Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Which option is better for Boise and the Big East?
This poll is closed.
Air Force+Navy+Boise+ BYU 55.56% 20 55.56%
Boise+BYU+SDSU+Navy 13.89% 5 13.89%
Boise+BYU+SDSU+Air Force 25.00% 9 25.00%
Boise+Other 5.56% 2 5.56%
Total 36 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

SDSU and BYU looking like a new bet? Really?
killerontheHorizon Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Uconn
SDSU and BYU looking like a new bet? Really?
"SDSU might go with BYU if Air Force stays. http://brett-mcmurphy.blogs.cbssports.co...2/33174921

Well apparently their is bad blood among these two teams "Jimmer vs Kawhi," type thing. I think it would be good for both schools, however some concerns remain, like will BYU create problems in the BE? Probably not and certainly a school with money and reputaion will try to keep it down a notch to be in AQ league. I say take them both SDSU is up and coming school, and BYU has a good program already in place. I personally like this set up than having Air Force, especially considering SDSU beat them twice already this season and San Diego has a good market that will benefit our TV deal coming up.

If Air Force decides to stay then that would also be beneficial. BYU + Air Force, but they are leaning on staying in the MWC because Navy who has good ties to SDSU and San Diego is skeptical about joining a conference But I can see BYU+Air Force+Navy being invited to the Big East. The question is whether they will accept or not? Air Force wants to be with Navy and Army already said, "no." I think going for money will defeat the purpose of what Army, Navy, and Air Force represent, so I think this will be a ethical and moral issue. Will these teams succeed with the competition in the Big East after all SDSU beat Air Force twice and the pressure for Air Force to do well in the Big East is a bit scary for them. Will navy? In the end it comes down to loyalty and Air Force will incline to stay in the MWC especially because jumping ship for money without all their friends could make the armed forces look bad.

The question is which option will more likely play out in the future? Hard to tell really."
11-07-2011 07:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SmallVoice Offline
Silly String

I Root For: Louisville
RE: SDSU and BYU looking like a new bet? Really?
(11-07-2011 07:02 PM)killerontheHorizon Wrote:  Well apparently their is bad blood among these two teams "Jimmer vs Kawhi," type thing. I think it would be good for both schools, however some concerns remain, like will BYU create problems in the BE? Probably not and certainly a school with money and reputaion will try to keep it down a notch to be in AQ league. I say take them both SDSU is up and coming school, and BYU has a good program already in place. I personally like this set up than having Air Force, especially considering SDSU beat them twice already this season and San Diego has a good market that will benefit our TV deal coming up.

If Air Force decides to stay then that would also be beneficial. BYU + Air Force, but they are leaning on staying in the MWC because Navy who has good ties to SDSU and San Diego is skeptical about joining a conference But I can see BYU+Air Force+Navy being invited to the Big East. The question is whether they will accept or not? Air Force wants to be with Navy and Army already said, "no." I think going for money will defeat the purpose of what Army, Navy, and Air Force represent, so I think this will be a ethical and moral issue. Will these teams succeed with the competition in the Big East after all SDSU beat Air Force twice and the pressure for Air Force to do well in the Big East is a bit scary for them. Will navy? In the end it comes down to loyalty and Air Force will incline to stay in the MWC especially because jumping ship for money without all their friends could make the armed forces look bad.

The question is which option will more likely play out in the future? Hard to tell really."

Two or more academies joining a conference together won't be construed by anybody as "going after the money" - it would strengthen their ties to one another, help the schools improve their other sports. I still say Navy & AF come in together.

I still don't understand what the bad blood comment was about. Where did you see that? It wasn't in the McMurphy story you linked to.
11-07-2011 07:15 PM
killerontheHorizon Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Uconn
(11-07-2011 07:15 PM)SmallVoice Wrote:  
(11-07-2011 07:02 PM)killerontheHorizon Wrote:  Well apparently their is bad blood among these two teams "Jimmer vs Kawhi," type thing. I think it would be good for both schools, however some concerns remain, like will BYU create problems in the BE? Probably not and certainly a school with money and reputaion will try to keep it down a notch to be in AQ league. I say take them both SDSU is up and coming school, and BYU has a good program already in place. I personally like this set up than having Air Force, especially considering SDSU beat them twice already this season and San Diego has a good market that will benefit our TV deal coming up.

