 games in 2010 and the only team with a winning record is volleyball...they need to add something
11-21-2011 10:34 PM
missletoe9 Offline
Water Engineer

Slappy,

So its a private school, whoopitty doo. So is Brevard and they have 2000 students and wait for it....A FOOTBALL Team. My point was that they added the sport, not dropped it like dr stanton said would be the norm in 2003 and beyond.
11-22-2011 12:24 PM
Advertisement

slappywhite Offline
Special Teams

(11-22-2011 12:24 PM)missletoe9 Wrote:  Slappy,

So its a private school, whoopitty doo. So is Brevard and they have 2000 students and wait for it....A FOOTBALL Team. My point was that they added the sport, not dropped it like dr stanton said would be the norm in 2003 and beyond.

thats a great point. you should take that message to the new president along with your funding formulas, community support partners and ideas on where to play. good luck with your quest...
11-22-2011 01:43 PM
abuc90 Offline
Special Teams

insert field of dreams reference here.....
11-22-2011 01:55 PM
Advertisement

ReturnOfMommaBear Offline
2nd String

(11-21-2011 10:34 PM)slappywhite Wrote:  
(11-21-2011 06:01 PM)missletoe9 Wrote:  Here is another D-1AA school adding football.....and they were a former ASUN school to boot

private school that costs student 25-30K per year to attend...not to mention its in the middle of houston, tx. apples and oranges as it pertains to etsu. but good for them. with their mens bball winning 5 or 6 games and the women winning 5 or 6 games in 2010 and the only team with a winning record is volleyball...they need to add something

Slappy, will there ever be a time that you won't Poo-Poo something positive related to football? What would it take to hear something positive from you other than tooting your own imaginary horn about how brilliant you seem to be with your expertise in college athletics administration? You confuse me.

Oranges to Oranges: They are going to play FCS scholarship football in the Southland Conference.

That means a significant amount of dollars toward the full 63 (if they choose to go with 63 and not follow the Wofford model of 40 or so scholarships) split up to 85 (those numbers look like they will be changing under the new NCAA scholarship allottments). That's a fairly large amount that the school will invest in each potential student.

The great part of using football to help with enrollment management is the ability to draw in players with partial or your walk-on program that potentially offset the out-of-budget expenses for a full scholarship. It goes to the University General Fund because (as I coined in 2003) you are only "robbing Peter to pay Paul."

The money generated from using the sport as a "pay to play" tool HELPS. Imagine that, looking at the actual budget impact of having 40+ players who are paying part or ALL of their tuition, room, and board just to play the sport.

Oranges to Oranges: They see a niche in terms of recruiting students to come to their campus in an area where players want to play at the next level but aren't quite good enough or fast enough for the Longhorns.

East Tennessee has a void for players coming from the REGIONAL service area that might not be scholarship players for FBS or even FCS but they can fill the need for a walk-on program. The great part about a walk-on program (with the icing being the Hope Scholarship) is you get great kids who will become Alumni of your institution, boost the community appeal because these are kids from your neighborhood, and occasionally you get a Scott Carter who will shine for you and earn a scholarship. Running a healthy, regionally-based "preferred" and "invited" walk-on program HELPS PAY THE BILLS because those players generate FTE's that go straight to the general fund.

Oranges to Oranges: Down the road, the presence of football on that campus MIGHT JUST EVENTUALLY help the school position itself for a better conference affiliation. Just sayin'

I could go on but somehow I think Slappy will just have a diatribe about how stupid I am and how stupid we all are for not buying what they've been selling.
11-22-2011 04:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
missletoe9 Offline
Water Engineer

I was an out of state walk on. Even though I never got into a game I was on the football team for 3 years and would not trade the memories for anything. I stoped playing after the 1988 season to concentrate on my grades and went on to graduate with a degree in Communications. I payed full tuition and out of state fees for 4.5 years. I chose ETSU due to its football program and its Broadcasting Dept. It was close enough to home yet far enough away from unannounced parental visits. I am sorry Slappy feels that football offers nothing to the university other than a money drain, but I for one know what it means to me to say I was an ETSU football player.
11-22-2011 08:26 PM
Advertisement

slappywhite Offline
Special Teams

(11-22-2011 04:57 PM)ReturnOfMommaBear Wrote:  

Slappy, will there ever be a time that you won't Poo-Poo something positive related to football? What would it take to hear something positive from you other than tooting your own imaginary horn about how brilliant you seem to be with your expertise in college athletics administration? You confuse me.

