Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Great article about the rise of UL football
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Thinking big in the 'Ville
Cardinals enter Big East with serious BCS aspirations
Bill Frakes/SI

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- Drivers headed south on I-65 coming out of downtown Louisville this spring have been greeted by a billboard with the message: "THINK BIG." Only the "I" in "Think" is actually a picture of Cardinals quarterback Brian Brohm, and the "I" in "BIG" running back Michael Bush.

It's a catchy marketing slogan, and an appropriate one considering the current state of Louisville football. Not only are the Cardinals about to embark on their first season in a new conference, the Big East, but they're doing so fresh off an 11-1 season and a school-record No. 6 ranking, and with a roster considered even more talented than 2004's.

Thanks to its impending membership in a BCS-affiliated league, a program that just a few years ago was thrilled to be playing in the Motor City Bowl now has realistic aspirations of reaching the Sugar, Orange or ... don't laugh ... Rose Bowl national title game.

"We want to win a national championship here," said Louisville AD Tom Jurich. "Seven years ago, it sounded ridiculous, but now I think it's a legitimate goal."

Jurich's statement will surely be met with its share of skepticism, but not from anyone who watched the Cardinals' game against five-time national champ Miami last season. On a balmy Thursday night at the Orange Bowl, Louisville coach Bobby Petrino's inventive offense had the Hurricanes' renowned defense on their heels all night, gaining 507 yards and holding leads of 24-7, 31-14 and 38-34 before Brock Berlin led Miami on a game-winning touchdown drive in the final minute. Had safety Kerry Rhodes not dropped an easy interception earlier that same series, the Cardinals may have been looking at an undefeated season and BCS bowl berth.

Gone from last year's team, which led the nation in both total offense (539 yards per game) and scoring (49.8 points per game) and which during one five-game stretch never scored less than 55 points, are starting quarterback Stefan LeFors (73.5 percent completions), who led the country in pass efficiency, top receiver J.R. Russell (73 catches, 968 yards) and top rusher Eric Shelton (938 yards, 20 TDs). And yet, practices this spring -- which conclude with Friday night's spring game -- have shown no reason to believe the offense will be any less powerful.

Sophomore Brohm, the former USA Today high school offensive player of the year who spurned Tennessee and Notre Dame to play for his hometown school (where older brothers Jeff and Greg both played and are now on staff), has shown the same clockwork efficiency running Petrino's offense as LeFors, going a combined 38-of-59 for 460 yards and six touchdowns in his last two scrimmages. Tailbacks Bush (another hometown hero and former all-everything recruit) and Kolby Smith, both rising juniors, have demonstrated the same knack for power running as predecessors Shelton and Lionel Gates. And an already deep, veteran receiving corps, led by Joshua Tinch, Montrell Jones and Broderick Clark, has been boosted by the play of breakout star Mario Urrutia, a 6-foot-6 redshirt freshman who has been their top playmaker this spring, and speedy sophomore Harry Douglas.

And they'll be playing alongside four returning offensive line starters, including All-America candidate Travis Leffew.

"I think the ball will be all over the place this year," said Bush. "We have a lot more speed at the receiver spot. And Brian's getting everyone in the right position and right spot, he knows what's going on on the field, like a general."

All the offensive talent in the world, however, doesn't guarantee another season full of 55-7 blowouts for the Cardinals. Say what you want about the Big East, which was considerably down last season after losing heavyweights Miami and Virginia Tech to the ACC (Boston College will follow this fall), but it's a definite step up in competition from Conference USA. With Temple booted from the league after last season, there will be no Tulanes or Houstons to kick around anymore.

While Louisville will likely enter as the prohibitive favorite, Pittsburgh, which won the league with a young team last season, should be even stronger under former NFL head coach Dave Wannstedt, West Virginia has been a consistent winner under Rich Rodriguez and tradition-rich Syracuse could return to prominence under new head coach Greg Robinson. Connecticut is a rising program, and even Rutgers isn't nearly as hapless as it once was. In a challenging and somewhat bizarre schedule, the Cardinals play just three conference home games -- all in November -- while hosting non-conference games against Oregon State, North Carolina and upstart Florida Atlantic, the latter game marking the return of Howard Schnellenberger, who coached Louisville from 1985-94 and led them to the '91 Fiesta Bowl.

Week in and week out, it's going to be much tougher," said Petrino, 20-5 in two seasons at the helm. "We were lucky last year that we could get a lead and play a lot of guys, so our starters didn't have to play a lot of snaps. Therefore we're going to have to make sure we're in great physical condition."