Two or more academies joining a conference together won't be construed by anybody as "going after the money" - it would strengthen their ties to one another, help the schools improve their other sports. I still say Navy & AF come in together.

I still don't understand what the bad blood comment was about. Where did you see that? It wasn't in the McMurphy story you linked to.

"Bad Blood," stems from accusations of rigged games in football when BYU played SDSU last season, not to mention on the Mtn west conference boards they show no shame in announcing that BYU did them wrong. I don't know if its true, but BYU fans have really made a bad impression on the Mountain West.

http://www.aztecmesa.proboards.com/index...read=16090

That is just one of many sources when I type in, "Bad Blood SDSU vs BYU," in Google, but I think that's a good thing because it created rivalries and makes the competition stronger. To be honest I don't know if there is bad blood between them but some tend to think so. Competition is good though, and if BYU and SDSU come to the Big East I think this will help both programs achieve success.
11-07-2011 08:27 PM
BSUHotLady Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Boise
I like SDSU and BYU I hope both will join the Big East. A bit confused about the bad blood though. I thought BYU and SDSU had mutual respect for each other, regardless it should be a good show down when these two teams face. Definitely looking forward to what happens in the next couple weeks.

Don't have crazy thought though, both teams will be swept by Boise when they join, or if they join. I think the Armed forces should stay because they can't be involved with greed and money. The armed forces should stay innocent for the sake of the government and not be involved in the craziness of college sports. I can only see the armed forces go into the BE if everyone goes in and that includes the Army. The armed forces must remain together and neutral to college sports. Lets not taint them now, because they must remain pure and righteous. But that's just a women's perspective. I just can't see them going.
11-07-2011 08:47 PM
SmallVoice Offline
Silly String

I Root For: Louisville
Nothing makes for a good conference like a good rivalry and SDSU fans hate BYU. There are tens of thousands of BYU fans in San Diego and they can fill half the stadium or basketball arena when they play. If they were both in the Big East it would be a rivalry to get some national attention, I think.
11-07-2011 09:09 PM
Advertisement

Mestophalies Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF
(11-07-2011 09:09 PM)SmallVoice Wrote:  Nothing makes for a good conference like a good rivalry and SDSU fans hate BYU. There are tens of thousands of BYU fans in San Diego and they can fill half the stadium or basketball arena when they play. If they were both in the Big East it would be a rivalry to get some national attention, I think.

I think it's interesting but I'm still not sold on the East Coast meets Weat Coast Conference yet. I do agree that having them and perhaps building a 16 team Football SuperConference would be awesome. It just depends on if the fans will travel that far.

Nothing helps a teams press release more then having a full house for their games. Win or lose, they look all the better for it. 03-melodramatic
11-07-2011 09:15 PM
Cooglius Caeser Offline
Banned

I Root For: Houston
I've read their boards in the MWC. There's not much hatred between the two schools that there isn't elsewhere. Jealousy that someone left the fold maybe...but nothing serious.
11-07-2011 09:18 PM
UCbball21 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
I don't understand why SDSU is even on the radar personally. Why extend that far west to add a mediocre program? Boise St. is one thing but SDSU? Their are plenty of other teams in the East that would be of equal if not higher quality additions such as ECU or even Temple or Memphis.
11-07-2011 09:21 PM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
But why not all five? We can and should add BYU, Boise, Air Force, Navy, and SDSU. The real question is: who should be #14?

Doesn't this make sense? Am I missing something?
11-07-2011 09:22 PM
Advertisement

UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
(11-07-2011 09:21 PM)UCbball21 Wrote:  I don't understand why SDSU is even on the radar personally. Why extend that far west to add a mediocre program? Boise St. is one thing but SDSU? Their are plenty of other teams in the East that would be of equal if not higher quality additions such as ECU or even Temple or Memphis.

I think the conference will be better off if we get a stable western division. That way, the western schools will "buy into" the conference with a deeper commitment.

