Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ISU Beats OSU. The BCS Officially In Chaos...
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
ISU Beats OSU. The BCS Officially In Chaos...
Speaking of all the AQ status and such here's one for ya. 28 point underdogs ran over 100 plays on the BCS #2. See, there is hope for those small conferences and schools. This is that other Big XII school no other conference wanted. Here those BCS computers sizzling? They are melting down. What if Arky beats LSU? Unimaginable....04-cheers
11-19-2011 12:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HuskiemobileMan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, MAC, Cubs
Donators
RE: ISU Beats OSU. The BCS Officially In Chaos...
Is this a call for settling things on the field? Like giving everyone a chance? 16 team playoff with 11 auto bids? Makes sense to me.
11-19-2011 12:18 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ECUPirated Offline
NAPALMINATOR

I Root For: American Rising
There's still one other undefeated team left that could potentially be 13-0 at the end of the season, but won't get a look for obvious reasons.

Playoff --Playoff--Playoff

I wonder how many out there would like to see if Case Keenum could run roughshot over LSU, Alabama, OU, Oregon, etc.
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2011 12:23 AM by ECUPirated.)
11-19-2011 12:19 AM
KnightTower Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF
Boy, if only Boise had a kicker, they might have had a very good chance of going to the Champ Game.
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2011 12:39 AM by KnightTower.)
11-19-2011 12:37 AM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
(11-19-2011 12:19 AM)ECUPirated Wrote:  There's still one other undefeated team left that could potentially be 13-0 at the end of the season, but won't get a look for obvious reasons.

Playoff --Playoff--Playoff

I wonder how many out there would like to see if Case Keenum could run roughshot over LSU, Alabama, OU, Oregon, etc.

The problem is the officials always use that lame excuse that you have to play four more weeks for a 16 game playoff, and it would ruin the Bowl Games. That's total BS. They could start the playoff in December and they could put the eight surviving teams in the four big new years day bowls. Makes all four big bowl games totally relevant, unlike now. Final four plays two weeks of football and you have a real champion... how simple is that? Other smaller Bowls pick from the rest of the top 25, Mid-level conferences, etc. CFB saved, BCS rankings preserved, Holidays still lots of fun...
11-19-2011 12:40 AM
TampaKnight Offline
Knight Family

I Root For: The American
LSU-Houston BCS National Championship has just become a legitimate, but unlikely discussion.
11-19-2011 12:45 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Zombiewoof Offline
1st String

I Root For: players
(11-19-2011 12:45 AM)TampaKnight Wrote:  LSU-Houston BCS National Championship has just become a legitimate, but unlikely discussion.

As long as LSU and Alabama win out, I believe there will be a rematch in the championship game. I also think they are the nation's two best teams, so it's appropriate.
11-19-2011 01:47 AM
cfbfan89 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: West Virjizzle
(11-19-2011 12:45 AM)TampaKnight Wrote:  LSU-Houston BCS National Championship has just become a legitimate, but unlikely discussion.

I dont want to hear of anymore molesting in the NCAA and thats all that would be. The cougers would get bent over and spanked without a doubt!
11-19-2011 01:53 AM
HawaiiMongoose Online
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
(11-19-2011 01:53 AM)cfbfan89 Wrote:  

I dont want to hear of anymore molesting in the NCAA and thats all that would be. The cougers would get bent over and spanked without a doubt!

Absolutely! Just like OSU spanked ISU. 28 point favorites... didn't mean a thing after kickoff.
11-19-2011 02:11 AM
x97 Offline
Banned

I Root For: no one
The system needs to be blown up. I think there is no doubt about that. There are so many teams that could lay claim as being deserving for a national title shot right now. The winner of bedlam. Oregon with an LSU rematch for the national title? Alabama with an LSU rematch for the national title? Hell, I'd even throw Clemson and Houston in there right now. They at least deserve a shot.

And if LSU were to lose in the SEC title game could you definitively pick out the two best teams for a NCG? Hell, picking one would be difficult as having separated itself from the pack....let alone two. Lots of teams could have equal claim to the same opportunity.

I really believe a 16 team playoff is the way to go. You get the 16 best teams in the country and the school that runs 4 games through that gauntlet undefeated is your national champion. Debate over. And the garbage about the regular season having less meaning under such scenario is just that.....garbage. Instead of maybe 3 or 4 games having championship implications each week this late in the season you could realistically have 15, 20 or 25 games with direct relevance as schools on the bubble look to qualify and higher ranked schools look to maintain or improve seeding. The competition would be fierce.

Think of how exciting college bball season gets as it rolls into February and early March and all the projections and opinions about who is in and who isn't. Who is seeded what and who needs to win to maintain seeding. Who's going to upset who in conference tourneys and punch their auto ticket (similar to what CC games in football...ala pac 12 south this year). All schools ranked 10-25 would basically be on the bubble right now. Think of the excitement right there. If you are ranked 10th right now you know if you win out you'll have punched your ticket. If you lose you could be out all together. If you are ranked 25th then you are hoping a strong finish combined with some upsets ahead of you couldl be enough to punch your ticket. Bracketology for college football? Fun stuff. Exciting for many college football fans of many teams. When there are a bunch of schools that haven't separated themselves from the pack (such as this year) it becomes even better. All those schools know they'll get their chance to prove on the field. No one will get left out because of some computer geek's formula says he didn't quite make the cut. Or because voters make have biases toward certain schools or conferences.