Oranges to Oranges: They are going to play FCS scholarship football in the Southland Conference.

That means a significant amount of dollars toward the full 63 (if they choose to go with 63 and not follow the Wofford model of 40 or so scholarships) split up to 85 (those numbers look like they will be changing under the new NCAA scholarship allottments). That's a fairly large amount that the school will invest in each potential student.

The great part of using football to help with enrollment management is the ability to draw in players with partial or your walk-on program that potentially offset the out-of-budget expenses for a full scholarship. It goes to the University General Fund because (as I coined in 2003) you are only "robbing Peter to pay Paul."

The money generated from using the sport as a "pay to play" tool HELPS. Imagine that, looking at the actual budget impact of having 40+ players who are paying part or ALL of their tuition, room, and board just to play the sport.

Oranges to Oranges: They see a niche in terms of recruiting students to come to their campus in an area where players want to play at the next level but aren't quite good enough or fast enough for the Longhorns.

East Tennessee has a void for players coming from the REGIONAL service area that might not be scholarship players for FBS or even FCS but they can fill the need for a walk-on program. The great part about a walk-on program (with the icing being the Hope Scholarship) is you get great kids who will become Alumni of your institution, boost the community appeal because these are kids from your neighborhood, and occasionally you get a Scott Carter who will shine for you and earn a scholarship. Running a healthy, regionally-based "preferred" and "invited" walk-on program HELPS PAY THE BILLS because those players generate FTE's that go straight to the general fund.

Oranges to Oranges: Down the road, the presence of football on that campus MIGHT JUST EVENTUALLY help the school position itself for a better conference affiliation. Just sayin'

I could go on but somehow I think Slappy will just have a diatribe about how stupid I am and how stupid we all are for not buying what they've been selling.

i dont see anything in my post that is negative towrds HBC starting football. maybe you are reading what you want too. if i wanted to say something negetive to mistletoe, i would have gone into the trainwreck at brevard. but again, i did not.

as far as HBC, now that you have explained it, you are right. HBC and ETSU are exactly the same....how could i not see that. you should also take that same message to the new president. good luck to you
11-22-2011 10:02 PM
etsugrad99 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: ETSU with FB
(11-22-2011 10:02 PM)slappywhite Wrote:  

i dont see anything in my post that is negative towrds HBC starting football. maybe you are reading what you want too. if i wanted to say something negetive to mistletoe, i would have gone into the trainwreck at brevard. but again, i did not.

as far as HBC, now that you have explained it, you are right. HBC and ETSU are exactly the same....how could i not see that. you should also take that same message to the new president. good luck to you

Really? Nothing negative in your post?? "Their only team with a winning record is volleyball...they need to add something" - isn't negative? Yeah, maybe they're just reading what they want to.
11-22-2011 10:35 PM
Advertisement

slappywhite Offline
Special Teams

(11-22-2011 10:35 PM)etsugrad99 Wrote:  
(11-22-2011 10:02 PM)slappywhite Wrote:  

Really? Nothing negative in your post?? "Their only team with a winning record is volleyball...they need to add something" - isn't negative? Yeah, maybe they're just reading what they want to.

i dont see anything in my post that is negative towrds HBC starting football.

read it next time....it might do you some good
(This post was last modified: 11-22-2011 10:42 PM by slappywhite.)
11-22-2011 10:41 PM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I Root For: ETSU/Mid Majors
(11-22-2011 08:26 PM)missletoe9 Wrote:  I was an out of state walk on. Even though I never got into a game I was on the football team for 3 years and would not trade the memories for anything. I stoped playing after the 1988 season to concentrate on my grades and went on to graduate with a degree in Communications. I payed full tuition and out of state fees for 4.5 years. I chose ETSU due to its football program and its Broadcasting Dept. It was close enough to home yet far enough away from unannounced parental visits. I am sorry Slappy feels that football offers nothing to the university other than a money drain, but I for one know what it means to me to say I was an ETSU football player.

Totally off topic but if you didn't know, Tom Headley retired. They also got a stimulus grant and the PBS cameras from 1970 are gone.
11-23-2011 10:36 AM
missletoe9 Offline
Water Engineer

Wow so Tom finally retired? The department will miss him for sure. And about time for new stuff.
11-23-2011 12:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.