Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Houston's Nonconference Schedule
Bookmark and Share
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Houston's Nonconference Schedule
As I understand some Houston posters, CUSA is dragging down Houston and Houston cannot move up in the standings because of the pzzzz poor CUSA teams that drag down the strength of schedule.

My question is why is Houston scheduling Georgia State, UNT, and La Tech for nonconference games? FWIW, Houston beat LaTech by one point.
11-08-2011 08:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hoofbeat83 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: SMU
RE: Houston's Nonconference Schedule
(11-08-2011 08:56 PM)Tallgrass Wrote:  As I understand some Houston posters, CUSA is dragging down Houston and Houston cannot move up in the standings because of the pzzzz poor CUSA teams that drag down the strength of schedule.

My question is why is Houston scheduling Georgia State, UNT, and La Tech for nonconference games? FWIW, Houston beat LaTech by one point.

you conveniently left out UCLA. and you also know (or at least you should by the millions of posts a day you make) that they didn't make up the OOC schedule right before the season started. lay off. your school scheduled 3 toughs and lost all 3. good for you. different strategies, different results. but i like what UH is looking at a lot better than what tulsa is looking at right now.
11-08-2011 09:14 PM
ECUPirated Offline
NAPALMINATOR

I Root For: American Rising
03-zzz
11-08-2011 09:23 PM
pilot172000 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tech/ Bama
That Tech team lost to Southern Miss by 2, Miss St. in over time and beat Fresno by 20.
11-08-2011 09:24 PM
chrisharper80 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Houston
(11-08-2011 08:56 PM)Tallgrass Wrote:  As I understand some Houston posters, CUSA is dragging down Houston and Houston cannot move up in the standings because of the pzzzz poor CUSA teams that drag down the strength of schedule.

I have not heard a single Houston poster claim this. [EDIT: I did in fact just read the one post I assume you were referring to in a different thread. I would suggest that this belief is not widely held by most Houston fans.] If anything, I think most Houston fans give a healthy respect to SMU, Tulsa, and Southern Miss (assuming they win the east). Wins over these three teams would each be legitimate and challenging wins for us.

Also, I don't see any Houston posters claiming we deserve to be in the national championship game, either. We know our non-conference schedule is relatively weak. We know we would be extremely lucky to do any better than the Liberty Bowl, and we will have to bring our A game just to get there.

FWIW, don't underestimate La Tech...they are fairly tough. They took Mississippi State to overtime, and lost to Southern Miss by two, and both of these games were on the road.

And UCLA may have turned out to be a bit of a disappointment this year, but they just beat #19 Arizona State and they currently control their destiny in the Pac 12 south, so all is not lost for them.
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2011 10:29 PM by chrisharper80.)
11-08-2011 09:47 PM
Attackcoog Offline

Houstons in conference schedule is fine. Plus it gets alot tougher in the last 2 games (SMU and Tulsa), so that should help. Southern Miss will be waiting in the championship game if Houston can keep from "coogin it". They played a UCLA game that was scheduled years ago...who knew thay would not be a ranked team this year. The Texas Tech series was supposed to continue this year, but they cancelled. The word I heard was that Houston wanted a another Big 12 team and got no takers.
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2011 09:53 PM by Attackcoog.)
11-08-2011 09:51 PM
Advertisement

T_Won1 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
Houston's schedule so far:

55. La Tech
62. UCLA
83. UTEP
96. Marshall
97. Rice
111. ECU
135. North Texas
175. UAB
205. GA State
11-08-2011 10:20 PM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans

Because no one else will. That's why...05-nono:noisycricket:
11-08-2011 10:20 PM
techdawg88 Offline
Heisman

don't underestimate LaTech, midway through the 3rd quarter they were up 34-7 before that meltdown
11-08-2011 10:52 PM
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(11-08-2011 10:52 PM)techdawg88 Wrote:  

don't underestimate LaTech, midway through the 3rd quarter they were up 34-7 before that meltdown

I will neither underestimate LaTech or overestimate Houston.
11-08-2011 10:53 PM
SMUmustangs Offline
All American

I Root For:
(11-08-2011 09:51 PM)attackfrog Wrote:  Houstons in conference schedule is fine. Plus it gets alot tougher in the last 2 games (SMU and Tulsa), so that should help. Southern Miss will be waiting in the championship game if Houston can keep from "coogin it". They played a UCLA game that was scheduled years ago...who knew thay would not be a ranked team this year. The Texas Tech series was supposed to continue this year, but they cancelled. The word I heard was that Houston wanted a another Big 12 team and got no takers.

What word? from whom , a bar fly. Big12 teams are not afraid to play Houston.
11-08-2011 11:11 PM
Advertisement

CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-08-2011 08:56 PM)Tallgrass Wrote:  My question is why is Houston scheduling Georgia State, UNT, and La Tech for nonconference games? FWIW, Houston beat LaTech by one point.

Because schools won't schedule us now that we're good.

By the way, UCLA is in the hunt for the Pac 12 South division title.

And La Tech is in the hunt for the WAC crown.