How would college football's excitement level not go up or something like that? It's just sad the system is what it is. So many schools with almost identical claims for a "chance" and only 2 will make the cut. It's really too bad.
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2011 05:41 AM by x97.)
11-19-2011 05:28 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
Last night was a college football PLAYOFF game!!

Gotta luv it!
11-19-2011 07:05 AM
Advertisement

CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville

That will never happen. The PAC, Big 12 and Big 10 would never allow it.
CJ
11-19-2011 07:50 AM
ShoreBuc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU
(11-19-2011 07:50 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  

That will never happen. The PAC, Big 12 and Big 10 would never allow it.
CJ

Tulsa might just end that speculation anyway. Heck SMU might have something to say about it today. They knocked off TCU so they are fully capable of beating UH. Love to see UH make a BCS run but any talk of playing in the Championship is pure fantasy based on their SOS. BCS Computer rankings will never get them high enough to sniff that match up even if they go undefeated.
11-19-2011 07:57 AM
westwolf Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: CFB
Yeah. Those Yahoos down in SEC country are ecstatic over the prospect of a "Bama- LSU rematch. I don't think any team which can't win its conference should get in - unless we go to a playoff.
11-19-2011 08:11 AM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
Why does everyone think a playoff would be better? Whatever number you pick (4, 8, or 16) or whatever format you pick (top 16 or 11 champs plus 5 at large) the there will still be an unsatisfied segment of America. Look at the NCAA tourney and all the expansion its gone through for the sake of inclusion. Even with 68 teams in the field, the complaints continue.

Also, much like non-AQ angst over the BCS might result in a system that minimizes their current opportunity, pushing for a playoff might result in reduced scheduling opportunities for non-AQ schools. Think about it, a playoff diminishes the 'value' of a loss, so as opposed to scratching $800K checks for easy body-bag games, the top conferences could schedule each other instead for those vaunted OOC games that everyone seems to want. They won't conference anything save for tiebreakers, as the conference record will be all that matters.
11-19-2011 08:16 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
IMO OSU should have postponed last night's game until today. I'm sure the news about the plane crash that killed their women's basketball coaches was on their minds, which helped contribute to the Cowboys defeat. Props to them for playing the game. But I think they'd have been better off waiting until they had sorted out their emotions...
11-19-2011 10:11 AM
Advertisement

HuskiemobileMan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, MAC, Cubs
Donators
(11-19-2011 08:16 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  Why does everyone think a playoff would be better? Whatever number you pick (4, 8, or 16) or whatever format you pick (top 16 or 11 champs plus 5 at large) the there will still be an unsatisfied segment of America. Look at the NCAA tourney and all the expansion its gone through for the sake of inclusion. Even with 68 teams in the field, the complaints continue.

Also, much like non-AQ angst over the BCS might result in a system that minimizes their current opportunity, pushing for a playoff might result in reduced scheduling opportunities for non-AQ schools. Think about it, a playoff diminishes the 'value' of a loss, so as opposed to scratching $800K checks for easy body-bag games, the top conferences could schedule each other instead for those vaunted OOC games that everyone seems to want. They won't conference anything save for tiebreakers, as the conference record will be all that matters.
Being excluded from a 16 team playoff because you didn't win your conference... you can only blame yourself. Get it done on the field. The key thing about a playoff is that everyone is included and has a chance to be included on the field.
11-19-2011 10:52 AM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN
(11-19-2011 10:11 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  IMO OSU should have postponed last night's game until today. I'm sure the news about the plane crash that killed their women's basketball coaches was on their minds, which helped contribute to the Cowboys defeat. Props to them for playing the game. But I think they'd have been better off waiting until they had sorted out their emotions...

OSU just got exposed by a team UCONN should have beat. Regardless the excuse, they lost. Is there any more reason we need a playoff?
11-19-2011 10:56 AM
3rdandBlunder Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisville
For three quarters of a game, freakin' WKU made it a legit football game against LSU...admittedly LSU rolled 'em in the 4th, but it was only after they pulled their heads out of their rears and realized they had a football game on their hands. They may just find themselves in the same position against a Houston team for a championship.
11-19-2011 11:14 AM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
There is no satisfactory way to have a FBS playoff in which every FBS conference gets an autobid.

In hoops, there are 68 places in the NCAA tournament. Sure, the Ohio Valley Conference gets an autobid just like the Big East does. But with all of the at-large spots (I think there are 34), the Big East gets at least half of their teams in the field -- this year there were 11 Big East teams in the NCAAs -- while the OVC has just one. Really good Big East teams don't get shafted out of the tournament just for being in a really good conference.

Are you ready for a football tournament that is large enough to include at least half of the SEC and between a third and a half of the teams from the other top conferences? Because that's what it would take to be as close to fair as you can get. That's what March Madness is.

And if you're not trying to be more fair, then you've lost the whole rationale for having a playoff at all.
11-19-2011 11:31 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.