Petrino, who was hired just months before the national conference shakeup that cleared the way for Louisville's move, has been preparing for this day ever since.

"The last two years in recruiting and our offseason program, we've really tried to work on our size and speed along the offensive and defensive lines," he said. "I really thought that would be the difference between the two conferences. Here at Louisville, I think we'll always be able to get the speed and skill, but can you match up with the big, physical guys from the Northeast?"

Off the field, all the pieces are already in place for such a jump. When the visionary Jurich arrived from Colorado State in 1997, Louisville's athletic department, outside of Denny Crum's basketball team, was among the worst in the country, including a football team that had just gone 1-10. Jurich immediately set out to "turn this into a football school," hiring head coach John L. Smith from Utah State, under whom the Cardinals began their current run of seven straight bowl trips (and whose original offensive coordinator was Petrino, who later went to Auburn and the Jacksonville Jaguars), and snapping up Petrino as his replacement nearly the same day Smith left for Michigan State.

He also began a relentless fundraising drive that has seen Louisville more than double its athletic spending to the point where, even while still in Conference USA, its $35 million budget in '03-04 exceeded that of all but one remaining Big East member (Connecticut). Drive along Floyd Road on the east side of campus and you'll see a row of one sparkling new athletic facility after another (the school has invested more than $100 million over the past decade), culminating with 42,000-seat Papa John's Cardinals Stadium, which opened in 1998, and its accompanying state-of-the-art football complex, which houses an 8,500-square-foot weight room.

"There were a lot of naysayers around here and we took a lot of criticism for investing in football. Everybody told us you can't have both [a major football and basketball program]," said Jurich, whose other big hire, Rick Pitino, just led the school to its first Final Four since 1986. "Those people are the same ones trying to jump on [the bandwagon] fast now."

The one thing that could have put a dent in Jurich's grand plan, however, almost took place last December when Petrino nearly left for LSU. His decision to interview with the school prior to the Cardinals' Liberty Bowl game -- just days after agreeing on a new contract, no less, and on the heels of his controversial, secret meeting with Auburn a year earlier -- infuriated Louisville fans and tried the patience of close friend Jurich.

Four months later, Jurich insists that awkward period is "all behind us. I'm a big Bobby Petrino fan. I want Bobby to be here as long as I'm here, and he knows that. If I'm selfish, so be it. He tells me he wants to be here, and I believe him."

With Petrino's guidance, Brohm will likely emerge as one of the nation's top quarterbacks over the next couple seasons. A 6-4, naturally gifted thrower with uncanny poise and maturity, he showed flashes of what's to come as a freshman, playing in nearly every game (an intentional decision by Petrino to ensure he wouldn't go into the Big East with an inexperienced quarterback), completing 67 percent of his passes for 819 yards. In his most memorable moment, he entered the Miami game in the fourth quarter after LeFors suffered a concussion and, on his second series, went 4-of-4 for 37 yards and ran for seven more on a scramble to lead his team to a go-ahead touchdown.

For a Louisville native and lifelong Cardinals fan who grew up watching every game, the fact his ascension to starting quarterback coincides with the program's rise in stature seems like something of a perfect storm.

"I've dreamed since I was a little kid about Louisville making it to the national title," said Brohm. "If I could be the quarterback that led them to that title, it would be a dream come true."
04-25-2005 04:56 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

RIVER CITY PIRATE Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: East Carolina

It can crash hard to in a hurry!! Remember that.
04-25-2005 08:05 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville

And it can rise even higher! 04-cheers
04-25-2005 09:50 PM
Advertisement

L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

RIVER CITY PIRATE Wrote:It can crash hard to in a hurry!! Remember that.
What are you talking about?
04-25-2005 09:57 PM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL

L-yes Wrote:
RIVER CITY PIRATE Wrote:It can crash hard to in a hurry!!  Remember that.
Really. ECU has a solid history for a school that isn't a major traditional power but you have to go back to the '70 to get anything longer than a 3 year run of teams over .500. UofL has 7 straight winning years and is 37-16 this decade, along with a very key AD who simply doesn't slip when making coaching hires. We'll be fine.
04-25-2005 10:17 PM
Advertisement

Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First

CollegeCard Wrote:
L-yes Wrote:
Really. ECU has a solid history for a school that isn't a major traditional power but you have to go back to the '70 to get anything longer than a 3 year run of teams over .500. UofL has 7 straight winning years and is 37-16 this decade, along with a very key AD who simply doesn't slip when making coaching hires. We'll be fine.
CollegeCard you are incorrect on our record this decade. We are 47-16 not 37-16, you are missing about 10 wins.