SDSU fits the mold of urban schools with high potential (Houston, SMU, Louisville, Cincinnati, USF, UCF, Boise, etc.). The we can add a #14 school (Temple, Memphis, Army, or ECU).
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2011 09:28 PM by UConn-SMU.)
11-07-2011 09:26 PM
Metacog Drivel Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UCF
Brett Mcmurphy reported that SDSU prefers an All-sports invite...haha, what a joke.
11-07-2011 09:32 PM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL
I much prefer sticking at 12. #13 and #14 are not bringing extra revenue or BCS help (if any it is very minimal) and will result in less revenue for the first 12.

Ideally we get AF & BYU for 12. If either one declines, I suppose SDSU is the best of the rest for 12th out west. We shouldn't be adding SDSU as a 13th though.
11-07-2011 09:39 PM
Mestophalies Offline
1st String

(11-07-2011 09:39 PM)CollegeCard Wrote:  I much prefer sticking at 12. #13 and #14 are not bringing extra revenue or BCS help (if any it is very minimal) and will result in less revenue for the first 12.

Ideally we get AF & BYU for 12. If either one declines, I suppose SDSU is the best of the rest for 12th out west. We shouldn't be adding SDSU as a 13th though.

Actually, you could add Southern Miss who has points and another team in a large TV market and be win-win for the conference. So yes even moving to 14 or 16 teams can be a win for the Big East depending on who is in and who is left out. 03-idea

Memphis adds BBall history and Cred, Temple adds a decent BBall and FBall team, Southern Miss adds Football History and Points, Nevada, Tulsa and SDSU all have decent new teams with fair sized markets, ECU has a large ravenous fan base. All have merits. Some more then others. It just depends on what the BE is looking for.
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2011 09:50 PM by Mestophalies.)
11-07-2011 09:45 PM
Advertisement

CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL
(11-07-2011 09:45 PM)Mestophalies Wrote:  
(11-07-2011 09:39 PM)CollegeCard Wrote:  I much prefer sticking at 12. #13 and #14 are not bringing extra revenue or BCS help (if any it is very minimal) and will result in less revenue for the first 12.

Actually, you could add Southern Miss who has points and another team in a large TV market and be win-win for the conference. So yes even moving to 14 or 16 teams can be a win for the Big East depending on who is in and who is left out. 03-idea

No thanks. At the moment USM has zero BCS points. Perhaps they have a handful after this year, but not enough to matter. It would be a net loss overall for the conference and I say that while fully aware that they always win at least 6 or 7 football games a year.
11-07-2011 09:49 PM
UCbball21 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
There is no benefit from going to 14 teams with the current list of candidates, maybe down the road a team like SDSU becomes the next Boise St. and then you revisit expansion but for now 12 team conference should be the only configuration in the discussion.
11-07-2011 09:50 PM
Mestophalies Offline
1st String

(11-07-2011 09:50 PM)UCbball21 Wrote:  There is no benefit from going to 14 teams with the current list of candidates, maybe down the road a team like SDSU becomes the next Boise St. and then you revisit expansion but for now 12 team conference should be the only configuration in the discussion.

I think your not thinking ahead. The B1G is at 12 teams and will expand to keep pase with the ACC and SEC, so look to minus 2 teams by 2015. Also the idea of the 16 team supers will not go away. It will be here and yes the BE will be on the menu. So having 12 teams is not doing anything to prevent a raid. Make a large conference in all time zones and hit as many major markets as possible. Then get those teams into a lucrative money making contract and batten down the hatches for the coming storm.

It is comming so why not be prepared.01-lauramac2
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2011 09:58 PM by Mestophalies.)
11-07-2011 09:54 PM
cardshouse Offline
UofL 4 Playoff!

I Root For: UofL Cardinals
So. Miss should be in...They are top 25 and no different than Boise St. when it comes to markets...Closer to Houston & SMU as well....I don't care about SD St. & BYU. Louisville has nothing in common with those teams. BYU and a national following...Never met a BYU fan. They must be hiding in caves.
11-08-2011 02:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.