Next.
11-08-2011 11:28 PM
OldCoog Offline
1st String

CrappiesCrappies
Since Houston and Tulsa have been in the same conference, their record vs. BCS AQ teams:

Houston: 6-10 (.375)
Tulsa: 1-9 (.100)

One of those six win was an away game against Oklahoma St., who was ranked #5 in the country at that time.
None of our games were against schools like Duke, Indiana, or Baylor (not saying yours were either).
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2011 11:56 PM by OldCoog.)
11-08-2011 11:29 PM
UHCougar07 Offline
2nd String

(11-08-2011 11:11 PM)SMUmustangs Wrote:  
(11-08-2011 09:51 PM)attackfrog Wrote:  Houstons in conference schedule is fine. Plus it gets alot tougher in the last 2 games (SMU and Tulsa), so that should help. Southern Miss will be waiting in the championship game if Houston can keep from "coogin it". They played a UCLA game that was scheduled years ago...who knew thay would not be a ranked team this year. The Texas Tech series was supposed to continue this year, but they cancelled. The word I heard was that Houston wanted a another Big 12 team and got no takers.

And yet, Tech cancelled. The Aggies have refused to play us since the SWC folded. UT hasn't played us in ten years even though we try every year. OSU lost 2 out of 3 in the last five years and have not been too interested in continuing to play. I haven't heard much about our efforts to get games with Baylor, OU, Mizzou, K State, Kansas, ect. However, our AD has said multiple times and at different alumni events that it has been very difficult to schedule BCS opponents and that UH is looking for 1 and 1 deals, but we are forced to take 1 home and 2 away games with the teams we have been able to get. I am not saying it is fear of playing UH, but here has to be some correlation to the fact that we have been beating quite a few BCS opponents and they have been dropping games and not returning to the Rob after a series.
11-08-2011 11:38 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I never said they were afraid. I dont know why there were no takers. Perhaps they not willing to do a home and home. Perhaps they they would rather not risk the "small" chance of losing to a non-AQ team and schedule a weak BCS team. Maybe they feel the regular Big-12 schedule is enough. Go ahead and ask around. Houston wants to play Big 12 teams, especially the old southwest conference teams--its not some big secret. This year, UT played Rice, BYU, and UCLA for thier OOC schedule (Houston played 2 of these same teams). Texas Tech took on mighty Texas State, New Mexico (3-6 in the WAC), and Nevada (5-3 in the WAC). Looks to me like these teams want warm up games and one marginal challenge before the season starts. No big inside source for the information. A Houston columist sometimes makes appearances on a local radio call in show indicated that they like to schedule Big 12 teams but were not able to get anybody this year.
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2011 11:55 PM by Attackcoog.)
11-08-2011 11:39 PM
Comet Offline
All American

I Root For: SMU
Who cares, they're off to the Big East anyway.
11-08-2011 11:46 PM
Advertisement

SMUmustangs Offline
All American

I Root For:
(11-08-2011 11:39 PM)attackfrog Wrote:  

I never said they were afraid. I dont know why there were no takers. Perhaps they not willing to do a home and home. Ask around. Houston wants to play Big 12 teams, especially the old southwest conference teams. No big inside source. A Houston columist sometimes makes appearances on a local radio call in show indicated that they like to schedule Big 12 teams but wernt able to get anybody this year.

For one thing most of the major schools complete their schedules several years in advance. So if Houston wants a game 12 months out naturally there will be no takers.

I beleive most of the Big 12 schools would love to play in Houston but they want a 2 for 1 series. I know OSU just recently completed a 2 for 1 with Houston and I am sure they would do it again, but Houston will not agree.
11-08-2011 11:50 PM
GO Coogs GO!!! Offline
All American

(11-08-2011 09:47 PM)chrisharper80 Wrote:  

I have not heard a single Houston poster claim this.

I believe he is reffering to me. I said our conference schedule is bringing our SOS down. I specifically named UAB and Tulane. Two of the worst teams in CFB.

UAB Sagrin Rating: 167
Tulane Sagrin Rating: 171

The other teams on our conference schedule...

ECU Sagrin: 92
Marshall Sagrin: 77
SMU Sagrin: 45
Tulsa Sagrin: 22
UTEP Sagrin: 81
Rice: 78

Avg w/o UAB and Tulane: 65.83
Avg w/UAB and Tulane: 91.62

Some people need things spelled out for them. Did not knock any other team on our schedule just those 2. If we were in a better conference (one without teams like UAB and Tulane) our SOS would be better and that was the point.

Don't remember if it was LaTech or Georgia State but they were added because Navy backed out of a game versus us this year. So that is why they are on our schedule. They were the filler at the last minute.
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2011 12:04 AM by GO Coogs GO!!!.)
11-08-2011 11:54 PM
OldCoog Offline
1st String

CrappiesCrappies
(11-08-2011 11:54 PM)GO Coogs GO!!! Wrote:  
(11-08-2011 09:47 PM)chrisharper80 Wrote:  

I have not heard a single Houston poster claim this.

I believe he is reffering to me. I said our conference schedule is bringing our SOS down. I specifically named UAB and Tulane. Two of the worst teams in CFB.

UAB Sagrin Rating: 167
Tulane Sagrin Rating: 171

Some people need things spelled out for them. Did not knock any othee team on our schedule just those 2. If we were in a better conference (one without teams like UAB and Tulane) our SOS would be better and that was the point.

Don't remember if it was LaTech or Georgia State but they were added because Navy backed out of a game against us this year. So that is why they are on our schedule. They were the filler at the last minute.

Gerogia St. was the filler...we have multiple games with La. Tech.
11-09-2011 12:01 AM
techdawg88 Offline
Heisman

LaTech lost to the top 2 teams in CUSA(Houston & Southern Miss) by a total of 3 points
11-09-2011 12:07 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.