Our record this decade is the following:
2000 9-3
2001 11-2
2002 7-6
2003 9-4
2004 11-1

That makes our average record this decade 9-3. I do have a bone to pick with Don Nehlan(sp) the WVU former coach. I remember when we first joined the league he criticize our selection saying we are only good for 1 year or two. We have been pretty good since 1998 under John L. Smith. Only under Ron Cooper did we fall apart and we got rid of his sorry butt.
04-25-2005 10:30 PM
L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Maize Wrote:
CollegeCard Wrote:
L-yes Wrote:
CollegeCard you are incorrect on our record this decade. We are 47-16 not 37-16, you are missing about 10 wins.

Our record this decade is the following:
2000 9-3
2001 11-2
2002 7-6
2003 9-4
2004 11-1

That makes our average record this decade 9-3. I do have a bone to pick with Don Nehlan(sp) the WVU former coach. I remember when we first joined the league he criticize our selection saying we are only good for 1 year or two. We have been pretty good since 1998 under John L. Smith. Only under Ron Cooper did we fall apart and we got rid of his sorry butt.
Exactly, in fact minus the Ron Cooper debacle and we've had a nice 20 year run by most any standard. Though the last decade has been the most consistent (minus cooper).

Can you believe that in only a few more seasons JLS' 1st season will have been 10 years ago?

On another note, how does someone unignore anoher poster?
04-26-2005 07:02 AM
Advertisement

SO#1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Connecticut

Jackson1011 Wrote:He also began a relentless fundraising drive that has seen Louisville more than double its athletic spending to the point where, even while still in Conference USA,<span style='color:blue'> its $35 million budget in '03-04 exceeded that of all but one remaining Big East member (Connecticut). </span>Drive along Floyd Road on the east side of campus and you'll see a row of one sparkling new athletic facility after another (the school has invested more than $100 million over the past decade), culminating with 42,000-seat Papa John's Cardinals Stadium, which opened in 1998, and its accompanying state-of-the-art football complex, which houses an 8,500-square-foot weight room.
What you should get out from the article is the above paragraph. They invested in their athletic programs until they simple out grow C-USA. Wins and losses come and go but a commitment to excellent never come cheap. If you want to play on the national stage and compete for national title then it will cost you.
04-26-2005 12:47 PM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!

UC is trying to emulate UofL athletics and hopefully soon we can get our FB team on par with theirs.

UC has upgraded or is upgrading most athletic facilities (Shoemaker Center only one not being addressed now) as part of the new Varsity Village which we have mentioned/shown images of many times on this board.

UC is playing soccer/track and baseball in brand new state of the art stadiums this season. The 3000 seat baseball stadium is one of the best in the NCAA at this point. Nippert stadium (football) is undergoing a partial facelift with a new scoreboard with a video replay screen twice the size of the old one and new end zone seating.

Next year there will be new tennis courts just beyond left field of the new baseball stadium.

The Lindner Center will house new athletic offices, weight room (over 16,000 sq. ft.) , basketball practice courts, athletic/academic hall of fame with suspended trophy cases in a spectacular atrium, and a see-through video screen also suspended from the ceiling. The new student rec center will have a new natatorium, restaurant overlooking Nippert Stadium, student health services, sports medicine facilities.

The old basketball facility, the Armory Fieldhouse, currently used for indoor track is being renovated. The rowing team is getting a new boathouse.

Once all of the current construction is complete AD Bob Goin has said UC will do something about the Shoemaker Center/Fifth Third Arena- either renovate or demolish and build a new one. He has also said he is considering expandng Nippert to about 40,000 seats.

The next challenge at UC is to get more donor $ to support and improve the teams. I participated in a 'think-tank' discussion sponsored by the UCATS organization which is the booster organization for Bearcat athletics. They are actively pursuing obtaining more $ for UC athletics.
04-26-2005 01:17 PM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL

Maize Wrote:CollegeCard you are incorrect on our record this decade. We are 47-16 not 37-16, you are missing about 10 wins.
Thanks for the correction. I checked out the numbers and had 47-16 but made a typo I didn't notice. Blame the keyboard designers for making the 3 too close to the 4! :D
04-26-2005 09:23 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.